• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CarismaUMD

CC, The Ranger Recruit, First 6-week Challenge

Mini-Challenge #5- favorite recipe: Dijon Pork Breakfast Skillet

Mini-Challenge #6- My guild of choice is Ranger.  I have had the fortune to be introduced to some pretty kick ass Ranger vets Phoenix Burning and kzacher. NIce to see their badassery on the boards. Holla!

I wanna report that the challenge is going smoothly but I haven't been as diligent as I would like.  I've been pretty lax with my water on the weekends, even knowing it's a problem.  I stopped paying attention to the veggies all together.  I think I've been having them with most meals, I'm not sure.  On the weekends, I know, if I do eat veggies, it's only at dinner.  Could explain why on my 3 mile run yesterday I could barely run two without walking.  I walked a little between miles 2 and 3.  Which is pretty disappointing considering I was going pretty slow as it were.  My consolation is I have another week to improve since my goal was to run 3 miles without stopping.  Two more runs until next challenge...

• Like 3

Go Rangers!

I have run up to 13 miles before, but I have to say, one of the hardest transitions was upping from two miles to three when I first started out. I don't know what it is, but that one felt like such a challenge. Which is to say, I beat it and then some, and so will you!

• Like 3

Go Rangers!

I have run up to 13 miles before, but I have to say, one of the hardest transitions was upping from two miles to three when I first started out. I don't know what it is, but that one felt like such a challenge. Which is to say, I beat it and then some, and so will you!

I know, it's crazy, isn't it?  I did a half maranthon two years ago.  When I started training, the first run was 6 miles, which before that, I'd never run more than 5 in my life and it wasn't too bad.  So, why am I struggling so much with the 3?  I suppose the answer doesn't really matter (it's not injury) so I'm just gonna keep trying.

Ok, so I changed my plan a bit.  I feel it's a little bit of a cop out but sometimes goals conflict with each other and you have to pick.  So, for all those CrossFit folks out there, you know Memorial Day is the Murph Challenge: 1 mile run, 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups, 300 squats, and 1 mile run.  Done as prescribed with a 20 pound vest or body armor.  I did it scaled last year, ring rows instead of pull-ups and certainly no vest.  Time= 52:23.  

Now for the conflict of interests.  I traveled last week and this week for work.  It screwed with my schedule more than I would have liked.  I got my CrossFit in Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday with no time to run afterward.  We rowed and ran alot with those workouts too.  I'm going on vacation with my family Saturday which means I can't do Murph with the gym on Monday, so I decided instead to do it Friday morning (today).  Now, Murph is two miles, not three but you did see all the craziness in the middle, to include 300 squats which I gotta figure is worth more than a mile.  Last year, between the heat and exhaustion, I could not will myself to run the whole last mile.  I wanted this year to be different.

Being as that I just started doing pull-ups (kipping) a few months ago and running is a struggle, I did not to use a vest.    I was pleased the first mile only took 9:20, I wasn't running hard but I wasn't gonna let myself sand bag it either.  I split up the pull-ups, push-ups, squats into 3, 6, 9.  The second to last set I did 4, 8, 12.  My concern wasn't the pull-ups so much as tearing my hands because I kip the crap out of them to get my chin over the bar.  Hands started tearing around pull-up 75.  I considered switching to rings but thought, I've made it this far and I know the tears don't start hurting until I try to wash them, so I'm gonna keep pushing on.  I was afraid of the push-ups too, I did not want to go to my knees and I didn't.  It felt good doing 6 at a time, I think anymore would have exhausted me to the point where I'd have to go to my knees or I'd be doing the worm trying to off of them.  I was elated when I finished the last round, when I completed the pull-ups, I shouted, "100!" because I was so thrilled.  I think the last mile took 10-11 minutes, I'm not sure, it felt good and I didn't feel the need to walk.  Murph 2015= 59:00

I'm pretty pleased and feeling myself quite a bit.  I wasn't sure I'd be able to do all the pull-ups, or the push-ups for that matter.  I was concerned with the last mile as well.  I would have been happy just finishing it, even if I had to scale it some.  My goal last year was that I'd be able to do pull-ups this year and I really didn't think it would happen.  I'm 15 pounds heavier, which would be disappointing but when I think about how far I've come, I feel really good.

I'm not gonna get another 3 mile run in before the challenge is over.  As a whole, I consider it a partial success.  I will continue running, going to work a little more on speed.  I think the challenge helped a tremendous amount with Murph.  I have another challenge at the end of June and it's a good base for that.  I've gotten into a great habit with my water intake.  I petered off with the diligence with the veggies, but still better than I started.  Extra challenge for work has helped a lot with productivity and I feel alot better as a result.

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement.  Thank you for sharing your journeys as well.  You are all so very inspiring!  I'm happy I did it and look forward to the next one!

Until next time... 

• Like 2

Seriously just the THOUGHT of 300 squats makes my thighs hurt. You did utterly fantastic! 

giphy.gif

I'll make sure to follow your Ranger-y thread next challenge  :encouragement:

• Like 1

Seriously just the THOUGHT of 300 squats makes my thighs hurt. You did utterly fantastic! 

giphy.gif

I'll make sure to follow your Ranger-y thread next challenge  :encouragement:

And I, yours, my druid friend.  :redface-new:

• Like 1

Awesome job on Murph!

I have learned to make my goals more process oriented than goal oriented, since it is hard to tell when exactly you will be able to achieve a goal. You put in some mileage, but weren't yet ready for 3 miles. That's okay. You made progress, and you'll reach the goal in time as long as you continue the process.

• Like 2

So, I've been offline for the past two weeks.  Looking forward to the next challenge doesn't feel quite write until I wrap up this first challenge.

1. Goal allocation: 

Q1: Run twice a week, increasing by 1/2 miles per week going from 1-3 miles = 1 STA & 0.5 DEX

Q2: Drink 100 oz. water per day = 1 CON

Q3: Eat a vegetable with every meal = 0.5 STR

LQ: First hour of work: only productivity, no distractions  = 1 WIS

Miscellaneous/Overall- Challenge completion = 1 CHA

2. Challenge Summary:

Q1: Run twice a week = B (90%, fell off the last week but still ran)

Q2: Drink 100 oz water per day = B (90%)

Q3: Eat a vegetable with every meal = C (70%)

LQ: First hour of work: only productivity, no distractions = B (85%)

Overall challenge = B (83%)

3. Challenge allocation:

Q1: A (90%) = 0.9 STA & .45 DEX

Q2: B (90%) = 0.9 CON

Q3: B (70%) = 0.35 STR 

LQ: B (85%) = 0.85 WIS

OC: B (83%) = 0.83 CHA

+1 WIS for Mini-Challenge 1

+1 CON for Mini-Challenge 5

• Like 1