The Almost-Paleo Transition

That's good - I can imagine it must be much easier to keep to paleo if those around you are doing the same!

You're completely right. There'd be a significant decrease in temptations at least and the struggle could be shared.

~-~

Goal 1: 80% veg, 80% paleo (all paleo except for milk and chinese stir-fried chicken tonight)

Goal 2: 0/2 treats this week (let's see if I can keep it this way!)

Goal 3: Stair cumulative total 60/65 (no elevators all day! Even colleagues didn't take elevator.)

Life Goal: Still off-track... 20% complete and only 60% time left to complete the remaining 80% in.

• Like 1

Thanks @jkiley!

Quick post again today since I need to get back to my study plan.

Goal 1: 80%veg, 90% paleo (I don't think I'll ever give up milk)

Goal 2: 0/2 treats so far this week. Whoot! Two days in a row? I'm on a roll.

Goal 3: Cumulative stair count (no elevators again!) 67/72

Life goal: Study plan is attempting to be followed. Let's see if I can hammer out my backlog of tasks before midnight tonight. ^^ I'm pumped and excited to clear out my HabitRPG checklist and deal the biggest hit to the boss we're currently fighting. (Has nothing to do with the fact that I almost killed half the party yesterday from not doing my dailies...)

• Like 2

Goal 3: Cumulative stair count (no elevators again!) 67/72

Nice! Keep that roll rolling!

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

What about almond milk? I think that's paleo, especially if you make it yourself.

Well done! You can keep it up. :)

I'm trying to decide if I should go back to trying HabitRPG again. But I feel like it might be too redundant with NerdFitness, and I don't want to waste time entering the same things on both...

• Like 1

I discovered Dark chocolate. And boy was that a mistake.

Treats blown to 7/2 in two days. Oops. But yes, the dark chocolate was awesome and it is also the last time I buy a big block of that stuff.

80% Veg, 90% paleo for the past few days

Stair count...I've lost count! All I know is I took an unnecessary elevator twice (I was running late!), so I'll make it 67/74 to make the difference reflect what I did.

What about almond milk? I think that's paleo, especially if you make it yourself.

Well done! You can keep it up. :)

I'm trying to decide if I should go back to trying HabitRPG again. But I feel like it might be too redundant with NerdFitness, and I don't want to waste time entering the same things on both...

At the moment, I'm dependent on my parents for money and shopping due to my work/uni hours and lack of job. As such, they refuse to buy nut milks due to the fat content. An exact quote from my mother when I suggested almond milk when she found out she was lactose intolerant was "are you trying to make me fat? Besides it's way too expensive, just eat the nuts is better." In fact, my mother would rather get the horrible side-effects of her lactose intolerance by drinking cows milk than try alternatives due to the price, labour and inconvenience of alternative milks. So I don't think I'll be having almond milk any time soon. XD

If you are only using HRPG to track one goal (fitness, health) then it is indeed redundant. Go with what works for you. ;)

I use both HPRG and NF for two different primary purposes. NF for all the dietary stuffs, HRPG for my daily tasks. Since I'm already addicted to HRPG, but haven't established the habit of logging into NF, it makes sense for me to make a task and give myself bonus points for logging in here.

I'm also biased because I'm a HRPG mod/contrib. Since I put so much effort in the early days of HRPG, I've found I stick with that task organiser far longer than any others. 2 years and going strong with it, I don't think I'll quit anytime soon. XD

It's been 4 wks since I started my paleo adventure! Wow!!!

Granted I've slipped a little on the restrictions, but not by much. Today was pre-made pasta sauce (it had wheat in it as a thickener) but I still had my carrot "noodles" to go with it. The dark chocolate is another example.

But upping my veggie intake is pretty cool. I've found creative ways to work with it. And my parents are surprisingly happy with buying copious amounts of veggies. Granted, variety is scarce since they purchase what is in season. There are currently 4 ginormous heads of wombok floating around my kitchen, 2 massive heads of cabbage, and 6Kg of carrots. I've had these three veggies as my staple for the past 3 weeks. I get sick of it, but then I combine it with a meat and I'm good.

I couldn't resist the scales as I stated at the beginning of the challenge. To be honest, I've been weighing myself every single day since day 2 of the challenge. I've found it motivating to keep me on track, especially since I don't exercise at the moment, it's a fast way to track progress.

I've now dropped down to 58.6 - 59.5 Kg (those digital scales can fool me!). When I broke the 59 barrier (which I won't truly accept until I hit that elusive 57Kg) I was absolutely stunned. I danced around the bathroom that night. First time I've seen that number since my last attempt at losing weight when I was 15 years old, when my starting weight was 60Kg, rather than 65Kg it was at the beginning of this year.

Slow progress because of my low willpower to treats, but progress all the same. I can't wait to see if I get the high end of 57Kg by the end of the challenge. That would be amazing. I don't think it will happen since there's only 2 weeks left, but here's hoping!

• Like 1

At the moment, I'm dependent on my parents for money and shopping due to my work/uni hours and lack of job. As such, they refuse to buy nut milks due to the fat content. An exact quote from my mother when I suggested almond milk when she found out she was lactose intolerant was "are you trying to make me fat? Besides it's way too expensive, just eat the nuts is better." In fact, my mother would rather get the horrible side-effects of her lactose intolerance by drinking cows milk than try alternatives due to the price, labour and inconvenience of alternative milks. So I don't think I'll be having almond milk any time soon. XD

Augh, but... it's not even 2x the price of milk, it lasts forever, and they have low fat versions...

Well, maybe it's more expensive where you live. But, that's a little sad that she won't even try an alternative despite being lactose intolerant. :/

Oh well. Some time in the future, you'll have the ability to buy your own milk alternatives, if you decide you like them. :)

Great job on the weight loss! You really are sticking to your new dietary lifestyle, and it really seems to be working for you! It's awesome! ^_^

Maybe if your Mom won't go and buy almond milk, at least she'll buy almonds for you? You could try and make the almond milk yourself... There are a bunch of "how to"s out there, like this for example

I haven't made almond milk myself, yet, (only almond butter and cashew butter... yum!) but I know an ex-colleague of mine who does. 

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

@JMitch It is awesome! I love to see progress and surprisingly the daily weigh-ins keep me more on track because it reminds me of my goal and how far I have left to go. It stops me from grabbing instant noodles in the morning for brekkie.

Almond milk I quite expensive where I live and there's only one brand at the supermarket so they can set their price, really.

@Swampling Haha I tried to convince my mother about almonds for a crunchy snack food, which I covered in a previous post. It wasn't successful. She's fine with buying peanuts though because my dad loves them and she uses loads in her cooking. Oh the irony that she complains about the almond fat content but still eats peanuts. She doesn't let me touch the peanuts though.

I've stuck to my paleo diet pretty well! I've stayed away from dark chocolate since its discovery last week in my diet. That was a bad treat overload that tasted like heaven.

I can now climb 4 flights of stairs without dying and my colleagues cant laugh at my breathlessness anymore when I burst into the 4th floor office.

Treat count this week is 0/2. Midweek and no treats. I shan't Jin it with a comment until next week. XD

• Like 2

Oh and I forgot to mention my life goal.

Exams are in 4wks. I've switched to a new mindmapping program "freemind" that allows me to make mind maps on my phone and on my computer with the same file type. This way I can study on the go in breaks at work.

Its only my second day of using it. So I hope it speeds up my study process and helps me retain the knowledge at the same time. I've yet to practice the practical component of my exams because I've been getting home at 10pm most days and need sleep to function at 5:30am the next day.

I've also been avoiding coffee because with a schedule like that, it's be way too easy to get addicted. I don't actively restrict coffee intake. Its more that I ask myself if I really, really need it to stay awake at work.

Still not on track with the study guide. I'm upset because that study plan was the bare minimum I needed to cover to scrape a pass. It sucks that work takes all the time out of my day.

Treats disaster alert! Past two days were hard, I didn't avoid the treats!

There were a whole bowl of Mini Reese's peanut butter cups...I had two at the nurse's station. Then, one of the reps arrived today with sushi with some pretty pricey ingredients...and it was free...and I couldn't resist eating stuff I normally couldn't afford. So, down went maybe 6-7 sushi pieces complete with sushi rice, deep fried prawns, salmon and copious amounts of avocado.

I also succumbed to hot chocolate. :(

*Breadstrings has fallen off the boat and is now being tossed around in a rip tide of temptations*

But now comes the silver lining to this grey cloud. I've still increased my veggie intake, so I didn't eat as much of those treats as I normally would have (I don't think I would have stopped at 2 buttercups if I wasn't on this challenge) and I'm still climbing those 5 flights of stairs every day. So...I guess there is an overall progress trend.

Due to my string of bad days recently, my weight has changed from 59Kg up to 61 again. *sigh* More motivation to swim back to that boat and climb back on it...even if I'm bruised and dripping wet from my fall, at least I'm not stuck in the rip tide and drowning.

• Like 1

Yikes, that's a bunch of things that are difficult to pass up!

The peanut butter cups isn't really that big of a deal - you stopped at 2, which is totally normal amount. :3 And the sushi is very understandable!

Days like that happen sometimes; it'll slow your weight loss down slightly, but just pick yourself up and keep going, and the overall effect won't be too bad. Don't forget - weight fluctuates naturally, anyway. Our bodies retain and release water based on different internal cues, so sometimes you'll be a little heavier even if you did everything right. Give it a few days of eating right and see if it doesn't drop back down quickly on its own. :)

• Like 2

Due to my string of bad days recently, my weight has changed from 59Kg up to 61 again. *sigh* More motivation to swim back to that boat and climb back on it...even if I'm bruised and dripping wet from my fall, at least I'm not stuck in the rip tide and drowning.

Don't drown!

Some of that could also be normal weight fluctuations. Not to make that an excuse; just that something very salty like sushi (I'm assuming not low sodium sushi) and accompanying side dishes can have that effect.

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Yep, sodium and extra carbs are two of the things that can cause you to retain extra water... your time of the month, how [de]hydrated you are... all these things play a part. I had to learn that when I first started tracking my weight, because I'd sometimes see a seven-pound difference in the same day, from one weigh-in to another. (I started that particular day really dehydrated...) The scale is really a pretty unreliable way of tracking your fitness... using a soft tape measure to measure your waist, hips, etc, is a better way to see if you're losing fat or not.

• Like 1

Yep, sodium and extra carbs are two of the things that can cause you to retain extra water... your time of the month, how [de]hydrated you are... all these things play a part. I had to learn that when I first started tracking my weight, because I'd sometimes see a seven-pound difference in the same day, from one weigh-in to another. (I started that particular day really dehydrated...) The scale is really a pretty unreliable way of tracking your fitness... using a soft tape measure to measure your waist, hips, etc, is a better way to see if you're losing fat or not.

But where should I measure? I know I want to lose quite a bit off my thighs...but it would be demotivating if that didn't change when in fact I was losing off my stomach? 

Update Progress:

Goal 1: 60% Veg, 80% Paleo

Goal 2: Treat count this week 6/2 (a little bit of Mother's Day Cake, some of those Reese's butter cups and a few wontons...oh and that sushi)

Goal 3: Stair count...I've lost track, but I've taken all the stairs and no unnecessary elevators so far...I think next time I'll need to count how many elevators I catch rather than stairs I climb.

Life Goal: Behind...but hoping to catch up today. ;) (Just like I do every time I check in)

• Like 1

But where should I measure? I know I want to lose quite a bit off my thighs...but it would be demotivating if that didn't change when in fact I was losing off my stomach? 

Well, measure pretty much anything that is important to you! The specific place that you measure isn't important, as long as you make sure to measure the same place every time. I measure around the waist at the belly button (because it's easy to measure the same spot that way), the widest part of the hips, my neck, my left thigh (I have a mole near the widest part that I use to remind me where to measure) and my upper arm (again using a mole to remember where to put the tape measure). I haven't taken measurements in a little while, actually... I should check and see if anything has change.d

Well, measure pretty much anything that is important to you! The specific place that you measure isn't important, as long as you make sure to measure the same place every time. I measure around the waist at the belly button (because it's easy to measure the same spot that way), the widest part of the hips, my neck, my left thigh (I have a mole near the widest part that I use to remind me where to measure) and my upper arm (again using a mole to remember where to put the tape measure). I haven't taken measurements in a little while, actually... I should check and see if anything has change.d

Hmmm...I'll have to find a new tape measure to do that then. My old one broke. XD It was one of those wind up spring loaded ones. Well, the spring gave up and popped. I'm sure I have an old fashioned long non-fancy tape measure around somewhere. I shall go hunting...

I found out the cafe where I work sells protein balls that are paleo! I tried my first one today, which turned into my meal replacement for lunch, because I was literally on the run. Wasn't as good as my mind made it out to be. :/ But it filled me up until dinner time, which was surprising considering how small that ball was.

I feel like I'm now on a 70% paleo diet, because I need to get rid of some of my non-paleo foods in the house, and I'm not rich enough just to throw them out in the bin. So, dinner was carrot "spagghetti" and some jarred alfredo sauce.

Aside from that, I'm slowly getting back on track. :) So that's promising.

I only used the elevators once today, and that was because I was collecting coffee for my colleagues...and it wasn't wise to climb a few flights of stairs holding a hot beverage.

• Like 2

I've been derailed by deep fried foods!

I'm now seeing why it's so hard to be the only person to transition to paleo in a household. It's now nearing the end of my almost paleo transition for this 6wk challenge and the will-power bar is now sitting at 15%. So far, the only thing that has stuck well was eliminating rice as my main fibre staple and increasing my veggie intake to around 70% per meal. My weight is still sitting around the 60Kg mark and it's not shifting at all, neither are my waist/thigh measurements.

Treats...are so tempting now. I've almost binged on a few things again.

At least the stairs goal is holding!

I'm already planning how I can do my next 6wk challenge better...but I'm dedicated to finish this challenge. Only two weeks to go! (or is it one, now? I've lost track!)