Now What?

I'm finally in the Gym. Well, I went for the first time yesterday :D The problem is that I spent most of the forty minutes without making any real progress, I just indiscriminately flitted between different free weight exercises and rowing. I've tried searching the internet for workout routines, but I'm being bombarded by '10x3x5' and other complicated phrases and words

Can anyone just describe a workout for someone of middling ability and build that focuses almost entirely on using free weights? Something that I can actually measure progress in and derive goals from.

Thanks

Flytch

I do intend to buy Steve's book when my next student loan installment comes through, but I need to get started now.

My aims were to burn fat and gain lean muscle - as opposed to bulking up - with a really simple and difficult workout that I could crank out in about forty minutes with minimal cardio and maximum free weight usage.

My aims were to burn fat and gain lean muscle - as opposed to bulking up

You aren't going to bulk up unless you are lifting heavy and eating a ton of food.

Can anyone just describe a workout for someone of middling ability and build that focuses almost entirely on using free weights? Something that I can actually measure progress in and derive goals from.

If you want simple and you are a beginner, Stronglifts 5x5 (5 sets of 5 reps) is your best bet. http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Basically, it's squats, bench press, barbell rows, overhead, deadlift. Nothing simpler than that.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Check the blog entries under the "Workouts" tag... I swear there's more stuff right here on NF, but I'm failing at finding it right now.

A good basic workout could start with just 4 exercises: a push (push-ups or bench press), a pull (pull-ups, lat pulldown), a legs (squats or lunges), and something for your abs (crunches or leg lifts).

There's also this blog entry if you can't do a pull-up yet: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/

Remember to keep track of everything. Even if it seems like you can't do a lot right now, save that. You will treasure it later when you see your awesome progress. :)

You aren't going to bulk up unless you are lifting heavy and eating a ton of food.

If you want simple and you are a beginner, Stronglifts 5x5 (5 sets of 5 reps) is your best bet. http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Basically, it's squats, bench press, barbell rows, overhead, deadlift. Nothing simpler than that.

Wow, this guy and his plan seem too good to be true :P.

I know that it is all about making progress and charting the progress, but how do I know where to start in terms of weight? Do I start with a low weight, even if I suspect I could do it with a slightly heavier weight?

Edit: Scratch that, I'll just go with the weights suggested in his free spreadsheet and take it from there :P

if you've literally just started you may want to only do 3 sets of five reps for maybe a month until you get into the swing of things and get your form sorted (due to not having the practise you're form may start going near the end, entirely dependant of your level) but everyones different so see how it goes