commander jennilovesryan's favorite challenge on the citadel

We fight or we die!!! That's the plan!

Ok, sorry that was such a dramatic entrance. But it is kind of true for me even though I doubt it'll be death by reapers. More like an early death by obesity, drinking too much, not moving around enough.

And life is awesome so who wants that?

On to the real plan!!!

Main Quest
To wear a size 7 again. My N7 suit doesn't fit anymore and they don't make them in a 14.

My Goals
Hit the gym for 20 minutes 3 times a week.
Eat paleo from breakfast to lunch at very least.
Hit the yoga studio or the gaiam videos at least 2 times a week.

Life Quest
Move to Portland. Florida is a blazing inferno of hot and my family needs change. Mainly the median age level kind of change.

My Motivation
Adding as many life points to my health bar as possible so I can be with little clan of people for as long as possible.

I am so excited to have found this site. It is like kismet since I just started trying to not feel like crap again. Hugs and wish me success!
post-38254-0-65983600-1428773557_thumb.j

• Like 10

aka lizardpits aka cocoa goddess

challenge #1 challenge CURRENT #2

level 2 gargoyle

1.5 str 2 dex 1.5 sta 4 con 3 wis 5 cha

BE PRESENT. OR BRING PRESENTS MAYBE? MAYBE BOTH.

Yeah, you can do it. And your goals will help you to achieve a better health.

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

We are kindred souls. I am hoping to move to Portland (or Charlottesville VA...depending) from the blazing hot inferno full of old people we both call home currently. I am hoping to lose weight and do yoga and get healthier and all that jazz and yeah, we should be friends  :) 

Hi :) I'm Bekah the Druid Ambassador and I am here to let you know that if you need any help with anything along the way, I'm your girl. So ask me anything you want, vent, scream, cry, virtually throw shit, whatever :) I am here. If I dont know the answer, I know the super Nerd Wizards who know EVERYTHING and can give me the answer :)

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid Ambassador :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

We for sure need to be friends and I totally appreciate you being here for support. Hope I can lend the same right backatcha. Especially if one day we could be neighbors! When do you aim to move? We want to leave by then end of summer but nothing concrete yet. Let me just say how amped up I'm not to live through some more 100 degree weather. Yippee!

Big Hearts!

level 2 gargoyle

As someone who hails for the Blazing Inferno but has relocated to north of Hell and is also undertaking her first challenge I bid you good luck in all of your goals!

• Like 1

"How does one become a butterfly? You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar."

-Chouji Akimichi 

33.33%
33.33%

BBWW: 6 of 18

37.5%
37.5%

Yoga: 9 of 24

46.15%
46.15%

Brown bag lunch: 12 of 26

Current

Happy First Challenge Day Beautiful People!

This will probably be my longest update since I did my maths and figured out how to grade myself. Now I am going to share it with you guys but not too much (the actual table and such) because boring.

On to the accountability! At the end of the first 3 weeks this can happen if I get an A in each category:

For my gym attendance I can get a total possible of 4 points with 2 being allotted for STR and 2 being allotted for STA.

For my yoga attendance I can get a total possible of 4 points with 2 being allotted for DEX and 2 being allotted for WIS.

For my paleo meals I can get a total possible of 2 points with 2 being allotted for CON.

At the end of the 6 week process this can happen if I have an A in each category again (based off attendance, etc.)

For overall more hotness 3 total possible points to CHA.

If there has been more measurable progress towards our move to Portland the 1 leftover can also be awarded to CHA. This is because everyone looks better less sweaty and grumpy and bored.

Oh and I think I would be a gargoyle. The thought of having wings and horns? Oh yes please. Plus I'm a little stocky.

On to my first day!

FOOD: I had 3 scrambled organic free range vegetarian fed chicken eggs with red onion & tomato for breakfast. I used a little bit of bacon fat for the eggs and coconut oil for the veggies before I married them together with a dusting of salt and pepper. I just love, love, love water and so that is all I've had to drink.

No alcohol for the last 2 days. Alcohol is my downfall. I'll be good all day, get stressed, then ruin it all with alcohol. Or be like hey, I earned this cider/beer/rum & diet. It isn't an everyday thing but it's been 2 or 3 days a week before. And did I mention that I never smoke cigarettes unless I drink? And the next day my anxiety is always out of control. So it's pretty serious that I dramatically cut back or just don't drink at all. So confetti! Nothing for the last 2 days!

I'll have a spinach salad with almonds and organic chicken thigh strips later for lunch. Woot.

Dinner will be tacos but I'll eat mine without any sort of shells. And lots and lots of fresh salsa. I'll eat salsa right out of the container like a gangster if you don't stop me. 

GYM DAY: Turned on Spotify and listened to my pop punky playlist. If anyone has awesome playlists I can follow I think my name is jennilovesryan on Spotify too. This one from today is titled "Cleaning Yo" even though that isn't quite what I was doing this morning. lol. It has other genres that aren't punk on it but it's probably my most pop punky list right now.

To warm up I did a quick 2 miles on the bike, level 1 with rollers. Yeah, it's wussy but my legs still kind of hurt from some of the kettle bell squat stuff I did the other day. XP

I worked out with my husband today. He leads the way when it comes to our strength training so if you want to know the science behind his method I wouldn't be able to explain. We did chest & biceps. He wants what we jokingly call a "monster boob" chest. I personally don't need to have a monster boob chest but whatever. I'm sure it's still good for me. Maybe I'll start to eventually hate my bras less? If you know the benefits let me know but otherwise I'll still ignorantly enjoy chest day either way.

We do 4 sets starting with 10 reps each, increasing weight as we go and then working each weight till exhaustion. Today for me that max weight looked like this:

Bench press 65 lbs. 4x last set

Incline bench press 55 lbs. 4x last set

Incline dumbbell flyes 15 lbs. 6x last set

Seated dumbbell curls 20 lbs. 4x last set

Barbell curls 40 lbs 1x last set

Then we were done! I usually like to end my time at the gym with a leisurely treadmill walk but husband's shoulder hurt so I didn't make him wait to go home.

I'll try to update at least twice a week. I would like to do it once a day since it'll help me stay motivated but no promises.

It took a little over an hour taking turns with the hubster, which is well beyond my parameters. I feel good now and I might just go for a swim in our pool since it's unseasonably hot. Go figure, lol.

I can't wait to read about everyone else's first day! It has been so fun seeing all of the shared goals, stories, and motivations.

level 2 gargoyle

Welcome, fellow N7!! (Seriously, ME is my favoritist video game evar.)

• Like 1

Level 4 Halfling Warrior

| STR 9.5 | DEX 0 | STA 4.2 | CON 6.68 | WIS 6.9 | CHA 4.3 |

Current Challenge

--

Get obsessed with consistency in the actions that feed the goal. Getting obsessed with the goal won't work and neither does having moderate goals. It's like thinking about laying down perfect brick after perfect brick rather than going nuts over when you'll see a building emerge.

-- Amir Siddiqui

Quoted in JC Deen's Staying Leaner Longer

Twitter | Instagram | DeviantArt

ME = Mass Effect. It is a sci-fy rpg masterpiece of a trilogy. Emotionally gripping, choice based, exciting, sigh. It's absolutely brilliant. I played the trilogy on xbox but they make it for computers too. I love video games, especially games like Mass Effect. *Insert Massive Fangirling Here* XD

level 2 gargoyle

SKIPPING DOWN THE KINGS ROAD DAY #2

Hello Party People! I hope you guys are all kicking mucho ass (which I am sure that you are)!

FOOD

Today my food was exactly the same as above because I'm quite the predictable person until it becomes boring. Then I'll have to switch things up. Luckily I have a plethora of paleo options between here, the internets, and books. I shared a link to Nerd Fitness on two of the groups I am a member of on Facebook: Gaming Mommies and Gaming Mommies Fitness and wow did I get some positive feedback about it here! Another member shared her pintrest board for clean eating that had lots of great ideas as well. If you are on Facebook, love games, and happened to have bred you should look into these two groups. Lots of cool people there and if you are into games they have guilds, gaming nights, contests, and all sorts of fantastical stuffs like that.

Oh, and the salad that I had today and yesterday is pretty epic. I used spinach, bacon, olive oil, red onion, tomatoes, olive oil, organic skinless boneless roast chicken thigh, with salt and pepper. Nom nom. You probably wouldn't want to make out with me afterwards because of the onions but that is my husband's problem, not yours.  :playful:

GYM DAY AGAIN

Today was gym day with my man pretty husband again. We did legs and ab. Notice I said ab. This is because we only did one exercise for them. I listened to shoegazing sort of music, kind of dreamy and spacey.

I did the bike for 2 miles on level 1 again. Mostly because my husband broke his toe a few weeks back and doesn't really have the capability to do much cardio. This is a new and exciting excuse for today because I know what I want to be trying to do which is the run walk method on the treadmill. I would love to run a Disney race one day but I hate the training for it. Running doesn't come naturally to me but I really would love to get all of the cool race bling. I also would love to run the Zombie 5k in Tampa in August if we are still here. But right now it makes sense to my brain to say, "you don't want to make your boo wait for that extra 10 minutes while you selfishly train on your 5k app" because easy way out. Maybe you all could scold me a bit on that? Or perhaps I should just focus on the quests I have currently and not feel guilty?

We did our 4 sets starting with 10 reps each with increasing weight per set until exhaustion with the max weight and reps as below:

Leg Press 160 lbs. x10

Keg extension 60 lbs. x8

Prone leg curl 60 lbs. x8

Standing Calf Raises 70 lbs. x10

Squats with the bar only with the box to work on form: just the bar x10

**I still don't think that my form is right. I feel the squat in my thighs and around my knees and not my butt. Even making sure my squat is deep enough it doesn't feel right. Any tips? Maybe I should you tube this?**

Decline crunches body weight x12

Voila! We were finished!

And can I just say that I am so JAZZED THAT IT IS STRAIGHT UP YOGA TOMORROW. YASSSSSSSSSS! :panda: Panda Dance, Panda Dance, Jenni Does the Panda Dance! :panda:

I need the lengthening after all the lifting of the heavy things and meditation to stay on track. So excited! <3

OTHER STUFFS

I've been trying to use as many natural products as possible as part of my overall life improvement experience. I want to talk about natural toothpaste. I don't think I like it but fluoride in regular toothpaste scares the bejeezus out of me after reading things about it. One of the reasons I want to move to Portland is that they refuse to put fluoride in their public drinking water. We have well and septic here so I don't have to worry about it.

Anyway, I use Tom's of Maine Peppermint Crème and it's plain frigging awful. At first it's a little bit minty and then it turns into metallic yuck mess in my mouth. I have nasty boggart breath after waking up but bonus: my teeth seem clean still. So if you don't get too close I suppose it's all good. With that said, I'll leave it at that. I'm going to have to try again with a different brand after this is all gone. If anyone has suggestions I am all about it.

Ok, I think I've vomited at the mouth enough for one day! Talkatcha soon!

• Like 1

level 2 gargoyle

Oh, and the salad that I had today and yesterday is pretty epic. I used spinach, bacon, olive oil, red onion, tomatoes, olive oil, organic skinless boneless roast chicken thigh, with salt and pepper. Nom nom.

That sounds good. I'll try it one out sometime.

And it seems you had a great start into your challenge. Congraz! Keep rocking!

• Like 1

STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Fencing? Do you mean me?

I'm doing swordsmanship with an arming sword. Soon I want to try out combat with a shield, too.

I haven't joined a professional group until now. But when I have enough money, I want to join a school for historical combat.

• Like 1

Spoiler

You can read in my introduction, how I got to HEMA. I'm to lazy to rewrite it. Just click on the link in my sig.

And yes there are schools for this. Schola Gladiatores is only a German thing, but I'm sure there are some HEMA schools in the USA as well. But that reminds me, that I have to renew my signature. That's still the progress bar from my last challenge.

Edit: sorry if I sounded a little unfriendly. I'm a bit tired from a long day. Fencing is really cool. It just can get a little expensive with all the Equipment. I'll gibe you some youtubelinks, if you are really intrested. ;)

• Like 1

Spoiler

You know, one of the best things you can give to your boo, is taking the best care of you that you can. That INCLUDES making him sit for a few and rest after a workout while you finish yours. I can just about guarantee he will admire you for that dedication and respect you for it. If he works out too, he will get it and be fine with it, and if he isn't, well, me and him can have a chat ;) 

• Like 2

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid Ambassador :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

You know, one of the best things you can give to your boo, is taking the best care of you that you can. That INCLUDES making him sit for a few and rest after a workout while you finish yours. I can just about guarantee he will admire you for that dedication and respect you for it. If he works out too, he will get it and be fine with it, and if he isn't, well, me and him can have a chat ;)

love this!!! XD

• Like 2

level 2 gargoyle

YOGA DAY #3 HOORAY

Namaste!

Today I finally got back to the yoga studio. For the most part I've been a stay at home mom for the last 6 years or so. My industry background is in real estate/construction and I've dabbled part time in both on and off the last few years.

I had a full time job that I quit just recently because 1. I worked around a toxic person and 2. We really want to move to Portland. The toxic person was the main issue and although this person's attitude didn't disturb my work for the most part the sludgy miserable vibes were killing my spirit and making me stressed out. Being empathetic is no joke and there were times that the individual would be on the other side of the building with the door closed and I could still feel the yucky.

What does that have to do with yoga? Well, since the job was a commute and I have to wrangle the tiny humans after I came home I wasn't practicing like I like to. And the weekends, forget it. I was too busy being lazy, eating or drinking something horrible, or making excuses why I couldn't fire up the gaiam app and do my thing.

BUT WHAT DID YOU EAT TODAY.....

I ate the same ass things as yesterday. Giggle. Actually I mixed it up a little and put bacon and baby portabella mushrooms in my eggs this morning. Total anarchy, right? I am currently drinking a suja organic berry goodness which I don't like to do too often because 1 bottle has 36 grams of sugar. For the most part though all I drink is water so I guess it's ok to mix it up once and awhile.

Tonight's dinner is going to be bomb! Publix greenwise organic ribeye steaks were on sale so I picked up two very beautiful marbled slices. I also grabbed a nice big bag of fresh snap peas so maybe I'll infuse some olive oil with garlic and drizzle it over them to complete my meal. Ryan wanted a baked potato and I didn't find myself jealous about it. The more green the better, I can live without potatoes.

AT THE STUDIO

Today was level one yoga with a new teacher that I have never practiced under before. She was a tall and lean woman that seemed to really reach out and feel the energy level of the class. She took the time to welcome me back to the studio, as she was outside the classroom when I chatted with the owner about how things had been going for us.

Level one is exactly how it sounds, beginner level but not gentle practice per say.

This was excellent for me since it has been a handful of months. I was kind of nervous about looking silly being out of practice but I felt right at home as the teacher assured us of yoga being a place of no judgment. As we glided through the sun salutations and warrior poses my body started to release it's kinks to be ready for half pigeon, two handed bow, and other poses that really made me feel right at home again in the universe. *Insert Dreamy Sigh here*

When we concluded class I cleaned my mat with my lavender essential oil spray and felt like a new human. It never ceases to amaze me how good yoga practice makes me feel.

OTHER STUFFS...

Now that I am nice and relaxed after an at home meditation session I wanted to continue my saga with switching to natural products. Since I am so very zen I feel at peace to tell everyone about my harrowing experiences with natural deodorant. It isn't quite as terrible as natural toothpaste but it takes some adjustment and brand shopping to figure it all out. I wanted to quit using my usual Secret brand because of the aluminum in it. Plus I just want to reduce my carbon footprint over all and buy sustainable products that do the least amount of harm to the environment as possible. There is no way this could go horribly wrong, right?

So, the first product I tried was all natural, vegan, organic stuff from a seller that got excellent reviews on Etsy. To make sure that nobody has the wrong impression of an overall wonderful small business I will refrain from mentioning any names. I was so excited to open it up and slather my armpits in the rich goodness of nature until I realized that it made me smell like a million cough drops. My daughter was like "ew, you stink like a cherry halls". But alas, I am doing my duty for the Earth so I valiantly trudged on wearing my new stuff despite people asking me if I was congested. It also stained my clothes. I guess coconut butter doesn't mix with cotton.. Anyway, this went on for about 2 weeks or so before I woke up one morning with angry, red, reptilian armpit skin. As I brushed painful menthol scented skin flakes from one of the most sensitive places on my body I had to admit defeat and retire my herbal stick to the garbage can.

With this being said and me being ever dedicated to my cause, I went to Publix and bought Tom of Maine's soothing calendula deodorant. You would think I would be adverse to using this brand since their toothpaste is so gross but NOPE, I still plunked down my $6 because I like to live dangerously.

And I LIKED IT. Note, if you were planning on running a marathon you probably would want to bring the stick with you. I apply it twice daily if I work out and decide to be disgusting and not shower afterwards. And these natural types of deodorants aren't going to protect you from sweating as much. But I don't smell bad or like a hippy, which is important to me. I HATE the smell of patchouli, it makes me gag. And this doesn't smell like that. I can't exactly explain what it smells like, maybe a flowery cedar scent? It doesn't matter though because at the end of the day I don't smell like body odor.

Hope you enjoyed the super personal trip into my medicine cabinet/stinky arm caves. Hope your third day has been as terrific as mine! I look forward to seeing everyone's progress, it really keeps me going. <3

• Like 4

level 2 gargoyle