Jenna's First 6 Week Challenge

Abaddon

Hey all, my name irl is Jenna and I am stoked to start this 6 week challenge. I subscribed to the Nerd Fitness newsletter a while back but never really participated until now. I told myself lest night that I needed to get really serious about eating clean and working out. Then, I got an email this morning about the new 6-week challenge. If that isn't a sign then, I don't know what is.

My main quest: Lose half of the 30 pounds I have gained while away at school. Eventually I would like to lose all 30 and then some but seeing as I am extremely out of shape right now, I will start sort of small.

SMART Quests:

1. Restart keeping track of what I eat on a daily basis by making better use of my calorie counter. My goal is 1500 a day with one cheat day to eat something extra to satisfy my sweet tooth.

2. Figure out a daily routine that will work with my schedule and get me to want to work out and exercise.

3. Find a way to learn to love running or find an alternative to it. I have just never been able to get into running and not enjoying it causes me to not want to ever do it. 

Life Quest: Be more social, meet new people, and come out of my shell a bit more.

My Motivation: Feel better about my body in general. I want to look in the mirror in the morning and feel good about myself, not want to wear baggy clothes to hide everything. I want to get ready to wear shorts and a bikini when I move to Texas, and not feel completely self-conscious about it.

• Like 4

Assassin in training

Level 0
STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

My Thread for Current 6-week Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/63680-jennas-first-6-week-challenge/

Starting Weight: 168 lbs. Starting BF: 22%

Goal Weight: 125 lbs.

"Do something instead of killing time because time is killing you."

Twitter:@jennabird96 Instagram: https://instagram.com/jenna_jent/

Hi Jenna!

Great goals, and I wish you all the best over the next 6 weeks!

Regarding alternatives to running, have you come up with something yet? I quite like running once I'm actually out there pounding the pavement, but I get injured if I do too much running, plus I find it difficult to motivate myself to get out of the house to do it! Daylight saving has just finished here in Australia, so coming home from work in the cold and dark makes it even less appealing.

Have you tried High Intensity Interval Training? I find it's a great way to get some fitness in on those days when I feel tired/cold/just-couldn't-be-bothered. I usually only do a 15 minute routine, but you can actually get pretty fit if you go all out during that 15 minutes, and minimise your rest periods. I found some really websites that offer free HIIT routines. If you're interested, let me know! Either way, hope you have a successful 6 weeks!

• Like 2

Meerkitten 

Level 2 Assassin 
Current challenge

"In wildness is the preservation of the world. So seek the wolf in thyself" - Metallica, Of Wolf and Man

Something I for got to add that Meerkitten reminded me of, I have no clue what I could use as an alternative to running. Any suggestions in that area or in what workouts might work best for me are greatly appreciated.

Assassin in training

Level 0

My Thread for Current 6-week Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/63680-jennas-first-6-week-challenge/

Hey there...looking forward to what people suggest for running alternatives for you. I personally hated running and didn't think I could ever be a runner...then I got ahold of some info on how to become a runner...I found the slower approach helped me learn to really love it. Being in my own space was really a nice escape from the world.

Best of luck on your goals!! 😊

• Like 1

Another idea...

I have actually managed to keep fit in the past by doing nothing more than walking. Find yourself a long, flight of stairs, or a steep hill, and walk up it as fast as you can manage. Catch your breath while you're walking back down, and then do it again a few more times. Increase the number of times you walk up the hill every few days. This is a great way to get fit without having to run - and you're less likely to get injured because it's a lot kinder to your joints (provided you walk slowly back down the hill, remember to take care of your knees).

• Like 2

Meerkitten 

Level 2 Assassin 
Current challenge

"In wildness is the preservation of the world. So seek the wolf in thyself" - Metallica, Of Wolf and Man

Another idea...

I have actually managed to keep fit in the past by doing nothing more than walking. Find yourself a long, flight of stairs, or a steep hill, and walk up it as fast as you can manage. Catch your breath while you're walking back down, and then do it again a few more times. Increase the number of times you walk up the hill every few days. This is a great way to get fit without having to run - and you're less likely to get injured because it's a lot kinder to your joints (provided you walk slowly back down the hill, remember to take care of your knees).

I live in an area that is actually extremely flat. I don't know of any decent sized hills around here. But, I do live on the 8th floor of my building. It sounds awful but I can try starting there. Or at least starting by going down the stairs from there. ;P Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

Assassin in training

Level 0

Made up a workout based on a personal, non-nerd inspiration, Jen Selter! Excited to push myself and really get started tomorrow!

My Workout plan, for curious minds:

Warmup:

10 push ups

30 crunches

30 squats

30 lunges

50 jumping jacks

60 sec wall sit

30 high knees

Repeat 2 more times

Cardio:

Stretch

60 jumping jacks

5 minute run

Butt/Legs:

30 lunges

30 jump squats

30 sec hold squat

25 squat hold with 10 pulses each

30 sumo squats

Plie squats (dumbell, kettleball, 3 sets of 15)

Abs:

30 crunches

20 cross crunches

20 oblique twists

20 leg lifts

20 mountain climbers

60 sec plank

Repeat 2-3 times

Stretch out

5 min treadmill run

Its a lot, I know. I plan on getting through everything once then working my way up to repeating multiple times.

On top of this, I'll be taking the stairs as often as possible. So very pumped to start this journey to a better, more fit, me.

• Like 1

Assassin in training

Level 0

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable? 

It's possible to do in a short time frame but more likely will happen over a longer period. It is reasonable for me, yes.

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on? 

Each of my side quests follow the SMART rules. They are all small quests that will aid me in eventually completing my main.

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?

They are realistic and are small enough that they will act as improvements to my daily life. They should not be too hard to make into habits.

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them? 

For one of my goals, I am using a physical tracker app on my phone and the others are measurable as well.

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?

They are mostly pass/fail with some leniency. My reward is feeling good about myself and how I look, not only after the challenge is over, but for the rest of my life. Develop habits and gain a better image of myself.

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?

We all hope injury and illness are not issues and I plan on taking the proper precautions to battle that. But in the event that it does happen I will alter my goals accordingly; for example: workouts would have to be severely altered but eating clean would be able to continue as normal.

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?

I did not take these into consideration but I am trying to develop life habits that should stand through any special event.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?

My goals are all separate things that may actually make the others easier overtime.

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?

I did not make time for this type of thing before but I am starting to make that time. Using less of my time watching Netflix and gaming will result in more time to level up in real life.

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest?

I am building multiple habits that aide my main quest towards completion.

Mini Quest 1: Completed!
  • Like 1

Assassin in training

Level 0

The walking stairs is a good tip.  You could for example stop 2-4floors short of your destination in the elevator & do the rest by foot.

Since i'm druid : Sun Salutations are flows that often take the pace of cardio.   I'm sure always glad i've got them behind me ;)

• Like 2

Nusuth Revamped

Current Challenge

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf 

Jon Kabat-Zinn

A quitter never wins and a winner never quits.

Napoleon Hill

nice challenge abaddon. i don't know of any alternatives to running.... biking maybe? swimming? just different types of cardio. as far as workout plans http://darebee.com/workouts.htmlhas some decent ones that are quite fun

gonna sub to your challenge and follow your journey.

i-request-the-highest-of-fives-himym.gif

• Like 1

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

Welcome to the Rebellion!  With your current goals and interests, you've attracted the attention of the Assassins' Guild.... but don't worry, I'm here in a supportive capacity!  Even if you ultimately don't join us, we'd love to help you along on your journey, and there are a lot of people working on goals similar to yours within our black-clad ranks...

If you think you might like to check us out, I hope you'll come by the Assassins' Den chat and say hello!  We're very welcoming killers-in-black, really.      ;)  You can also check out the Assassin Guild Info & Announcements for more info about what's going on with the guild.  We also have our handy Assassin Phonebook, which will allow you to find people who are working on similar skills to yours.  And though we may be the bodyweight guild, we're also a guild of extreme variety - we do a bit of everything!

Additionally, if you like what you see, I encourage you to go introduce yourself on the Level 1 Assassin Initiates Q&A/Chat thread as well!  There are a lot of fun people hanging out as they consider whether to join us - and you can make new friends, ask questions of guild leadership, post awesome gifs (we wouldn't be Assassins without gif parties) and more!  I hope to see you there soon.

If you ever need anything, feel free to PM me or catch my attention by quoting one of my posts.  Otherwise, I or one of my colleagues will be stopping by to check in on you and celebrate your successes as the challenge goes on.  Now get out there and crush those goals!

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Alternatives to running : sprints; run as fast as you can for 40s rest then repeat 6x; moutain climbers; burpees, kettlebell swings, BW circuits with minimal rest. Looks like the stuff your doing is already good cardio not really sure you need more in running.

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Hi Jenna,

How are you travelling with your first challenge?

Myself, after less than stellar progress on Goal 2 (losing fat around my waist) in my first week, I've decided to go back to calorie counting. I'm limiting myself to 1500 cals a day too, until I've gotten my tummy fat down to a manageable level, then I'll go up to 1700 cals/day and work on maintaining that. This has always worked for me in the past, so hopefully it will this time as well!

Best wishes!

Sarah Jane

Meerkitten 

Level 2 Assassin 
Current challenge

Been a while since you've updated. How's it going?

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien