KB Girl; Another Chance

KB Girl

Main goal: be a professional competitive kettlebeller! 

Last challenge ended in a dud.. I do have good 'excuses' but I am still disappointed. Being here is good for me, not least because of all the awesome people that help keep things in perspective.

My main goals during this challenge will be working towards the national championships in my sport and running my own business(es) full-time for a trial period. (Yes, I decided to give it a shot!) 

So here I am again, hoping you guys will give me another chance :D

https://youtu.be/kTecD5Bd5kA

A progress video with 24kg, still working on that lineair progression.

As usual I will post about my kettlebell training and other random things, but I will update on the following goals at least three times a week; 

Goal 1: Keep up the training log

The log is actually really important, but when i'm busy I forgot about it. Since I really want to work on making this a habit I will write in my log every day for the next 6 weeks. 

Goal 2: The fun stuff; hand balancing and ringwork

It's important to have some fun with training to keep me from burning out, but it's not fun anymore when there is a lack of progress... so work on both at least once a week. (and have fun doing it!) 

Goal 3: A morning routine

When working from home I've noticed that I really have trouble getting going with doing useful stuff, so over the next 6 weeks I want to work on creating a morning routine for myself that's doable and will help with that. And maybe I can have it help me keep the house in something resembling order too ;)

• Like 6

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

The tags on your thread make me smile. Kettlebells and GMB, what a happy combination. And always super happy to see you.

Right? :) I've been listening to the GMB podcast while doing my bike riding, it's great stuff. Happy to see you too! I'll go find your thread and see if there is any kb-ing going on.

Great to see you back in for another challenge!

I really hope your business running trial goes well :) :)

Thank you! 

Those goals seem ace! I'm especially interested in the rings is the that GMB part? I have been thinking about investing in a pair and getting on the rings one program.

Yes, rings and floor work from GMB. You should definitely go get the program and a set of rings, couldn't recommend it more!

I'm glad you're prioritizing the fun stuff a bit more than you have in the past.   :)

Why is that? :) 

Yay! Hi!

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Why is that? :)

Mostly, I just get excited when people are playing with rings or hand balancing.  :)  Any particular skills you're working on, or is it just a general, do whatever you feel like doing kind of thing?

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Yay! Hi!

Hi! :D

Mostly, I just get excited when people are playing with rings or hand balancing.   :)  Any particular skills you're working on, or is it just a general, do whatever you feel like doing kind of thing?

Definitely still aiming for that freestanding handstand. Doing that whenever I find a spotter. Want to keep working on frogger-kicking-into it, just because. And want to practice rolling out of it (still terrifies me). I want to nail that crow variation where you put your knees really high up and keep your arms straight..

For rings... really want to make improvements on the german hang... I want to be able to go from a deadhang to inverted.. and I want my pull-ups to be less 'barely under the chin' and more solidly 'hands besides breasts'.

And yes, also whatever I feel like doing.

Found you :). Your goals are nice and well-defined, and I hope you'll enjoy your job :).

Thanks! I hope so too. I definitely enjoy parts of it, no worries there. And today i'm actually doing a good job of posting stuff to Facebook and networking. 

Yesterday (sunday) we had our annual gym kettlebell sport competition. It went great, pretty smooth, it was good fun. We had twice as many people as last year, so that's definitely a win! Only bummer is that we all completely forgot to take a group picture.. 

I competed in longcycle, 20kg. Did 97 reps in 10 minutes. A little sad that I didn't hit the 100, but it was a PR by 13 reps so no complaining. 

https://youtu.be/M57xKqkmx-w

Today (monday) I was pretty sore so quietly suffering. I spend an hour cleaning up the gym, another hour teaching our new intern some basic kettlebell stuff and a couple of minutes doing 2 chin-ups, 2 german hangs and 1 top position hold. So not much at all! But I put it into my log anyway, for the habit building. Don't think i'm counting it as actual ring work though. 

• Like 3

oh hi! I love your morning routine goal. I am frequently grumbing about my morning chores, so I'm looking forward to see what you come up with (and if I can steal its positivity).

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

oh hi! I love your morning routine goal. I am frequently grumbing about my morning chores, so I'm looking forward to see what you come up with (and if I can steal its positivity).

hi! I'm not a morning person, so maybe don't expect too much positivity ;) 

For crane pose, have you seen GMB's planche tutorial? The progression seems pretty good. I've been doing the first steps in my handbalancing classes as conditioning but now I'm toying with the idea of using their progression to work up to crane. It's a pretty cool pose!

Glad to have you back!

I scanned over that article briefly, but i'll go and reread it, thanks for the tip :)

Glad to be back! 

Glad to see you back! I too ended the last challenge in a dud, so I right there with you getting back on the horse!

Oh good, i'm not too alone then! 

Tuesday was good. In the morning I had my first two PT clients and then my boyfriend and I trained together :) This doesn't actually happen very often at all, I think the last time was a couple months ago. It was nice. I did; 

- 3min snatch 12kg on right arm (45 reps), 2min break

- 3min snatch 12kg on left arm (45 reps), 5min break

- 2min snatch 16kg on right arm (30 reps), 1min break

- 2min snatch 16kg on left arm (30 reps)

Then in the evening we (another trainer and me) did some stretching, wrist prehab, crow pose and handstands. I got one of my last attempts on video and it's really a perfect example of why making video is a good idea.... I didn't realise I had this weird bend at the hips and apparantly it gets worse as I get more tired. I wonder why, anyone any thoughts?

https://youtu.be/zB4arA-KrLI

• Like 2

I'd hazard that the hip bend is actually just trying to counter the bend in your shoulders. Tired shoulders = broken angle = hips bending to try to correct it. 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I do the same thing, and it's really bugging me. You can try a drill where you do a belly to the wall handstand and go back and forth between full hip extension (hips touching the wall) and a slight pike (stick your butt out) to get the feel for where your pelvis is in space. Take a video and see if what you think you're doing is matching what you're actually doing. I always think that when I'm fully extended I have a huge arch, but in fact my body is just straight.

As Raptron said it's to counter the shoulder position, but I wonder if it doesn't come from subconscious residual fear of falling over forwards. If your hips are slightly piked you're more likely to bail backwards.

I watched your video. It look impressive to me, though I do see what you mean about the hip bend. However, I do not have any thoughts, as I know nothing about handstands. I mostly just wanted to mention that, for some reason known only to the gods of the internet, the next video youtube wanted to play for me, based on my interest on your handstand video (I guess?) was a video of a peacock spider. I have no idea why, but it was a cool video.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

I'd hazard that the hip bend is actually just trying to counter the bend in your shoulders. Tired shoulders = broken angle = hips bending to try to correct it. 

Good call, i'll have to make a video of one of my first attempts to see if it gets progressively worse. 

I do the same thing, and it's really bugging me. You can try a drill where you do a belly to the wall handstand and go back and forth between full hip extension (hips touching the wall) and a slight pike (stick your butt out) to get the feel for where your pelvis is in space. Take a video and see if what you think you're doing is matching what you're actually doing. I always think that when I'm fully extended I have a huge arch, but in fact my body is just straight.

As Raptron said it's to counter the shoulder position, but I wonder if it doesn't come from subconscious residual fear of falling over forwards. If your hips are slightly piked you're more likely to bail backwards.

Belly to the wall handstands absolutely terrify me... but sure, challenge accepted! I do really feel like i'm fully extended, weird how that works hm. The residual fear of falling over is a really solid theory too! It shouldn't be there because I had a spotter, but i'd be lying if I said I was fully confident. Do you think you have that?

horse_roll_gif__by_moonwalkinghorse-d5yd

Hey that's not really making it easy to STAY on the horse! :D

I watched your video. It look impressive to me, though I do see what you mean about the hip bend. However, I do not have any thoughts, as I know nothing about handstands. I mostly just wanted to mention that, for some reason known only to the gods of the internet, the next video youtube wanted to play for me, based on my interest on your handstand video (I guess?) was a video of a peacock spider. I have no idea why, but it was a cool video.

A peacock spider? :D Weird but funny! 

Wednesday was my rest day, but inspired by Hatter I decided to go for a short run to re-build. I find it really annoying because my lungs are fine but my legs start hurting really quickly. Not sure how far I went, but I ran for 15 minutes. Then stopped in the park to do some handstands without a spotter to see how my brain was doing. Mostly it was trying to actually get vertical despite my brains protest. I think I only managed once. This was my best try;

https://youtu.be/uez5LE0SCsI

Thursday I had planned for kettlebell work and backsquats, but I was a bit too optimistic. I had to teach three classes in a row, preparation took longer than I expected and by the time the third class was almost done I realized it wasn't going to happen. But no biggie, I'll do it today. Instead I joined my last class for the last 20 minutes in their ring work. I did;

4 sets of 3 german hangs / skin the cats, whatever you want to call them. I'm definitely gaining some depths where I can still get back on my own. 

5 sets of 1 five second super-tucked back lever hold. First time I managed to get it properly horizontal. Could barely last the 5 seconds and couldn't get back on my own at all, but still feels like good progress.

Morning routine+logging; 

I decided to go with the following; get up, wash, get dressed, one laundry step, sweep floor, unmess kitchen, make breakfast, log while eating. So good news is that I logged my work the last 2 days, bad news is that after breakfast I still felt like I could use a break instead of getting ready to be productive :tongue: I'll give it some more time though and see how it goes.

• Like 3

Woo for rings progress! And wow, that sounds like a very busy Thursday. 

Handstand in the park. <3 I know that this was mostly a mental exercise to push past fear of falling over/hitting vertical outside, and you definitely kicked through the vertical, which is awesome for pushing past that mental barrier! You had a nice, aggressive kick-up! I don't know if you are aiming for a more gymnastics style handstand practice or more of a yoga handstand or a handbalancing handstand, but I think getting more PUSH through your shoulders will be helpful no matter what handstand you are going for. Awesome mental progress, regardless. :D

Raptron, alot assassin