Brekke Keeps Truckin'

Brekketechie

Not bad, not bad at all.

You getting excited about your race?

Yeah! I'm a little nervous sine I haven't been training super hard - an my friend hasn't been training at all. But, I think it will be fun. :)

• Like 1

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

STR 8 | DEX 7 | STA 10 | CON 7.5 | WIS 13 | CHA 12

Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
Battle Log

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

Day 16 mid-day update:

Y'all, I think there is a cosmic force of SUCK going around the world.

Srsly. I just CANNOT right now. Students second-guessing my decisions. People being jerks for no reason. People refusing to acknowledge some things are just more complicated than others.

I really want to crawl in a hole and sleep for a week. Instead I ate 5 cookies. *le sigh*

Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it...

tumblr_m50ip6czb41r7vut7o1_250.gif

• Like 2

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

Battle Log

There is a legit cosmic force of SUCK. I want to hug you and marathon cheesy Netflix shows together while drinking wine and cracking bad jokes... ♡

We will hang in there, one day at a time!

Mmmm Blue Ridge area... we drove up there last year and it it just. The pinnacle of lovely. Photos can't do it justice... beautiful mountainous nature. We visit Asheville NC often but it's so easy to be enamored with the city and forget to take a day to just get out and explore!

• Like 4

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

It is! Most people think Appalachia is just the Deep South, but it does extend up into parts of PA. I've never walked the Appalachian trail and use to want to. Now I think I'd rather take 3 months to walk the Camino de Compestella in Spain.

LOL... When I think of Appalachia it's Westernish PA, West Virginia, Western Virginia and TN/KY. I bet that where you're from impacts how you view the region because Appalachia starts in south west NY and goes down into northern MS/AL/GA. Its a pretty big region.

Food Log: so far so good. Coffee is undeniably a trigger. But I need a late afternoon caffeine pick-me-up. Any ideas?

Do you put anything into your coffee? Dairy is a very common trigger for gastro issues. You could also try drinking tea instead of coffee. You may also want to try increasing your water intake because being dehydrated can cause fake weight gain. When I'm not drinking enough I'll gain 3-5lbs. >.<

There is a legit cosmic force of SUCK. I want to hug you and marathon cheesy Netflix shows together while drinking wine and cracking bad jokes... ♡

I'll join you for the feel better marathon!!

• Like 2

Assassin

Battle Log | MFP: Amdhiel
Challenges: Current#7#6, #5, #4,
#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

Mmmm Blue Ridge area... we drove up there last year and it it just. The pinnacle of lovely. Photos can't do it justice... beautiful mountainous nature. We visit Asheville NC often but it's so easy to be enamored with the city and forget to take a day to just get out and explore!

Thanks friend. Oh man it's been a hectic week and it's only WEDNESDAY. All the Saints and all my ancestors better be praying for me...Srsly.

I'll join you for the feel better marathon!!

Yay! We should totes have a virtual feel better marathon. :love_heart:  

• Like 2

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

Battle Log

Day 17 mid-day update:

Workout: Yes indeed, friends. Got up and ran a (very slow) 2.44 miles in 30:32. I average around 12:30 if you don't count my warm up and cool down walks. I'm not looking to be faster, I just hate that I'm still having to slow to a walk about every 10 minutes or so. Aside from intervals (which I hate) any ideas for working on my heart & cardiovascular strength so that I can run for distance? Speed is less important than stamina for me right now.

Food Log: Yep, although I really haven't eaten all that much (Smoothie, fruit salad). Going to try and stay away from the processed snacks in the office. Definitely thinking something in either sugar or processed grains gives me tummy problems. 

Reading: Didn't even crack open my book last night. We're in not-quit-crises-but-definitely-panic mode at the office. It's a wee bit of an overreaction, but also there's just an inordinate amount of task to be accomplished. I'm updating over my lunch break - which I'm taking at my desk because Holy-Macaroni-And-Cheese there's a lot to do. If I can keep focused and really work solid for the next 4 hours, I hopefully will be able to leave work at work and go home and enjoy a quiet evening.

Onward rebels!

giphy.gif

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

Battle Log

Go for a hike. I found my strength built up really nicely and when I ran later, I could feel my legs being better equipped to carry me. Might work for you as well.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Day 18:

I'm still sick. I feel like there's a balloon in my stomach and I can't eat anything and I'm nauseous.  I couldn't work out because of the nausea which started LAST NIGHT at like 8pm and has persisted now for 10.5 hours. THIS SUCKS. I couldn't finish half my regular morning smoothie. But I'm hungry. But My stomach feels full. AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

THIS IS BOLLOCKS!

I'm so over feeling sick. I'm so over my stomach getting in the way of my life. I'm so over doctors who have NO CLUE what's making me ill and just want to treat the damn symptoms rather than help figure out what's making me sick.

RWWWAAARRRR.

tumblr_mpbaazvDXv1srvwxpo1_500.gif

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

Battle Log

Okay, so ranting is definitely in order!

Ah man, illnesses suck the bag! I swear, if not for illness, we would be so much happier with our bodies! We would love to take care of them, because they are strong enough to withstand the viruses and bacteria out there! Well, shit, that's not ever gonna be happening. O'm sorry you're so frustrated, Beck. I know it's tough, especially when answers are no where to be found and the docs don't try to find them after awhile. What do they lose money on us, if they try too hard? Damn.

Then comes the hard part, taking a step in the right direction for you.

What can you do that will make your day better or your sleep more restful? You are the boss. You are in charge. I wish I could say, build a bed sheet tent and just hunker down. I love doing that, but I doesn't really get me anywhere. What can yo do, while the docs fiddle with their....?

Warm hugs from me to you.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Ranting DEFINITELY in order. ;_____;

It really is the most frustrating thing in the world.  I wish I had advice or something that could help but all I've got are mega hugs...

tumblr_m3hlarY48b1qbcmiwo1_500.gif

Remember you are stronger than whatever tries to bring you down!!

• Like 2

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...

»  kom starkru

Day 19 mid-day update:

Workout: Indeed! But it was brutal getting myself motivated. Lots of emotional nonsense and over-work. But I did it. I know that if I had more intense workouts, I could improve faster. But honestly, I'm scared of hurting myself again. So, you know, slow and steady.

Alternate Body Weight Workout

3x 30 jumping jacks --> maxed 60 for last set

3x 10 push-ups -- > maxed 15 on last set; switched from burpees because my left ankle has been a bit dodgy and I am running a 5K Sunday.

3x 10 lunges (each leg) -- > makes 15 on last set; these still KILLED me

3x :10 plank --> maxed :15 for last set - maybe will add in :5 for each side next time?

Food Log: Yeah, sort of. Haven't really eaten much today - milky tea mostly. Having a broken stomach sucks. *grumbles*

Reading: okay so TODAY I am going to do some reading. And maybe watch movie. And I am going to WRITE because I need to keep plugging away on my novel revisions. 

jk-rowling-writing-script-for-fantastic-

I *still* have to do some work on my day off  *more grumbles*  but hopefully this will let me do some recharging before a long weekend. I may take a day off next week too. I am just feeling really burned out and run down. Like, my fuel tank is empty and I am burning through my reserve, finding only fumes.

Here's to slow and steady progress, even when we don't feel particularly motivated.

goonies.gif

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

Battle Log

Okay, so ranting is definitely in order!

Ah man, illnesses suck the bag! I swear, if not for illness, we would be so much happier with our bodies! We would love to take care of them, because they are strong enough to withstand the viruses and bacteria out there! Well, shit, that's not ever gonna be happening. O'm sorry you're so frustrated, Beck. I know it's tough, especially when answers are no where to be found and the docs don't try to find them after awhile. What do they lose money on us, if they try too hard? Damn.

Then comes the hard part, taking a step in the right direction for you.

What can you do that will make your day better or your sleep more restful? You are the boss. You are in charge. I wish I could say, build a bed sheet tent and just hunker down. I love doing that, but I doesn't really get me anywhere. What can yo do, while the docs fiddle with their....?

Warm hugs from me to you.

Thanks! I can forget my own agency and that it's okay for me to put up boundaries for my own health and well being. I like my job, so t's so easy to overwork. Such is the life of people in the care-giving professions...

Ranting DEFINITELY in order. ;_____;

It really is the most frustrating thing in the world.  I wish I had advice or something that could help but all I've got are mega hugs...

tumblr_m3hlarY48b1qbcmiwo1_500.gif

Remember you are stronger than whatever tries to bring you down!!

Thanks friend. Sometimes you got to let off the steam, otherwise you explode. 

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

Battle Log

It is completely understandable that you're feeling little motivation and energy. Your body doesn't have it right now! I don't know how your sleep is going, but no nutrient dense food is a real buzz-kill. I know you're done with this and I would be too. Chemo is similar in that, you can't get enough good stuff in you to counter the fact that poison is running through your body, killing cancer and fast growing healthy cells. It's beyond frustrating.

You must be sick of hearing things like this, but... I'm hoping you can find a way to be okay with where you are at right now. Do you pray, meditate, do quiet walks or something of that nature? And are the movies and TV you watch take you outside yourself enough to relax your mind from having to figure anything out for 2 hours? I'm hoping an answer is coming very soon.

B)

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Day 20:

Workout: no - race tomorrow But lots of walk and rearranging chairs, because that's what adults do for students on retreat.

Food Log - no - too busy today. But there have been some interesting revelations that I will highlight shortly.

Reading: Not a word, but I've been SLAMMED with responsibility today. Until this moment I have literally been "on duty" 14 hours. I might get a page or two in before bed. And... I might not. Whatever.

So I've had some medical revelations. My friend, Nat, has been having stomach problems as well. So we were comparing notes (as we make 85 grilled cheese sandwiches and 7 gallons of soup for students) about our symptoms. She and I have had startlingly similar stomach problems - hers have been plaguing her for nearly 2 years - and neither of us as a legitimate diagnosis. We both feel full without eating anything, have hyper painful distended/bloated stomaches - even when we advent eaten anything for hours. We have persistent naseua, weird bowl changes, a difficulty in digesting foods - particularly in it taking longer than average to digest food. We have inconsistent food triggers, exhaustion, and greenly undiagnosable abdominal pain. All brought on by nothing that we can discern. She goes to a holistic chiropractor who told her it is probably related to stress since many women experience stress in their gut - which could totally be true because we both have stressful jobs. But how does one deal with stress? Like job stress isn't going to go away, so how do you actively mediate it so that you don't feel like you're digesting glass on a regular basis?

Nat has some autoimmune problems anyway, so she's not surprised she's sick. But I DON'T. I don't have any reason why I'm struggling so hard. It's infuriating. But now, at least, there's one person who's in this with me. So there is that.

Also - I drove her home from the retreat, and she def nearly puked in my car. Thank God she made it to the curb. But yeah, it's been a wild day. Heh.

Okay, hitting the hay. Race tomorrow and it's been an exhausting day for me today. My goal is not to be the last person to cross the finish line. Fair enough for my first race, right?

3457890-daily-life-gifs-09-eyes-glass-ov

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

Battle Log

RACE DAY!!! good luck at not being last and yes, that's a great goal for your first race, I think. It would be mine for sure.

I meant to talk to K about the exclusionary diet and I have forgotten, sorry. Ii will ask her and ask her about her colitis. She has had it for years and it can easily be brought on by stress or foods or better yet the combination of food with high stress triggering a bout of it even if the food normally doesn't bother her. And it's really hard to get a diagnosis because it so different for everyone. Perhaps that has already been ruled out for both of you, but I would still be interested to see if handling it like colitis or crohn's would get you good symptom relief anyway.

Here's a link to the crohn's colitis foundation

Hope the race is fun and that it's good scenery to take in, including eye candy! 

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Day 21 Update:

Y'all I am TIRED. Mini update and I'll recap the week tomorrow.

Workout: 3.1miles, baby! I ran my first 5k! Okay so I was hella slow, but it was surprising rough terrain (vineyards a hilly with tall grass and gopher holes, who knew?) and I was running with my aforementioned friend who has been running once a week and calling that training so... yeah, I finished in 43 minutes. That is WAY slower than my normal pace, but there were 2 MASSIVE hills, and I walked nearly a mile of the course with my friend. And I am TERRIBLE at pacing. But you know what?

I RAN MY FIRST RACE, Y'ALL!

tumblr_n7hibvZtAu1rwfctbo1_500.gif

Food Log: nope, didn't even try today. And I ate an embarrassing amount of food. And drank an embarrassing amount of wine. Because, in celebration (it was a run at a winery) we had wine given to us at the race. Then we went for more wine. Then we had mimosas at lunch. Then we went and had another wine tasting with friends. Then we went for dinner (no wine for me there). It was a positively decadent day. I've blown my calorie goals AND my budget goals, but if you don't live a little then whats the point, right?

Reading: Going to try and get a chapter in before bed, but honestly, I'm knackered.

Altogether, I feel good. I'm still happy I did the race, and now I'm really interested in working on pacing to that I can run a consistent pace. I also want to hit more variations in terrain too. Maybe I'll sign up for another race in June!

tumblr_m5l5v9p0PO1rqhpqfo1_250.gif

• Like 2

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

Battle Log

AAHH YOU DID IT!!!!!  Huge congrats on running that 5k and all the hard work that went into getting ready!!!!!

tumblr_nn2i0o7fMi1t0u8w9o8_250.gif

You totally deserved a victory weeke,s congrats on indulging AND realizing that it's not the end of the world to have fun sometimes!!  So so proud of you and all that you've conquered, you are truly a warrior. <3

• Like 1

»  kom starkru

AAHH YOU DID IT!!!!!  Huge congrats on running that 5k and all the hard work that went into getting ready!!!!!

tumblr_nn2i0o7fMi1t0u8w9o8_250.gif

You totally deserved a victory weeke,s congrats on indulging AND realizing that it's not the end of the world to have fun sometimes!!  So so proud of you and all that you've conquered, you are truly a warrior. <3

Aw, thanks. I definitely indulged in the victory eating & drinking. WORTH IT. But now, back on the bandwagon. :)

• Like 1

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

Battle Log

Week 3 Review:

2/2 runs

2/2/workouts

5/7 days food logged

B- but an overall victory since I ran m first race. Now to really focus on the food logging.

giphy.gif

Day 22 recap:

Workout: nope - recovering for the race

Food Log: yep. I'm thinking sugar/simple carbs might be a trigger? Still unsure. Seeing a dietitian next week.

Reading: nope, accidentally napped form 6-8pm last night, so then I binged on Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. Worth it.

Day 23 mini update:

Workout: Yep!

Simple Body Weight Workout

3x 10 pushups  ---> all standard, maxing at 15 in the last set

3x 15 goblet squats with 10b weight  ---> maxing out on 3rd rep with 20

3x 10 leg lifts/reverse crunch -->  maxed out at 15 -  the last set were KILLER

3x 30 jumping jacks  ---> maxing out with 60 after my last circuit

Might add in another exercise into this routine - maybe graduate up to the Nerd Fitness Level 1 bodyweight Brigade workout. We'll see.

Food Log: Yep, but I have only had a smoothie, so that's been easy.

Reading: nope, but really want to dig in to a book tonight.

Alright, onward into the day...

tumblr_n806k510Xe1tub2mso1_500.gif

• Like 1

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

Battle Log

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You ran a race, you ran a race!

So awesome you are, ya?!

Very happy for you, girl. That's a lot of work: mental power and physical prowess. And you did it. So proud!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Day 24 update:

Workout: yep - a cool 2.5 miles in 30 minutes! Definite improvement!

Food Log: Will do. Am now tracking when stomach pains are onset. Sugar is a trigger. So, goal is to cut out all processed sugars over the next 3 weeks. Fruits seem okay, but it's the processed/baked stuff that definitely has an effect. Also, I think I'm mildly dehydrated since I have constant stomach pain and therefore don't drink or eat anything. Going to make a conscious effort to get 8 cups in each day. (plus extra when I work out!)

Reading: miserable. But I *have* been reading a bunch of internet articles on 10k and half-marathon training programs. Must focus on some India prep, and getting through a Neil Gaiman book before the end of May.

Feeling terrific! Now to shower, get my morning smoothie prepped and off to teach a high school class about world religion! Go Team!

YARLQOs.gif

• Like 1

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

Battle Log

Ooo, processed sugar... yeah, that's a big one for me, too!!  I can have very small doses in treats once in a while but too much and my stomach goes haywire.  I also can't eat a lot of fruit for the same reason... once in a while I can have some, but if it were a peach every day I'd be in trouble.

Sigh.  Solidarity, sister.

RUNNING GAINS YES?!?!  AWESOME.  :D

• Like 1

»  kom starkru

I almost forgot that I have pictures! I'm a real person! 

gallery_23585_1427_91995.png

gallery_23585_1427_100781.jpg

They're huge pictures - don't know how to shrink them, but there they are. I'm in the orange ;)

Woohoo real life!

• Like 2

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

Battle Log

I love it!!! Your smile in that last picture is so triumphant, YEAH!!! [emoji2] [emoji2]

• Like 1

»  kom starkru