RES

Committing to take the best care of ourselves that we can, one tiny choice at a time

For two out of the last four challenges I have managed to not level up...I'm not going to say 'fail' because I'm trying to change my mindset regarding that, but I did not meet the goals I had set for myself.

Over the last year I've become a fan of Strong Coffey, while I was reading one of her posts the other day I came across the inspiration for this challenge regarding weight loss and food and our relationship with it.

Eat to feel better
Eat to curb the crazy
Eat to demonstrate care
Eat to cultivate love

Basically I know I feel better when I eat things I am supposed to, which for me is non-processed, whole foods. Eat to curb the crazy is when I do not eat what I should not, when I eat sugar I crave more of it, I used to polish off the large bag of m&m's (that is not a brag, just fact)...and even though I felt like crap and my stomach was killing me I still wanted more! I show my body I care about it when I eat like this and take care of it, and I need to "get to that place where we feel LOVE, we need to just start going through the motions as though we already care about and love our bodies just exactly as they are, whether or not that feels particularly sincere." (I stole this quote from the article because I can't improve on it one bit!) Another part of 'caring for my body' is I am trying to eliminate the extra chemicals and stuff from personal care products like shampoo and soap. This involves a bit more research since 'organic' and 'all natural' is not as regulated in the cosmetics industry as it is in food. SkinDeep offers a good resource to assist with this, and Mark's Daily Apple has a good list to start from.

Where all this comes from is my girlfriend and I went through a phase a few weeks ago (about the time I dropped off the face of the earth here) that every night we were either getting blizzards from DQ, master blasts from Sonic, or a pint of moose tracks ice cream (each)...I gained 10lbs in 3 weeks...we stopped a week ago and I've already lost 3 of that without changing anything else...honestly we are about 95% or more paleo in our eating if you take that factor out.

I did a 5k yesterday, Race for the Cure...I forgot how much I enjoy things like that, because my workouts have really fallen by the wayside. My problem is I have been late getting home, not sleeping well due to that, wedding plans, and general stress...I have been choosing sleep over workouts and I do not feel that is a horrible thing to do, but I do want to try and work out at least 3 days a week.

Stretching and yoga do help my neck as well as my RA, I am setting a goal to try and leave work by 5:30 every evening (scheduled to leave at 4, generally get out at 6:30 or later...so this is a compromise!) if I am able to I want to incorporate these yoga workouts into my evening routine. The reason for only doing it when I leave work at this time is I have an hour drive one way.

Next goal, likely after the wedding when I have a bit more time, is the 28 day run-yoga-meditation challenge

tl/dr

My goals this challenge:

Eat right (Paleo) - avoid sugar (exception for the wedding will be made)

Work out 3 times a week

Leave work by 5:30 - yoga when I meet this goal :)

Not going to break down the points right now, this challenge is to try and get back on track, will assign as I see fit at the end of the challenge.

• Like 7

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE in 2022

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 65

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

:ph34r:

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Good luck excellent goals.

Every time I read your screen name I always think of the legend of red eagle from Skyrim. I don't know if it is anything to do with that though.

Thank you...I almost hate to admit this here but I'm not a gamer, so not familiar with it (but my curiosity is getting the better of me now!)

I've used it for the last 13 years, favorite color, totem animal, life path...an ex and I came up with it to complement her 'name' (which is bluewolfspirit) :)

• Like 1

Spoiler

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Yay, Red's back! :D 

Actually, I completely missed you last challenge... whoops! 

• Like 2

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

used to polish off the large bag of m&m's (that is not a brag, just fact)

Where all this comes from is my girlfriend and I went through a phase a few weeks ago (about the time I dropped off the face of the earth here) that every night we were either getting blizzards from DQ, master blasts from Sonic, or a pint of moose tracks ice cream (each)...I gained 10lbs in 3 weeks...we stopped a week ago and I've already lost 3 of that without changing anything else...honestly we are about 95% or more paleo in our eating if you take that factor out.

Pfft, I can do that too.  Peanut m&ms, peanut butter m&ms, crispy m&ms, and almond m&ms.  I have... a problem.

The real brag is if we both play chubby bunny and you won.

Relief. I thought you wrote 'I gained 101 pounds in 3 weeks'.  Stupid 1 and L.  Was like, 'Holy shit, what was she doing for 33 pounds per week?  Must be chugging sausage and butter milkshakes.

Ok, gross. I don't even want to imagine that.

I got the green mint blizzard from DQ. There isn't a DQ here so I drove out of state. Pretty good.  Probably too good. Better off not having something like that so close.  My real weakness if once I start having Rita's.

Rita's Gelati's..... http://www.ritasice.com/

200_s.gif
  • Like 2

I had this awesome response and my computer went fubar and lost it :/

I remember part of it is I will not be seeking out that Gelati (though its been a while since anything has given me that type of reaction)...another is I have the best people stalking me :)

Today - worked out, elliptical 15 minutes

Breakfast - bacon and eggs

Lunch - kale salad with this dressing and Shrimp & Sausage Skillet

Dinner - Savannah chopped salad from McAllisters, had a meeting with the DJ tonight, so even though I left work in time, didn't get home until after 7, so no yoga :(

• Like 3

Spoiler

Hello, I saw some posts of yours over in the "Baton Rouge, LA" meetup thread, and I saw that you were local (I live in Clinton).  So I figured I'd come introduce myself and help cheer you on. 

I got married last May and went through a lot of the stuff you're talking about, the ice cream every night, eating junk on the regular.  Since you're already taking steps away from that, you're on the right track.  Good luck with it! 

tumblr_inline_nm95s3zv9K1qc34z4.gif

Also, now that I'm here, I'm stealing your dressing from yesterday's lunch, that looks delicious, and I just bought some fresh ginger that I need to figure out what to do with. 

• Like 2

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

*grabby hands at salad dressing*

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Ohhh, now my computers gone fubar. :tongue:

ErToLK2uuAAF2.gif

(dubble post) xD

• Like 3

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

Great goals! And yeah, good food makes me feel better too. Like, in the long run, not in the "I just had chocolate and OMG CHOCOLATE" timeframe.

• Like 1

Level 10 Superhero Trainee (Ranger)

Str 20   Dex 12   Sta 15   Con 15   Wis 13   Cha 16

My Battle Log: Getting Back on the Horse

Challenges! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NerFiWriCh Completed: 1!

My book! The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle.

To all you saints and sinners!

You losers and you winners!

Here's to one more day above the roses!

Hey there, you! 

I know the feels on trying to eat right while managing stress and so on (I'm on a break this challenge for that reason). I also know the feels on trying to get back on track and avoid binges. I so relate. 

i-know-that-feel-bro.jpg

I like the goals you're going with, especially the leaving by 5:30. I have similar issues. Stay late way more than I should, then go to the gym late, then get home late, eat dinner late. It sucks.

And of course, Subscribed. Duh. ;)

always-watching-cat.jpg

• Like 2

SHAEON

Jedi Apprentice

Druid Character Sheet

Daily Battle Log: Shaeon Restores Balance to the Force

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Current Challenge: Shaeon Focuses

"With great boots comes great responsibility."

That is OK, essentially you gon on an epic quest and get a sword for your trouble

That sounds oddly awesome...my kids have probably played it at some point (2 of my 3 boys are big gamers)

Hello, I saw some posts of yours over in the "Baton Rouge, LA" meetup thread, and I saw that you were local (I live in Clinton).  So I figured I'd come introduce myself and help cheer you on. 

Also, now that I'm here, I'm stealing your dressing from yesterday's lunch, that looks delicious, and I just bought some fresh ginger that I need to figure out what to do with. 

Oh wow, I forgot about that thread...welcome neighbor! Please feel free to steal any recipes you like :)

*grabby hands at salad dressing*

You could ask...however I do like grabby hands ;)

Fubaaaaaaaaar. xD

I love that word. 

Me too! My father used to say it all the time...

I am cheering for you!

And I am for you (or will be soon! :))

Great goals! And yeah, good food makes me feel better too. Like, in the long run, not in the "I just had chocolate and OMG CHOCOLATE" timeframe.

Exactly!! Trying to convince myself that immediate gratification is not always best...

Love this! Subbed and cheering for you!

Thank you!!

Hey there, you! 

I know the feels on trying to eat right while managing stress and so on (I'm on a break this challenge for that reason). I also know the feels on trying to get back on track and avoid binges. I so relate. 

I like the goals you're going with, especially the leaving by 5:30. I have similar issues. Stay late way more than I should, then go to the gym late, then get home late, eat dinner late. It sucks.

And of course, Subscribed. Duh. ;)

always-watching-cat.jpg

Knew I was having a tough time finding you for some reason...problem with leaving then is making sure everything I absolutely have to get done, is done...things are calming down a bit though, almost fully staffed, everyone is trained...it's like waiting for the other shoe to drop! I'm either almost caught up or forgetting what I need to do...

4292012160004fsgsg.jpeg

I freaking love this :) so let's give you something to look at, shall we?

Tuesday

Breakfast - bacon and eggs (usual)

Lunch - boss took us out for Mexican, because for the first time in the history of forever the auditors were done in six days (because she stopped trying to do it all and turned some over to us, hence, lunch) I had fish tacos, rice, and beans

Dinner - Bacon, Chicken, and Avocado salad (YUM!) I did add some dried cranberries to it.

Left work at 6:30? I think

Wednesday - Put away a 112 piece truck

Breakfast - usual

Lunch - Leftover salad

Dinner - One Skillet Paleo Dinner I love this because it's so easy but is really good

Left work at 6

Thursday 

Breakfast - usual

Lunch - leftover mama's meal, baked chicken, veggies, and half a sweet potato

Dinner - Paleo Chicken Taco Bowls I do not eat peppers, and I added some black olives.

Left work at 5 - bad storms, driving was not fun...

My Certified Dietary Manager course starts the 28th

Final count is due to the caterer tomorrow

Going to stalk some threads now ;)

• Like 3

Spoiler

Knew I was having a tough time finding you for some reason...problem with leaving then is making sure everything I absolutely have to get done, is done...things are calming down a bit though, almost fully staffed, everyone is trained...it's like waiting for the other shoe to drop! I'm either almost caught up or forgetting what I need to do...

My Certified Dietary Manager course starts the 28th

Final count is due to the caterer tomorrow

Subbing!

Good that your new staff are trained and you can start getting your life back. I know that feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop. My department was fully staffed for about eight months before someone left. Now I'm back to overly busy at work.

You are starting another course?!? What ambition! I hope it does not take too much of your new-found rest and recovery time.

• Like 1

Level 60  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

Subbing!

Good that your new staff are trained and you can start getting your life back. I know that feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop. My department was fully staffed for about eight months before someone left. Now I'm back to overly busy at work.

You are starting another course?!? What ambition! I hope it does not take too much of your new-found rest and recovery time.

Woo-Hoo!! :) So happy to see you!!

I may have spoken too soon, today I had one tell me (kitchen) that their brother in law passed and they need Mon. and Tues off, another has a sister who is very ill and is her only transportation, who is having surgery Tuesday...I may be cooking that day! 

This is actually the course I've been waiting on, nothing to do with my accounting degree, it's further training to run a hospital kitchen and is a certificate program, not degree :) and I don't want to get bored :D

Today - rain, rain, go away...my joints can't take another day...

Breakfast - usual

Lunch - leftover taco bowls

Dinner - Sweet Potato and Bacon Burger with kale salad and the dressing posted earlier, however, I used real beef and real bacon, not the turkey stuff they have in the recipe.

left work at 1:00, yes, that is correct....went and got my hair cut, talked with my officiant that is doing the hand-fasting, and the caterer is taken care of, next weekend we meet at the venue to go over everything, get the cake details finished up...and if I don't strangle her the Friday following we will be married...

That remains to be seen...

• Like 1

Spoiler

I would advise against strangling if only because you've put it on the interwebs. Being arrested tends to put a damper on ceremonies. 

I mean. So I've heard. 

I'll bake you a cake with a nail file inside.

• Like 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Yes, and I'm not a fan of being handcuffed for that purpose! ;)

Today was a nice relaxing day...got my nails and toes done :D

Breakfast - eggs, bacon, and sweet potato bowl

Lunch - McAllister's chopped Savannah salad

Dinner - Primal Chinese Orange Chicken and Kale salad

Trying to make the switch to more green tea and not as much coffee...I'm starting with evenings, I usually drink the better part of a pot when I get home from work...we will see how this goes...

• Like 1

Spoiler