BarefootDawsy Is Waiting For Vizzini

I am waiting for you, Vizzini! You told me to go back to the beginning... so I have. This is where I am, this is where I'll stay. I will not be moved!

It's hard to believe that it's been over 5 years since I joined the Rebellion. When I first started out, I was a pudgy, overtired new dad, who hadn't done any exercise in 10 years. A pair of Vibram Five Fingers later, and I was up and running...though probably not how you'd imagine.

When I first started out, I didn't have any idea about getting into shape. I tried a bit of running, a bit of bodyweight training, and a few other bits and pieces. What I ended up enjoying the most though was....lifting weights. That's right, for a brief six month period all those years ago, I was deadlifting, squatting, and even power cleaning. And I enjoyed the hell out of it.

The boards were smaller back then. We used to group up into randomly assigned teams and compete against one another for fun. As luck would have it, my first (4 week) challenge  I was teamed up with a ridiculously fit Kiwi who did weighted dips for breakfast, and a mad Viking girl who was somehow improving her stats day by day and could already lift me over head if she so chose. (I think Spezzy could do that with 2 of me now!). Heady days they were.

It wasn't to last though...A move, an expired gym membership and a 100km hike later, and I had somehow morphed from a pumped up Warrior to a barefooted Scout.

I've loved running, and it's been a lot of fun, but for the past couple of years now, I've only managed it sporadically. I think a lot of it has to do with being time-poor, so the 2 hour runs I'd become accustomed to ground down to an hour, then half an hour, then once a week. We moved countries several times, had another child, and before you know it, I'd gained back 15kg and was as lethargic and unfit as I was way back in 2010.

Which brings me to today. Today, like a certain drunk Spaniard, I am going back to the beginning. I've managed to wrangle a trial gym membership and I'm going to start lifting weights again. (Please please please don't tell @Endor or @Yuen - they'll never let me live it down!)

And so, here are my modest, but huge goals for this challenge:
  • LIFT!: I'm off to the gym to start lifting again. I'm going to focus on Squats, Deadlift and Overhead Press to start, with pullups and rows for desert. Once I'm in the swing of things, I'll ultimately add in Power Cleans and Benchpress.
  • Stop being sick: I've got the flu right now, so I'm on bed rest and OJ for at least another week. I'm hoping to start the proper training on Monday next week. In the meantime, I'm going to focus on my third goal...
  • Sleep: Lack of sleep is arguably the #1 reason why I have failed many of my most recent challenge attempts. This has got to stop. So for the next 6 weeks, and hopefully beyond, I'm going to get a minimum of 56 hours sleep per week. This will hopefully be in the form of 8 hours per night, but if not I'll supplement with naps as needed. 10:30 bedtimes for me - yay!

I... am not left-handed.

• Like 1

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander

Scout - Level 7

Ah I knew the Puny Scout jibes would get him eventually :lol:

I really want to see you succeed at this, I'm subbing and asking you publicly to be consistent. I don't care if you lift big weights or not just go to the gym and lift, no excuses, put it first. Even if you only commit to 1 day a week, do it. Please.

• Like 1

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Current Challenge (Jan 2021)

Ah I knew the Puny Scout jibes would get him eventually [emoji38]

I really want to see you succeed at this, I'm subbing and asking you publicly to be consistent. I don't care if you lift big weights or not just go to the gym and lift, no excuses, put it first. Even if you only commit to 1 day a week, do it. Please.

Twas the Please that caught my memory. Good night, good work. I'll most likely kill you in the morning.

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander

Scout - Level 7

OK start so far. I stayed up a little later than I probably should have last night, but Wedneday's a bit of a sleep in day, so I managed 7.5 hours sleep. The kids were good too, so no interruptions, which is a big bonus.

Today I found one of my old exercise journals from when I first started with weights...looks like I got to 70kg squats, 50kg power clean, 60kg bench press and 45kg press...most of these are 3 x 5 sets, so not sure what my 1RM was for each, Wish I had kept it up in the journal...I had swapped out to using my smartphone shortly thereafter, which has long since died and lost the data.

Pretty cool though. It will be interesting to see how I stack up come Monday...might be a bit too embarrassed to post my initial results, but we'll see...

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander

Scout - Level 7

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/04/16/maya-ss/

"most importantly, show up. Show up every day. You’re going to have bad days and sad days and painful days, but tenacity will get you everywhere. I promise. Just keep showing up and trust the process, and someday, you will look down and realize you’ve climbed higher than you ever believed possible."

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/04/16/maya-ss/

"most importantly, show up. Show up every day. You’re going to have bad days and sad days and painful days, but tenacity will get you everywhere. I promise. Just keep showing up and trust the process, and someday, you will look down and realize you’ve climbed higher than you ever believed possible."

Stop motivating me! It's making it very hard to quit.

• Like 1

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander

Scout - Level 7

What lifts are you planning for your gym session tomorrow?

Are you excited?

Actually, yes, I'm really excited! I'm still sick, but am still going to go. I've been looking forward to it.

Tomorrow's going to be about working out where I'm at, so I'll do a 1RM for squats, dead lift and overhead press. I'm going to start with a simple routine for a couple of weeks of alternating squats/dead lift and squats/press.

Once I've got my form back I'll mix in bench press and power cleans. Time permitting, I'll also take advantage of the bars to do some pull ups and rows.

What do you think of the plan?

• Like 1

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander

Scout - Level 7

Two thumbs up from me!

Your final exercise plan is pretty comprehensive for the major compound lifts:

Horizontal push = bench, pull = row

Vertical push = OHP, pull = pull ups

Legs = squats

Posterior chain = deadlifts

I have different preferences for my favourite exercises I'd start with (pull ups :) ), but that's just me and I realise you have different favourite exercises.

I think the main thing is you are excited by your upcoming return to lifting. Keeping your gym sessions as something you look forward to is pretty important imo  :)

• Like 1

Actually, yes, I'm really excited! I'm still sick, but am still going to go. I've been looking forward to it.

Tomorrow's going to be about working out where I'm at, so I'll do a 1RM for squats, dead lift and overhead press. I'm going to start with a simple routine for a couple of weeks of alternating squats/dead lift and squats/press.

Once I've got my form back I'll mix in bench press and power cleans. Time permitting, I'll also take advantage of the bars to do some pull ups and rows.

What do you think of the plan?

Good plan, keep it simple for now. Be careful with your 1RM tests, stop a little bit before failure if you are on your own, remember you haven't lifted in a long time so expect theses to be quite a bit lower than your previous numbers.

Have fun, looking forward to hearing how you go.

• Like 1