• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Blaidd

Campus Tours

Hello Everybody 

I'm new to fitness in general, I am trying to improve my overall health by eating healthier, avoiding chocolate chip cookies, and working out. So, my SMART goals for the six week challenge:

Exercises at least 3 times a week, learn and use free weights

Eat vegetables at least 2 times a day

My "off" days I will do at least 5 minutes of high intensity cardio

My ultimate goal or quest for now is to be able to do 20 push ups (real ones), 5 pull ups, with perfect form, and run 3 miles .

Get my BMI to 23%, currently is about 26%. you know i want to be stronger, and more flexible.

If you have any comments or any suggestion with my SMART goals let me know

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable? 
    it is, most of it is, small changes that will help me get to my ultimate goal

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on? 
    Yes, each one will aid in a small way, no sub quests for now

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?
    yes, they are, I made them small enough to make them into habits

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them? 
    yes, every goal can be easily tracked 

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?
    Pass and fail, with rewards at the end of every 2 weeks. 

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?
    well, I hope i don't get injured, but if it happens I'll adjust my workouts

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?
    Nope, but I hope after 6 weeks these mini goals become habits able to stand the test of time.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?
    No, is like they complement each other

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?
    yes, now I just need the willpower, to actually workout

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest?
    I am building multiple habits that will lead to my ultimate goal.

Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable?

It will be very difficult, but I think it is reasonable and builds on habits I had already started during my last term at university. The most difficult will be the amount of time I need to study, but I don't really have a choice in that if I want to do well in my finals.

Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?

Indirectly they all build toward my goal. If I want to do well in my studies then I have to look after myself physically, which 2 of my quests are aiming for while the other is a pure study time goal. Each quest is just 1 thing to focus on.

Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?

I already thought about this when deciding what to set for my diet goal. As I haven't been able to keep perfectly on track with a 500kcal deficit lately, aiming for any deficit is better than what I am doing now. It will be very hard also for me to focus on working for 8 hours a day but hopefully breaking it down into smaller chunks of work as I had planned will help.

Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them?

A points system based on a did I complete my goal or not, detailed in my thread. Should be easy enough! :)

How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?

I reward on the effort not the result to hopefully encourage the habits for the long term

What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?

Honestly I am not sure, but I can always count a week out if I become particularly ill. For me this is a case of crossing that bridge if I come to it.

Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?

No special occasions within the next 6 weeks that I need to worry about.

Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?

Studying will make it hard to keep up my calorie deficit, but hopefully by leaving the house to study and making my own lunch it will stop me from eating as there won't be anything else available.

Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?

Diet is just a matter of planning - I have Sunday evenings to order my weekly shopping and have a few hours in the evening to prepare a packed lunch. Studying will take place over 3 daily sessions of 5:30-8:30, 10-1 and 2-4. Running will be between 4-5pm on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest?

I am strengthening three weak habits right now - I already do them, but not very consistently.  I'd be lying if I  said this challenge won't be difficult, but I am feeling up for it and this is a great time to really kick things up a gear!

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable?    I forgot to post my overall quest, which is to lose weight.  I haven't figured out an exact amount I want to reach yet (I'm sorta saving that for when I feel better).  When I do get it figured out, I'll update my main topic.

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?     I decided to make my quests a little more simple this time.  I think just having these three main things to focus on will get me moving in the right direction. 

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?     They're pretty realistic, I think.  I'm not going strict paleo, but I should be able to manage two meals a day.  I should be drinking at least two liters of water a day anyway, so starting out with one is reasonable.  The five minutes of walking a day should also be realistic, and again, I should be doing that anyway.

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them?     Tracking on my phone.

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?     I'm grading myself on a daily 'pass/fail' with an overall weekly grade. If I pass with a 'B', I'll consider this a successful challenge.  I don't have any rewards planned.  I'm just kinda hoping I feel better and can do more activity without getting winded.

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?     Well, as I mentioned in my initial post, I'm already in recovery.  That's kinda why my challenge is so small this time.  I really don't think I'm capable of doing anything else at this point with my lungs in such bad shape.  I'm really hoping at the end of this challenge, I'll be in maintenance phase and be able to increase my goals for the next challenge.

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?     I am going on vacation in a few weeks, but it's just for a long weekend.  I'm pretty sure I can still manage two paleo meals a day in Vegas. :pirate:

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?     Don't think so.

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?     The only thing I'm concerned about is getting my water down.  When I get distracted, that's usually the first thing to go.  I should be able to get five minutes out of my day for walking, anyway.

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest?     I'm trying to build multiple habits to help me on the road to my main quest.  I also think eating more whole foods will help with my condition.

Ooookay! I'm ready, time to start my first challenge!

Here are some questions to put your goals to the test:

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable? - yes, short and long (initial activity followed by maintain phase), yes.

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on? - yes, they build on one another, one piece at a time. 

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them? - definitely realistic, they can be scaled

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them? yes - metrics, quantitative.

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€? goal specific measurements, pass/fail, letter grade; daily, weekly tracking; pro rated reward system - mini goals accomplished = small reward, big goals = bigger reward;  all goals = huge reward.  

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured? in the event of illness or injury, alternate activities can be substituted, but continuation and grading would be the same.

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those? yes - I have a planned vacation and additional activities planned - they are accounted for during planning.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another? no - they are cohesive, they were picked to straighten and support each other as activities and goals.

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them? both, I currently have the time and some time to get the goals underway before I start on new life challenges which might rock the plan.

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest? All energy is toward the main quest - all 3 goals support the main quest.

Good job everyone!  Hope you're having a good first week. 

Ding ding!

My precious +1WIS!

Do we just allocate these at the end of the challenge?

that's right.  Just keep a tally somewhere. 

Mine as well :)

I'm not sure about putting the success or fail bar at about 75%, but I went with it anyway, not because I would beat myself up about life happening, because it always ALWAYS eventually does, but I am aiming to overcome that threashold that is the getting up part of getting up and going out (or staying in) and doing something. Logically if this were a gain a certain increase in strength in x time there is a different approach: any gain in strength is a win, and even 50% of the target would be "good enough" and hence (just barely) not failed. But I'm not doing that yet, I'm aiming to change brain patterns, I'm trying to make habits, reinforcing old patterns I want to override erodes success.

So in an attempt to balance "fairness" with "longterm success" I went with the 75% = is success.

Anyway. Yay WIS+1

Morag

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable? Yes, over a long period of time. 80lbs won't fall off in 1 challenge. Maybe not even in 10, but it will fall off.

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on? I think they are small steps that will help the overall goal.

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them? Since my main goal is long term, I could break it down per challenge, but I think it is focused as is.

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them? Definitely able to be tracked. I will use my UP24 app to count steps, and track food/water.

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€? I will be grading the goals. Each mini goal is worth some of the attribute points at the end.

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured? I really hope I don't get ill or injured but if so, I will grade myself accordingly.

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those? I did consider  a birthday celebration coming up the end of this month. By allowing some wiggle room I won't feel so left out of the party.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another? I do not think so.

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them? Yes.

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest? Multiple habits! Back to paleo, hydration and movement.

Yay for completing!