• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CarismaUMD

CC, The Ranger Recruit, First 6-week Challenge

Am I the only one who finds this a tad overwhelming?  Not the challenge but the forum and choosing a race and profession.  I'm gonna be honest, I've sat out challenges over the past year because I've been too confused by the forum.  

What I've been doing is not working well enough for me, so I here I go.  I'm consistently inspired by the Nerd Fitness and appreciate the thought and logic behind everything.

My main goal is to run a 5k in less than 30 minutes.  This is an end of the year goal.  For the first 6 week challenge is to run a 5k period.  To complete this, I will:

1) Run twice a week (a supplement to the CrossFit I do 4-5 times a week) and not be discouraged by slow speed.  Begin with 1 mile, building in .5 increments over the 6 weeks.

2) Drink 100oz of water a day.

3) Eat a vegetable with every meal.

Side goal:

First the first hour of work, do not get distracted with non-work-related items, texts, and/or websites, with the exception of getting a solid cup of coffee.  

• Like 6

Yesterday, I ended up doing 7 X 200 m sprints with a friend (plus 10 push ups and 20 sit ups after each one).  It felt horrible during and wonderful when it was over.  We warmed up with a 400m jog.  So I'm gonna go ahead and count that as my first mile of the week.  I drank 128oz of water and had baby carrots for two snacks, sweet potato and onions at lunch, and green beans and red peppers at dinner.

Today I got to work and hit the ground running.  I got into a nice grove and it wasn't until noon I allowed myself to peruse non-work related topics.  So naturally, I went to the Nerd Fitness Forum.  I have a few more things to accomplish today, but I'm feeling really great about what I've done alreayd and where I'm headed.

• Like 4

your goals seem SMART to me, i ran my first 5k about a year ago i was surprised i even finished it, i have no doubt that you will get there without a problem.. might I ask, what is it you find overwhelming about the forums? i'll help in any way i can. 

I am a newbie too! I've been wanting to run a 5k in under 30 min for the last several years, so I am going to follow your journey and steal your ideas. ;) Do you run on a track, is that how you measure your 200m, 400m, etc? I tend to just go outside and run around the neighborhood, but there is a high school nearby and I'm wondering if hitting the track to do sprints may make it easier for me to work on tracking my pace and gauging my speed.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your words of encouragement!  It's very cool to see replies to my thread.  Just thought I would sort of be posting out to the ether, it's nice to know that's not the case.

kzacher- What I've found to be the most intimidating is choosing a race.  I clicked the link and was left scratching my head and couldn't figure it out.  I'm not familiar with the RPG world.  It's pretty inconsequential in the grand scheme of things but I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out and coming up empty handed.  Also, the shear volume of posts on the forum is what I found to be intimidating.  I've never posted on one before so I was a bit apprehensive to try.  However, so far so good...

armadadesigns- Yesterday I ran on a track and when I'm measuring time, especially shorter distances (<1 mile) I like to be on a track to have an accurate estimate.  You compliment me by stealing my ideas!  I love it, let me know how it goes.  Almost 5 years ago I ran a 5k in 27 minutes, so I know I can do it.  I've fallen off a lot in running and gained a lot of weight.  I'm hoping if I do better running, my appearance and weight will fall in line as well.  If not, at least I'll be a faster runner and I definitely consider that a win!

• Like 1

Thank you all for your words of encouragement!  It's very cool to see replies to my thread.  Just thought I would sort of be posting out to the ether, it's nice to know that's not the case.

kzacher- What I've found to be the most intimidating is choosing a race.  I clicked the link and was left scratching my head and couldn't figure it out.  I'm not familiar with the RPG world.  It's pretty inconsequential in the grand scheme of things but I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out and coming up empty handed.  Also, the shear volume of posts on the forum is what I found to be intimidating.  I've never posted on one before so I was a bit apprehensive to try.  However, so far so good...

your race is whatever you feel you are. if you feel you're a dragon, then you are a dragon. if you feel like you're a hobbit, then you are a hobbit, and etc. the link is more to help you out if you were creating a character. for example, i'm listed as "Furyan" which is a race of human. but you can be whatever you choose.

i had very little experience with forums before i joined NF. i think most people are able to pick up on it pretty quickly. which may also be why they have folks start in the recruits section to start out.

if i can help at all please let me know. 

• Like 2

your race is whatever you feel you are. if you feel you're a dragon, then you are a dragon. if you feel like you're a hobbit, then you are a hobbit, and etc. the link is more to help you out if you were creating a character. for example, i'm listed as "Furyan" which is a race of human. but you can be whatever you choose.

i had very little experience with forums before i joined NF. i think most people are able to pick up on it pretty quickly. which may also be why they have folks start in the recruits section to start out.

if i can help at all please let me know. 

Wait wait, I can be a dragon?!  XD

I actually changed my original NF starter race (wood elf) to something I felt fit my personality and goals better (bear shaman) as I leveled up and discovered more fitness.  So don't feel like you have to choose and be stuck with it!  :)

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and guess from your username you're from Maryland? :D  I lived there for many years (Germantown) and my boyfriend worked in College Park.

Running is serious work, I've no doubt that if you stick to it you'll kick it's butt~ :)

• Like 2

My issue is that I have no idea what a specific race is, what are its characteristics so I know if it fits me or not.  The link for examples Stacy had didn't have any descriptions whatsoever.  So, whatever race is athletic, but a little overweight. Is strong but would rather use smooth talk than brute strength. However, if it's time to get crazy can go totally nuts, that's me.  Is lion a race?  I feel like I relate to the Lion.  At this point, I feel like I'm being totally random.

Shaarawy, I did go to the University of Maryland (Terp for life!) and would like to return there (Maryland) soon!

• Like 2

I think Lion totally works! I chose Dwarf as I was thinking of short, strong, drinks lots of beer, hates cardio, just like Gimli in the Lord of the Ring (that bit where they're running along and he's going "Just keep breathing, that's the trick"? Me to a T). It's just whatever you feel represents you. I hope that helps :)

• Like 2

You should also feel free to skip choosing a race altogether (or pick human!) if nothing grabs you and you aren't into fantasy or gaming. It's not necessary to NF, just a fun thing that helps some people. Take what works for you, leave the rest.

I had never done forums before NF either, and I found it overwhelming being in the noobie forums with soooo many entries to choose from. It actually gets much easier in the second challenge, after you choose a guild (you sound like a scout or ranger, probably). The number of threads to choose from is much smaller, and it's easier to find people who have common goals. Just hang in there, you'll get it! (I've been on for two years, now, so obviously it worked out.)

• Like 4

If you don't want to choose a race you dont have to! You'll notice some have them, some dont. Some use the stats and the lvls, others dont. I use the lvl's to keep track of what challenge I'm on, but I dont use the stats. it can be however you want. I've seen timelords, time lord companions, elves, dwarfs, you're not limited to one series, or style of character.

I chose Torgruta because I knew I wanted to get into Star Wars Costuming, and I love Shaak ti, and Asoka. Also reading on Wookipedia how the race is portrayed I felt really fit me. The sense of community, the lack of shoe wearing, the quiet nature for the most part, but strong warriors when called upon to be

Some do it based on what body type the feel they are now, or what they want to be. use what parts of the race/lvling up that works for you, or dont and that's fine too

• Like 3

I am super excited to have figured out the signature and link (with the help of kzacher).  Thankfully, with no major loss of work productivity.  I hope the next 5 weeks and 4 days go this well.   :redface-new:

I did more speed work today.  All in the name of helping a coworker.  We did 10 x 200 m (30 sec rest between) and 10 X 100 m (15 sec rest between).  I felt terrible, in a good but whine-y way.  Ok, she did 10 of each, I did 8 x 200m and 9 x 100m because I'm not training for what she is, I didn't want to, I was still there to support her and got a solid work out in.  I'm so glad that's over with and I'm thinking at some point it won't feel as awful.  I've been getting my veggies in (does hummus count?  I'm asking for a friend.  :playful: ) and been drinking 100-130 oz of water a day.  For some reason, drinking through a straw helps me to drink more.

Today I feel incredibly accomplished at work.  I wanted so badly to jump on the NF forum first thing when I got into work, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the challenge I set above? So, I scheduled a few things I've been avoiding for almost 2 years and completed it this afternoon.  It's one of those things that didn't take a whole lot of time but was a huge pain in the butt.  I had to make sure 4 different people were available to essentially drop something off to them and today it worked out.  A huge weight off my shoulders.  

As far as race goes, I think being human is a little boring, unless there's a more specific, perhaps magical, sub-race of human that's similar to my physical appearance and personality, I'd pick that.  I like lion.  I was also thinking mermaid because for my entire life, I've always wanted to be one.  I'd love to breathe and live under water!  But I don't swim so much anymore and I'd like the race to fit me better.  Am I putting too much thought into it?  Perhaps, but I definitely dig all the input, so thank you for that!    

• Like 2

I did more speed work today.  All in the name of helping a coworker.  We did 10 x 200 m (30 sec rest between) and 10 X 100 m (15 sec rest between).  I felt terrible, in a good but whine-y way.  Ok, she did 10 of each, I did 8 x 200m and 9 x 100m because I'm not training for what she is, I didn't want to, I was still there to support her and got a solid work out in.  I'm so glad that's over with and I'm thinking at some point it won't feel as awful.  I've been getting my veggies in (does hummus count?  I'm asking for a friend.  :playful: ) and been drinking 100-130 oz of water a day.  For some reason, drinking through a straw helps me to drink more.

Today I feel incredibly accomplished at work.  I wanted so badly to jump on the NF forum first thing when I got into work, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the challenge I set above? So, I scheduled a few things I've been avoiding for almost 2 years and completed it this afternoon.  It's one of those things that didn't take a whole lot of time but was a huge pain in the butt.  I had to make sure 4 different people were available to essentially drop something off to them and today it worked out.  A huge weight off my shoulders.  

I promise that at some point it won't feel quite as awful (although the nature of speed work is that it kinda sucks no matter what..). And you'll probably notice a difference if you do longer runs after doing speed work for a while. 

Congrats on getting that work stuff done! I can definitely relate to putting things off and off and then realizing after I finally do them that it really wasn't that hard! :)

• Like 2

There are different human races. Just have to lol into them(I'm Furyan, for example, which is human but a different race-from a different planet). You can also look into other humanoid creatures like catfolk, zyphers, etc. I wouldn't stress it much. Just look around when you can until you find what fits

• Like 1

a lion works.  You could be a liger too if you have an affinity for tigers and lions.  I've seen people make up races too because they couldn't choose just one so they made up a name that combined both.  

As for the forums it can be overwhelming.  When I started it felt like every week I was discovering something new and exciting.  You just can't take it all in at once. Consider it a surprise each time.  There is still some information that I have found over and over that is interesting but it doesn't apply to me quite yet in my fitness journey so I have trouble processing it.  But I know where to find it again when it does.  And everyone is so helpful that they are always willing to help.

You are doing great on your challenge so far.  Keep up those running drills.  

• Like 2

Today I ran/walked 1.5 miles on the treadmill.  My hamstrings have been bothering me, so it actually hurts to run slow but I was too gassed from today's crossfit workout to run fast for 1.5 miles.  All I could manage was going 6.5mph for 1:30 then walking for 1 minute.  I did jog the first and last 1/4 mile.  It's better than not running at all, but not what I set out to do for my challenge.  I'm gonna do more stretching, maybe actually go outside tomorrow and actually jog the whole 1.5 mile.  I've been doing good eating veggies with every meal.  While I've had no problem consuming water during the week, I fell short over the weekend.  I drank 60-70 oz of water (instead of the goal 100 oz.) so I'm going to have to try harder next weekend.  During the week, I drink more like 120-130 oz.

I've been feeling really great about the hour of strict work productivity.  It usually turns into 2-3 hours of work-only productivity, it was usually the opposite, and I'm making a lot of progress after being stuck for months.  This may be the most successful part of my challenge.

I meant to do this last week, but here's week one's mini challenge.

1. Yes, quest is achievable and reasonable over 6 weeks.  Only if I keep up with it, of course, no way to cram the work in at the end.

2. 3 quests all build towards the main goal, first athletically, the other two nutritionally so my body work more efficiently.

3. Yes, the goals are realistic.

4. I can measure the first in distance, the second I keep track using my fit bit tracker each time I finish a bottle of water, and the third is simple enough veggie when I eat.

5. My goals are graded at the end of the week pass/fail.  Either I ran enough, or I didn't.  I consider passing as long as my water and veggies average out to be what I set out at the end of the week.

6.  If I get injured but can do rower/elliptical/bike, the miles will count the same.  (Double or triple the miles on the bike).

7. For special occasions, because I'm taking a weekly average, my goals shouldn't be affected.

8. My goals do not conflict with each other.

9. I have time to complete my goals.

10. I am trying to build multiple habits but small enough to make building them all reasonable.

• Like 2

Today I ran/walked 1.5 miles on the treadmill.  My hamstrings have been bothering me, so it actually hurts to run slow but I was too gassed from today's crossfit workout to run fast for 1.5 miles.  All I could manage was going 6.5mph for 1:30 then walking for 1 minute.  I did jog the first and last 1/4 mile.  It's better than not running at all, but not what I set out to do for my challenge.  I'm gonna do more stretching, maybe actually go outside tomorrow and actually jog the whole 1.5 mile.  I've been doing good eating veggies with every meal.  While I've had no problem consuming water during the week, I fell short over the weekend.  I drank 60-70 oz of water (instead of the goal 100 oz.) so I'm going to have to try harder next weekend.  During the week, I drink more like 120-130 oz.

I've been feeling really great about the hour of strict work productivity.  It usually turns into 2-3 hours of work-only productivity, it was usually the opposite, and I'm making a lot of progress after being stuck for months.  This may be the most successful part of my challenge.

I meant to do this last week, but here's week one's mini challenge.

1. Yes, quest is achievable and reasonable over 6 weeks.  Only if I keep up with it, of course, no way to cram the work in at the end.

2. 3 quests all build towards the main goal, first athletically, the other two nutritionally so my body work more efficiently.

3. Yes, the goals are realistic.

4. I can measure the first in distance, the second I keep track using my fit bit tracker each time I finish a bottle of water, and the third is simple enough veggie when I eat.

5. My goals are graded at the end of the week pass/fail.  Either I ran enough, or I didn't.  I consider passing as long as my water and veggies average out to be what I set out at the end of the week.

6.  If I get injured but can do rower/elliptical/bike, the miles will count the same.  (Double or triple the miles on the bike).

7. For special occasions, because I'm taking a weekly average, my goals shouldn't be affected.

8. My goals do not conflict with each other.

9. I have time to complete my goals.

10. I am trying to build multiple habits but small enough to make building them all reasonable.

kudos on being ABLE to run after a workout

• Like 2

sounds like you're doing great.

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Rangers' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

First of all, I'm thoroughly annoyed I screwed up my last post (quote did not work out right).  Second, I successfully guilted myself into running this morning, which is a huge win.  Most M, Tu, W, and F's I go to CrossFit at 5:30 am, drive into work, piddle at my desk for a half hour, maybe do some light cardio or stretching depending how I feel (we have a small gym at work), and shower.  So, there's really no reason I can't squeeze in 1-2 miles after, or on Thursdays.  Today was a harder workout for me, mostly bodyweight stuff: 2 rounds of 50 walking lunges, 40 push ups, 30 air squats, 20 box step overs (20"), and 10 burpees.  I love it when it's hard for me but it took a lot out of me.  I felt nauseated and light-headed after, which is not good (I do not buy into the idea of puking as sign of success after a workout).  My 20 minute drive to work was a heated debate by myself.  I'm tired, 100 lunges is a lot, you're not gonna run it fast, you're really tired, do it the runs Thursday and Saturday, or one of the days and just count Monday.  No, no, I said.  That is not what I set out to do.  I know I can run a mile without stopping, which is why last week's sprints were ok.  But it's been over 6 months since I've run more than that and I will do it today, it's only a mile and a half.  I have time and running it fast isn't the point, it's just running it.  Also, as I said above, the intervals I did yesterday did not and should not count, but my own rules.  

So, I ate a Strawberry Newton to get a little nutrients and life back in me.  I Stretched, got some good jams going, and set my Runtastic app to 1.5 miles.  I started off down what I thought was a slight hill.  As anyone who's ever run anything, what's a slight decline going one way, is a giant hill going back up.  I had to stop a few times for street lights, but I did it.  I ran 1.5 miles and I even enjoyed it.  So, depending on how I feel, I can do the other 1.5 on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday.  It's nice to have the flexibility and it's nice to only have to do one day.  

The water and veggie challenges are easy, especially during the work week.  The real challenge comes on the weekend, so I'm hoping to improve from last weekend.

• Like 3

that's a huge win! talking yourself into doing something you don't want to do is a very difficult task. plus, you enjoyed it once you started. big wins

winning.gif

• Like 1

that's a huge win! talking yourself into doing something you don't want to do is a very difficult task. plus, you enjoyed it once you started. big wins

winning.gif

The hardest is part is just starting, right?

• Like 1