Jaana's log - advice appreciated!

Hello fellow rebels.

I'm in the Academy since September - so much much has shifted for myself regarding diet and fitness but this is my first 6WC. It comes at the right time for me, because I'm a little lost at the moment, having lost track of my goals for a few weeks.

I really would appreciate advice concerning my goals, because in this moment, I feel a little insecure.

My main quest is weight loss. I decided beginning of this year, that I would loose 30 kgs (after having lost 6 already) I was very good on track loosing 6,5 kgs more! It would be great to be able to loose them till end of the year -

Ok, so I changed a lot in my diet. I'm able to live on 80 % paleo (got a bit off the road since our honeymoon though). I already tracked my calories 60 days and completed my workouts for 2 months. Hmmm, but motivation has gone - this 6WC gives me new energy ... so this is, what I decided that my 3 fotness/diet goals should be:

1.: Getting used to meal planning

While writing this I have no idea how I will exactly plan this quest (this is where I would love to exchange experiences) - but I find this to be so important for me at the moment, because always shopping without planning more than 2 days - especially fresh ingredients - is stressful, expensive and is a thread to my willpower. I will read any article I can find to start this. I'll check out the mealplans in the Academy for a start?

2.: Biking

I love biking but I rarely do. I will go biking 3 times per week. I will track the km I made here. If I should be stuck with lots of dogs to watch, so I can't take the bike, I'll at least go for a walk with them.

3.: Calorie deficit

I had much resistance in writing this down, but I know I already could do that so there is no excuse not to do it. I will track again on MFP. 6/7 days a week minimum.

Ok, so now for the side quest ... hmmm ... so many ideas come to me.

Make a point with my health insurance to clear lots of chaos regarding my monthly sum I have to pay and get my tax declaration done early.

For now, I will choose a reward for the end of this challenge to motivate me.

A new WACOM graphic tablet (may be changed - I'm tired now and I'm running out of ideas, but this would really motivate me).

So far, I will finish this post for today and reflect everything till tomorrow morning. As I said, any suggestions are welcome!!!

Thank you Nerd Fitness for being there for us!

Jaana

Level 9 Human-Viking Paladin
Challenges: #1 ... #2 ... #3 ... #4 ... #5 ... #6 ... #7 ... #8 ... #9 ... Current: #10

My journey - Elanor's official Blog

My weekly Fitness-Vlog on YouTube

Good goals! For meal planning, I have a dry-erase insert in my planner and every Sunday I plan out lunch & dinner for the week (breakfast is usually the same few things so I don't bother planning that). You could use just a cheap dry-erase board for it as well! Doing it Sunday night makes me look in my pantry and fridge to see what I have and build it around that since I haven't done my grocery shopping for the week yet (usually stop by the store after work). So I make my meal plan use as much stuff I already have, and then I make a list of anything I need to buy for any of the meals. I'm single so usually this ends up with a really cheap grocery bill for the week! This week, all I need to buy for my week is a few veggies, eggs, and spinach. If I didn't have a plan, I'd probably stop at the store and buy whatever looked good for the week! But having a plan and a list really helps.

I also recommend looking up some recipes that are "so easy you don't need a recipe." Like the roasted veggies or chicken stir fry recipes here on NF - things you hardly even have to "plan" for. I looked some of those up and just scribbled two- or three-step recipes in my planner and I've used them a LOT to just throw something together, and it works for dinner and leftovers for lunch the next few days. If I'm making my meal plan on Sunday and can't think of something to have, I just put "roasted veggies" in a few slots and add some squash, zucchini, bell peppers etc. to my shopping list for a few dollars.

Hope that helps a little! Good luck on the challenge!

• Like 2

Hey Armada! Thanks a lot! Yes, your advice is really helpful and it shows me, that it can be done. I'm living in couple and some days of the week, I eat at my parents so have to consider this also. But you'e right: there's nothing complicated in having the ingredients for the chicken stir fry or the roasted veggies available. Wow, that really motivates me! Thank you!

Challenges: #1 ... #2 ... #3 ... #4 ... #5 ... #6 ... #7 ... #8 ... #9 ... Current: #10

Ok, so I made one major change to this challenge already. While rethinking this challenge overnight, I found that there really was something important to do financially in finally making clear the payments I have to make to my health insurance (they still want to make me pay as tough I still would earn as much as 5 years ago when I had a boutique, which results in me not being able to pay etc.) and as tax declarations come up, I want to make them early this time and not pushing them aside till last minute. I think this is a good quest because it gets me out of my comfort zone (I feel really insecure with paperwork) but is something, that I should easily be able to do in the next 6 weeks.

I already made a list of what's in my fridge and storage and wrote a list what to buy for the meal plan. I chose one of the mealplans in the academy. Woot!

• Like 1

sounds like you made some good changes. 

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Scouts' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

• Like 1

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Ok, thank you Blaidd! I'll check out the guild.

Review of my first week: total chaos!!!

I printed the lvl 4 meal plan of the Academy and discovered great recipes and how it can change one's life to know what you're going to eat in the evening. But it also put my whole daily routine upside down, so there have been fails etc. But I still have the feeling to have lost weight, instead of gained. I'll check the scale tomorrow. I also got my husband on the run and we discussed the meal plan of this week. What I will have to change is to learn to think ahead more and prepare snacks also - hehe.

I did not go biking once due to our bike that's broken. :( And I will also need to choose another goal, because I just can't leave so easily alone. With all the chaos, calorie counting didn't work either. :P I'll stick to the meal planning quest and also to the biking one, even if I'm able to do this only once a week or so. But I can't take another nutrition quest, because the first one already takes much of my willpower. I will transform this one in building the habit (again) of at least doing 5 mins a day of fitness - any kind.

What do you think?

Hello! GO YOU for that -1 kg, even in a chaotic week.

I've been cooking for me & hubby, lunch and dinner,  for nearly 5 years now...

The thing that works better for me is to plan in advance for the week: on Saturday morning I plan my menu and write down the list (checking the pantry to be sure I'll consume everything that's already there, instead of letting food rot). I have a quick lunch and then I go making groceries.

Many of the meals I prepare are super easy, like one portion of proteins (tuna, chicken, hard-boiled eggs, whatever) + one portion of vegetables + one portion of a healthy fat (i.e. one tbsp of olive oil) + carbohydrates (i.e. apple and orange for lunch, or one portion of rice for dinner if I went running 10K).

When I cook dinner, I also pack our lunches in two nice Tupperwares alongside, so it doesn't really take so much time.

I use Google Calendar, but anything that works for you is fine I think. i.e. if I have to dine out with friends after work, usually I just shift the planned dinner one day later... and voilà!

Snacks are tricky :D but something healthy I suppose. Choose wisely i.e. if you decide to have yogurt, I'd avoid those 0% fat 0% sugar fakes, they leave me far more hungry than before and craving for some Oreos. Instead, I'd suggest whole milk yogurt, that leaves me satisfied.

• Like 1

• Ladygazza  :lemo: 

Race: Lightfoot Halfling | Class: Assassin

[Level: 1 | STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1 ]

​Current quest: Lemons!

Battle log: Le cahier de Mme Pie aka The Ladygazza

Accountabilibuddies: Aspiring Assassin Apprentice Accountabilibuddies

Thank you for all your advice. It's really helpful. Thing is, I'm not at all used to plan my meals ahead for one week and my storage is not yet readied for it. So, today I went shopping in a new store and there was all my heart desired in veggies, fruit and proteins of any kind. I filled up like I used to for 2 days according to the meal plan. I'll stick to this plan one more week and then I'll try to make my own. :)

That's good! Start slowly, adjusting to your needs (everyone's situation is different) and learning from mistakes. I didn't built my Rome in a day, neither  :peach:  :lemo:  :kiwi-fruit:  :watermelon:  :strawberry:  :apple: yummie fruit..

• Like 1

ok, I'm a little late with my update this week - there was a lot of things happening and I barely went home. But even then, week 2 worked out much better already than week 1. Only on Sunday, where I stayed at my sisters, there was cake for breakfast and pizza at night. I didn'T have access to a scale, so I had to skip this step too - but I feel like having lost weight - and not to less. It is also a huge step to leveling up for me not to fuss too much about the scale for once. I do this to feel better overall and focusing only on numbers.

What was great was, that - as I said - we stayed much at my sister's over the last week and it was really cool to know ahead what to cook and what to shop. We did an awesome taco salad on saturday and yesterday we made lettuce wrapped burgers. Great!

So, now I'm looking for more meal plans to level up. Maybe also for level 5-6 ? Because the next one is already level 7 and I don't know if I'm there yet. If not, I'll make my own :-)

Hi! Good hearing from you!

Yes, it's a nice sensation knowing what to cook etc. at least it keeps off my mind the constant preoccupation of -omg, what am I to cook? To eat? To buy?

ok, well - this post comes a little late. I weighed myself on Monday (1 day to early) and it seems that I gained weight instead of loosing. :( Well - I'll finetune this week.

This week is a premiere for me because I created my first mealplan by myself. I focused on easy meals so I won't have any excuse not to cook or buy them. Financially it's a little tight at the moment, so I focus on the basics more than trying out many new fancy recipes. Wish me luck!

• Like 1

Back to basics :D that's simpler, too. Don't stress too much about weigth, it could be some water and muscles (they are denser than fat).