• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

What Lifting Goal Are You Most Excited About?

How far off is that comp now? Athena, I know you've only just hit your goal weight, but you could consider smashing the foods for a week or 2 on the lead up, you'd be amazed the impact that will have on your strength!

How far off is that comp now? Athena, I know you've only just hit your goal weight, but you could consider smashing the foods for a week or 2 on the lead up, you'd be amazed the impact that will have on your strength!

Comp's coming up on 8th December. So, exactly 1 month to go! Would 4 weeks really make much difference though?

I'm currently planning to up protein, but only increase kJ slightly. Rough plan is to have a protein shake 3 times a week after workouts, and an extra serve of something protein rich on the other days (like, an egg, or 2 extra pieces of bacon). I'm not super keen to regain the weight I've only just lost...

Tracking protein is going to be one of my new challenge goals. Please do stop by with advice once it gets going - I'd like opinions from more experienced Warriors.

And to comment on the OP, my fave lifting goals are to get 40kg on work sets for bench press, and 60kg work sets for squat (big plate either side, whoo!). Squat I am sooo close. Bench press is further off, but I'd really, really like to get that.

It's been my (recent) experience that eating a ton will remove any plateau's you're encountering. But it's up to you to decide if you want to maintain steady progress, keeping the fat down, or attempt a temporary binge in which you'll accelerate your strength but gain some fat (along with muscle).

Anyway, hopefully I'll catch you at PTC on Saturday.

New goal: My first comp. Three months. :)

Awesome!

I could say any of the goals i've set on my blog, but honestly in every lift i'm already doing way more than i've ever done before, and that in itself excites me enough to keep going back to the gym.

Word.

Comp's coming up on 8th December. So, exactly 1 month to go! Would 4 weeks really make much difference though?

I'm currently planning to up protein, but only increase kJ slightly. Rough plan is to have a protein shake 3 times a week after workouts, and an extra serve of something protein rich on the other days (like, an egg, or 2 extra pieces of bacon). I'm not super keen to regain the weight I've only just lost...

Tracking protein is going to be one of my new challenge goals. Please do stop by with advice once it gets going - I'd like opinions from more experienced Warriors.

And to comment on the OP, my fave lifting goals are to get 40kg on work sets for bench press, and 60kg work sets for squat (big plate either side, whoo!). Squat I am sooo close. Bench press is further off, but I'd really, really like to get that.

Are we referring to the Midwinter Madness NF lift meet?

For me, I think a two-plate deadlift (1x5) is what will make me feel like an actual Warrior instead of a wannabe. Even though I've pulled 205 for 1 or 2 before, I still feel like an imposter on most days.

For me, I think a two-plate deadlift (1x5) is what will make me feel like an actual Warrior instead of a wannabe. Even though I've pulled 205 for 1 or 2 before, I still feel like an imposter on most days.

Bah you are no imposter! You can dead lift a BigM. I say that is Warrior worthy :)

Bah you are no imposter! You can dead lift a BigM. I say that is Warrior worthy :)

In my head, I realize that I'm being ridiculous. I just want to lift ALL the heavier weights. Next challenge I'm going PR-hunting, though, so we'll see if I can't knock out this DL.

I think 4 weeks is plenty of time to see some improvement. Don't expect miracles of course.

I have put my bodyweight goals on hold in favour of strength goals for now. Remember that it takes energy to build muscle so while it's good to increase protein, some extra carbs won't hurt either. But don't go crazy as I'm presuming you want to keep under 60 :)

Are we referring to the Midwinter Madness NF lift meet?

No, there is a women's powerlifting competition at a gym in Brisbane (where Athena, Shiggles and I live (and 70Kel too)). Should be a great comp with lots of awesome, strong girls!

Been away for a bit, and I've gotten off routine, but the current goal is the same...

This:

-|||||----------|||||-

+5lbs

to beat:

image.php?u=3636&dateline=1349271089

CoreyD Avatar

&

image.php?u=177&dateline=1328212068

to win:

image004.330215549_std.jpg

:)

THE END.

You win ALL the internetz.

ooooo a story with pictures!

-|||||----------|||||-

+5lbs

how much does that represent? 410?

+90!

No, there is a women's powerlifting competition at a gym in Brisbane (where Athena, Shiggles and I live (and 70Kel too)). Should be a great comp with lots of awesome, strong girls!

Ohh!! Ohhhh!!! That's exciting! I hope you guys will take lots of videos!

Hahahah WizardTrip that is awesome.

And you better get to it. I already caught up to Corey. And in 10 weeks I am going to pull 500. Don't let the smallest big guy win :)

Oh no he didn't!

Definitely benching, squatting, deadlifting, OHP, anything my own bodyweight. Geeze, you think YOU GUYS feels like wannabee warriors, I'm squatting 130 and it kicks my butt >.>

Definitely benching, squatting, deadlifting, OHP, anything my own bodyweight. Geeze, you think YOU GUYS feels like wannabee warriors, I'm squatting 130 and it kicks my butt >.>

You said it Ducky. Currently on 65kg (145lb) squat and it feels heavy. At the moment I can't even imagine having twice that on me before I reach my goals!

As for my goals...

Deadlift: 4 plates - 180kg (405lb)

Squat: 3 plates - 140kg (315lb)

Bench: 2 plates - 100kg (225lb)

Press: 1 plate - 60kg (135lb)

Pullups: 5 full RoM

All this before my wedding in August next year!

If I am brutally honest the goal I am most excited about is looking awesome on my wedding photos! (I know... so vain)

I don't know if Ducky or Barefoot are guys or gals, which like it or not makes a difference to goals/expected weights, but I'm squatting 57.5kg (~127lb) for my work sets (3x5), and it's *hella-heavy*. It's 2.5kg more than my bodyweight, mind you, and I'm just a 5'1" tall woman in her 30s. Maybe I'm still a "wannabee warrior" in others' eyes, but I'm impressed with myself. I started with 30kg squats just 3 months ago, so I'm happy with my progress to date.

I really don't have a good idea (due to lack of experience/benchmarking) about what's reasonably achievable or not with lifting, so I'm basing my overall lifting goals off the Starting Strength table, for my gender & bodyweight (and converted into kg). So a category 5 (best one) for 1RM on bench is 64kg, so if I had to pick, I'd say that's my goal for bench. 65kg, to round it to a loadable weight. Right here and now, though, it's 40kg for my work sets. I can picture that, it's juuust out of reach. If I aim too far away, I won't focus as well.

*pause for edit*

My husband recommend I clarify things here, because it's upsetting me.

When you/we complain or celebrate our lifts, it's good for us all to remember that we vary in genders, heights, weights, and lifting experience. What's a fantastic lift for one person might be merely a warmup for another taller, more experienced lifter. What's a beginner/intermediate disappointingly low weight for one, might be the maximum potential weight another person could lift, barring steroid use and intensive training.

It doesn't mean we can't celebrate or bemoan our lifts. But I guess what I'm asking is for people not to put down their "light" lifts so much (especially not without noting gender/weight/experience), and thus also implicitly judging people who lift only those weights too. It's a bit like a skinny person standing in a crowd of fatter people, complaining about their own bodyweight and how gross and flabby they look. Sure, they're not explicitly judging those other people, just themselves. But if you're one of the plumper people there, you're gonna know that Ms. Skinny thinks you're even *more* gross and flabby than they are.

As far as I'm concerned, you're not a wannabee *anything*, so long as you're pushing yourself as best you can, at whatever level you're at. If you're grunting and straining to lift 30kg, that impresses me more than someone who cruises through their 100kg workout with never a grunt nor bead of sweat to be seen.

I hope I haven't upset anyone. I really wanted to get that off my chest, as I've been feeling a bit teary about this.

Edited by Athena

@Athena: I apologise if I came accross as belittleing anything... absolutley not my intention. I guess it is easy to forget on a pulbic forum such as this that nobody knows anything about me so the risk of being missinterpreted is high.

You should 100% be celebrated for every effort you put in and every step you take (large or small) towards your goals.

I was merely commenting about myself as the heavy weights I see other people (far mere experienced than me) posting seem inconcievable in the face my own current experience.

FWIW I am male, 5'9", 185lbs, early 30's, no previous lifting experience, started Stronglifts 5 weeks ago. I am very pleased with my progress (I was posting just yesterday in the w00t room about my Press) but I am in competition with myself only.

Sorry if my comment came accross as glib.