Geronimo!

MikeD0227

Hello all!

I am new here and I would really like to do the 6 week challenge but I don't know where to start. I have a few goals I have already come up with but I'm not sure if they are too broad, and also I'm not sure how to format them to make them work for the challenge.

1. Start eating better.

2. Exercise regularly.

3. Consume less alcohol.

4. Get A's or B's in my classes this semester.

I know the last one isn't fitness related but it is very important to me.

If any of you could help me out it would me extremely appreciated!

post-38094-0-88932300-1428884555_thumb.p

Here's to my first 6 week challenge!

"No one is dumb who is curious. The people who don't ask questions remain clueless throughout their lives." Neil deGrasse Tyson

Hey, how's it going?

Looks like you've got goals, so now what you need is a plan. Like, what does "eating better" look like, and how are you going to get there? How often is regularly for exercise?

Don't know how geeky you like to be with your workouts, but some of these are fun and most don't require much in the way of equipment: http://darebee.com/workouts.html

• Like 1

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

I agree with stealth on narrowing your goals a bit to be more specific. "Eat better" is fairly broad. Are you going Paleo? Counting calories? Just wanting to cut junk out? Maybe something like: Cut candy consumption to 3 a week or eat at least two servings of vegetables a day, or something like that to start.

For exercise, pick a goal like stick to X program or workout 3 times a week.

Your goals are great, and you'll rock this!

• Like 1

I have looked at those workouts before, and thought they were pretty cool. As of right now I have been doing the NF body weight workout every other day.

I would like to go paleo but with my living conditions at the moment it would be almost impossible. However I am trying to eat a salad every day, eat at least one piece of fruit if not more, and only have grains once a day. I am trying to cut them out all together but one step at a time.

Does that work a little better, or still too broad?

Here's to my first 6 week challenge!

"No one is dumb who is curious. The people who don't ask questions remain clueless throughout their lives." Neil deGrasse Tyson

Don't know where to start?

Two things to know:

1) You're a level 1 rebel. Thread should be there since they talk about the basics.

2) Crash course on the basics (does not null/void #1, btw...): Make S.M.A.R.T. goals.  Specific, Measurable Attainable Realistic Trackable.

The more specific your goals are, then the easier it is to grade, aka, measure/track.  'Eat better' 'Workout more' or 'Cut back' does not help at all. The reason is because there is no BASE to judge that.  Here's an example:

Eat Better.  What's better?  Better for PersonA is eating sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes. PersonB is eating whole grain rice instead of white potatoes. PersonC isn't eating any potatoes or rice.  PersonD is eating a homecooked meal with mashed potatoes instead of McDonalds.

So..... which are you? What's your better?  There's no way to measure that without first having a specific goal.  Maybe 'eat 5+ 100% paleo meals per week'.  That's specific. You either ate 5 or you didn't.  Easy to track. Easy to know if you hit your goal.  Easy to see how much you need to improve to hit your target goal.

The same can be applied to exercise. "More" can be measured in intensity, frequency per week, or length per week.  You need a base.  If you walk for 30 minutes once a week and want 'more', then your goal should be *Walk 3 times for 30 minutes per week*

However, don't forget the last part of SMART= Realistic.  If you only walk once a week, then saying you'll walk 7 times a week is a huge leap. It's not attainable.  You'll tire out, lose motivation, and want to quit, then leading to feeling like a failure, and continuing a negative cycle.  We all want success here so DON'T overdo it.  You want life-long lasting habit changes.  This road of being the best person you can be isn't a sprint: it's a grueling marathon so prepare and pace yourself.  No point in running 500 feet and then passing out on the lawn.

• Like 1