No Quitting, Alarion!

A new day, a new opportunity...

At least such a view of life might help with many challenges that come my way.

Speaking of challenges, I have done several of those 6 week challenges, and have found them motivating. However, I have noticed that I often forget all my good intentions between them, or even become lazy by the end of each challenge. Also my life seems to be rather hectic and many things are happening at once, so I have decided to see if a daily battle log would fit my purposes better.

Errr... By the way, I am called Alarion (on here, and... here and there).

But back to business.

Even though I might not set many too specific goals, there are plenty of areas where I should keep an eye on what I am doing, so I have tried to categorize them somehow.

1. Overall health:

1. a. Sleep.

I have struggled in this area almost in every 6 week challenge and still seem not to get it right. Must. Go. Sleep. Before. Midnight. For my own good. So I better continue keeping track to make sure my owlish habits don't get too much out of hand. No specific goals though.

1. b. Chocolate, ice cream, and other delicious things.

I do tend to devour these in great amounts, especially when stressed, so it might help, maybe, if I jotted down how much and how often I eat these sweet things.

2. Physical fitness

2. a. Running (more like jogging, actually).

I do not run fast, but I am slowly making my way through the beginner schedule towards the goal of running 60 minutes without walking or stopping. Generally I try to run 3 times a week, but it is not always possible. Yet it is encouraging to see the progress in my run schedule.

2. b. A pull up, or several. Sometime in future.

I was following a schedule for a good while, but since my pull up bar does not want to remain securely in the door frame I have stopped it. I managed to work my way up to 2 chin ups though, and still doing them whenever I happen to pass by the pull up bar in the park.

3. c. Other random workouts and stretching routines.

I enjoy doing these once in a while to distract myself from sitting at the computer for too long and give my brain a break.

3. Professional stuff and such

There are many important events and dates coming up, so it would be good to keep track of them all here and write down any successes. It would definitely help me to keep going and not quit. So, here we go...

April 14: a test drive (not a real exam to get a license, but just a preliminary test of skills and getting to know how that particular car works so I can pass the driving exam and get my driver's license) Competed. Did pretty well, all in all.

April 16: A draft of my bachelor paper to be sent to my supervisor. But oh... I still need to write about 23 pages! Don't know if I can make it. Done.

April 17: Draft of bachelor paper to be registered with the department secretary.Draft handed in, though 32 pages, not 40. But is okay for a draft.

April 21: Driving exam Attempt #1. Success! No need for attempt #2. :D Quite unbelievable.

April 24: Presentation of bachelor paper draft ("pre-defence" we call it). Done!

May 7: Finished bachelor paper handed in to supervisor. All's good.

May 8: Vocabulary test in consecutive/simultaneous interpreting. Done.

May 22: Possibly, exam in consecutive interpreting.

Finished bachelor paper to be registered with the department secretary.

May 23: Possibly, esam in simultaneous interpreting. All of this is done; now just to wait for results.

May 25: Dentist appointment. Done. Next appointment in September.

June 5/6: Bachelor paper defence/presentation. Done! Seriously? But done!

Sometime in June: Exam in Latvian-English-Latvian written translation. Done on 23rd of June.

June 20: Graduation!

Okay, enough. If I get this far without quitting, it will be great. O.o

• Like 1

~ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Ranger

STR: 10.5 / DEX: 1 / STA: 2.9 / CON: 22 / WIS: 2 / CHA: 1

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Current challenge

Battle Log: No Quitting!

Nerdfit character: here

All right, let's see about the first day...

I did finish that bit of chocolate cream I still had left over, and last two slices of white bread. But might try and avoid those for a good while.

As for fitness part: went for a run: 10 min run (1.19 km), 2 min walk, 40 min run (4.72 km), also a little bit of HIIT and some exercises and stretching for neck and shoulders.

Wrote some 5 pages for my paper, so now I have 21.6 out of 40. And two days left. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

But at least today's driving lesson went relatively well, though I still make mistakes, of course. Tomorrow, will see how it goes.

• Like 1

~ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Ranger

Current challenge

Oi, surely a lot to handle, but must survive somehow. Ensi, we should make some virtual graduation party here! :D

And...

So I went to try out that test car, and it went pretty well. I might have passed it if it was an exam that counted, but it was very good as a confidence booster.

But... I was so stressed because of that driving test that my brain refuses to work, and I have only written half a page for that paper, so I need 18 more pages. I have decided that it would be better to go sleep now and then get up at 5 to write. I have found that my owlish habits have rather disappeared, so I might barely write half a page late in the evening, but type up 5-6 pages in a couple of hours early in the morning.

And, also I walked about 6 km.

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

But... I was so stressed because of that driving test that my brain refuses to work, and I have only written half a page for that paper, so I need 18 more pages. I have decided that it would be better to go sleep now and then get up at 5 to write. I have found that my owlish habits have rather disappeared, so I might barely write half a page late in the evening, but type up 5-6 pages in a couple of hours early in the morning.

That's how my brain feels like 78 % of the time! Let your brain have an evening off and get back to writing tomorrow?

And remember: it's the draft version of the bachelor paper! If you could outline the major points, maybe it doesn't need to be as long as the final version needs to be? Do your best, of course, but try to jot down your biggest points on the paper and fill in whatever you can in the time you have. Many people in my seminar group have done that, and they have continued working on the paper after they've presented their draft.

You're working hard, buddy! And oh yes, a graduation party. That's exactly what our poor, tired brains could use x__x

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

So that bachelor's paper draft has been handed in, 32 pages written. Talked with my supervisor today, and she assured me that it would be all right, and that I was on the right track. She is truly a very wise professor, and a great encourager, though she does require attention to detail and effort put in. Happy!

I haven't been doing much in terms of exercise for the last two days, but had my runs on Monday and Wednesday, a couple of chin ups, and even tried monkey bars. Managed maybe 6, but hey... it's better than just hanging there and not being able to move forward at all. And my favourite 6.2 km walk today to give my body and brain that rest.

As for food. Oh dear. Ice cream and chocolate, and chips. Ah well. I'll just have to get back to better eating habits. Tomorrow, perhaps. :D

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

So, mostly what I have done this weekend is rest, rest, and rest some more. Watched some hockey, some movies on tv, and Canada's Worst Drivers. I did walk some though, so haven't been absolutely lazy. Perhaps it is time to start moving a bit more again, come tomorrow; a run after my driving lesson, maybe. And then I should work some on that bachelor paper again and start improving it according to my supervisor's suggestions.

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

It feels so good to work out again after half a week of not doing so!

- Run 10 min (1.21 km), walk 2 min, run 40 min (4.34 km)

- 2+2 chin ups

- 8 monkey bars (all there were on that short thing, but that was all I could manage anyway)

- a short and easy cardio workout + 15 min of stretching

And driving test tomorrow! In today's driving lesson I almost ran through the red light (couldn't see the traffic lights well because of the sun), and almost didn't see a pedestrian (instructor saw her in the last moment too, so I don't feel that bad). I should be careful tomorrow, though. And from now on. Also I realize how important it is to make sure the cars will stop before crossing the street...

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

Getting back to working out is a wonderful feeling :D I'm glad to hear your supervisor is wise! The assignments don't always go according to schedual, which is actually pretty understandable when you're doing scientific research... Something new pops up and blows your other argument out of the water :D 

And driving test tomorrow! In today's driving lesson I almost ran through the red light (couldn't see the traffic lights well because of the sun), and almost didn't see a pedestrian (instructor saw her in the last moment too, so I don't feel that bad). I should be careful tomorrow, though. And from now on. Also I realize how important it is to make sure the cars will stop before crossing the street...

Good luck, Al!!

I passed that driving test! No second attempt needed. Still can't quite believe it! That Audi was difficult to get used to, and I made some careless and nervous mistakes, but it seems that none were too serious to fail the test. Now I'll have to focus on retaining the driving skills until I get a car (who knows when that time will come).

And to get the stress out of my system I walked for about 12 km today, but the weather was nice and sunny, so why not.

Just... that paper and driving have given me so much stress that I have messed up my eating-sleeping-workout schedule. It is very random at best, currently. Somehow I need to get back to the good habits I've been working on for months. That said... It's already past 1.00 a.m., so I better be off to bed.

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

Eh, the red guests have arrived too. Oh well, no wonder I crave sweets and what not. But perhaps I should start weekly evaluations to keep track of things.

Just to move around a bit I went for my run which is: run 10 min (1.15 km), walk 2 min, run 40 min (3.78 km). Also 2+2+1 chin ups.

Soooo sleepy though...

Ranger

Current challenge

Excellent job with the driving test!!

tumblr_inline_n94o03329t1sw6x7f.gif

I'm sending you all the strength and good vibes in the world to get through the thesis! I'm extremely stressed, as well, but we're so close to throwing the Ring into Mount Doom that not even Gollum can stop us!

It's been a long winter and you've been ridiculously brave. No wonder it's difficult to keep up with your good habits - just take small steps and do your best every day. Do what you can, and leave drastic changes to less stressful times. Doing one little thing every day is a lot more than doing nothing. :)

Have a wonderful Wednesday! And once again: congrats for being not-so-fast-or-furious behind the wheel :D

Thank you, Ensi. I still can't believe I've passed that driving test at the first go. :D

Let's go for it, and take care of those papers, right? Preleminary defense went well. I stressed myself too much for no reason; there was no need for some sort of presentation, since it was more like informal conversation with professors. So far, so good.

Oh, and hockey! Latvia won Slovakia 5:1, which is quite incredible altogether. I hope they will play this well in the championship...

And also I walked 12 km.

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

All right. Enough is enough! Must get back to some sort of healthy habits. Last week's average weight was 71.6 kg; and it is no good, considering I had gotten to about 68.9 or something.

I will do this: if I manage to do some sort of workout more than 4 days or more a week, a reward will be something delicious (on the weekend); and if I go to bed/switch off the light before 23.30 at least 4 nights a week, the reward will be games (also on weekend). So I'll attempt to keep sweets and games as bonuses and not something for every day. What with me having spent some 15 euros on ice cream and chocolate this month, and spending hours playing online games...

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

It almost feels so good not having eaten any sweets today... I hope avoiding these will help me regain some much needed energy, otherwise all I want to do is sleep and sleep some more.

Today's fitness stuff:

run 20 min (2.09 km), walk 2 min, run 20 min (2.33 km)

2+1 chin ups

pilates abs workout

10 min stretching for lower back

And now towards some reading and sleep.

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

All right. Enough is enough! Must get back to some sort of healthy habits. Last week's average weight was 71.6 kg; and it is no good, considering I had gotten to about 68.9 or something.

I will do this: if I manage to do some sort of workout more than 4 days or more a week, a reward will be something delicious (on the weekend); and if I go to bed/switch off the light before 23.30 at least 4 nights a week, the reward will be games (also on weekend). So I'll attempt to keep sweets and games as bonuses and not something for every day. What with me having spent some 15 euros on ice cream and chocolate this month, and spending hours playing online games...

Rewarding system is great! But is there anything else you could reward yourself with other than sweets? You could have some sweets during the weekend, and the reward would be something else. Maybe some nice activity, or a new video game (probably something that would take a bit more time)?

What games are you playing, by the way? :D

Well, I could buy some nice clothes, or a camera, or somesuch stuff. :D

I play random online games on facebook and miniclip and such. And then Settlers IV.

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

My warm running tights and hoodie arrived by DHL... In time too, seeing that I agreed to join my friend for 6-hour rogaining. So I'll have to set in order my sportswear, compass, flashlight, fluorescent vest, and what not for plodding through fields and forests. A crazy sudden adventure on March 2. It's been a while since the last rogaining I participated in.

But today. 5 km walk, and strength+balance+flexibility workout. My abs are sore from yesterday's workout too.

And I played facebook games today. Meh. Procrastination.

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

All right. It has been a while since I wrote here. Still attempting to finish the bachelor's paper (supervisor allowed a couple more days to hand in the finished product), and vocabulary test written.

Also, had much fun in rogaining race a week ago, since my friend's son could not participate and I had to step in for the team to be functional. We walked 26.2 km in 6 hours, up and down hills, through marshes in the dark... Loved it! Also squeezed in an orienteering event two days later. It wasn't that bad - I still remember somewhat how to read a map and use a compass. 2.8 km in 1 hour and 38 mins. At least I wasn't last in my group, and the course was difficult - many gave up even. But I think I have poked a few small holes in my shoes while trying to find my way through the woods and boggy places. Ah well.

But otherwise I really should get back to some exercising, though I have no idea how that will work if I decide to go places and such... But at least went for a run today, and also found that I can barely do 1 chin up. Ewww. I've definitely had too much laziness.

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

Well done handling your thesis! And I'm seriously impressed with the rogaining competition and orienteering...! You're in brilliant shape to handle those sort of activities :o

Hmm... What would be the absolute minimum amount of exercise you could do each week? And what are these places you'd decide to go to? Not sure if this is what happens to you, but sometimes I catch myself convincing myself that I shouldn't work out, because reasons :D Just try to fit in some exercise every week, and focus on your diet. That's the biggest part of the fight, anyways.

It was good to hear from you :) Hope you're having a good week!

Lalala... I'm here again somewhere. Paper handed in, and exams done. Now only defense left.

Ensi, I think orienteering is really fun and doesn't require too much "shape". For me it is only just fast walking, and sometimes taking 15 min to search for a check point which is somewhere right there. But rogaining is just a lot more walking. :D

But still need to sort out those eating-exercising-sleeping habits. Perhaps next week? Hmm.... I'm surely feeling horribly tired, so something must be done about it.

As for those places I'd like to go - I'm hoping to visit a friend in Finland, most likely sometime by the end of summer. And then perhaps some other friends in Latvia, but will see...

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

Lalala... I'm here again somewhere. Paper handed in, and exams done. Now only defense left.

Ensi, I think orienteering is really fun and doesn't require too much "shape". For me it is only just fast walking, and sometimes taking 15 min to search for a check point which is somewhere right there. But rogaining is just a lot more walking. :D

You made it!! The paper is handed in!! WHOOOOOT!! 8D Good luck with the defense, it's just another road bump on your way to Champion Town u__u

Orienteering is something I should probably try out, as well. Reading map and searching for things is fun...

Orienteering is definitely fun! :D

And it is rather strange to see that most things I listed in my first post have been done. Only two remain! Though I could easily add to it now: moving to another town to live with my grandma (I want to buy her apartment, and take care of her and show her how precious she is), one of the summer camps, and search for a job...

But I am not too happy with how things are with my habits. I feel horribly tired, and eating too much... of nonsensical foods, and have become very inflexible and can barely do one chin up. Meh. All I've done consistently is walk and walk some more. But not sure if I will be able to do much about it until I'm more or less settled.

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

And it is rather strange to see that most things I listed in my first post have been done. Only two remain! Though I could easily add to it now: moving to another town to live with my grandma (I want to buy her apartment, and take care of her and show her how precious she is), one of the summer camps, and search for a job...

But I am not too happy with how things are with my habits. I feel horribly tired, and eating too much... of nonsensical foods, and have become very inflexible and can barely do one chin up. Meh. All I've done consistently is walk and walk some more. But not sure if I will be able to do much about it until I'm more or less settled.

There you go, doing one thing at a time usually gets everything done in the end! And it's very sweet of you to think of your grandma, it's good to keep your family close :)

Ha, the thing about your habits sounds very familiar...! If it feels like it's a bad time to focus on doing big changes, just try and do small things daily. You've had a long winter with your studies and thesis, it's no wonder you have no mental energy left to think about your food intake or such. Get a lot of rest and drink a lot of water, for start! :D

My grandma is 87 years old already, so it is hard for her to bring the groceries home, etc. Though... I would have to give up my dream of having all the privacy I want. Suppose I'll just have to sit in a bath tub for hours or go for walks if I want to have my introvert batteries recharged.

Yeah... those habits. I suppose I will not start anything new in terms of goals until I'm settled more or less.

At least I walked 7.63 km today: 2.11 km to bus station in Ventspils and 5.52 km from bus station to grandma's apartment. With a heavy backpack, too. But the weather was too nice to take a tram.

And, the first exam result known: 8/10 in simultaneous interpreting. Luckily I had earned some good grades in midterm test and vocab test, I had only 7 and 7.5 in exams. Not overly happy, but didn't expect much with all those pauses I made and numbers I didn't mention...

Ranger

Current challenge