Greetings and salutations! I am Ausleigh, and I am ready for this. I think. Sort of. I'm a type 1 diabetic and my overarching goal is to have my A1C down to 6.5 in 13 weeks at least. For many of you, this means nothing. Basically, an A1C is a measure of how close to in-range blood sugars are. Many people strive to get close to 6.0, but for right now, 6.5 is fine by me. :3 

For those of you who read my original, unedited discussion starter, judgement of diabetics is a hot-button for me. I've had too many people see my pump or hear my meter and tell me, "Oh, you really should watch that. My Uncle Bobby lost his limbs because of diabetes." or "How high is that number? That seems bad." or even, "Should you really be having that scone right now?" 

Oh, and I'm a stress eater. Thank you, random stranger! You have just exacerbated this problem by about 100%! Excellent work. Now go away. 

Part of the problem is food. Actually, a LOT of the problem is food. BAD FOOD IS CHEAP and my brain tells me that it helps me to live!! Seriously, when our species was trying to survive and actually working our prehistoric asses off to get by, sugar was great! It's fuel, it helps to keep us going! Helps us to catch our meat! Helps us to run for our lives from the dinosaurs! Huzzah sugar! Now, however, I can count people who need excess sugar on one hand. 

I've tried to give up sugar cold turkey and all that jazz... it doesn't work. So, now, what I'm going to do is try and cook and bake yummy, low-carb options. If I have YUMMY low carb options, then there should be a natural cutting out of sugar.

That and prayer. LOTS of prayer. My new mantra is "God, I can't do this. Help." 

SO here goes nothing! Wish me luck, and if you have any ideas for stats, please let me know! 

Mission 1: check blood sugar 4x a day. At least. 

A=4x a day, every day (42 days) Con+5,

B= 4x a day almost everyday (at least 35 days) Con+4

C= 4x a day most days (at least 28 days) Con+3

D= 4x a day some days (at least 21 days) Con+1

Mission 2: exercise (dance, parkour, etc) 3-4 Times a week IF ASTHMA ALLOWS.
Sub-mission: do not exercise when it is not wise.
A=4x a week, every week (24 times) Str+5

B=3-4x a week, every week (at least 18) Str+4

C=3-4x a week almost every week (at least 14) Str+3 

Mission 3: cook 2-3 low-carb meals a week that can be eaten as leftovers for other days. (I.E. explore good/yummy food!) 
A=3x a week, every week (18 meals) Wis+5

B=2-3x a week, every week (at least 15 meals) Wis+4

C= 2-3x a week, most weeks (at least 12) Wis + 2 

• Like 1

Gypsy Assassin (in training)

Stats: Steve gave me 1 Wisdom!! I feel so cool... 

(> * *)> My first challenge <(* *<)

"The Lord doesn't justify, He redeems."

and 

"Life isn't fair, highness. Anyone who says anything different is trying to sell you something." 

First of all, love the thread name. That's one of my favorite books :chuncky:

I'm not a diabetic, nor do I know anything about being one, but I wish you the best of luck with your quest!

Level 1 Half-Dragon Recruit

0 STR || 0 DEX || 0 STA || 0 CON || 0 WIS || 0 CHA

My challenge thread : http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/63322-thegreatcatsbys-first-challenge-sort-of/

"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan

First of all, love the thread name. That's one of my favorite books :chuncky:

I'm not a diabetic, nor do I know anything about being one, but I wish you the best of luck with your quest!

It's not that you need to know diabetes, it'd just that many people judge without really thinking about it, so thank you for the support!

Also, I wanted to use the name because our world and habits are a certain way, but that doesn't mean they should stay that way. :P

And I think the ending is one of my favorites.

and 

"Life isn't fair, highness. Anyone who says anything different is trying to sell you something." 

Both my niece and my son's best friend were diagnosed with Diabetes 1 a little over a year ago. Giving you hugs and prayers, that is a tough road.

How many pull ups can you do now?

Welcome to the Rebellion. I noticed that your goals include parkour and dance. Next challenge when you are ready to level up and choose a guild, the assassins may be a group you would enjoy. I am an ambassador for the assassins. Which means, we spy out for potential recruits to our guild, and will come by and cheer you on and answer questions. Feel free to PM me if you have a question, or need some encouragement.

You can go check out some of the thread of assassins and see the kind of things we do. Here are some links you can check out to see what we are up to:

The Assassin Guild Info & Announcements

The Assassins' Den guild chat thread

The Level 1 Assassin Initiates Q&A/Chat thread

The Assassin Phonebook-The Assassin Phonebook- will be up in a bit. Check on the assassins page,The phonebook is a list of what each assassin is working on so you can ask questions/get encouragement from people who are working on the same thing as you are.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Both my niece and my son's best friend were diagnosed with Diabetes 1 a little over a year ago. Giving you hugs and prayers, that is a tough road.

How many pull ups can you do now?

Welcome to the Rebellion. I noticed that your goals include parkour and dance. Next challenge when you are ready to level up and choose a guild, the assassins may be a group you would enjoy. I am an ambassador for the assassins. Which means, we spy out for potential recruits to our guild, and will come by and cheer you on and answer questions. Feel free to PM me if you have a question, or need some encouragement.

You can go check out some of the thread of assassins and see the kind of things we do. Here are some links you can check out to see what we are up to:

The Assassin Guild Info & Announcements

The Assassins' Denguild chat thread

The Level 1 Assassin Initiates Q&A/Chatthread

The Assassin Phonebook-The Assassin Phonebook- will be up in a bit. Check on the assassins page,The phonebook is a list of what each assassin is working on so you can ask questions/get encouragement from people who are working on the same thing as you are.

Thank you for the prayers! I'm at about 2... I think... It depends on if I jump on the first one or do it from a dead hang. (Pro-tip: it's 0 if it's from a dead hang)

And yes, I'm aware of my assassin-ness. I also juggle, Diablo, spin poi/fire spin, and want to try acro at some point, so I'm guessing those all fit more into assassin than anything else. (If only I could get those juggling machetes down...)

I do have a question, though. I keep hearing about weekly challenges, but am not sure what those are all about. Help?

and 

Thank you for the prayers! I'm at about 2... I think... It depends on if I jump on the first one or do it from a dead hang. (Pro-tip: it's 0 if it's from a dead hang)

And yes, I'm aware of my assassin-ness. I also juggle, Diablo, spin poi/fire spin, and want to try acro at some point, so I'm guessing those all fit more into assassin than anything else. (If only I could get those juggling machetes down...)

I do have a question, though. I keep hearing about weekly challenges, but am not sure what those are all about. Help?

You are going to make an awesome assassin. So much cool stuff.

For the Recruits, your mini challenge are listed under The Juice Bar, right at the top of the recruit's challenges. If you make sure and click follow, you'll get notified of mini challenges and other recruit news. http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/62816-the-juice-bar-please-follow/

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Trust me no one will judge you here for your diabetes.  As a matter of fact you aren't even alone in your suffering.  This is a safe space :D

Good luck. 

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Don't you worry.  You'll get all the support you need here, even if you're feeling particularly uncharismatic on any given day. :)

Keep up the process, and go for it!  Like the others said.  You're not alone!

Joshua |  Level 2 Half-Elf Assassin

STR 4  |  DEX 1  |  STA 9  |  CON 0  |  WIS 3  |  CHA 3  

"He started to sing as he tackled the thing that couldn't be done and he did it." -Edgar A. Guest

"For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters.  Don't use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love." -Galatians 5:13

My First Challenge

My Second Challenge

My Current Challenge

Update: I have officially gone to one dance class and cooked 3 meals (thanks to my beautiful and wonderfully supportive step-mom) in the last 48 hours. Not bad, considering I'm sick!

Fun fact: Low-carb means cauliflower and cheese. Lots and LOTS of cheese. 

and 

Day 4 on this low-carb thing and WOULDN'T YOU KNOW?! CAULIFLOWER AND CHEESE! Go figure. 

However, don't mistake my snark-ism for grumbling! I made a cauliflower and cheese pizza crust, topped with lots of sauce, veggies, and, you guessed it, fungus! (gotta have my mushrooms ;D ) Some time in the future I'll have to figure out how to make it less sopping with the sauce, but I'm sure that would just take EXTRA time boiling out the moister in the sauce, and this already took me 2 solid hours. (Yes, yes I know it's a problem. I'm not a cook! I'm working on it!) 

The problem with this whole 'cook for yourself' thing is that it's leaving little time for anything else. This week I set a mini challenge for myself to find good tasting recipes each night. This was not a spoken thing, or written down thing, but at the end of the week, I think I'm still going to give myself at least one or two stat raises none-the-less. This has been a big thing for me, and I've actually stuck to it! I'm proud and think I've earned those stats in real life, let alone on the forums. 

SO as my health is increasing and I'm not wheezing like a fool, I'll have to add actual exercise back in. Joy joy? 

Thanks for following, if you are, and I'll see you next time. Same bat time. Same bat channel. Although the time might be different. 

and 

Hey! If you're interested in more low carb recipes/ learning to cook a whole weeks worth of food in 4 hours once a week check out reddit.com/r/xxketo and check out the side bar, or head over to http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/

I'm also asthmatic and struggle with breathing while working out or running. Parkour looks like so much fun, but right now I can't run more than a block or two without puffing on my inhaler. When I'm fitter, I will go free running with you and jump over and off of things because man, what's more fun than finding out you live in a giant play ground and you're fit enough to really have fun with it??

Best of luck with your challenges! 

TansyPants

Level 0 Human Recruit

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Main Goal: Loose 40lbs

10%
10%

Secondary Goal: Squat my bodyweight

32%
32%

First Challenge

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals. ~ Henry David Thoreau.

Hey! If you're interested in more low carb recipes/ learning to cook a whole weeks worth of food in 4 hours once a week check out reddit.com/r/xxketo and check out the side bar, or head over to http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/

I'm also asthmatic and struggle with breathing while working out or running. Parkour looks like so much fun, but right now I can't run more than a block or two without puffing on my inhaler. When I'm fitter, I will go free running with you and jump over and off of things because man, what's more fun than finding out you live in a giant play ground and you're fit enough to really have fun with it??

Best of luck with your challenges!

TansyPants

Thanks! I'll give it a look tomorrow night when I cook!

The great thing about parkour is that it doesn't take strength, it makes strength. Plus you can literally run for 5 seconds to try a wall run or climb up, then stop and rest :D its better if you have stamina, but it's all about progression! Also, have you ever tried yoga? I never thought I'd like it, but it's helped with slowing and deepening my breathing even in the worst of seasons.

and 

Yoga is excellent :) Part of my current challenge is doing yoga for ten minutes every morning. For strength and flexibility and peace of mind. I hadn't actually thought of it in terms of asthma management, but that's awesome :) 

That's great to hear that parkour doesn't take so much strength. I watch a ton of videos on youtube of it and always think it looks like the ultimate freedom. Maybe it's time to go try it myself :)

Level 0 Human Recruit

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Main Goal: Loose 40lbs

10%
10%

Secondary Goal: Squat my bodyweight

32%
32%

First Challenge

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals. ~ Henry David Thoreau.

Yoga is excellent :) Part of my current challenge is doing yoga for ten minutes every morning. For strength and flexibility and peace of mind. I hadn't actually thought of it in terms of asthma management, but that's awesome :)

That's great to hear that parkour doesn't take so much strength. I watch a ton of videos on youtube of it and always think it looks like the ultimate freedom. Maybe it's time to go try it myself :)

... let me rephrase. Parkour doesn't take strength to START. It requires strength to do the feats that you accomplish in parkour, but you can start from anywhere. Again, it doesn't TAKE strength, it MAKES (or builds) strength. 

and 

SO! I've slacked off on cooking. Whoops. I mean, I made 4 meals this week in the span of 3 days, so I guess I'm allowed to... for now. 

I have, however, done my required blood sugar checks for the last 4 days in a row AND I did my first TMNT work out yesterday AND a parkour run today! Huzzah for epic ruinous libraries with PERFECT vaulting walls! Boo for it getting torn down soon, but at least I saved a trip to the gym! :D (My parkour gym is half an hour away and $10 for open gym fees, so the fact that I drove for 5 minutes, parked, and worked out for half an hour for free is kind of a thing. A very, very good thing) 

ALSO! There were donuts at worship practice this morning. Right under our noses. And we were encouraged to take of them. Multiple times. And I was instructed to bring one home to my little sister. And you want to know what? IT MADE IT THERE!!!!! I shocked myself, actually.

and 

4 meals in 3 days is fantastic. Yeah, cooking can take time, but as you get the hang of it, it gets easier. I sometimes make my veggies in batches so that I only have to do them every few days. I roast a bunch of them at once. Or same with meat, I can fry up a bunch of hamburger and have it ready to eat when I'm busy or don't feel like cooking.

Week one was awesome, keep up the hard work.