Jamais716 triathlon prep

jamais716

Last challenge went really well, and I feel better about my body’s looks and ability, but I’ve let the diet slide a bit in the past 2 months. Need to get everything together to prep for a sprint tri at the end of June.

Main Quest:

This year is a rebuilding year. I want to be where I was at the beginning of last year, but stronger.  I will to do at least 1 5k race and a sprint tri, while continuing to lift.  I will become anti-fragile so I can do all the bajillion things I want to. I will lose 15 lbs so that my clothes fit well again and I don’t have to buy new ones. 

Motivation:

I registered for a sprint tri at the end of June and talked a friend into it too. No backing out now!

Goals:

• Pullups - I’m letting the strength goals slide a bit as I step up my endurance training, but I reeeeeeally want pull-ups and they help with rock climbing and I’m so close! Goal is 3x5 pull-ups  

• Run 2x/week - my weakest leg of the tri, training for this started in January and will finish and restart the plan at the end of the month at a faster pace.  No excuses, just gotta do it. 

• Diet - ugh, my real challenge is here! Want to keep to these rules at least during the week, and not totally backslide over the weekend:
    • Eat between 10a-8pm
    • At least 100g protein
    • Keep carbs under 150g
    • No candy but good chocolate
    • Don’t buy junk

Starting stats:

Been traveling and busy for a few days, so I don't have starting measurements as of today. But as of Thursday,

Weight: 150.8     Fat Mass:  51.5

Squat 3x5 135 

Bench Press 3x5 100 

Shoulder Press 3x5 65

Deadlift 3x5 175

Power Clean 3x5 90

Pullups 2

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

Past challenges: 2014 Jan 2015 April 2015

Level 2 Human Adventurer 

STR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 2

“There is only one way to learn. It’s through action. Everything you need to know you have learned through your journey.† ~The AlchemistPaulo Coelho

Today started off reasonably well with a my lifting day cut a little short by sleeping in after an intense weekend.  And will finish up well with karate. But somewhere in the middle I ate a big bag of Cadbury mini eggs before I started my challenge thread. :-( At least they're all gone and won't be there to mess me up tomorrow.

Squat 3x5 135

Shoulder Press 3x5 70
Power Clean 2x5 90
Pullup 2x1
Asst Pullup 2x4 

Current Challenge: 

Level 2 Human Adventurer 

“There is only one way to learn. It’s through action. Everything you need to know you have learned through your journey.† ~The AlchemistPaulo Coelho

Good run last night!  It was 60 degrees so I went for a tempo run outside. 2 miles at 10 min/mi, plus 1mi warmup and cool down, for a total of 4 miles at 10:50min/mi. Better on the diet, though I may have used the run as an excuse to eat some Samoas. 

Skipping karate tonight to cleanup before some house guests arrive this weekend, but going to lift before I head home from work. Diet is planned out to be on track for the day and I'm out of snacks at work, so it shouldn't get derailed.

Challenge for the rest of the week will be that I'm going to a training, so I'll be off my usual schedule and habits. Need to make it to the gym tomorrow night and after that it's dancing all weekend and need to not trash my diet.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

Level 2 Human Adventurer 

Hey Mevre! I bike to work and I love swimming, so I focus hard on running cause it's my weakest leg. I follow the intermediate 5k plan from Run Less, Run Faster. It cut my 5k from 32:30 down to 26:30 in 12 weeks the first time I used it, running just 3 days/week up to 14 mi/week. There's a bunch of tri plans online, but if you've never done one, check out http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/10wtp.pdf.  It covers training, transitions, technique, etc.

Well I fell off the wagon hard this past week, but I knew that might happen. Staying up til 5am dancing will have that effect on the rest of life. Haven't made it back to the gym yet, but did a couple of pull-ups on my way out the door and have karate tonight. Will run tomorrow and lift Friday and then restart my running plan from the beginning at a faster pace next week.  Ooo boy.

Stats from Monday:

Weight: 152.6     Fat Mass:  49.9

Current Challenge: 

Level 2 Human Adventurer 

Did 12.5 pull-ups yesterday (3x2.5 counts as 7.5 right?) ok fine, i did 11 pull-ups total after I got home from karate, including 1 set of 3.  The rest were all done in 2s. Woo!  And I had a good interval run this morning! Excited to kick the speed up a notch and dial back the distance starting over next week.

Diet....sigh. Always my challenge. I'm going to go have some carrots and hummus now. 

Current Challenge: 

Level 2 Human Adventurer 

Woo, bench PR!  105# all me, no help! Doing ok on diet today, gotta keep it up over the weekend at a wedding but I think I can do it!

Squat 3x5 135

Bench Press 3x5 105 (PR!)
Deadlift 3x5 180
Pullup 2x2 

Current Challenge: 

Level 2 Human Adventurer