Plitog's second challenge

Plitog

Main Quest:  My last health screen showed my blood pressure was quite a bit higher compared to previous years.  It could have been because I was sick, but I decided to switch to a low-sodium diet. I also want to increase my daily activity above just walking (or pushing the lawn mower now that the weeds are growing like, well, weeds.)  Basically, just trying to improve my health before anything serious can go wrong.

Quest 1:  Beginner Bodyweight Workout.  For the last challenge I went with the Angry Birds Workout. I figure for this challenge I'll try something different.

• A - 12 workouts (twice per week)
  • B - 10 workouts
  • C - 8 workouts

Quest 2:  Stretching.  I have a 20 minute DVD that I occasionally use. I'm going to try to be more consistent.  Twice a week should be do-able.

• A - 12 workouts
  • B - 10 workouts
  • C - 8 workouts

Quest 3:  Handstands.  I've been working on wall handstands occasionally, but again not as frequently as I should. 5 mintues per day should be easy, right? I guess I'm about to find out.

• A - 7 days per week
  • B - 6 days per week
  • C - 5 days per week

Life Quest: In recent months I've downloaded a number of software development books and articles, all in PDF format. Everything has been uploaded to Google Books so I can read at work or at home on my tablet.  For various reasons, however, I've read very few of them.  I am setting the page count for the goal a bit lower than I would like, mainly because tech info can be dry, require further reading, or need some time spent writing code.

• A - 40 pages per week
  • B - 30 pages per week
  • C - 20 pages per week
  • Like 2

Very old battle log
Previous Challenges: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
Previous Mini Challenges: 2, 1

Assassin: Extremely competitive, tends to bust out bodyweight exercises when faced with waiting in hiding, and loves a good team vs team faceoff.  - Alexandrite

Hey, My friend. I finally found your challenge. Your goals look good. And you can still adjust them, if you read more or anything... ;)

Have a great first week!

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Thanks.  I kept meaning to post my challenge earlier, but never got around to it.  Then when I tried submitting it the first time, our internet connection died on us, so I lost everything I'd written.  The rewrite is a bit shorter than the original because I was too tired to bother.  Probably easier to read that way :)

Yeah, I haven't decided what I should do if I read extra in a week.  I may track it, but won't count it toward the challenge total.  So reading 240 pages this week wouldn't complete the entire quest for me, though it is tempting :)

• Like 1

Very old battle log

Assassin: Extremely competitive, tends to bust out bodyweight exercises when faced with waiting in hiding, and loves a good team vs team faceoff.  - Alexandrite

Week 1 results:

Quest 1: BBWW - I started this on Monday with two complete circuits. I should have finished the second attempt on Wednesday, because the Assassins challenge took off at that point.  By the time I finally ran through the exercise this evening, I only managed one complete circuit.  I hadn't planned on 320 lunges in one morning.

Quest 2: Stretching - Yoga twice this week was fairly easy to accomplish.

Quest 3: Handstands - 5 minutes per day wasn't too bad other than a little soreness in my wrists.  I'm still on wall handstands, but yesterday manages a couple partial pushups maybe 16 inches from the wall.  I definitely wasn't expecting that.

Life Quest:  Reading - I managed 60 pages early in the week and then didn't read any further.

Joust - The first week of the Assassin's challenge was walking and lunges.  Walking wasn't too bad but the lunges were rough.  I managed 650 lunges across five days, and 320 were from this morning.  Several on the team had over 1000 and one was at 2520 so I probably won't be in as much pain as some of the others :)

• Like 2

Very old battle log

I find 320 lunges still much. I'm doing 60 per workout at the moment. I don't really like lunges.

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

I find 320 lunges still much. I'm doing 60 per workout at the moment. I don't really like lunges.

I can't say I like lunges but for me they are easier than squats.  And the 320 was spread out over maybe 3 hours so it wasn't too bad.

• Like 1

Very old battle log

Yeah, I'm following the Beginner's Guide To Handstands.  I am maybe 18" from the wall.  I haven't timed myself, but I'm probably not to 60 seconds yet.  It is getting easier to get into and out of and I've tried a couple partial pushups, so I am making slow progress.

Very old battle log

Yeah, I'm following the Beginner's Guide To Handstands.  I am maybe 18" from the wall.  I haven't timed myself, but I'm probably not to 60 seconds yet.  It is getting easier to get into and out of and I've tried a couple partial pushups, so I am making slow progress.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to try that one in the future.

Daryl of Barbaria - Ranger / Footpad

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

Week 2 results:

Quest 1: BBWW - Only managed one set. This workout seems a little boring to keep up with, and I got far more squats than I expected as part of the mini challenge.  I definitely won't be using this one in future challenges.

Quest 2: Yoga - Two times. Check.

Quest 3: Handstands - I made it 6 out of 7 days.  Since I was only getting 30 seconds per wall handstand, I am going to start back with wall planks and shoot for a minute at a time. I will still do a few wall handstands just to keep working on my shoulders and wrists.

Life Quest: Managed 40 pages of reading by late Sunday night.

The Hunt: The second week of the Assassin's challenge was rather rough. My legs are still a little sore. Fortunately this week's challenge is yoga (with jumping jacks) so hopefully I won't be able to overdo it :)

Situps - 430  (8 rabbits)

Squats - 695  (5 short of 7 boars)

Burpees - 600  (2 bears)

• Like 2

Very old battle log

Looks like you are continuing to make progress and are aware of what your body is telling you about when to push and when to relax for a bit. Don't be afraid to augment your workouts to suit you throughout the challenge. If that BBWW isn't doing it for you, modify (or replace) it so that it is.  :orange:

• Like 1

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

Week 3 - I basically took the week off.  No yoga or BBWW.  Handstands four days.  25 pages read.  We did manage a fair amount of yard work over the weekend, and spent some time at the park since it was nice.  Oh, and can't forget watching Age of Ultron which was fun :)

After the rest, this week looks to be a lot more productive.

• Like 1

Very old battle log

No worries. The occasional off week happens, and is often enough necessary to get the most out of the following weeks.

The yard work and park sounds like my weekend. And Age of Ultron, well, hopefully next weekend. Those handstands must be coming along nicely.  :orange:

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

Week 4 - Only one yoga session, no BBWW (which I don't have any interest in at the moment) and maybe 20 pages read.  I did work on handstands every day this week, and with my hands maybe two feet from the wall, have started working on shifting my weight enough to lift one hand off the ground for 1-2 seconds.  The 600 army crawls for this week's mini challenge has left red marks on my arms, so I'm glad the week is over.

• Like 1

Very old battle log

Week 4 - Only one yoga session, no BBWW (which I don't have any interest in at the moment) and maybe 20 pages read.  I did work on handstands every day this week, and with my hands maybe two feet from the wall, have started working on shifting my weight enough to lift one hand off the ground for 1-2 seconds.  The 600 army crawls for this week's mini challenge has left red marks on my arms, so I'm glad the week is over.

Ouch, army crawls are rough. Sounds like a hell of a lot of work this week. I'd say you are covered for not doing the BBWW with all the army crawls and handstands.

• Like 1

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

Week 5 - Handstand training is still going ok. I'm still using the wall, but I'm getting better at shifting my weight enough to get one hand off the floor briefly.  Last night I decided to practice in a hallway. This let me walk up one wall then move my feet to the opposite wall.  I was trying to get used to being completely vertical without working on kicking up just yet.  The mini challenge last week was wall sits, which provided a nice break from the usual.  This week is planks and push-ups which I suspect will keep me entertained.

• Like 1

Very old battle log

Week 6 - Most of my effort was focused on the 6000 total seconds of planks I racked up for this week's mini challenge.  The challenge also involved push-ups (I managed 130), plus jumping jacks and wall sits for bonus points.  The downside is the challenges got in the way of any other workouts I might have planned. On the upside, I put far more effort into it to help the team than I otherwise would have done on my own.  Also, it was far more enjoyable than a normal workout.

My son was also interested in "helping the team" and did many of the exercises with me.  In fact, he now has his own section of the whiteboard where he can mark off each day's exercises.

For the next 6WC, I'm probably going to leave the workouts more vague.  I want to look at some simple parkour conditioning moves, but expect to spend a significant portion of my time on any mini challenges that are available.

Very old battle log