BarefootDawsy Is Waiting For Vizzini

I have to be a bit careful still with my wrist it's not 100% and 7 mins of burpees is going to kill it, didn't think of that beforehand :nightmare:

Tell you what, I'll let you do yours 1 handed, OK?

I've never had to queue. But I've also never gone at 6:30pm - which I presume is prime time.

I didn't mean an ultra serious 1RM test. I was thinking a light hearted 1RM :) Although - is 1hour gym from 6:30pm to 7:30pm (then add food afterwards) too long for you guys?

That works for me

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander

Scout - Level 7

I've never had to queue. But I've also never gone at 6:30pm - which I presume is prime time.

I didn't mean an ultra serious 1RM test. I was thinking a light hearted 1RM :) Although - is 1hour gym from 6:30pm to 7:30pm (then add food afterwards) too long for you guys?

I'm booked into a room in someone's house down the road on airbnb so I have no time limit at all ;)

Conveniently this is the day after the challenge when my Paleo commitment has run out and Old Speckled Hen is back on the menu :D

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Current Challenge (Jan 2021)

Sounds like we have a plan!

Start by hopefully grab the olympic lifting platform (otherwise there are 3 other power racks and 1 squat rack)

Squats: Form checks/critique starting low then working up to a pseudo-1RM

Deadlifts: same thing

Usually lots of free benches:

Bench Press: same thing

You burpee-mad idiots smash yourselves doing a 7min AMRAP, while I smash myself doing my usual weighted chin up pyramid on my lonesome :).

I reckon that would take about 1h 15m.

Then steak :)

Sounds like we have a plan!

Start by hopefully grab the olympic lifting platform (otherwise there are 3 other power racks and 1 squat rack)

Squats: Form checks/critique starting low then working up to a pseudo-1RM

Deadlifts: same thing

Usually lots of free benches:

Bench Press: same thing

You burpee-mad idiots smash yourselves doing a 7min AMRAP, while I smash myself doing my usual weighted chin up pyramid on my lonesome :).

I reckon that would take about 1h 15m.

Then steak :)

Hmm always seem to end up with powerlifting, I'll suck it up for now but next meet we'll go to a box and laugh at Yuen trying to do Metcon :P

I'll probably stop a fair way short of my 1RM's, I'm super cautious at the moment after such a long road back from injury. As for scoring, we should use Wilks for the scoring to make it fair. In fact we should just straight out steal the warriors rules for their powerlifting meetups.

"You get three attempts in squat, three attempts in bench press, and three attempts in dead lift, in that order"

I think we might need you to ref......I reckon paying for your steak dinner is worth you no repping Dawsy about 10 times ;)

So another week of being sick is drawing to a close. Doc says if I still have it next week it's Tamiflu time. Ugh. Good news is that I dragged my sick butt to the gym today and got all signed up for a proper big-boy membership. Wifey and I are going to take advantage of the cheap childcare they offer and hit the gym tomorrow morning, phlegm-permitting.

I wanna watch CBeebies

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander

Scout - Level 7

OK so it looks like just sitting around and waiting for this flu to go is not working out, so I've decided to figure out something I can do to keep up with my goals and get fit despite it. To this end, Iv'e come up with a new way to exercise - the 7 minute challenge!

Basically how it works, is every day, I'm going to do seven minutes of exercise that doesn't involve cardio (which invariably sets off extreme coughing fits). If I keep my heart rate down, it seems like I can carry on doing it. The 7 minutes is there for me to get used to the timing of the upcoming burpee PvP that @Endor and I will be doing at the end of this challenge.

The theory is that I can exercise the muscles that I need for the challenge now, and hopefully can do some HIIT/Burpees later on to up the cardio aspect. 

I've started today with 7 minutes of wall pushups. I chose these as a relatively simple exercise to test if the theory works, and, let me tell you, after 7 minutes of pushups, the arms and chest are feeling it. I'll aim do do something else tomorrow, and progress the pushups down to the ground until I get better.

No more sulking and being reactive...time to take the reigns.

dbb28f7d3415e98b08c9564824db9b021300edd3

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander

Scout - Level 7

Day 2 of the 7 minute workout program complete! Today I went with slow bodyweight squats..2 seconds down, 2 seconds up, 2 seconds rest, for 7 minutes = 70 squats. No coughing, and a healthy burn in my legs.

I think I'm onto something...7 minutes is very achievable, and doing exercises slowly and deliberately, with a little recovery time between each makes for low impact, low heart rate exercising. Still looking forward to some HIIT down the track, but for now, this is beating the hell out of doing nothing.

7-minute-abs1.jpg

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander

Scout - Level 7

Two big thumbs up for your minimum 7 minutes a day exercise routine.

I do something very similar, and have been for well over a year now. I do go to the gym 1-2 a week for longer periods (~45mins). But minimum 5-10 minutes per day is spent doing bodyweight stuff. No travel time. No excuses. If you then make your exercises follow a progression (slow progression but present) then you get some nice gradual long-term-maintainable gains :)

• Like 1

Gym day today. I decided to start bench pressing today, so from now on I'll alternate Squat/Press and Bench/Deadlift days.

Bench was pretty light mainly because it's without bars or a spotter, but there were a fair few folks around, so I figured why not. 

Bench:

• 3 x 20
  • 3 x 30
  • 5 x 40 x 3 *PR!

Deadlift:

• 5 x 40
  • 5 x 60
  • 5 x 70
  • 5 x 80 x 2
  • 5 x 85 *PR!

I'm already at where I left off in my old book on deadlift now, and have officially deadlifted my bodyweight :D Ooh and I get to add up my Big 3 score now since I'm actually doing all 3...looks like 50kg + 40kg + 85kg = 175kg = 385 lbs. I'll take that..nearly at the 400 club already ;)

Very pleased with how this is going.

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander

Scout - Level 7

Gym day today. I decided to start bench pressing today, so from now on I'll alternate Squat/Press and Bench/Deadlift days.

Bench was pretty light mainly because it's without bars or a spotter, but there were a fair few folks around, so I figured why not. 

Bench:

• 3 x 20
  • 3 x 30
  • 5 x 40 x 3 *PR!

Deadlift:

• 5 x 40
  • 5 x 60
  • 5 x 70
  • 5 x 80 x 2
  • 5 x 85 *PR!

I'm already at where I left off in my old book on deadlift now, and have officially deadlifted my bodyweight :D Ooh and I get to add up my Big 3 score now since I'm actually doing all 3...looks like 50kg + 40kg + 85kg = 175kg = 385 lbs. I'll take that..nearly at the 400 club already ;)

Very pleased with how this is going.

Hmm, I'm surprised at your numbers already, this was unexpected....

Still sick, of course, and had to take the day off exercise yesterday as I felt like death and had some pretty full-on DOMS from my first bench press session. Now that my body remembers that those muscles exist, I'm hoping that will be the worst of it done.

To drive home the point, I did counter pushups today for 7 minutes...1 every 6 seconds for 7 minutes = 70 pushups. Only a couple of coughs, and my heartrate was pretty unaffected, which is good.

I think next 7 minute pushup session will be full pushups, and hopefully then, I can get to work on proper burpees finally.

Looking forward to Squat/Press day tomorrow :D

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander

Scout - Level 7

Gym day today - Squats and Press

Apart from a minor coughing fit at the end of my squats session, it went really well:

Press

• 20 x 5
  • 25 x 5 x 2
  • 30 x 5
  • 35 x 5 PR!

Squats

• 25 x 5
  • 30 x 5
  • 40 x 5
  • 50 x 5
  • 55 x 5 x 3 PR!

So, another good session, and another couple of PRs. I put it more down to feeling a bit better than anything else, but it's great to see gains each time I'm in the gym so far. Feeling good!

Another 5kg onto my Big 3 score, brings me to 180kg (396lbs)...so close to 400 now!

• Like 1

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander

Scout - Level 7

Deadlift day today :) Finally managed to get off to the gym this arvo. Didn't get the numbers I'd hoped for, but I put it down to being tired after a long weekend of nursing sick/non-sleeping kids.

Here are the number:

Deadlift

• 5 x 40kg
  • 5 x 60kg
  • 5 x 80kg x 3

Bench

• 5 x 20 x 2
  • 5 x 30 x 2
  • 5 x 40
  • 3 x 40
  • 2 x 40
  • Like 1

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander

Scout - Level 7

Deadlift day today :) Finally managed to get off to the gym this arvo. Didn't get the numbers I'd hoped for, but I put it down to being tired after a long weekend of nursing sick/non-sleeping kids.

Kudos for going, very pleasing ;)

How's your lurgy going? Feeling any better?

If i were you I'd be considering a second opinion, seems odd to me to be sick that long.

My neck is farked. Sadly i think the pvp is unlikely, we might have to postpone for the end of the next challenge instead.

If i were you I'd be considering a second opinion, seems odd to me to be sick that long.

My neck is farked. Sadly i think the pvp is unlikely, we might have to postpone for the end of the next challenge instead.

Poor bastard, I hope it starts improving soon.

I think you may be right about the PvP...best to doing when we're both tiptop.

The doc did a full work up with swabs and blood, but the verdict is a nasty flu. He reckons that I'm not resting enough, which seems about right...parenting is hard :) plus Wifey and I are both doing uni part time ATM, so I probably have too much on my plate. Semester is over mid-june, so if I'm not right by then, I should be better shortly thereafter. Still...sux.

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander

Scout - Level 7