Hoxton learns the way of the Iron Fist

hoxton

Hi everyone, for this challenge I have decided to become assassin, woot!

This is my third challenge and i'm super stoked to get started learning some new skills.

Goal 1: The way of the Iron Fist!

After every work out this challenge I am going to finish off with a round of Dirty Rice training. This is yo help re-hab an injured wrist and balance out the different muscles.

I'm going to do 3 levels of difficulty which I will work towards.

Level 1: 20 sec Exercise + 15 Sec rest

Level 2: 30 sec / 10 Sec

Level 3: 45 sec 5 sec 

Goal 2: Learning the Parallel Bars

I'm going to make myself some paralettes and get learning. I'm going to alternate this workout with bodyweight squats.

The program I am using has different levels of difficulty so I will monitor my progress through that.

Goal 3: Becoming an early riser

In order to give myself more time I am going to wake up one hour earlier than I do usually and use that hour to stretch/work out. This means setting the alarm for 6:30.

However I know from experience that getting up earlier that you are used to can be difficult so i'm going to eat myself into it.

This week I will get up at 7:30

Week 2: 7:15

Week 3: 7:00

Week 4: 6:45

Week 5: 6:30

Week 6: 6:30

Scoring here will be directly related to how many times I get out of bed when the alarm goes off.

Sundays are my lie in day.

Goal 4: Figure out whats wrong with my gut.

Showing symptoms of gassiness, bloating etc (I won't go into it here) but in an attempt to figure out which foods are causing the issues i'm going on an elimination diet.

This is 3 weeks of extremely restrictive eating and then slowly re-introducing foods and monitoring the effects in a specific gut related diary (not on here)

Scoring here will be done by the amount of days feeling awesome.

OK that's it, super simple but super challenging. Lets do this!

• Like 1

I've seen the rice bucket come by more often, especially with climbers. Hope it works for you!

A whole hour of flexibility training each morning? That's really insane :D What kind of things will you be doing?

Yeah i'm stoked about the rice bucket speaking of which.....

20150413_145639.jpg

That's 20kgs of rice right there! Only cost me 8 quid.

Flexibility wise i'm going to be focusing on hamstring lengthening and hip opening, eventually one of these days I will be able to do the splits :)

Nice challenge! I really like the rice training. The hand and wrist are such complex structures :)

What skills are you working on on the parallel bars?

Thanks, yeah i'm super excited about the rice training as well.

On the P-Bars i'm just going to be concentrating on the basics as this is my first time using them.

L-Sit, Handstand, Press-Ups, Hollow body will keep me busy for the first 3 weeks. I'll check in again after that and see.

This challenge is not getting off to a great start.

Yesterday I was brutally hung-over and so failed on all accounts to do anything except a couple of push-ups and the dirty rice routine.

Today however has got off to a better start.

I have started my elimination diet.

Got the food diary.

and am about to purge the house of all things tempting.

I totally forgot to re-set my alarm clock last night so will have to start early rising/stretching tomorrow.

However on the plus side I am now the proud owner of some home made p-bars!

IMG_20150414_092405.jpg

Bring on the program!

I have edited my third goal because I think ints unrealistic. Here is a smarter version that will hopefully yield the same results.

Goal 3: Becoming an early riser

In order to give myself more time I am going to wake up one hour earlier than I do usually and use that hour to stretch/work out. This means setting the alarm for 6:30.

However I know from experience that getting up earlier that you are used to can be difficult so i'm going to eat myself into it.

This week I will get up at 7:30

Week 2: 7:15

Week 3: 7:00

Week 4: 6:45

Week 5: 6:30

Week 6: 6:30

Scoring here will be directly related to how many times I get out of bed when the alarm goes off.

Sundays are my lie in day.

Great looking p-bars. Similar to Sea Level I have a home made PVC set.

Thanks, yeah i'm super excited about the rice training as well.

On the P-Bars i'm just going to be concentrating on the basics as this is my first time using them.

L-Sit, Handstand, Press-Ups, Hollow body will keep me busy for the first 3 weeks. I'll check in again after that and see.

Looks pretty damn solid to me!

Concentrated on legs today.

3 Rounds of:

5xSquats

5xForward Lunge (Both Sides)

5xSplit squats

5xChinese squats (Both Sides)

5xRolling Two Leg Squat

Rest 60sec after each round.

The rolling two leg squats were HARD also I have a severe lack of mobility, trying to get full room on the normal squat was difficult.

Looks pretty damn solid to me!

Yah my first workout on the P-Bars was NOT easy :)

• Like 1

Re-evaluating goals is always a smart thing to do :) How can you do things like dips when those p-bars are so 'low'? (they look nice btw!)

Thanks :) I'm doing the dips with my feet on the floor, but my torso lifted as much as possible.

Something like this.

20150417_095306.jpg

Please excuse my terrible sketching.

• Like 1

Sweet! With a kitten on your head?

Yep.

Awesome sketching! Love the addition of the weighted cat :)

Thanks, I find that the cat is good incentive to keep good from, if I stat to wobble it digs its claws in :)

Quick round-up of this week.

P-Bars. and Legs.

Did 2 p-bar work outs this week. Both extremely hard. I have kept a small journal on how difficult the routines are. At the moment I would rate the exertion at about 9 out of 10. It will be interesting to come back to this number at the end of the challenge and see where I am.

1 legs work out which I also graded at around 7 out of 10. 

Dirty Rice.

I did two dirty rice work outs this week. Both times going for 20 seconds on 20 seconds rest, rinse and repeat through the 8 or so exercises. My arms were definitely feeling it at the end but the second time was definitely easier than the first. So next week i'm aiming for 25on 20 off.

Waking up.

After a rough start on the first two days I managed to get into the swing of things and was up by 7:30 every day after that (except today which is my rest/lie in day) So will be setting the alarm for 7:15 next week.

Gut.

On an elimination diet which is basically fish, fruit and veg. Feeling better but not fixed. Will keep going but will encounter some issues next week as it's my birthday and I will be eating my cake and drinking my beer!

• Like 1

P-Bars.

Knee Push Up Side to Sides 10/10/10     

Assisted Shoulder Stand 10/10/10           

Jump Throughs 8/8/8

Assisted Inverted Presses 10/8/8

Swing Sets 10/10/10

Need to work on better form on Assisted Shoulder Stands, and Inverted Presses. Also cant get my feet through backwards on the swing sets which is frustrating, hopefully be better next time.

Also aiming for 3 sets of 10 for all exercises next time. 

• Like 1

Yep.

Thanks, I find that the cat is good incentive to keep good from, if I stat to wobble it digs its claws in :)

Quick round-up of this week.

P-Bars. and Legs.

Did 2 p-bar work outs this week. Both extremely hard. I have kept a small journal on how difficult the routines are. At the moment I would rate the exertion at about 9 out of 10. It will be interesting to come back to this number at the end of the challenge and see where I am.

1 legs work out which I also graded at around 7 out of 10. 

Dirty Rice.

I did two dirty rice work outs this week. Both times going for 20 seconds on 20 seconds rest, rinse and repeat through the 8 or so exercises. My arms were definitely feeling it at the end but the second time was definitely easier than the first. So next week i'm aiming for 25on 20 off.

Waking up.

After a rough start on the first two days I managed to get into the swing of things and was up by 7:30 every day after that (except today which is my rest/lie in day) So will be setting the alarm for 7:15 next week.

Gut.

On an elimination diet which is basically fish, fruit and veg. Feeling better but not fixed. Will keep going but will encounter some issues next week as it's my birthday and I will be eating my cake and drinking my beer!

I'm loving the creative use of the cat. Good illustration.  :highly_amused:

Daryl of Barbaria - Ranger / Footpad

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"