Don the Barbarian's Reattempting his Trials of Self-Control

Don the Barbarian's Reattempting his Trials of Self-Control

I didn't complete the last challenge. I had some personal issues that distracted me from fully committing to the challenge. I've been able to get my head back into the game, so I'm going to try this once again. I am going to change the first challenge since going to the gym doesn’t seem to be a problem for me, even when the rest of my life looks to be falling apart. So that isn’t a worthy enough challenge for me, so that one is being changed. The other 2, I will attempt again. This time will be better.

Goal #1 – Complete the 200 Sit ups (crunches) program.

A = Finish 6 weeks of workouts

B = Finish 5 weeks of workouts

C = Finish 4 weeks of workouts

F = Finish 3 weeks or less of workouts

Reward: A = +2 CON   B = +2 CON   C = +1 CON

A = +3 STA   B = +2 STA    C = +1 STA

Motivation: I noticed during my kung fu class that my core strength is seriously lacking. Every class we do 2 sets of 25 sit ups, and I am not do all of them. So I am going to work on improving my core strength so that I can do all the sit ups. The 200 sit up program is actually crunches and not sit ups, but that is the way the program is designed. I think that this will be good, so that I am able to train a different movement and not impact the sit ups in class.

Goal #2 -

Do yoga at least 1 day a week using the wife's yoga videos.

A = 5 days or more

B = 4 days

C = 3 days

F = 2 days or less

Reward: A = +3 STR   B = +2 STR    C = +1 STR

A = +2 DEX    B = +2 DEX   C = +1 DEX

Motivation: I want to improve my flexibility. I have noticed that my range of motion in my joints isn't what they use to be. So this is the start of me to make it better than it is now.

Goals #3 - Not drink soda during this challenge.

A = 25 days or more

B = 20 days or more

C = 15 days or more

F = 14 days or less

Reward: A = +3 WIS   B = +2 WIS   C = +1 WIS

A = +2 CHA   B = +2 CHA   C = +1 CHA

Motivation: In a previous challenge I logged what I ate or drank, and I noticed that I drank a lot of soda. So I want to cut that out. I think that will help me feel better and help me lose weight.

I liked the idea of the boss fight that Steve wrote about in his last post. So I am going to try and think of a “boss fight†that I can do for this challenge. I am not sure what that will be at this time, but I reserve the right to add it in the next week or two.

• Like 2

"Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content."

- Conan the Cimmerian in the story Queen of the Black Coast

Like the challenge goals you've set for yourself.  A good core is required for good Kung Fu!  The yoga should help as well.   What kind of Kung Fu do you practice?  I currently study Northern Shaolin but will be moving into a new system in a few months when I changed cities (no Northern Shaolin in my future town)

Level 5 Shapeshifter Monk

STR 10.75   :   DEX 7.5  :   STA 8.5   :   CON 5   :   WIS 7.5   :   CHA 7

Challenge: I am an Avenger

Past: 1st, Draugr, Super-hero, Rocky

A soon-to-be married Kung Fu enthusiast  

Like the challenge goals you've set for yourself.  A good core is required for good Kung Fu!  The yoga should help as well.   What kind of Kung Fu do you practice?  I currently study Northern Shaolin but will be moving into a new system in a few months when I changed cities (no Northern Shaolin in my future town)

I am currently studying Shaolin Longfist which I just started again a few months ago. Because I moved around before I studied many different styles myself. I have studied Longfist Kungfu, America Kenpo Karate, Aikido, and now back to Longfist. I am back in the area that I started with before, but with a different instructor this time. But the interesting thing about the 2 teachers I have had for my Longfist training is that they both studied under the same instructor as well. So their forms are pretty similar, and that is making it easier to get back up to speed with my forms. I am 15 years older than when I started the first time, so right now my stances aren't as deep as they once were and my conditioning isn't the same. But I am working on it.

I think that actually participating in different styles has taught me and has influenced my style of fighting. From each, I can say that I have learned something that I have brought and blended into the next art. The problem with moving for me was that I didn't earn my blackbelt in any style. I've been studying for close to 15 years now, and once again I am starting over. 

What are you planning to study after you move? 

• Like 1

"Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content."

It must be frustrating having done so many styles but never to the point of getting the black belt or sash.  But hey, at least you have a good knowledge base and muscle memory to work off on.

I am uncertain what style to train when I move.  My instructor looked into and recommends one of two schools: Jook Lum or Hung Gar.  I enjoy both but they are very different from each other so it is kind of like comparing apples and oranges.  I like the uniqueness of the Jook Lum and the school is well known for training good fighters. The classes also seem to be (according to my research) more informal, which is like what I am doing now.  The Hung Gar is taught at a more traditional Kung Fu school and I do love the "sexy" Kung Fu-like movements.  I am not certain how much application work they do.  I go back and forth

It is a little frustrating, but once I start training with someone or talk with them I realize how much I really do know. I just don't have the sash to prove it to other people.

I am very old school that it is all about being able to apply what you are learning. And that doesn't mean that you have to spar every class, but you have to put everything you learn in context to how it would be applied in situations. I am 15 years old then when I started and I can't recover from those classes like I use to be able to do. Through my journeys, I have been at both kinds of schools and i liked them for different reasons. It depends on what context you want to work in an what school fits for you. For me, I don't want to train MMA style all the time. I like to work out and feel better doing that, but I think it as limited to 1 on 1 fighting. And for me, being older, I don't see myself getting into that kind of situation. I'm more of a self protection person. I am not going to get into a fight with someone at a bar (for the most part).Something more on the street and possibly more than 1 person is where I see myself.

And whatever school you decide on, try it and see if you like it. You don't have the years invested yet, so try a school for a while and if you don't like it change. I have done that a few time and it wasn't that the school was bad, it just didn't fit me and my body. It is all right to change, I think, before you decide to spend years dedicated to learn what they are teaching. You might find that the style doesn't fit you. I would never do TKD because I can't jump a lot and do high kicks. I am a big guy built to fight close in and grapple if need be. So the style might not agree with your build. I don't think a little experimenting is a bad thing. And being in the art is different that just seeing it on youtube.

Just my opinions.

• Like 1

Oh I fully plan on trying out a class or two at both schools (if they will allow it, if they don't that is a red flag in my mind).  And yeah, I too love knowing the applications of the movements.  That being said I haven't truly sparred in current class; we usually do some back-and-forth application drills.  I'd be worried doing a sparring session that I would get a black eye or something and then have to appear in court the next day or meet with a prospective client.  

And yeah, people that know martial arts typically care more about how you handle yourself than what sash/belt you've gotten.  I'd much rather see a guy who only got the beginning stuff of a style, but has it mastered, than someone with a high belt from a blackbelt factory

Here is my summary of the challenge.

Goal #1 – I completed 6 weeks of workouts. However, I didn’t reach the 200 crunches, so I am going to do it again to make the 200 crunches. So this challenge, I earned an “A†so that means +2 CON and +3 STA.

Goal #2 – For this goal I did 4 workouts, so that means I earned a “Bâ€. So that means I earned +2 STR and +2 DEX. I did notice my flexibility has improved and how “yoga weak†I am. There were positions that I had trouble holding for a while. So that just tells me that I am strong lifting things, but not in body weight. So I want to improve that next.

Goal #3 – I didn’t drink soda for 22 days, so that gives me a “Bâ€. So that gives me +2 WIS and +2 CHA.

Now that I have finished my second challenge I believe that I reached Level 3. Here are my stats as I understand them.

Level 3

STR +5 | STA +5 | CON +5 | DEX +4 | WIS +4 | CHA +4

Now I have to start thinking about the next challenge.