The Almost-Paleo Transition

Hi all, I miserably failed my last (and very first) NF 6-week challenge and since a new one is starting soon, I though "what the heck" and signed up for this one.

Previously, my goals were a bit too ambitious. I over-estimated my abilities greatly and thought I could handle the exercise, diet change AND uni. I was very, very wrong in all three areas.

So I'm back. I started a daily battle log about 1 week ago detailing my transition to paleo, and now I want to convert it into a 6-week challenge.

As far as I understand, those who have attempted and failed their first challenge proceed to post in the Adventurer's guild for their second challenge. Correct me if I'm wrong and I'll move my thread to the recruits. :)

Main Quest: Lose about 3Kg by end of 6 Week Challenge. (Current weight 60Kg, goal weight 57Kg)

Motivation:

post-33587-0-08504700-1428843080_thumb.j

Goal 1: Eat an as-paleo-as-I-can-afford diet at least 80% of the time, with veggies taking up 50% of every meal.

Grades A = 50% veggies & paleo 80%, B = 50% veggies, paleo 50% OR 30% veggies, paleo 80%, C = 30% paleo, 30% veggies, D = 30:20 paleo:veggie, E = 20:30 paleo:veggie, F = anything less

Goal 2: Reduce those cheat paleo snacks I love to eat all the time to twice a week (i.e. only 2 paleo treats per week)

Grades A = 2/wk, B = 3/wk, C = 4/wk, D = 5/wk, E = 6/wk, F = daily

Goal 3: Climb up and down those stairs at work instead of using the elevator when I have time when moving between floors. Only permissible exception is if a superior expects me to follow them into the lifts, or if I'm really time poor and there are 7 flights of stairs to climb.

Grades A = 90%, B = 80%, C = 70%, D = 60%, E = 50%, F = <50%

This goal will be tracked in a daily tally of each encounter. I may end up just uploading photos of the tallies due to convenience.

Life Quest: Make and follow a reasonable study plan for my Mid-Year Finals in June. [insert panicked face here]

Grades = same as Goal 3, and tracked in a similar manner.

Fun facts about me: I like most things pink, I'm a Taylor Swift Fan (i.e. I have all her albums, but not such a big fan where I stalk her online or know who she's dating and whatnot) and I love cuteness! Hence all my stuffed animals from childhood are still littered around my office and bedroom. My parents recently gave me a ginormous stuffed dog that I affectionately named Spot (to my parent's dismay, lol). 

I openly admit I'm child-like, in a small body, but with a profession that requires suits most of the time. The question: "shouldn't you be in high school, sweetie?" gets old quick, although I'm happy to know I'm not the shortest at my workplace, so I get to share our clients' love around. ;)

I don't know how I'm going to work with my daily battle log and this 6-Week Challenge thread, but we'll see how I go. 

Day 1 of this challenge and I'm already psyched! :D

I managed to stick to a paleo diet today with some improvisation of my favourite foods. For example, lettuce wraps with ham instead of a ham sandwich, and filling my plate with colourful veggies for dinner instead of my go-to rice that I've eaten since childhood.

I climbed stairs! WIN!

And finally, I unfortunately did eat a treat today. So I'm down to 1 remaining treat for this week. XD On the bright side, it was my last paleo sweet snack, so I'll have to stick to healthy fruits or veg for snacks (can't afford nuts at the moment).

My study plan was hard to stick to, but I managed to trawl through it so far using the pomodoro technique. I will need to squeeze in more knowledge for the amount of time I have if I want to be prepared for the exam though. Thankfully, this challenge has taken me out of my burnt out rut, and placed some excitement into studying. It's made me excited to see if I can survive the 6 weeks.

I can't wait for tomorrow to begin!

@JMitch, I followed you too! I like the support you've given me, and I thought I'd take a leaf out of your book and return the favour. ^^

I hope I lose those 3Kg too. If I do, I would have achieved more than I have in the past 5 years of failed diets and ineffective exercise. I haven't been below below 60Kg since the beginning of high school when I weighed 58 and was classified as overweight by my PE teacher during our health block. XD

~-~

Goal 1: 50% veggies all meals (woohoo!), and paleo roughly 90% today. I don't think those processed deli meats classify as paleo (I bet there's some flour hidden in there), but we didn't have much meat left in the house.

Goal 2: I avoided buying hot chips and chocolate! Narrowly too. I had a really huge craving around 3 o'clock and did an emergency entry into my daily log today. As I mentioned over there, I had a disappointing pear for a substitute. XD But no non-paleo or paleo treats today. So my count for this week is still 1/2.

Goal 3: I walked up and down all the stairs I encountered and only took the lift once when a whole herd of my colleagues shuffled me in. By the time I remembered my stairs goal we were already half-way up the building. But in total, I probably walked 3 times up and down two flights of stairs. I walked up and down a ridiculously steep hill on my way to evening lecture too. So the official count is 3/4 stairs.

Life goal: I didn't get to stick to my study plan today! I struggled to go against peer pressure to stay in the tea room rather than study. :( So my total tally so far is 1/2.

Snack foods are hard to resist. I'm usually good as gold at meals but then the snacks ... Way to go with the disappointing pear. The chips and chocolate would have let you down in the long run, however tasty they were in the moment. (There's probably a deep metaphor for life in there somewhere ...)

• Like 1

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Snack foods are hard to resist. I'm usually good as gold at meals but then the snacks ... Way to go with the disappointing pear. The chips and chocolate would have let you down in the long run, however tasty they were in the moment. (There's probably a deep metaphor for life in there somewhere ...)

Thanks. Haha, I didn't notice the deep life metaphor until you pointed it out. ;) That disappointing pear was easier to eat than the guilt I'd have to swallow after having some deep fried chips and maltezers. I was even considering a pie at that point. 

~-~

Goal 1: >50% veggies in all meals! It was probs more around 70-90% veggies. The best part is I liked them. ;) 95% paleo today! I say that because I don't think I'll be able to avoid the processed deli meats inside the fridge for dinner.

Goal 2: No paleo snacks. Count 1/2. I *almost* made a chocolate mug cake. Almost. But I didn't. ;) I had a disappointing homemade coconut milk...which I didn't make properly, so it's now more like water with piles of dessicated coconut in it that I'm actively chewing right now. It's surprisingly sweet.

Goal 3: I used the elevator a lot today. :( Only because my colleagues herded me in there again. But that's not really a good excuse. So my stair count is now 5/8.

Life Goal: I didn't get to stick to my study plan at all! I left home for work at 6:30am, and arrived home by 10:30pm (late lectures) and by then I was so knackered that I fell asleep whilst attempting to eat dinner.

Goal 1: >50% veggies and about 80% paleo today.

Goal 2: I didn't avoid sweets...twice! After I posted yesterday, I ended up with a non-paleo hot chocolate. Then today I tried so hard to resist the chocolate truffles in the fridge, even drinking water and eating a whole bag of extremely sweet grapes. But alas, the tongue wanted chocolate. So my count is now 3/2 for this week.

Goal 3: home today, so only stairs at home. ^^

Life goal: I'm struggling to catch up to my study plan given my set backs but I think by tomorrow I'll be up to speed. Hopefully.

• Like 1

So true about seniors expecting you to take lifts! I try and take the stairs as much as possible, but the seniors have none of it!

Well done on your challenge so far!

Well, I did have this one senior who made me walk up 5 flights of stairs to his office a few years ago, when I wasn't that keen on health. XD So, I complained and he glared at me. And now that I'm interested in improving my health, not a single person around me wants to use stairs. That's always the way, isn't it?

~-~

4696 Calories.

I think that sums up how my day went today. But surprisingly meets most of my goals.

Goal 1: 70% veggies, 98% Paleo (details of why this still equated to >4000cals in daily battle log)

Goal 2: Sweets...out the window and through the roof, sky high. My count is now 7/2. Cravings are awful.

Goal 3: I haven't used the stairs, because I didn't need them today. My count is still 5/8 from a few days ago.

Life Goal: Buzzfeed sucked my time away. I'm far behind on my study plan. :|

So! Back on the horse tomorrow. I'm going to post once in the morning to kick start my day with a positive words and then see how I fair in comparison to today.

So! Back on the horse tomorrow. I'm going to post once in the morning to kick start my day with a positive words and then see how I fair in comparison to today.

Those horses ... they need seatbelts or something. 

I always automatically head for the stairs at work because there's only one flight and it seems silly to take the elevator to go up one floor. Had to go up and down four times with a client/renter last week, and as usual I just headed for the stairs. Didn't occur to me until after she left that the woman was about 12 months pregnant and I should probably have suggested the elevator. But she didn't complain, so ... 

• Like 2

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

@Stealthstitcher - awww...lol. If it makes you feel any better, pregnant women are supposed to exercise...so one flight of stairs shouldn't have been too bad. ;)

I definitely agree about the seat belts...but um...I'd just take them off and run after the food as the horse trundles past. What I need are restraints...like cuffs or something.

@Jenn, that's what I'm hoping! I wish I'd thought of keeping track of the number of times I fell off the horse just to see how hard it was to get into a good habit when I look back in 5 years time from a better place. It'd be a great way to tell people to keep at it too.

I forgot to log in this morning! It's now mid-afternoon, but I'm fairing pretty well after the coconut shock. Nothing too extravagant today with the bacon/egg/spinach cup for brekkie and some grilled salmon with string beans for lunch.

Unfortunately in regards the string beans, my mother had stirfried them in non-paleo stuff (sugar! Lots of sugar and salt...Asian-style) for herself, and then realised she was allergic to one of the ingredients. She didn't want to waste them and said I was being "absolutely unreasonable!" when I refused to eat them. Long story, short, to avoid a month-long argument, I ate those stir-fried, unhealthy string beans. Made me feel awful afterwards, but my mother looks exceptionally happy when she saw me eating them.

I don't know how to feel about that now.

Dinner wasn't too bad. More string beans with salmon (yum!). I ended up having a full-cream milk coffee today (no sugar for a change!, not even sweetener. What a milestone) since I know I'm not getting enough calcium at the moment. The veggies I'm stocked up on aren't very calcium-rich.

Goal 1: 60% veggies, 80% Paleo

Goal 2: Treat count...I had another coconut ice cream bite today...maybe 4 big mouthfuls if I'm being honest and considering I shoved a heck of a lot of desiccated coconut in there, it's probably full packed with calories sooo...the treat count is now 8/2

Goal 3: Again, no stairs usage today because I didn't encounter any. 5/8

Life Goal: I'm *this* close to catching up with my study plan. So close, yet so far. It's going to be extremely hard with my work schedule next week, but I'm going to work hard to get through all the content. At least some familiarity is better than getting to the exam and thinking "WTF is that?!?!?"

Goal 1: 80% paleo, 50% veggies

Goal 2: Increased count of treats! There was a smorgasboard of cakes, biscuits, red-velvet cupcakes *drools* So...I couldn't resist taking one little cupcake with a nice cream icing with a crispy chocolate on top. It was delicious. But... 1/2 treat count for this week. Let's hope it won't be as bad as last week.

Goal 3: Took an unnecessary elevator once today. 6/11 stairs. That elevator counts for 5 flights of stairs since that's the number I avoided. XD

Life Goal: Working on it! I've fallen behind again. That triangle where you can only choose two of either sleep, good grades or social life, didn't take into account work placements.

• Like 1

Goal 2: Increased count of treats! There was a smorgasboard of cakes, biscuits, red-velvet cupcakes *drools* So...I couldn't resist taking one little cupcake with a nice cream icing with a crispy chocolate on top. It was delicious. But... 1/2 treat count for this week. Let's hope it won't be as bad as last week.

Well, if you're going to have a treat, at least make it a really good one that you'll enjoy a lot. No point in having something that's not even that good or that you don't like that much. 

A new week to be awesome in! Onward!

• Like 1

Stealthstitcher

@stealthstitcher is right - use your treats for something really worth it!

Have you considered eating a couple of pieces of dark chocolate as a treat? I've heard that it helps to curb the cravings in a less-sinful way - plus I believe it is paleo, in moderation (which surprised me)

Other than treats, you seem to be doing excellently at eating loads of veggies and going for it with the paleo diet! Keep it up!

• Like 1

Aquatic Elf

Level 2 | STR 0 | DEX 0.5 | STA 1.5 | CON 6 | WIS 6 | CHA 1

Challenges 1 2

I got home late last night, and didn't have the energy to log in. Thanks for all your supportive words. :)

I like the idea of dark chocolate for a treat. I'll have to look into it. ^^ And yes, I did go 100% with that treat two days ago.

Yesterday:

Goal 1: 80% veg, 99% paleo (may have had too much salmon though...and I discovered my fish sauce had sugar in it, hence the missing 1%)

Goal 2: Treat count 1/2

Goal 3: Stair count 19/24

Today:

Goal 1: 50% Veg, 70% Paleo (dinner was some non-paleo curried beef stir fry and ginger stir-fried octopus with lots of wombok, with after-dinner full-cream coffee, but no sugar)

Goal 2: Treat count 1/2 this week (whoot! I resisted a packet of vanilla-filled cream biscuits that my dad put out in front of me)

Goal 3: Stair count 41/46 cumulative since challenge start (I encountered 22 flights of stairs today! A 5 story building racks up a lot of stair counts when you have to run errands)

• Like 1

Ginger stir-fried octopus sounds divine!

I thought of you yesterday, had to get from D floor to J floor of a hospital and decided to go for stairs instead of the lift! I was aching but pleased I did it!

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Aquatic Elf

Challenges 1 2

I thought of you yesterday, had to get from D floor to J floor of a hospital and decided to go for stairs instead of the lift! I was aching but pleased I did it!

I'm glad I inspired you to climb those stairs!

I have to admit, I get strange looks from my colleagues when I arrive to the room out of breath. My legs would be burning so badly that it'd hurt to walk after 5 flights.

Wow, that is a lot of stairs.

You're looking good lately! :) Keep up the good work.

Thanks Jen! I actually feel like I'm slipping a bit, so having your supportive words convinced me from falling completely off the rails, but I'm definitely skirting along the edges and bouncing off a bit.

Today's Update:

Goal 1: 50% veg, 50% Paleo

I'm feeling pretty bad about this. I forgot to make my lunch last night, so in the morning I ran out with last night's dinner (that curried beef) instead, which was non-paleo. Furthermore, my mother refused to let me cook dinner when I got home and made me eat her (amazingly delicious) non-paleo curried fish with lots, of sugar incorporated into it (her secret ingredient). I only *just* managed to avoid eating the rice and replacing it with lots of wombok so I still had my 50% veg ratio.

Goal 2: I don't count being forced to eat non-paleo foods as treats. So my count is still 1/2 for this week. Although, I was sorely tempted with a cookie tonight, which I combatted with eating a pear, successfully quenching that sweet tooth.

Goal 3: No elevators today! At all! It's an accomplishment! There were a total of 16 flights of stairs today, making my cumulative count 57/62.

Life Goal: I'm still behind on my study plan. Those blasted placements are sucking all of my time I could be using to study. I hope tomorrow is a quiet late shift so I can steal that time to study instead. XD

Adventurers/Scouts Mini Quest (that I just discovered today): The aim was to take note of all the times I procrastinate and kick myself into gear. There were a total of 5-6 times this week that I caught myself procrastinating and kicked myself into gear. It was hard and involved a lot of pep talking, but I did it. ^^ I've been doing this since two weeks ago when I started the challenge in order to get my life goal on track. So, Serendipity!

• Like 2

Goal 1: 50% veg, 50% Paleo

I'm feeling pretty bad about this. I forgot to make my lunch last night, so in the morning I ran out with last night's dinner (that curried beef) instead, which was non-paleo. Furthermore, my mother refused to let me cook dinner when I got home and made me eat her (amazingly delicious) non-paleo curried fish with lots, of sugar incorporated into it (her secret ingredient). I only *just* managed to avoid eating the rice and replacing it with lots of wombok so I still had my 50% veg ratio.

Moms are ... difficult. You don't want to hurt her, you don't want to get into a fight, you can't force her to get on board with your way of eating ... at least she's making good home cooking instead of trying to guilt you into frozen dinners? Maybe you could suggest a recipe to cook together and sell it as bonding time? Although I know some people would rather not share the kitchen.

Although, I was sorely tempted with a cookie tonight, which I combatted with eating a pear, successfully quenching that sweet tooth.

Goal 3: No elevators today! At all! It's an accomplishment! There were a total of 16 flights of stairs today, making my cumulative count 57/62.

Excellent on both counts!

• Like 1

Stealthstitcher

Well, you may be "bouncing" a bit, but it doesn't seem to be the same sort of thing as just giving up and binging on cupcakes or something. :P You've going strong on your stairs initiative, you're resisting treats, and you're trying to eat Paleo and veggies. Have you heard the saying "No plan survives contact with the enemy"? Getting right into the thick of the challenge, things always end up not quite the way you expect, and you have to compensate. The secret is learning to do the best you can in the moment, even if it doesn't stick perfectly to your original plan. Like when you subsituted the rice for wombok.

You may not always feel like you're doing that well, but as long as you're motivated to keep trying, you're still doing well!

• Like 2

Moms are ... difficult. You don't want to hurt her, you don't want to get into a fight, you can't force her to get on board with your way of eating ... at least she's making good home cooking instead of trying to guilt you into frozen dinners? Maybe you could suggest a recipe to cook together and sell it as bonding time? Although I know some people would rather not share the kitchen.

Excellent on both counts!

That's true. My mother is pretty health conscious but with the old-school ideas of "all fat is evil" and "sugar is not bad for you, it's the fat". She's promoting me to study more (Asian parents, after all), and doesn't allow me in the kitchen much for fear that my grades will drop. I do hope that mentality disappears once I graduate. XD Only 7 months to go!!! If I pass all my exams, that is.

Well, you may be "bouncing" a bit, but it doesn't seem to be the same sort of thing as just giving up and binging on cupcakes or something. :tongue: You've going strong on your stairs initiative, you're resisting treats, and you're trying to eat Paleo and veggies. Have you heard the saying "No plan survives contact with the enemy"? Getting right into the thick of the challenge, things always end up not quite the way you expect, and you have to compensate. The secret is learning to do the best you can in the moment, even if it doesn't stick perfectly to your original plan. Like when you subsituted the rice for wombok.

You may not always feel like you're doing that well, but as long as you're motivated to keep trying, you're still doing well!

I actually haven't heard that phrase, Jenn, but it does make sense. Plan B! I need a Plan B! I think Steve's idea of "good enough" is the principle I should be working towards. It's hard when my brain is hardwired into an all-or-nothing perfectionist mindset. So, in those terms, I AM doing good enough for my challenge.

As you said, good on stair counts, relatively going well with paleo (with a few mishaps on both high calorie paleo treats and non-paleo treats) and increasing my veggie intake. I am better than I was at the start of the challenge.

Ginger stir-fried octopus sounds divine!

Keep up the good work!

It was excellent! Aside from the sugar my mother put in, it would have been completely paleo. Thankfully, my parents are okay with my transition from rice to more vegetable substitutes like wombok, carrot and cabbage.

• Like 1

Update on progress for past 2 days:

I haven't been able to log in due to being mainly mobile. So here's my update combined over the past few days.

Goal 1: 50% veg, 50% paleo (gave into a few non-paleo treats whilst on call. Freely available chocolate, popcorn and lollies were the culprits)

Goal 2: Treat count 5/2

Goal 3: Cumulative stair count 50/55

• Like 1

Goal 1: 50% veg, 70% paleo (peanuts and milk aren't paleo)
Goal 2: Treat count 6/2 this week (I have to count those peanuts...)
Goal 3: Cumulative stair count 52/57 (stairs at home! FTW!)

Life goal: Struggling! But I've so far stuck to the plan. Not quite up to speed, but I'm getting there.

• Like 2

It was excellent! Aside from the sugar my mother put in, it would have been completely paleo. Thankfully, my parents are okay with my transition from rice to more vegetable substitutes like wombok, carrot and cabbage.

That's good - I can imagine it must be much easier to keep to paleo if those around you are doing the same!

• Like 1

Aquatic Elf

Challenges 1 2