• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

What Lifting Goal Are You Most Excited About?

So I was thinking about it this weekend and the answer surprised me. I thought when I started lifting it would be squatting 400 (max ever is 250 7 years ago, currently working at around 200lb 5x5) or dead lifting 2x my body weight (max ever 400, working at 200 5x5). Both are pretty far off I think.

Honestly though, the thing I'm looking most forward to is putting my body weight over my head in the shoulder press. My shoulders and back have always been a huge weak spot for me in strength, and I'm really looking forward to changing that. There's something about cleaning the weight off the floor and pushing it over my head that I absolutely love.

I'm currently working out at a little over 100 lb 5x5's, and I should be adding 30 lb a month for the foreseeable future. I have not been having a difficult time with it yet, and I don't see myself stalling at all until close to 200 lb, so I'd still have 50 lb to go from there. I'm hoping to do it by mid summer. I have that picture in my head of an olympic barbell completely pressed up with 2 45's on either side and and look of triumph on my face that I push for every week and I can't wait until I reach it.

So I ask you fellow nerds, what goal are you most looking forward to hitting?

This is hard! *thinking, thinking*

My overall goal isn't one of numbers so much... I just really want to use those big ass plates. I want to squat them, press them, lift them, give them something to remember.. wait.. yeah. So, if I put that in number terms I guess I can't wait to be able to move my body weight and then some.

In the mean time, I can't wait to get my squat back up to where it was and break my deadlift goal for my challenge (which I think I could do right now for 1RM but I want to able 5x5 that bad boy).

easy, 5 x 135#

squats, bench, row, overhead and deadlifts all need to be @ 135# minimum, then i'll know i'm on to something

stupid big ass plates anyhow

/rawr

/flex

E--

I wantz my bench press @ 225. So many times in sport I've been held back because I've been unable to press the two 45 plates. So close....

This is probably number 2 for me. Back in high school I was an offensive linemen in football and all the other guys could do it. The highest I ever got was 185, a 45 and a 25 on each side, for a 1 rep max. I want to do my body weight eventually, but have the 2 45's per side is pretty much there and I think is probably more important to me than the body weight.

Edit: I can not do the typing good.

1000lb combined lift. It's been a huge goal of mine for a while now and it's something I'm still striving towards. I'm at about 860 at the moment, so there's still a ways for me to go.

-edit-

Nailed it. Hit this whilst surrounded by Nerds at the last lift off in Boston a few months ago.

Have some motivation. Goals are made to be crushed.

Edited by this_is_seth

1000lb combined lift. It's been a huge goal of mine for a while now and it's something I'm still striving towards. I'm at about 860 at the moment, so there's still a ways for me to go.

Another one I'd like to hit, but it will come with my other lifts. We had a 1000 lb. club in high school on the football team that you got a shirt if you made it. I doubt they would give it to me if I went back now.

probably a 2.5x bw deadlift (187.5kg/just over 410 pounds ish i reckon, currently sitting at around 165kg) though i've also got goals for a 1.5x bw bench (112.5kg) and can already clean and press my bw but wanna be able to strict press it, only on about 55kg right now and once i get into squatting again (hip injury stopped me from training it for AGES) i'm aiming for around 2 x bw which is 150kg not got a starting point for that as i've yet to try it much recently buuuuuut all told that = about 992lbs... so i done got me a new goal! 1000lbs total lift!!!! :D

Edited by Timmy M

My next benchmarks are all the 45's, right up the chain.

225 strict press, 315 bench, 405 squat, and 495 dead, which we'll bump up to 500, because why the hell not at that point.

All are a bit off, but absolutely do-able in the next few months.

Mostly eager to hit the press and dead, though.

Another one I'd like to hit, but it will come with my other lifts. We had a 1000 lb. club in high school on the football team that you got a shirt if you made it. I doubt they would give it to me if I went back now.

Funny enough, I started as OL in grade nine, and finished off my high-school career as LB/SB. No offense to the boys up front but I just did not enjoy being one of the 'big kids'

I think the most I ever pressed in high school as an offensive guard, defensive tackle was around 200#. I know one guy bent the bar with what was probably around 250#. Ah the joys of rural high school, long time ago...

I really want that 315# bench. I'll do 290# tomorrow, so not too far. But I'm not going to make it by my birthday which is early next month. After that, 1.5x BW on squat and dead lifts which will be around 350# or so. Maybe by the end of next year.

How does a 1000# work? bench + squat + dead?

Yup, exactly that. I need to formalize mine, actually - I missed 1000# at the end of SL5x5 and haven't done 1RM tests since. Xmas playtime.

My big aspiration is bodyweight bench. A big guy with relatively weak upper body, I'm slowly grinding up there, and it's my golden shining huge-manga-eyes happy target.

200kg deadlift too. That's just incremental, but it's an odometer number.

Are you guys talking 1RM at these weights? Or as part of a normal 5 x 5 or whatever? Always been keen to try and work 1RM on the bench press, but without a spotter I'm not game.

#1 - all lifts @body weight (not sure if i'll ever be able to pull that off on a strict press, but...)

#2. 2.5x body weight weight on deadlifts and squats

#3 - 150lb bench press (@115 now)

Bodyweight bench. Bodyweight overhead press. Double bodyweight squat. Triple bodyweight deadlift.

Maybe one day a bodyweight bent press. Purely because it'd be fucking hilarious.

My goal is to make the following by my 35th birthday (about 2.5 years from now)

- bodyweight+ in benchpress

- 2 x bodyweight+ in deadlift

- 1.5 x bodyweight+ in squat

Modest goals and a fairly long time frame, for someone @180lbs, but I see this as a long term endeavour. Also keep in mind that a couple of months ago I couldn't put up 100lbs in any of those exercises, nor could I do a chin/pull-up :)

This is hard! *thinking, thinking*

My overall goal isn't one of numbers so much... I just really want to use those big ass plates. I want to squat them, press them, lift them, give them something to remember.. wait.. yeah. So, if I put that in number terms I guess I can't wait to be able to move my body weight and then some.

In the mean time, I can't wait to get my squat back up to where it was and break my deadlift goal for my challenge (which I think I could do right now for 1RM but I want to able 5x5 that bad boy).

I like the cut of your jib.

Good goals all around everyone. I'm staying busy for the next few months shooting for 2x BW overhead (I'm 77kg/169lb), 120kg snatch, 145kg C&J.

I started reading this and thought can't CoreyD lift more than that already that? Then I realised it was a resurrected thread.

I have already checked off benching 135 pounds (big plates) which was my biggest goal since I spent months in college trying to get there and failing. I already checked off my epic goals of squating and DLing my body weight, so I still want to bench and press my body weight. But my most excited goal would be squatting 225 pounds (2 pairs of plates). This is my goal over the colder months so I can go out of the gates running faster when it warms again next year.

Somebody on here posted that they wanted to do...

500 lb DL

400 lb squat

300 lb bench

200 lb OHP

And I thought, yeah that seems like a good plan. So that is my current (long term) goal.

Somebody on here posted that they wanted to do...

500 lb DL

400 lb squat

300 lb bench

200 lb OHP

And I thought, yeah that seems like a good plan. So that is my current (long term) goal.

That was chairohkey, and he's damn close. I believe he crushed that squat and only has the DL left.

This is so adorable, year-ago NFers dreaming about goals, many of which they have hit.

I want OHP/bench/squat/deadlift 135/200/315/405. This means adding 25%/26%/21% to my current "big three" 1RMs (don't know OHP 1RM). I like them plates. I eventually want bench at 225 but 200 would be a big one and the percentage increase is in line with the others.

I am probably most excited about deadlift. Because four plates is a lot of plates.

With actual, consistent training, eating, and sleeping I know I can hit all these pretty easily. No clue if I can do it before serious running training kicks in (mid-February). I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, my friends.