• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
PiotrTheGreat

A tall guy walks into a dojo...

First off: apologies for another "Tell me what style to take" post, especially considering that I posted something similiar just under a year ago

That said, I'd like some help choosing a style.

I'm a tall dude (6' 5") and I'm on the heavier side at present (275 lbs, or thereabouts), and for the last three months, I've been training just to get my strength up and my weight down.

Now, in terms of what I'm looking for in a style:

I'd like something...interesting. I've looked into Kali, Penchak Silat, Jeet Kune Do, and UFC-style MMA and...well, I love all of them. I love Kali's weapon training, same with Silat (not to mention the fast, distracting movements), but I also love the adaptability and various focuses of JKD and MMA.

On top of that, I've been having a little trouble finding a reputable school in the Chicagoland area (MMA dojos run aplenty, but their quality varies depending on who you ask, and JKD, Kali, and Silat dojos are rare, quality ones rarer still).

So, if you fine, well-traveled and intelligent folks would be so kind as to answer one of these questions:

1. Are there any other styles you think I should look into?
2. Are there any schools you know of in the area that might work for the purpose of learning one of the above styles?

Thank you in advance :D

I've been taking Krav classes lately and you might want to look into that. It's a hard style trains powerful hits but they also intermingle cardio into the training. Sounds to me that you're pretty set on one with weapons training though. In which case, you might also want to consider ninjitsu :P

I'm pretty positive that there are some kali or silat schools around you, it's just a matter of finding them. A lot of quality schools for both f those styles, tend to be run out of people's homes and are really small scale, so they don't really have the funds to advertize, like the McDojos.  I'd try various google searches with the terms silat+area amd kali+area.

In a similar fashion to the above, you may want to look into Kajukenbo, which is a hybrid art(MMA) created in Hawaii for street use. 

"Kajukenbo is an American hybrid martial art. The name Kajukenbo is a portmanteau of the various arts from which its style is derived: KA for Karate and Tang Soo Do Korean Karate, JU for Judo and Jujutsu, KEN for Kenpo and BO for Western and Chinese Boxing."

I believe they also train with escrima sticks and that kali is a part of the system, though not named in it.

Kajukenbo has alot of similarities with JKD so might be a good fit for you if you can find a school.  I spoke to some Kajukenbo guys at a seminar and they definitely trained with kali sticks.

If you can find a school under the JKD concepts branch (normally associated with Dan Inosanto, one of Bruce Lees students) they'll normally cover JKD and Kali together, quite a few will also include Silat and Grappling (mine does but I'm UK based so not much use to you).

Have you got a focus in mind?  Are you looking for striking, grappling, weapons or a mix?

Finding a reputable school can be difficult, I'd always advise either observing or attending a few classes before you sign on the dotted line.  I'd seriously avoid any school that asks for money up front or won't let you observe/attend some test classes.

All the others are terrible and bad and suck.  You need Ameri-Do-Te!!!  I'm kidding.  That's a joke.  But seriously.  They're really funny.  Watch them.

In all seriousness, there's some great suggestions already.  I'd go for Krav or Kempo if you don't like the ones you've already seen.  Though I admit I have a soft spot for both Krav and Kali/Silat.  

Sizewise we could be twins

As I've said in several posts I've been training in Krav for almost 2 years (2 in July)..Love it, sadly my work and home schedule have turned insane and it has been difficult to hit the gym but it is temporary.

As for a what to take you should look at want you want to ultimately gain from it.

When I picked Krav this time around I did so becuase I had a list of what I wanted/didn't want.

After Krav my choices were:

Silat - After watching The Raid:Redemption I was really interested however Shcool location and learning "kata" removed it from list (I have zero desire to do kata)

BJJ - My gym teaches this and I can switch from Krav to BJJ any time I wish

Muy Thai - My gym teaches this and I can switch from Krav to BJJ any time I wish

I have always loved martial arts, I have seen fights on youtube, and they always fall short compared to the movies ont eh art part and effectiveness compared to the movies which is understandable to a point. I'm 6'4' ~260 I keep losing and gaining weight/muslce and I still haven't decided on one yet. Because of my joints I have been thinking on soft martial arts as I'm not an experience fighter but from the list I personally prefer Muy Thai for stand up fights, then you can add BJJ if you want to learn ground techniques. I know I particularly prefer grappling but that is because I genuinely never learn how to hit. My height and nature saved me from fights most of my life.

I've done TKD, Hapkido, Muay Thai, Krav and BJJ.  So far BJJ has been my favorite.  I loved the discipline and structure of TKD and Hapkido.  These are truly arts and should be considered as such.

I loved the sheer brutality and practical applications of Muay Thai and Krav.  Keep in mind that Krav is not a sport but rather a philosophy of survival (some Krav gyms have fight classes that teaches a decent stand up game).  

But BJJ, in my experience, has both the artistry and the practical applications that I really enjoy.

The Russians have developed two very interesting disciplines that I would also consider, Systema (which is similar in some ways to Krav), and Combat Sambo (which has grappling and takedowns).  

Each of the disciplines mentioned require a great deal of physicality and will provide a great workout for your big frame.  Start checking out gyms that are closest to you and go from there.  If you start getting more serious about your art, you can seek out gyms that are better suited to your needs.  Most gyms are adept at teaching the basics.

Good luck with your journey! 

Best advice I can give...most martial arts schools will allow you a week or two of free classes.  Go try out several for several different styles.  Find out what you feel the most comfortable in and what would work best for you. A true martial artist knows their body. They are able to take a style and make it their own. They know what their body can and cannot do and they make a style work for them.