KB Girl; Another Chance

KB Girl

Wednesday was my rest day, but inspired by Hatter I decided to go for a short run to re-build. I find it really annoying because my lungs are fine but my legs start hurting really quickly. Not sure how far I went, but I ran for 15 minutes. Then stopped in the park to do some handstands without a spotter to see how my brain was doing. Mostly it was trying to actually get vertical despite my brains protest. I think I only managed once. This was my best try;

https://youtu.be/uez5LE0SCsI

Thursday I had planned for kettlebell work and backsquats, but I was a bit too optimistic. I had to teach three classes in a row, preparation took longer than I expected and by the time the third class was almost done I realized it wasn't going to happen. But no biggie, I'll do it today. Instead I joined my last class for the last 20 minutes in their ring work. I did;

4 sets of 3 german hangs / skin the cats, whatever you want to call them. I'm definitely gaining some depths where I can still get back on my own. 

5 sets of 1 five second super-tucked back lever hold. First time I managed to get it properly horizontal. Could barely last the 5 seconds and couldn't get back on my own at all, but still feels like good progress.

Morning routine+logging; 

I decided to go with the following; get up, wash, get dressed, one laundry step, sweep floor, unmess kitchen, make breakfast, log while eating. So good news is that I logged my work the last 2 days, bad news is that after breakfast I still felt like I could use a break instead of getting ready to be productive :tongue: I'll give it some more time though and see how it goes.

Impressive ring stuff. On the morning routine + logging. This is my third challenge working on morning routine. Each time I changed it a bit, trying to find what works best for me. And just really working on habit building, because I really struggle with getting going in the morning.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

One of the things that has really been helping me with alignment and shoulder push is doing the wall supported split handstands.  You basically stand with your back to the wall, put your hands down about a meter from the wall (but you'll have to find the exact spot that's perfect for you), step your feet up into an inverted L shape, and then swing out one leg into an upside down split.  I try to find that exact spot where I'm perfectly aligned, I'm barely grazing the wall with my big toe, and I'm otherwise balanced.  The splits help me make sure that my legs, hips, and back aren't doing anything too weird, so I can mostly concentrate on my shoulder alignment and balance.  

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Belly to the wall handstands absolutely terrify me... but sure, challenge accepted! I do really feel like i'm fully extended, weird how that works hm. The residual fear of falling over is a really solid theory too! It shouldn't be there because I had a spotter, but i'd be lying if I said I was fully confident. Do you think you have that?

Umm yes and no? When I started with handstands I did A LOT of back to the wall handstands, which in retrospect was a really bad idea. Partly because it's not possible to find good alignment and partly because I used it as safety wheels, and then it took me a really long time to overcome the fear of doing them freestanding. Now I feel comfortable in kicking up and cartwheeling out, but since I used the safety wheels for such a long time I think I have residual form issues from that. I'm also not comfortable with rolling out of the handstand, or even cartwheeling out on my bad side. So it could be that my brain is still holding me back a bit. Or it could also simply be poor proprioception. It's difficult to tell what you look like when you're upside down and you're trying to balance and keep form and loads of little things at the same time. For that video and spotters are really helpful. And drills, lots of drills.

One of the things that has really been helping me with alignment and shoulder push is doing the wall supported split handstands.  You basically stand with your back to the wall, put your hands down about a meter from the wall (but you'll have to find the exact spot that's perfect for you), step your feet up into an inverted L shape, and then swing out one leg into an upside down split.  I try to find that exact spot where I'm perfectly aligned, I'm barely grazing the wall with my big toe, and I'm otherwise balanced.  The splits help me make sure that my legs, hips, and back aren't doing anything too weird, so I can mostly concentrate on my shoulder alignment and balance.  

That's funny, I find it much more difficult to find good alignment in the splits handstand. Or straight alignment maybe I should say. When I've done the split ones I've been aiming for a wider split and that requires a different alignment of the pelvis. You should definitely give it a go though, the lower center of mass might help your balance and it's always interesting to try different variations.

Woo for rings progress! And wow, that sounds like a very busy Thursday. 

Handstand in the park. <3 I know that this was mostly a mental exercise to push past fear of falling over/hitting vertical outside, and you definitely kicked through the vertical, which is awesome for pushing past that mental barrier! You had a nice, aggressive kick-up! I don't know if you are aiming for a more gymnastics style handstand practice or more of a yoga handstand or a handbalancing handstand, but I think getting more PUSH through your shoulders will be helpful no matter what handstand you are going for. Awesome mental progress, regardless. :D

Actually i'm not sure what the differences are between the handstand styles you mentioned.. I guess I just wanted to be able to do a freestanding handstand xD Can you tell me more?

Getting more push is definitely something i'll work on! 

Impressive ring stuff. On the morning routine + logging. This is my third challenge working on morning routine. Each time I changed it a bit, trying to find what works best for me. And just really working on habit building, because I really struggle with getting going in the morning.

What does yours look like now? I really struggle with it too. I'd honestly prefer my day to start around midday.. sometimes I stay in bed in the morning to read a bit, which is .. really not so great.

The thought of it absolutely terrifies me (I saw you and Hatter doing it last challenge), but i'm putting it on my list of things to try. Let's see how long my brain will procrastinate on that one ;) Thanks for the tip!

Umm yes and no? When I started with handstands I did A LOT of back to the wall handstands, which in retrospect was a really bad idea. Partly because it's not possible to find good alignment and partly because I used it as safety wheels, and then it took me a really long time to overcome the fear of doing them freestanding. Now I feel comfortable in kicking up and cartwheeling out, but since I used the safety wheels for such a long time I think I have residual form issues from that. I'm also not comfortable with rolling out of the handstand, or even cartwheeling out on my bad side. So it could be that my brain is still holding me back a bit. Or it could also simply be poor proprioception. It's difficult to tell what you look like when you're upside down and you're trying to balance and keep form and loads of little things at the same time. For that video and spotters are really helpful. And drills, lots of drills.

That's funny, I find it much more difficult to find good alignment in the splits handstand. Or straight alignment maybe I should say. When I've done the split ones I've been aiming for a wider split and that requires a different alignment of the pelvis. You should definitely give it a go though, the lower center of mass might help your balance and it's always interesting to try different variations.

Thanks that's really interesting to read! My bf usually starts people learning the handstand with the back to the wall, i'll tell him maybe it's worth reconsidering. I personally much prefer practicing with a spotter, but it has to be a good one. Some spotters are really annoying xD But video/spotters/drills. I think I can do that!

Look I found a gif of a poor soul that didn't get your KB classes! 

kv7Tv0t.gif

:X Nice combination between painful and hilarious to watch.

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl gets her bujo back

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Friday my morning routine went well, but I found myself very annoyed for the rest of the day with the general mess. Spend a lot of time doing something about that instead of the work I ought to be doing. Oh well. 

In the evening I did my kettlebell work, which hit me like a hammer, but I got a shiny new PR for it. I did; 

16kg snatch 3 minutes first on right arm, then 3min break, then 3 minutes on left arm. Both at 14rpm.

Next I did a semi-max-effort with 24kg snatch, I got 20 reps each arm. (it was semi-max because I decided I would really like to get 20 and then magically 20 is actually my max. which is clearly bullshit and I probably could have gotten 1 or 2 more.)

Finished up with 4 sets of 2 minutes (2 sets on each arm) with the 12kg.

Hit the rings for a couple of assisted pull-ups and the p-bars for a couple top position holds. I'd thought about maybe doing some backsquats, but I was pretty pooped so went home instead.

Saturday was my work day (once a week, 10 hours in the organic grocery store. it's my back up plan). Lately i've been taking the bike to work, it's 40 minutes both ways. I had expected my shoulders to be fried but instead on the way home I discovered it's my legs/butt that really need a rest day. 

• Like 3

Congrats on your new PR! Even though you were annoyed during the day for all the mess you apparently had to clean up, I think you did finish the day with a bang! 

Good job for taking the bike to work more often! The weather is getting better too so that's nice <3 

The thought of it absolutely terrifies me (I saw you and Hatter doing it last challenge), but i'm putting it on my list of things to try. Let's see how long my brain will procrastinate on that one ;) Thanks for the tip!

Just put a big, fluffy crash mat right behind your hands.  :)  You'll be fine.

Congrats on the PR!

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Actually i'm not sure what the differences are between the handstand styles you mentioned.. I guess I just wanted to be able to do a freestanding handstand xD Can you tell me more?

Thanks that's really interesting to read! My bf usually starts people learning the handstand with the back to the wall, i'll tell him maybe it's worth reconsidering. I personally much prefer practicing with a spotter, but it has to be a good one. Some spotters are really annoying xD But video/spotters/drills. I think I can do that!

A gymnastics handstand is super straight and tight in order to provide maximum "push-off" for other tricks, like handsprings or on the rings. In circus the handstand is more relaxed, it's supposed to be a resting position between other cool hand balancing tricks. It's still a straight handstand but it's more relaxed in the shoulders to minimise energy expenditure. A yoga handstand is even more relaxed and can have a bit of an arch.

I don't think that learning the handstand with the back to the wall is necessarily a bad thing, but I think it should be clear that it's for training kick-ups and balance and not form. Once the kick-ups are more or less solid I don't think it's worth spending much time in that position though, otherwise there's a risk of it becoming a crutch like for me. Spotters are awesome, but hard to find a good one. It's definitely a skill!

• Like 1

What does yours look like now? I really struggle with it too. I'd honestly prefer my day to start around midday.. sometimes I stay in bed in the morning to read a bit, which is .. really not so great.

:X Nice combination between painful and hilarious to watch.

One thing that helps is that when I start my day reading my Bible, I read it standing up. I think that helps signal my brain, that yes it really is time to get moving. Maybe you could allow yourself a bit of reading time, as long as you are standing up. One of my favorite things to do when I have the time, is to lay in bed and read in the morning though.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Friday my morning routine went well, but I found myself very annoyed for the rest of the day with the general mess. Spend a lot of time doing something about that instead of the work I ought to be doing. Oh well. 

In the evening I did my kettlebell work, which hit me like a hammer, but I got a shiny new PR for it. I did; 

16kg snatch 3 minutes first on right arm, then 3min break, then 3 minutes on left arm. Both at 14rpm.

Next I did a semi-max-effort with 24kg snatch, I got 20 reps each arm. (it was semi-max because I decided I would really like to get 20 and then magically 20 is actually my max. which is clearly bullshit and I probably could have gotten 1 or 2 more.)

Finished up with 4 sets of 2 minutes (2 sets on each arm) with the 12kg.

Hit the rings for a couple of assisted pull-ups and the p-bars for a couple top position holds. I'd thought about maybe doing some backsquats, but I was pretty pooped so went home instead.

Saturday was my work day (once a week, 10 hours in the organic grocery store. it's my back up plan). Lately i've been taking the bike to work, it's 40 minutes both ways. I had expected my shoulders to be fried but instead on the way home I discovered it's my legs/butt that really need a rest day. 

Impressive PR and workout.

Mad Hatter got the handstand variations for me. :)

That's a lot of biking! I'm not surprised your legs are looking for some mercy. I bet it's a nice ride though!

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Congrats on your new PR! Even though you were annoyed during the day for all the mess you apparently had to clean up, I think you did finish the day with a bang! 

Good job for taking the bike to work more often! The weather is getting better too so that's nice <3 

The weather is really really nice lately :) 

It's probably just general tiredness that makes me grumpy with the mess.. 

Just put a big, fluffy crash mat right behind your hands.   :)  You'll be fine.

Congrats on the PR!

Thanks! and yea, i'll do that :D

A gymnastics handstand is super straight and tight in order to provide maximum "push-off" for other tricks, like handsprings or on the rings. In circus the handstand is more relaxed, it's supposed to be a resting position between other cool hand balancing tricks. It's still a straight handstand but it's more relaxed in the shoulders to minimise energy expenditure. A yoga handstand is even more relaxed and can have a bit of an arch.

I don't think that learning the handstand with the back to the wall is necessarily a bad thing, but I think it should be clear that it's for training kick-ups and balance and not form. Once the kick-ups are more or less solid I don't think it's worth spending much time in that position though, otherwise there's a risk of it becoming a crutch like for me. Spotters are awesome, but hard to find a good one. It's definitely a skill!

Very interesting! Thanks for the info. I think i'm looking for more of a gymnasticy handstand.. but mostly I haven't really thought about where to go from having a handstand, it's just something that's on my shiny list without further ambition. I'm sure i'll figure it out eventually. 

One thing that helps is that when I start my day reading my Bible, I read it standing up. I think that helps signal my brain, that yes it really is time to get moving. Maybe you could allow yourself a bit of reading time, as long as you are standing up. One of my favorite things to do when I have the time, is to lay in bed and read in the morning though.

Thank you for the tip! I also very much love to lay in bed and read some more, it's one of the traps that'll eat through my morning xD

Mad Hatter got the handstand variations for me. :)

That's a lot of biking! I'm not surprised your legs are looking for some mercy. I bet it's a nice ride though!

It's really kind of boring! But spotify and GMB podcasts are doing the trick.

Sunday was a planned restday and monday turned into another restday. It had to happen, so that's fine.

Tuesday is my busy gym day, it was especially busy because our toilet pretty much exploded. It was lots of fun sorting that out :P 

So I had to cut my own workout short, ended up just doing 10kg snatch, 6 minutes on each side. I failed it on my left arm, it slipped out of my grasp at 5:15. Still pretty happy with that in the midst of exploding toilets :D The 8pm group was only 2 people so I joined them for the rings part of the training. Bunch of pullups and german hangs/ skin the cats/ whatever you want to call them.

Wednesday I traveled to the other side of the Netherlands for a couple of personal training sessions, it was fun to see another gym and teaching kettlebellsport. During the break I did a short workout of my own; 12kg snatches 3 minutes on each hand, which was actually fairly easy (progress!) and then did another set with 24kg. Pushed it and reached 25 on my right arm, but then my heartrate was too high and had to abandon the left arm after 19 reps. Still happy with it.

My morning routine.... well, I made the bed every day. It needs some thought. More on that later, it's time for bed!

• Like 1

Oh, well... yay for biking anyway! :P

Nice work getting in your workouts. :)

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

1. Training log; 

My log is actually filled in with the last two weeks, accurately. It's already telling me useful things! However, writing down the data is still pretty far from becoming a habit. Next two weeks I plan to log with my breakfast, no exceptions.

2. Training + the fun stuff; 

Thursday my right shoulder was super super tight, so I took it easy. Did the warmup, did a little press & jerk ladder (up to 22kg and 32kg respectively) and then just took it easy.

Friday I did a short kettlebell workout (attempted 16kg snatches 3 minutes on both hands, but I failed my left), moved on to front squats (sets of 5 with 15,25,35,40,40,45kg) and finished up with ring work (3x3 german hang, 5x5sec tucked back lever holds and lots of pull-up variations). 

Saturday I was supposed to ride my bike to work, but it didn't happen mostly because I slept very bad. I woke up in the middle of the night stressing out about stuff and couldn't get back to sleep. 

3. Morning routine; 

My plan was a bit too grand, I also had too many days with appointments in the morning, which meant I wasn't going to spend 40 minutes doing lots of chores. What has actually happened is making my bed every morning and getting dressed. For the next two weeks I want to add having breakfast + logging and then cleaning up the kitchen. 

• Like 2

Good job with the training log! I'm glad that it's being helpful for you, even if you're still getting the hang of it. I keep going back and forth with the idea of recording more stuff, but am so far falling on the side of not.

Re: the morning routine, it sounds like you did a good job of doing what you could. You can't help morning appointments throwing a wrench into things, but you kept with what you could, and have a plan to get back to more as soon as you can, and that's what matters most.

• Like 2

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Great job with the training log.

On the morning routine, yeah, appts are going to happen. I like the idea of keeping it super simple, that way it works even if other stuff is going on.

Woo for insights from actually examining your training habits/progress. Good luck with upgrading your morning routine. It's an impressive goal and I think you can rock it. (Says the girl who hits snooze 4-5 times every morning without fail...)

Raptron, alot assassin

Good job with the training log! I'm glad that it's being helpful for you, even if you're still getting the hang of it. I keep going back and forth with the idea of recording more stuff, but am so far falling on the side of not.

Re: the morning routine, it sounds like you did a good job of doing what you could. You can't help morning appointments throwing a wrench into things, but you kept with what you could, and have a plan to get back to more as soon as you can, and that's what matters most.

It's probably not necessary for everyone to keep a very detailed log, so just keep reviewing the thought and you'll find out if you need it or not! 

And thanks, you put that into a far more positive light.

Great job with the training log.

On the morning routine, yeah, appts are going to happen. I like the idea of keeping it super simple, that way it works even if other stuff is going on.

You're right about that, I do tend to want to over complicate things. And really just the simple stuff sort of gets you going doesn't it? 

Woo for insights from actually examining your training habits/progress. Good luck with upgrading your morning routine. It's an impressive goal and I think you can rock it. (Says the girl who hits snooze 4-5 times every morning without fail...)

Hitting snooze is also sort of a morning routine :D As long as you get up and get dressed after that you're good! 

The logging is starting to be fun. I thought I did a repeat of a training I did last month and made a small improvement by upping the weight, but I looked it up and turns out I also decreased the rest periods, so double win o/

Maybe in the future I can also analyze what I eat before training and see how that works... aahhh dreams of being organized.

• Like 1

2.7 (sunday)

logging: yes I did, just not at the right time.

morning routine: yes!

training: it was a varied day, first went for a brutal grip training (12kg kb snatches, 3 sets for each hand (so 6 total) of 2 minutes with 1 min rest in between). I failed my last set on my left hand, almost had a kettlebell flying across the gym. 

Then I did my handstand practice. I tried the split against the wall variation Nymeria told me about, it wasn't very successful yet mostly because I was scared out of my mind. Will work on that. Afterwards my boyfriend and I went for a 20km bike ride (yessss i'm actually working on that cardio). We got wet, but it was actually quite nice.

3.1 (monday)

logging; yes, again not at the right time.

morning routine: noooo..... I didn't set an alarm, I didn't get out of bed when I woke, I didnt shower+dress before noon. Big fail. I blame it being 'kings day' in the Netherlands.

training: only kettlebells, did the following snatch sets; 

1 min with 16kg, 1m rest

2 min with 12kg, 1m rest

3 min with 10kg, 1m rest

> first all on the right hand, rest 5 min and then repeat on the left hand.

Then I did the same sets but with double longcycle, 18, 14 and 12kg. Heart rate after last set was 168 :D

Random thought: after training sunday I was quite disappointed with how hard the snatch sets were. I'm often torn between thinking "well, I nailed the difficulty setting perfectly, got an excellent training" and thinking "if I can't do this easily yet then how the hell am I going to compete with 24kg at worlds this year?"

And then monday I have a great training and all goes well / better than expected. Psh.

• Like 2

Random thought: after training sunday I was quite disappointed with how hard the snatch sets were. I'm often torn between thinking "well, I nailed the difficulty setting perfectly, got an excellent training" and thinking "if I can't do this easily yet then how the hell am I going to compete with 24kg at worlds this year?"

And then monday I have a great training and all goes well / better than expected. Psh.

I think that's how it goes no matter what kind of training you're doing, I have the same thing with my running, and my pushups sometimes too. I think there are just so many factors that go into having a 'good' workout, there's no way to tell until it's done whether it's going to be a good day or a bad day. It'd be so much easier if we were just robots, then we could just progress in a predictable, linear way and be done with it...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge