So, here we are again. I took a much-needed break to get my head straight, and we're off again. BUT! I need your help!

NDsjyOQ.gif

I'm starting off another 6-week challenge a day late(Asia.....). So, here are my goals!

Main Goal:

It's more long-term than six weeks, but I gotta start somewhere. 

I'm heading back to the States to visit my family and friends this summer, and I'm going to look and feel fabulous. As far as this particular challenge, I will lose at least 5 kilos while maintaining the good health habits that I've built up along my break from six-week challenges.

tumblr_lz3o50yyqC1qbzqexo1_500.gif

I will do this in four parts:

1.) Go paleo.

- I'm not quite paleo now, so I think that by the start of week 4 I want to have levelled up my diet to paleo. This will force me to keep the sacrifices I've already made, and make the ones I've been too lazy to implement thus far.

2.) Maintain a workout/run schedule.

- Right now I'm about to start my third consecutive week of my workout schedule, as made by NF. I want to keep those up, doing bodyweight workouts 3x a week. I've also started the zombies5k to get back into running, as it was something I always really liked to do. I want to keep a steady running schedule of 3x a week. 

3.) Get flexin' 

In recent weeks my yoga practice has been sporadic at best, and usually non-existent. I'd like to add yoga into my routine 2x a week.

4.) Hydrate

Keep hydrated by drinking 3 liters of water each and every day.

Life goal:

Me time

It's time for me to put some real time into improving myself. Time to say "no" to netflix sometimes and do something much more productive. Whether it's reading a book, taking a walk, spending time on sketching or studying Korean, I will shut off the electronics for at least an hour 3x a week and do something productive outside of my normal workout schedule. (I'm adding that last clause so I don't start whinging and say my workouts are part of my "me" hour, haha)

I know that my goals are simple. They are somewhat ambitious for me, but if not now, then when? My life is changing for the better and my booty better get in gear. Spring has come and the excuses have gone out the door. 

Join me! Help me fight Legendary Laziness and give me the kick in the ass to get me up and running from those damn zombies. I promise I will post, good news or bad. 

A+gif+for+your+reaction+folder+my+reacti

• Like 2

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout
STR: 7 | DEX 2 | STA 8 | CON 9 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Hey!

Welcome to the Challenge.

SImple and straightforward goals? Sounds like that's exactly what you need and want.

I like how you paced the paleo. I've done that several times with things, knowing starting out with a bang in that area of my life was asking for trouble. Good call for you, I imagine.

Water! Water! I may have to join you!

Have a great week!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

For water I use an app called "Plant nanny." You keep a plant alive while drinking water! It's a great way to track for me.

And yes, the eventual paleo will happen. Right now I'm probably about 60% paleo anyway. Just going to take it slow.

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

So, here we are.

I finished my workout today and decided to go on my run even though I still have a bit of soreness in my hip from the hike this weekend. Bad ideas, Ares!

GIF-ideas.gif

So now my shins are in pain, my knees are a bit weak, and my hip feels surprisingly the same.

I shouldn't have done that. 

Luckily I didn't run very long or very fast. I just did as the zombies workout told me. 

Anyway, I'm hoping that maybe taking a couple days off will work. I'm definitely a bit fan of stretching right now. Feels so good....

Cat-Stretching-and-Yawning.gif

Now for a late dinner and getting ready for a long day tomorrow at work. I hate mid-terms as much as my students do.

• Like 1

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Good decision to follow the lead of a tired kitty.  :mushroom:

Do you have small therapy exercises you can do to strengthen/open up certain areas of your body?

Foam rolling might be really nice for you as well.

Feel better! *Be the kitty*

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

I don't have a foam roller, but I do crazy-long stretching after a run. 

My mistake was that I didn't do that after my crazy-long hike on Sunday after a night of heavy drinking. Thus, I hurt.

Another reminder that drinking is not great for you. Neither was my slip-up of having a few cigarettes after quitting for 53 days.

Geez, this is becoming a confessional.

tumblr_mpkjhpBEDY1qes485o1_500.gif

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Hey I hear you about Netflix (or Whatever else we watch ; )  )

it is wind down time for introverts, overwhelmed people etc

I try to get on my treadmill when I watch (like a rule)

Plus I have a lot of deadlines right now so I am panicking!!!!

What I find though.....I am hungry all the time ! I hope this subsides ; )

A lot of the time that hunger is thirst, or boredom, for me. When I get bored, I tend to snack. Not a great idea, but it happens sometimes. When I find myself getting to that space, I try to get up and do something physical. Sometimes it's just pent-up energy.

But yes to the netflix being an introvert's recharge point. After a day of teaching, netflix is what gets me back to normal and not feeling so frenetic and exhausted at the same time.

Today is the day of laziness! I didn't prep a lunch for today, so I threw together whatever was in my fridge. I haven't washed any dishes in a .....few days, so tonight will be the evening of The Great Washing!

• Like 1

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Alright, today was awesome. The Great Washing is done, along with the first round of laundry. Probably two more. 

My hip feels soooo much better after some great yoga sessions yesterday and today. I've planned a run tomorrow, but I'm not sure I'm up for it....also planning a hash for Saturday. Might just take it easy. Or do a short run. Oh! I can't decide. haha.

RunFerYourLife.gif

Tomorrow definitely has to have some me time, though. That's needed.

• Like 2

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

If you are interested in foam rolling any circular object will do. I understand the dishes thing mine sit until I need a particular dish or I get annoyed because I can't use my kitchen scale.

Subbing for A&S mini

• Like 2

Level 2 Bralani Eladrin

STR 2.5 | DEX 0 | STA 5.5 | CON 2.5 | WIS 4 | CHA 1

Challenge: 1, 2

Disciplining yourself to do what you know is right and important, although difficult, is the high road to pride, self-esteem, and personal satisfaction.

~Margaret Thatcher

Week one's workouts and runs are finito! I've finished almost three weeks of the NF bodyweight level 1 workouts. I decided since I started a new page on my logs, I'd up the ante. Now doing half full/half knee pushups, upped my planks to yoga planks to work on some shoulder strength, and made jumping jacks at minimum one minute. Squats are still squats right now, but more of them! Mwahaha!

I had NO IDEA that I'd feel this good after working out so early in the day. I mean, it's only 3:30pm now. I have the rest of the day to do stuff! (after a much-needed shower, anyway)

aGLH1qe.gif

Who can resist a Winchester? Not I...

I'm heading to a hash tomorrow and meeting a whole new group of people, which is good because being home alone all the time is making me waaaayyyy too comfortable with talking to myself in public.

My shoulders are starting to get pretty sore now....haha. Oh well. No mild discomfort-No mad gainz.

6bc.gif

• Like 3

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

If you want to resist that Winchester then watch Gilmore Girls. Although, if you watch it with the idea that he goes on to become his Winchester character, it's way better. 

milo-alexis.gifWinchester.gif

Just like Californication is Mulder going under deep cover. 

tumblr_me7ibkR2ji1rj9myxo1_500.giftumblr_msh1m4756q1ssmirro1_500.gif

TV universe is all one universe. Castle IS Captain Mal and the Hammer. 

XSeQQ2D.jpg3DfGAbb.giftumblr_mad8a4hnAK1r6aoq4o1_250.gif

It's just a fact.

• Like 2

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

STR 0 | DEX 0 | CON | STA 0 | WIS 0 |CHA 0 

Battlelog | NF Character Sheet Template 2.0 (stats system) | NF Character Sheet Template v3.0 (XP system)

(File > Make a Copy), enter your own details, track everything in one place. Please PM me if you have any questions or ideas. 

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. - Arthur C Clarke

being home alone all the time is making me waaaayyyy too comfortable with talking to myself in public.

Oh my dear god, yes! I'm way to comfy. And I walk dogs as part of my job so I can cover it by people thinking I'm talking to them. I have also, no lie here, been tempted to buy a blue tooth just so I can talk without apology or embarrassment!

Dr. Horrible, ftw!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

So, this weekend hasn't been the best food-wise. Just had a chicken burger, which was definitely not paleo. But other than that, my week has been great. 

Went to a hash yesterday morning. Met some cool people. Then a couple asked me to join them for a second hash. So, in grand tradition of saying "yes" more, I went! And I had an AMAZING time. Met some new people, ran a couple hashes, and discovered that shin splints suck. Ended up getting really drunk and staying in a hotel in Osan. haha

what to do about shin splints?

• Like 1

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

According to Dr Google, rest, ice, Advil/NSAIDS, ice + massaging for 20 mins a day...

Glad you had fun! Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet up with you.  

• Like 1

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

Battlelog | NF Character Sheet Template 2.0 (stats system) | NF Character Sheet Template v3.0 (XP system)

(File > Make a Copy), enter your own details, track everything in one place. Please PM me if you have any questions or ideas. 

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. - Arthur C Clarke

Maybe focus on arm stuff, planks, bodyweight stuff that you can do without your shins for this week? I got terrible shin splints when I did couch25k and it really throws a spanner in the works, but IT WILL PASS.

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

But my runs.........are my favorite part. Of course, it's better to rest now before it gets worse. I guess I'll be skipping runs and jump rope for at least a few days. I'm hoping it lasts less than a week, though, 'cause I don't want to miss the hash this weekend.

Anyways, the re-cap this week:

paleo days: 4/7

Workouts/runs: 3/3

Yoga: 1/2 (I'm not sure why I didn't get both in. Being super lazy today.....because hangover)

hydration: 6/7 (yesterday was pretty much just beer....)

Me time: 3/3

I'm calling this a win for this week. I could've done better, yes, but a majority of days paleo is better than none. I got all my workouts in. Just shouldn't drink so much. haha. But hey, did two hashes on Saturday, made some new friends, and had a ton of fun. 

On to week two!!!!

• Like 1

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Yeah....I'm just taking a rest from running today.

I feel awful and restless, but I know it's better to rest now than injure myself further. So now I'm working on strengthening the muscles in my shin, stretching my calves, working on ankle balance with some extra yoga, and using some good ol' ice and massage techniques to get my muscles all smoothed out.

Stupid shins. 

• Like 1

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Alright, truth time. This is going to be long, and truthfully depressing, probably. There is a TL;DR at the end if you'd like to skip to that.

Yesterday, I woke up like I do on all my Mondays, after pressing snooze a couple times. I went to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, and stepped on the scale to do my weekly weigh-in.

I....gained.....half a kilo.

I shrug it off and say to myself, "It's just water retention from drinking so much this weekend. Just flush with a bunch of water today and you'll be fine."

I went on to do my measurements, because as I've been told before, the scale is a dirty liar. Unfortunately, that didn't make me feel any better. I gained half an inch around my waist, a quarter inch on my hip, and a half inch in my thigh. Good lord.

I tried to keep telling myself it was just bloat, and that it'd be over after a good day of water drinking. I spent my day relaxing mostly, to heal my shin splints. I did a short workout, leaving out anything with lower body impact. It didn't quite feel satisfactory, but I moved, at least. I went on to do some yoga, some shin muscle strengthening exercises, and decided that it was good enough for the day since I decided not to go running for a few days.

Then the evening happened. My self-esteem started to plummet as that half kilo swirled around my head like my own personal storm cloud. A started to slump my shoulders with the weight of it. I figured I'd snap out of it by doing one of my favorite activities: cooking. Meal prep needed to happen for the week anyway. The half kilo kept bugging me all evening. I fell into a restless sleep, waking frequently all night. It didn't help that Tuesday is my day that starts at 4am. 

I wake up after not sleeping much, and do my morning routine. I decide to check the scale again, just to see if my water flush worked, and there it was. That half kilo, plus some. Now my head is in a cycle of beating myself up for gaining weight, as well as not being willing to push through some pain to workout harder. 

I know this isn't very healthy thinking, but I can't seem to snap out of it. I keep trying to tell myself that it's just a half kilo, hardly anything at all. Weight fluctuates naturally, most especially for women. 

I just want to lose this weight so badly. I want to do it in a permanent, stable, safe way, but seeing that half kilo has nearly killed my drive.

I think I also just really hate that I can't go running to get my endorphin fix. Now that I've rediscovered my love for running, I don't want to stop!

Ugh. What do you do when you get to this spot? What kicks you out of it? 

TL;DR- Gained half a kilo and the world is ending. What to do?

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Keep calm. Stick with the good habits. Don't weigh yourself for a week.

• Like 1

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger