Hat Trick of Challenges by Cathelas

Cathelas

Ok, so I posted in the last challenge's thread  - I guess I am sad it is over?  Here is the repost of my plan for this challenge:

This is my Third Challenge and I am psyched to be staying with it.  The first two did exactly what they were supposed to – built habits, put the pressure of accountability on me, and got some results.  Fun fact – getting sleep, eating healthier, and exercising five days a week makes a person feel better. Who knew?

Not to sound like too big of a jerk, because we all know it isn’t that easy, but NF is really working for me.  The community has been great, ESPECIALLY the Adventurers.  TEROS is a good leader for us, paving the way on this life challenge.  Having you all out there makes me work harder at every aspect of the program I make for myself.  Over the last two challenges, I have dropped 24 pounds (2 pants sizes), increased my cardio stamina, and have just started feeling better than I can remember in a decade.  Keeping with the realization don’t change what isn’t broken, I am only going to tweak the last SMART goals a bit, higher points for As, and add in some core exercises which will build on the current plan.

My Main Quest â€“ To ride a Century by November 2015 (This is the LONG term quest, along the way I will drop weight, eat more paleo, get more sleep, and other positive life changes).  I have gotten where 20 miles is no problem – 1/5 of the way there.  Now that the weather has changed, I will be able to make some serious progress this Spring!

My SMART goals for this challenge, as I mentioned above, are a minor enhancement on the last challenge:

• Comment on other people’s threads each week (This was a lot easier for me than I expected last challenge.  I guess I really like you guys J so I am upping the commitment) A -15+ comments, B – 11-14 comments, C – 8-11 comments, D – 5-8 comments, F<5 comments
  • Posting on my progress – I am finding this to be therapeutic A – 6+ times, B – 5 times, C – 4 times, D – 3 time, F- 2 or fewer
  • Eat Paleo meals (21 possible meals per week) I have found the key to this one is the Sunday cook up – getting as much food ready as possible to start the week.  Also, breakfast smoothie FTW!  A – 14+ meals, B – 10-13 meals, C – 7-9 meals, D – 4-6 meals, F<3 meals
  • No eating after diner (this one comes in waves) A – 6+ nights, B – 5/4 nights, C – 3/2nights , D – 1 night, F – zero nights
  • Get 7 hours of sleep or more each night (most proud of this during the last challenge) A -6+ nights, B – 4-5 nights, C – 2-3 nights, D -1 night, F – zero nights
  • Workout 5 times a week (Bike, Spin, Run, Body Weight Workout, whatever... just building habit of exercise again) A – 5+ times, B – 4 times, C – 3 times, D – 2 or 1 time, F- zero
  • Core exercises – two of them to keep me going
  • 50 Push Ups Each Day A – 6+ times, B – 5 times, C – 4 times, D – 3 time, F- 2 or fewer
  • 60 Sit Ups Each Day A – 6+ times, B – 5 times, C – 4 times, D – 3 time, F- 2 or fewer

The reward for all of this, I will be getting a new wardrobe.  The clothes are not fitting anymore, in a good way.

I started tracking my travel to Mordor last challenge.  Going by Spin Bike, real bike, and running I made it 274 miles, over half the way to Rivendell.  I got a FitBit so this challenge I will add in those steps as well.  I will get there a bit faster now.  Running days are SO much slower than bike days – duh!

I continue have the weight loss bar in my signature as well.  I dropped 24 pounds in two challenges, during the break week I put 3 back on.  No big deal.  I was floored to get so closed to 200 in just 12 weeks.  The mini-goal is still to be sub 200, which seems very achievable and might have to be re-evaluated early on.  The good news is, I am not stressed about the number.  The weight came off will little fuss, the clothes are too baggy, and I have no idea what the new magic weight number should be.  I will just keep at it and see where I end up.  I have not weighed this little in over a decade – I am just going to enjoy the ride! (Ok that is funny, since I am using a bike and spinning for most of my cardio)

Ok fellow Adventurers, let us take these next steps together!  Onward!

• Like 3

Cathelas the Level 3 Half-Orc

STR 10|DEX 6|CON 10|STA 11|WIS 8|CHA 7

My Challenges: 15-1 15-2 15-3

Tracking Goal, get weight below 200 pounds Starting (Jan 23, 2015): 226 Goal: 199  Exactly 3 months to hit goal weight April 23, 2015!

New Weight Loss Goal 180 pounds started April 23, 2015  Current Weight 179 - Made it on June 27!

100%
100%

Travel to Mordor by Spin, Road Bike, Running (starting Feb 23, 2015)         Made it to Mount Doom on July 11, 2015!  Now, I need to turn around and go home!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Rauros to Mount Doom 470 miles this leg for a total of 1779 miles 

100%
100%

Hola Rebels!

How do you start a strong challenge?  By getting a pork shoulder ready!  It is 6 pounds of protein to get me rolling for the week.  Easiest recipe in the world, and I love the way it comes out.

Rode the bike for about 8 1/2 miles, did more core exercises, and three paleo meals.  It is a good first day of the challenge.  And a glass of shiraz to celebrate.  I hope everybody else started on top as well!  

• Like 2

Tracking Goal, get weight below 200 pounds Starting (Jan 23, 2015): 226 Goal: 199  Exactly 3 months to hit goal weight April 23, 2015!

New Weight Loss Goal 180 pounds started April 23, 2015  Current Weight 179 - Made it on June 27!

100%
100%

Travel to Mordor by Spin, Road Bike, Running (starting Feb 23, 2015)         Made it to Mount Doom on July 11, 2015!  Now, I need to turn around and go home!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

100%
100%

ARGH!  My post didn't save.  And I was so articulate.  Let me try to recreate it-

Breakfast and dinner were both solid and Paleo, but a co-worker wanted to go out for Thai at lunch and I caved.  Sometimes, getting away from my desk and being social is a treat in itself, so I won't beat myself up about it.  Plus it was tasty.  To balance it out, and since I have ridden the bike 3 days in a row, I decided to run on the treadmill.  30 minutes at a decent clip, then a 5 minute cool down.  The treadmill punishes me so much more than the bike, takes forever to cool down.  But, it is worth it to see the look on peoples faces when I stroll out in these bad boys:

214675_md.jpg

So loud.  So green.  

I will definitely need to stretch tonight, legs are stiffening up.  I will break out The Stick to loosen up the muscles.  It is like magic.  Really painful magic.

I need to get to sleep a bit earlier tonight.  I cut it close last night.  Between all the new posts on NF and trying to catch up on iZombie I was dragging this morning.

More tomorrow!

• Like 1

100%
100%

100%
100%

Sometimes - at least in a web browser - you can recover a lost post by just giving the editor focus (if you had been typing long enough, the software will save your post-in-progress every once in a while. You'll see a note in the bottom left corner of the editor: "Last auto saved: ...", so you know it has been saving something for you. :)

Once the text area gets the focus (again, after you have lost your post (can reproduce by reloading the page ;) )), you'll see the note "View Auto Saved Content...". By clicking on it you open a layer where you can preview what has been saved by the browser and then decide if you want to restore it or not.

Also: Great job on the treadmilling! And those shoes look wicked! :D

Plus: iZombie! :wub:

I have only watched the pilot so far, but I liked it a lot (says someone who doesn't usually like anything zombie related except for Shaun of the Dead).

• Like 1

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Those shoes are awesome :) there is a guy that is usually leaving my bus station as I'm getting there in the morning and he has shoes almost the same as those. All I can see are his feet! Just sentient shoes walking towards me... At 4:30 in the morning that was freaky as hell haha :)

And oooh man! Treadmill as a punishment for eating something deliciously bad? That is brutal! And clever... It'll really make you think twice about if you really want to eat something :P

Good Wednesday Everyone!  I hope you are having a great challenge so far this week.  I put the bike in the car so I could ride after work and I made it happen.  11 1/2 miles before the sun went down.  It was a great way to burn off stress after a long day in the office.  I still am so happy to be out of the gym a few days a week.  Today was the first day my abs are feeling sore from the daily sit ups.  That made me happy too!  One set of 30 in the morning, one set after riding, keeping at it.  I hope I can increase the sets in a week or so.

New favorite snack - frozen grapes.  

100%
100%

100%
100%

Sometimes - at least in a web browser - you can recover a lost post by just staragain (if you had been typing long enough, the software will save your post-in-progress every once in a while. You'll see a note in the bottom left corner of the editor: "Last auto saved: ...", so you know it has been saving something for you. :)

Once the text area gets the focus (again, after you have lost your post (can reproduce by reloading the page ;) )), you'll see the note "View Auto Saved Content...". By clicking on it you open a layer where you can preview what has been saved by the browser and then decide if you want to restore it or not.

Also: Great job on the treadmilling! And those shoes look wicked! :D

Plus: iZombie! :wub:

I have only watched the pilot so far, but I liked it a lot (says someone who doesn't usually like anything zombie related except for Shaun of the Dead).

Thank you for the tech tip.  I will give it a try next time!

100%
100%

100%
100%

Three hours working outside today, so I will take a rest day from the cardio.  On my feet for hours, which is big change!  Back to the desk tomorrow - booooooo.

• Like 2

100%
100%

100%
100%

I do not envy you the desk job. I can't handle them at all, hell I can't stand sitting at my own desk for more than an hour before I'm physically uncomfortable. :P

I kind of love that though :) less time spent derping online and more time spent doing things!

What were you doing outside for so long today? yard work? epic walk?

• Like 1

I do not envy you the desk job. I can't handle them at all, hell I can't stand sitting at my own desk for more than an hour before I'm physically uncomfortable. :tongue:

I kind of love that though :) less time spent derping online and more time spent doing things!

What were you doing outside for so long today? yard work? epic walk?

Outside to do some manual labor around the office building.  "Helping out."  At least it was not too sunny, I didn't bring any sunscreen!

100%
100%

100%
100%

Fantastic Friday!

Today was another good day.  Paleo all meals (lunch was a struggle).  Made plans with a co-worker to go on a bike ride Saturday, the only downside is he lives 80 miles away.  But the weather is supposed to be good, pushing 80.  Worked far too many hours behind the desk again, but I managed to get home and get on the bike before the sun went down.  9 1/2 miles smiling all the way.  Which had the unintended issue of bugs flying into my mouth.  Apparently at dusk, every bug in Illinois likes to be out and flying at mouth level.  So gross.  Can't complain, I was happy to be doing some cardio after the rest day and I am really looking forward to tomorrow.

According to my Mordor quest, today was a "Bright, fair day. Strider briefly sees the Loudwater/Bruinen in the distance."  I am about 70 miles from Rivendell.  Which is awesome.  Then I have to reconfigure the stats for Lothlorien and the blue progress bar will be much shorter.  Sad progress bar.  But for now - ONWARD!

• Like 1

100%
100%

100%
100%

Weekend wrap up!  I didn't get to update yesterday, because I did the road trip to my buddy's house.  We had a great 16 mile ride.  It was nice to see some different sights for a change.  Of course, my bike started making noise right away.  The ride was great but I was stressed about my bike all afternoon.  When I got home I started scouring the internet and realized the bearings in my pedals are messed up after only 200 miles.  I went to the local bike shop today and the pedal must have been defective or something, it had metal shards coming out of it.  Sooooo.  I dropped money on new pedals today, which I didn't really want to do, but dealing with warranty and return on for amazon purchase will probably take a week or two and I didn't want to be without bike.  Argh.  tough choices.

So dealing with all that and the pouring rain today I did not get a workout in. But I did do my crunches and push-ups so I am happy about the overall weekend.

Getting ready to cook Chicken Legs for the first time.  It is supposed to be a good recipe but more steps than I really want to deal with.  I will try for no short cuts.

I will keep you posted!

100%
100%

100%
100%

Weekly Round Up, Week #1

Overall I cannot complain about the week, I did well on all the smart goals, but I didn’t post as much as I wanted to.   Especially on the mini. I did ok with it, but want to do more during week 2.  Here are the overall stats:

·         Comment on other people’s threads each week A -25 comments

·         Posting on my progress A – 6 times

·         Eat Paleo meals (21 possible meals per week) A – 18 meals

·         No eating after diner A – 7 nights

·         Get 7 hours of sleep or more each night A - 6 nights (I almost made 7 but Sunday night was a lot of not sleeping)

·         Workout 5 times a week A – 5 times

Core exercises – two of them to keep me going

·         50 Push Ups Each Day A – 7 times I actually changed this to 60 after the first day

·         60 Sit Ups Each Day A – 7 times

So, for the first time in my life, I got straight As and am not super jazzed about it.  I guess the social aspect of NF means more to me than I knew.  And I dropped a couple more pounds this week - so that is good :pirate: I will work harder this week!

• Like 3

100%
100%

100%
100%

New favorite snack - frozen grapes.  

(*chops up banana, puts in freezer, takes out and realizes it's the same texture as ice cream*)

I guess the social aspect of NF means more to me than I knew.

Underestimating NF?

19fwzw476fytpjpg.jpg

Keep rocking.  Also-  cool shoes.

I have watched 5 episodes of The Flash in 2 days.  Man it is fun.

Really windy outside today, so I did the spin bike again.  Staring out the window.  Waiting for a calm day again.  Maybe tomorrow.  20 miles from Rivendell... so close!

I started prepping some slow cooker ribs tonight.  Got the meat ready, sauce, I will throw it into the crock pot in the morning before work and then dinner will be awesome!  I hope... I haven't done this recipe before.

• Like 1

100%
100%

100%
100%

Today started strong and finished pretty well too!  First off, morning weigh in was 200 even - I could not believe it.  I stepped off and double checked myself.  Work was good (well, as good as work can be).  Then, to end the day I went for a bike ride.  It was fairly windy - but I pushed myself.  The wind is only bad one way, the other way it is great  :pirate:  I wanted to go for an hour, but the course I picked is only 5 miles straight out, so I had to make a turn around point in the middle at 30 minutes.  That is where the push starts.  I want an hour, and my mid point is exactly 30... when the legs were fresh... oh boy.  So I went for it.  Gunning as hard as I could for even the most minor decline to pick up speed.  Focused on breathing, concentrate on pedal strokes, knowing the finish will be uphill for about a 1/4 mile.  GO GO GO I freaking did it!  16 seconds to spare.  I was smiling ear to ear as I was gasping for breath.  Oh it felt so good.  Threw the bike in the car and headed home, knowing the ribs would be waiting for me.  

I open the door, smells terrific!  Yep, that recipe is a keeper.  To balance it out, I have started keeping a stock of baked sweet potatoes on hand.  3 short ribs and one sweet potato, put a fork in me I'm done!

Almost caught up on The Flash.  Only 3 behind now.  Of course, I am like 8 behind on Arrow.  And the last 2 from last season of Orphan Black... there are not enough TV hours in my day.

Now the anticipation begins, tomorrow's weigh in... will I be sub-200 for the first time in forever?  If not, there is always Friday.  But I am very curious!  I will probably throw the bike in the car tomorrow too, so I can head out straight from work.  Scenery makes the rides much more fun.  And tomorrow, I hit Rivendell for sure.  The elves have met us and taken Frodo ahead.  The rest of the party follows on foot (or road bike).

• Like 2

100%
100%

100%
100%

Well, today was the day.  Mr. Scale ready 199.  I thought I would fall over from shock!  So I started very happy.  Ate well all day.  Decided today would be a rest day from exercise, allergies attacking me a bit.  I think it was the ride yesterday, super windy, trees in bloom, I sucked in too much pollen.  I should be ok tomorrow.  Extra fluids today to get my system cleared out.  The FitBit still gave me enough mileage to make it to Rivendell, so I have added a new bar for Lothlorien.  I will take a couple days to think about the weight bar.  Three months, 27 pounds.  So psyched.  I think 190 will be the next goal.  Damn. Hard to believe it is real. Thanks Rebels!

PS Ribs taste great second day too  :pirate:

• Like 1

100%
100%

100%
100%

Wind was better today, so I rode for 16 miles.  It felt really good, the rest day paid off.  I had more energy and I was able to really enjoy the ride.  The best part of the day (still has me smiling), after the ride I popped into the grocery store to pick up some spinach and a chicken breast to grill for dinner.  The Brussels sprouts looked good so I put them in my cart.  And what the heck, let me try adding kale to my morning smoothie.  So, 3 greens and a chicken breast as I am checking out. The woman behind me in line says, "I should be eating at your house!  All I have is soda and pop tarts."  I turned around smiling, her cart was full of nothing but processed packaged foods and SODA POP, lots and lots of soda.  I kept smiling and said, "Well, it is an acquired taste to eat this.  It took me a while."  Pretty awesome feedback when strangers compliment you on your food choices.

So as a treat tonight, I took Teros' advice, FROZEN BANANA.  

I will fix my signature bars tomorrow. Just trying to figure out the next weight number.  This is the best problem I have ever had.  :pirate:

• Like 1

100%
100%

100%
100%