Bekah's Path to Super Yogi: Getting BEAST STRONG! Take 2!

Bekah

The death camp workout day sounds incredibly intimidating - congrats on surviving! I feel you on the meals bit - I get a little too lazy to cook sometimes, and the easiest option isn't always the healthiest. :( Fairly quick dinner options (>20minutes?) include blanched vegetables or baked chicken breast, or a few pre-made things (egg mayo / tuna and cucumber) kept on standby in the fridge for the days when you're pressed for time!

• Like 1

Wonderful successes today Bekah!! That death camp sounds killer, is it the same instructor as last week?

So very excited to see your goals being smashed and conquered :)

Thank you :) No, the Monday instructor (last week) was Erika, her class is about 50% of the intensity of this class...and it was difficult, this was INSANE! And I am clearly a masochist because I am taking a Power Vinyasa class (aka fast paced hard class) with Mallory (last night's instructor) tonight! Because clearly I want to die again twice in a 24 hour period!

The death camp workout day sounds incredibly intimidating - congrats on surviving! I feel you on the meals bit - I get a little too lazy to cook sometimes, and the easiest option isn't always the healthiest. :( Fairly quick dinner options (>20minutes?) include blanched vegetables or baked chicken breast, or a few pre-made things (egg mayo / tuna and cucumber) kept on standby in the fridge for the days when you're pressed for time!

I have pre-cooked meat, I just need to do some veggies, but after my near death experience, even steamed veggies wasn't okay! Which is sad, but given that I had zero time to preplan yesterday, I can precook some kind of veggie and throw it in the fridge and nuke it all when I get home and it will be okay! That's how it's going to go tonight too! :D 

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Totally not challenge related, well kinda indirectly. Whatever...

I had a conversation with Mallory yesterday prior to class, and we talked about my overall fitness goals, and I told her about my goal of YTT and Curvy Yoga etc. and she is in charge of hiring new folks, and she was excited about having me on board after I get certified next year!!! AND I also found a lady online who is a yoga instructor who is legally blind and teaches yoga workshops for fully sighted people, but blindfolds them so they practice blind, partially to raise awareness of blindness in others and partially to help them be more self aware and body positive bc they can't actually SEE what others are doing during class :) I thought that was rather amazing, and I ALSO talked with my DBS counselor bc I thought about the Smart Mats and how they would be SUPER fantastic for totally blind people to use to practice being that they can be voice cued only, and she is going to pass that along to the local organization for the blind in our county, and as far as I know, there are no similar classes, there is one that uses a raised mat to show hand/feet positions, but this is wholly different. So hopefully I can be involved if they plan to do something with that. If I had the $5000, I'd buy 20 mats myself and start classes on my own that way once I could. 

• Like 8

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

New Druid bebeh popping in just to say you are hella inspirational, both with your challenge and with how you approach it! You have so much energy it just pops from the screen. :)

let me just say...I must have mammoth legs! The L/XL knee braces at the store(s), barely fit my calves! WTF?!?! Oh well, wrap an ace bandage tight enough and it does the job until I can find something!

ME TOO! I'm actually wearing one today that is a *STRETCH* to get on. I've had to adjust two or three times because it gets all bunched and uncomfortable and such. Ace bandage may be in my future. 

Totally not challenge related, well kinda indirectly. Whatever...

I had a conversation with Mallory yesterday prior to class, and we talked about my overall fitness goals, and I told her about my goal of YTT and Curvy Yoga etc. and she is in charge of hiring new folks, and she was excited about having me on board after I get certified next year!!! AND I also found a lady online who is a yoga instructor who is legally blind and teaches yoga workshops for fully sighted people, but blindfolds them so they practice blind, partially to raise awareness of blindness in others and partially to help them be more self aware and body positive bc they can't actually SEE what others are doing during class :) I thought that was rather amazing, and I ALSO talked with my DBS counselor bc I thought about the Smart Mats and how they would be SUPER fantastic for totally blind people to use to practice being that they can be voice cued only, and she is going to pass that along to the local organization for the blind in our county, and as far as I know, there are no similar classes, there is one that uses a raised mat to show hand/feet positions, but this is wholly different. So hopefully I can be involved if they plan to do something with that. If I had the $5000, I'd buy 20 mats myself and start classes on my own that way once I could. 

This is such fantastic news, congratulations! I *LOVE* Curvy Yoga. Her 5m sun salutation is what I want to follow for my own challenge. :)

• Like 1

~*~ WanderingLiz ~*~

(no longer wandering off the path of health) 

Current Challenge:  | Previous Challenges: Finding Peace of MindChaos Maintenance!

or not...but tomorrow! its past bedtime!

Day 4:

1. Consistent Wake Up/Bedtime: wake up :) bedtime :)
2. Consistent Exercise Routine: I got 15k steps, 60ish active minutes and did a flow yoga classso :D
3. Consistent Cooking Dinner: I planned, then forgot the plan and ate other pre-cooked food, but still not eating out
:)
4. Read 2 Yoga Centric books this challenge: I picked Yoga Mala by Sri K. Pattahabi Jois and The Yoga Sutras bc I haven't finished them! (for shame!!!) :)
5. Cold Turkey Sugar & Dairy: sugar :) dairy :)
6. Carbs under 100g: 129g :(

Today's lessons:

• I missed not going to yoga classes, I'm glad I started again
  • i suck at balance poses
  • Doing workouts that make you die, makes sticking to your eating plan that much easier, bc doing all that work then eating it away, is NOT happening
  • I'm scared of not being where I want to for camp, fitness-wise

OH AND I HAVE MY FIRST EVER NERD MEETUP NEXT FRIDAY WITH JENNI :D :D (be jealous)

• Like 6

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

New Druid bebeh popping in just to say you are hella inspirational, both with your challenge and with how you approach it! You have so much energy it just pops from the screen. :)

THANK YOU :D I am glad you are here :) I will be perusing your challenge as well :D

ME TOO! I'm actually wearing one today that is a *STRETCH* to get on. I've had to adjust two or three times because it gets all bunched and uncomfortable and such. Ace bandage may be in my future. 

The ace bandages get really twisted and bunched too, they are just the only option other than a good expensive brace, and widely available. I got a 6" width one, and its not as bad as a shorter width one (typical ones are 3") so that may help. But the brace is definitely a better choice if you already have one :D

This is such fantastic news, congratulations! I *LOVE* Curvy Yoga. Her 5m sun salutation is what I want to follow for my own challenge. :)

I just signed up for Curvy Monthly, like yesterday...lol I have just done what's on Youtube, but I LOVE her and figured it was time to take the plunge. 

love your energy! Subbed to cheer for you and bask in your awesomeness! 

Thank you :D I'll head to your neck of the woods now :) 

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

I was too tired for a real update yesterday, but lemme just say...

I LOVE YOGA CLASSES.

I finally feel confident in them (sort of, nothing like not being able to get your foot forward for Warrior bc you have too much body in the way, so you have to go around and even then its a pain in the ass) but I did an hour long "Yoga for Athletes" (aka fast flow vinyasa class)  and it was NOTHING like the difficulty of boot camp. Cardio is NOT my strong area, by far. I got a workout, but I wasn't dead after, and that was nice :) But my transitions are  SLOW! LOL! But that comes with being fat and uncoordinated and will get better and easier with weight loss and practice. Not to mention, the last time I did a vinyasa class, I was at least 50 lbs thinner and had been doing it for several years consistently. 

I also haven't done a tree pose in eh, 16 months? (since I had surgery--Feb 2014-- I haven't done much of anything seriously with yoga before last week)  but I flailed around yesterday in my pitiful attempt. I NEED to practice balance poses, like EVERY day of my life....forever, or I will NEVER get them. I wanted to do crow, but was afraid I was going to break my wrists bc of the weight of my ass, so I didnt. I need to work on shoulder mobility like whoa too, bc my bridge is great, but I cant transition to wheel, like at all, bc my shoulders don't go that direction. 

So lessons from the mat for yesterday: 

1. Shoulder Mobility work is a MUST
  2. Practice Daily Balance Asanas is a MUST
  3. I have to do things I don't want to do, to get where I want to be. 
  4. Weight loss and consistent practice will get me there, along with doing what I need to, whether I want to do it or not

• Like 6

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

I don't believe I mentioned this yet, but a few days ago I got an email announcing the anniversary of Curvy Yoga. In said email, there was a giveaway for free lifetime access for her online yoga courses, inspirational videos, e-books etc. in addition to a discounted rate on monthly access to the program, which is refundable if you won...and I WON :D :D :D

• Like 15

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Woohoo bekah!  That's great news

• Like 1

(______ <\-/> ______)     Faille | Level 3 Elf Ranger/Druid

/_.-=-.\| " |/.-=-._\     [xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx78%--]
    /_   \(o_o)/    _\      STR 4.75 | DEX 7.75 | STA 8.75 | CON 11.5 | WIS 15.25 | CHA 8.75
     /_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
Current Challenge | #0 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6
        /((( )))\           My Battle Log
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

Whole 30 Progress - Complete!!  1/5/2015 - 2/3/2015 -  Meal Plan

Comic Con Countdown - Goal 155 lbs, 7 to go
0%
0%

Bah! I tried to make good choices at lunch today, but the tempeh sauce stuff on my taco bowl DEFINITELY had sugar (it tasted sweet) and a tortilla has 34g of carbs and I had 2.5 of them as chips (it was like 10 chips too :( )!

So I inadvertently had sugar and went WAYYYYYYY over my carbs today (171g as of now, should be 100g or less :( )

So that blows, but it was a lesson learned I suppose.

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Congrats on your prize! Your decorations are very springy!

• Like 1

Level 2 Human Druid

3.375 STR / 1.375 DEX / 0 STA / 2 CON / 3.75 WIS / 1 CHA

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was within me an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly." - R. Buckminster Fuller

Introduction - Daily Battle Log - Challenges 1 - Current

The red box on the half-wall is this :) I got it on sale for $15 :D

$_35.JPG

Door decoration :) I think I love this the most of all :)

7e21db2e-a912-434c-9ca1-595f25b6fdac_zps

and crappy picture of the front window with the cute gel thingys. It says happy spring and has a bluebird and flowers (hahaha you can see me and the neighbors house in the reflection off the window! lolololol)

image.jpg2_zpsceeuxonz.jpg

• Like 2

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Eh. A high carb day isn't bad every once in a while. Just don't beat yourself up or string another one after it and you should be good.

Also, no need to hurry. Yoga's a journey-discipline, as I remember it. You have what your body can do, and you enter into a long talk with it where it gradually tells you that your world has expanded and you can do a little bit more.

At least, that's what I remember from my brief fling with it.

Congrats on the contest! Hope you have a lovely time with the guru. :)

• Like 1

You would think in 30ish years on the earth, I would have learned not to respond to people when it's shark week and I'm detoxing off of sugar. Seriously, I said something slightly harsh about someone whining about an unfair situation while we are all (as a group, bc it affects several people) looking for a solution. Then they responded about it being harsh and undeserved, and I said something even less nice in response to that, because I have no patience for grown people whining like children bc they dont like something, which really is a problem with ME, and I realize that...but I always realize it AFTER I run my mouth. So I suppose I should apologize.

ok, apology done. DUDE, that was like a grown up mature thought process and response, albeit after the fact!!! :D :D :D :D 

• Like 5

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Eh. A high carb day isn't bad every once in a while. Just don't beat yourself up or string another one after it and you should be good.

Also, no need to hurry. Yoga's a journey-discipline, as I remember it. You have what your body can do, and you enter into a long talk with it where it gradually tells you that your world has expanded and you can do a little bit more.

At least, that's what I remember from my brief fling with it.

Congrats on the contest! Hope you have a lovely time with the guru. :)

Thank you :D I did much better today carb-wise, because you said this and it gave me the perspective I needed :wub: 

You are right with the yoga too, and i know that it's how it goes, and not having knee jerk reactions is something I am very much working on at the moment, and that includes emotional ones inside my head. 

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Week 1 Wrap up: 

1. Consistent Wake Up/Bedtimewake up  :) bedtime  :) 
2. Consistent Exercise Routine: I did all 4 days of workouts that I decided on initially (I added the yoga on Friday as an extra)  :D
3. Consistent Cooking Dinner: I planned many days but didn't actually follow through
  :(
4. Read 2 Yoga Centric books this challenge: I picked Yoga Mala by Sri K. Pattahabi Jois and The Yoga Sutras and started on the YS.  :) 
5. Cold Turkey Sugar & Dairy: sugar  :) dairy (one slip)  :)
6. Carbs under 100g: 2 days  :) 5 days :(

Weekly lessons:

• My feeling negatively does not give me the right to be a bitch
  • I need to not have 3 off days in a row, it makes me feel icky....maybe some fun, non-strenuous activity on the weekend? 
  • I need to follow through on my dinner plans by making a plate BEFORE I go to class and putting it in the fridge. 
  • this level of exercise makes eating well easier because I don't want to work that hard and fuck it up in the kitchen! 
  • I really WANT this to happen, bad enough that I am making it happen :) 
  • Like 7

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

One thing that I had happen recently that is entirely unrelated to my challenge goals, but is something I have mentioned here ad nauseum, is about employment and how it makes me feel that I don't work and have my own money and all that it brings. I have always felt like I wasn't happy without working and having my own money and contributing financially in my family. I have come to realize, that isn't actually entirely true. What makes me unhappy is financial instability and inability to influence how much money was coming into our house...and my only solution was "work to make more money" bc the thought of doing all those other things like cooking all the meals, sewing clothes, making soap and shampoo etc. etc. that you see as money saving tips, were (and are still) scary when I think of how much my brain sucks at organizing tasks into doable steps, and that is just TOO much for me to do mentally, work or not. So, I decided to stop beating myself up for not being the perfect housewife and saving money and super couponing and whatnot, and just do the goddamn best I can without all that bullshit cluttering up my head. We have food, we have clothes, we have a car and J has a job, so it's not like I am in abject poverty...and being that it looks like we are going to be able to inherit this house and that eliminates a really large hurdle financially. Seriously though, at the worst, we sell it and buy something we want if a total overhaul isn't worth the money. I am still planning to pursue the yoga teacher training because I want that entirely irrespective of our financial situation, and can work as little or as much as I want with it. Not to mention if/when the kids do leave home, I will have more time to do things I want and it will be easier :) I am not sure if this accounting work experience is still going to happen or not (it was as of last week, and I am supposed to go meet with them next week, but that's been said and not done before) but I am going to do it if it does, and not worry about it if it doesnt. 

So yeah, I know I have said similar things before, but I still held it all inside my head, the feelings of failure, but I really am ready to let that go now...and that is kind of an awesome thing. Thank you all for being supportive and listening to my constant whining about all of this. I realize that so much of my problems are me getting in my own way in one area or another, and this was just another one of those things. 

• Like 8

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

We just did the payout/lottery draw for Heroes today! I missed an exorbitant amount of workouts (12 over the allotted rest days) which equaled out to $60 in penalty payments, plus my $20 buy in, so I put in $80 total :( and we had FOUR winners who missed zero workouts and zero rest days, so that left 2 lottery draws for the other folks, and the lottery payout was like $65.25 and I was eligible, even though my chances of winning were slightly more than 50%.

Turns out I WON! So I made most of my money back :D :D :D I am totally using that loot to buy these yoga pants :D

• Like 6

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

We just did the payout/lottery draw for Heroes today! I missed an exorbitant amount of workouts (12 over the allotted rest days) which equaled out to $60 in penalty payments, plus my $20 buy in, so I put in $80 total :( and we had FOUR winners who missed zero workouts and zero rest days, so that left 2 lottery draws for the other folks, and the lottery payout was like $65.25 and I was eligible, even though my chances of winning were slightly more than 50%.

Turns out I WON! So I made most of my money back :D :D :D I am totally using that loot to buy these yoga pants :D

Awesome! You are on a roll with all the winning!!! Love the pants, they are so you! :)

• Like 1

My little hero

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move