Kaylya works on Consistency

Kaylya

I have a 10k race on May 10th, and shortly after this challenge is my first Triathlon (A Sprint, with a 500m swim, 23.7km bike, 5km run). And Ultimate Season starts up right at the end of this challenge. The weather is getting nicer, and it's time to start biking to work!

Fitness Goals:

I really want to focus on consistency, and sticking to a plan. I have been pretty active, but not quite as consistent with my workouts as I'd like, I'm pretty good at telling myself I'll make up today's workout tomorrow and then not doing it, though I'm also pretty good at not letting that go on for too long ;) The good news is I'm in shape for completing my tri and 10k, so it's more about getting a bit better!

I will run 3 times per week. Once Ultimate starts, it will be one of those 3.

I will bike 2-3 days per week. 1-2 of these will be biking to work, the other will be a long ride on the weekend.

I will swim 2 times per week. I have started going with a friend on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

This is my ideal schedule for the first 5 weeks:

Monday: Run (Short)

Tuesday: Swim, Bike (Commute)

Wednesday: Run (Commute)

Thursday: Bike (Commute), STR/Yoga

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Long Run, Swim

Sunday: Long Bike. STR/Yoga

The workouts in italics are optional; in particular, the Tuesday bike is more for an alternate if the weather looks poor for Thursday or for later on once the commute ride is pretty easy. I can switch things around with a good reason, but, I don't feel like it today isn't a good reason. I will evaluate myself based on how well I stick to my plan. The week of my 10k, I'm exempted from a long bike :) Once Ultimate starts up (the last week of the challenge) I'll switch things up to accommodate it.

Life Goals:

I've reached a point where I'm itching for change in my career. I'd like to dedicate at least 2 hours each week and an average of 4 hours per week to things that will help with that - learning some new technologies, attending networking events, polishing my resume, actually applying for some different jobs.

• Like 1

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

Consistency is an awesome goal, Kayla.

Your goals look good. Are you thinking you'll up your workouts during the challenge or does completing these do what you need to get the results you want? Do you have any PRs you want to shatter to make you fitter for the races you have coming?

Good luck!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

10k: My one and only 10k, from last spring is at 1:08:46, my realistic goal is under 1:05 and my stretch goal is under 1 hour. I plan to 10/1 run/walk; and this time I plan to actually run farther than 10k before the race (I did a little over 9k today, I plan to top out at about 11 in 2 weeks). I did a sub 30 5k in the fall, though I was doing more speedwork then.

Sprint Tri: I am mostly in it to finish and see if I like Triathlon. I would be pretty happy with less than 1:40, ecstatic to get under 1:30. Biking is still a big unknown; I haven't done any real riding outside since I signed up and I think I have the most room for improvement there, and not just because its the longest part of the race. I should be able to get out for a real ride outside tomorrow though!

• Like 1

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

Biked 20.5km in a little over an hour, on a mixed use pathway where you're not supposed to go more than 20km/h. I'm trying to think if I've ever gone out on my bike so early in the season that there are still some patches of snow in places - I don't remember ever doing it before. If I ever have, I'm sure I had mountain bike style tires! Biking on snow doesn't work so well with fairly smooth tires (mostly I got off and walked around them unless it was just a little patch)

My seat post seems to like to not stay up. I should probably take my bike in for a tuneup and see if they can do anything about that. The good thing is I only want it about 1" above the bottom, but that inch does seem to make a difference!

I really feel like the indoor cycling I've done has made a difference :)

Started off with a morning run.

My short runs I want to start at 20 minutes and work up to 30.

My Saturday long runs I want to take up to 11k before my 10k; after the 10k, I may use that time more for 5kish runs with some speed and keep my run home (~7km) as my longest run. I also might sometimes run home via the route that I bike, which is just shy of 10km (along a recreational pathway; it's both safer and I don't have to stop for so many lights).

I'm aiming to do my first bike commute of the season this Thursday. Once I get into it I'll probably take some longer routes home some days.

The bike is the single biggest variable in Tri, it is where you spend the most time, so you make your biggest gains there.  Followed by the run, also, you might want to do some research on "body glide".  You can chafe some sensitive parts on the swim, not notice it on the bike, and when you start running = ow!   Also, make sure you work a couple "brick" workouts in prior to racing.  running fresh off the the bike is an experience you want to be used to prior to the race.  Otherwise, good luck and I hope you enjoy it!

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.

Mileage

Swim 11.1/18 miles

61.7%
61.7%

Bike 207/465 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Run 44.9/101 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Went swimming with my friends, again at a "real" 25m pool :)

Kinda lost count, but somewhere around 1600m in 46 minutes. I was kinda thinking my friends would want to stop first so I kept going ;) I spent most of my time in the "medium fast" lane, which I do think encouraged me to go a bit faster than when I'm at the pool at my gym and the other swimmers are doing a leisurely head up breast stroke. I may have done 500m in 11:24; but I think I probably lost count and that was 450m or something, because that's a lot faster than I've done it before (though it's the first time I've timed it in a 25m pool).

• Like 1

Nice, sounds like you really are getting jazzed about getting more speed in your laps! Awesome-sauce as Strickland would say. Or is it B, oh boy who gets the credit here? Ah well, both I reckon!

Happy Laps!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

The math sez, that your five hundred would have been at 2.3min per 100 while you averaged 2.9min/100 over the 1600.  Did fell like you slowed down significantly as you went on?  Either way that is a solid workout.

Mileage

Swim 11.1/18 miles

61.7%
61.7%

Bike 207/465 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Run 44.9/101 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Alas it's forecast to be below freezing tomorrow morning, so I won't make it my first bike commute of the year. Because ice, plus, I'd need very different clothing for the morning (-1 to 0 C around the time I'd be commuting) and evening (17C), and it becomes difficult to carry around 2 sets of biking clothes plus my clothes for work... I will get out for around 40 minutes of biking in the evening instead.

Got in that 40 minute bike ride (aka more cycling than going to work, but less than both ways).

No work on the career stuff yet (I did do stuff on Sunday, before it was officially part of the challenge), but I've finally ordered parts for a new computer, and I also just need to do one more check on taxes to submit those (they're due the 30th here)

Ran a little over 10km today, 10/1 run/walk intervals. Officially my furthest run ever.

Refueling and rehydrating then off to the pool with my friend; I'll go pick up my computer stuff after swimming as the store is near the pool. They had everything but the new monitor I wanted in stock, but that's not a critical part :)

26km bike today with sis in law. Also I've been disassembling then re assembling the computer; took longer to get it apart than I thought! Still working on that.

Week 1 summary:

Swim/Bike/Run: Check

Strength: Fail

Career work: Fail

I did a fair bit of career work last weekend; but this week, getting the new computer ordered and set up ate into that time. There was an event I wanted to go to on Tuesday that I went to register for and found it was sold out; I'm signed up for the waitlist but not optimistic.

Didn't get my run in yesterday; I was pretty tired from the weekend. I'm thinking of rearranging things. Did some bodyweight strength this morning to make up for not doing any last week. Weather this week looks like crap until the weekend :(

I am getting the feeling that you get my weather, about 18 hours later...  Stupid treadmill.

Mileage

Swim 11.1/18 miles

61.7%
61.7%

Bike 207/465 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Run 44.9/101 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Probably not too far off, if you're in Wisconsin that works out to about a day away weatherwise I think for the prevailing west->east systems :)

1.2km in the pool tonight. That 11:24 500m is probably not a miscount; I did it in 11:40 today. I also did some 50m "hard, but not sprinting" repeats in about 1 minute each.

Looks like I'll be packing for a potentially moist run home from work tomorrow, but it's just "chance of showers" for the evening so I'll give it a try :)

Ran home. It didn't rain! I did it without music or a podcast, because I wanted to keep my phone in a ziplock in case it started raining :) Doing STR the day before a long-ish run is probably a bad idea, felt really tired. Though my average pace wasn't that slow.

Did 30 minutes today setting up some stuff on my new computer for career stuff.

It isn't a bad idea, it is good training.  It is a tough run though.  Good job.

Mileage

Swim 11.1/18 miles

61.7%
61.7%

Bike 207/465 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Run 44.9/101 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Went to the gym tonight - I haven't been around much since it's been nicer outside and I've been swimming elsewhere :)

Did some weights (yay deadlifts) and then started off trying to follow a 20 minute tabata workout mix on the bike (first time trying it), but after 10 minutes just switched to some easy cycling.

Also got in an hour of career stuff :)

It's been a productive evening, 2 hours of career stuff!

Tomorrow I plan to go swimming around noon and then run ~11.5km later in the afternoon.

• Like 1