Trizza - Scout Class Level 0

Trizza

Introduction:  Hi I am Trizza and this is my first challenge.  I am a big running Nerd and I train mainly from thaw to freeze in the New England region. I have four kids who keep me busy and tired and work a standard 8-4 work day. I would like to improve my running as well as gain some strength (I'm not good at sticking with this) and improve my endurance. 

Main Quest:  Run a 1 hour 50 minute half marathon this year, my first chance is May 24 at the Boston Run To Remember Half.

Quest 1: Stop running until my calf heals. I have overtrained and pulled/strained my calf. It's REALLY hard for me not to run right now, but if I don't it will get worse. My first Half is in 6 weeks so this is tough to do, but I must let it heal.

Measurement: A = Skip one week training, B = skip 4 days running, C = run on Friday (3 days skipping normal Wed run)

Quest 2: Less Snacking. I eat fairly well and I track my eating, but I have been slow to lose the last few pounds to get to my running weight (170, currently 177). I would like to cut out the snacks or at least resort to healthier fruit/veggie options.

Measurement: A = Eliminate Junk Snacks, B = average 1 junks snack a day, C = more than 1 junk snack a day

Quest 3: 20 pushups /day before watching any TV at night.  I've been doing Insanity before I returned to running, but that is to cardio intense for my rest days from running. I really was gaining good strength though and would like to keep that.

Measurement: A = 20 pushups/day; B = 15 pushups/day, C = 10 pushups/day

Life Quest: Pay off $2,000 of CC debt and start learning to live without them. I currently have more than $14,000 in CC debt and would like to eliminate it and use cash from now on or payoff rewards card monthly.

Measurement: A = Less than $12,000 left and no bills paid with cards, B = more than $12,000 left , but all bills paid in cash, C = all bills paid with cash

Motivation:  I want to be a healthy and financially stable father for my family. I'd also like to eventually enter some skills of Monks and Assassins into my challenges, but for now want to establish myself as the best scout I can be.

Trizza the Padawan Scout - Level 2

STR 3/DEX 1/STA 5/CON 3/WIS 5/CHA 1

Epic Quest Challenges: #1 #2

MyFitnessPal/Strava/@troypatterson/Athlinks

"Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose"- Yoda

Reach goal running weight (170 lbs) - Reached and held for a full week so far!

100%
100%

Run 458 Miles to Rivendell in 2015

60%
60%

MiniQuest #1

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable? I have run this pace before, with the injury I might not do it at the end of six weeks, but it should be soon.

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on? Not all quests are directly related to goal, but in part help. I don't think they are to much.

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them? This is a realistic goal based on my running ability and not to big.

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them? I am going to track these goals using HabitRPG as well as MyFitnessPal and Strava.

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€? I am grading the last two at 3 weeks and completion and the first after one week.

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured? Part of these goals are healing related. I doubt the others would be hampered in this case unless I hurt my chest muscles.

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those? â€‹I like to run on holidays and workout, but family visiting this weekend maybe a hindrance.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another? I see no conflicts.

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them? I have plenty of time for these.

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest? Not all are main quest directly, but all influence each other somewhat.

100%
100%

60%
60%

So today is test number one. A normal running day, but I must avoid. I wrapped my calf with an ace bandage and took some ibuprofen. It's feeling better, but still thinking a week's rest will be the best thing for my race on May 24th.

100%
100%

60%
60%

I've started to change my outlook on the final side quest. I'm able to do 20 pushups a day and so it's just a reminder to do them. I'm not going to change the side quest as it's still something I want, but I plan to add to the workout on my non running days with a short workout based on the NF Star Wars workout.

So each day I will do 20 pushups and at leats 60 seconds of plank, but add in Tues/Thurs/Sat doing essentially the Star Wars workout with limited leg work while my calf heals.

100%
100%

60%
60%

Good luck! I hear you on the not-running-while-healing thing; I had shin splits for like 1.5 years because I wouldn't ever let them fully go AWAY. Now I still have to be careful because my shins will start to twinge if I push too hard.

And even MORE good luck on that life quest! This year I started as The Year Without Credit Cards, and it's hard but after 3 months I'm finally getting used to not being able to buy stuff if I don't have the money available. I'm working on getting rid of all my debt too! SOLIDARITY

Yeah I used the rewards for monthly things like bills to get some cash back and would pay it off right away, but that made us likely to use it for other things which would seem hidden until paying off. That then left us less to payoff the 0% interest cards early and get rid of them.  This is the year though! 

100%
100%

60%
60%

So here is the true challenge. I woke up today and felt good. Did about 1-2 minutes of foam rolling on my back (from handstands yesterday and hangs) and then my calf. Afterwards I could definitely feel the "soreness", but not sure if it's better enough to run today. If I don't run today my next run would be a long run on Sunday.  I wrapped it and took some ibuprofen. I've already reached my C grade by not running on Wed. It's just so hard to skip running with just over 5 weeks until my half marathon.

Both other goals have been going great this week with a full body weight workout yesterday and I have eaten very clean as well. My biggest "cheat" yesterday was some on my kids Kix cereal with whole milk and bananas last night as my after dinner snack. It fit my calories for the day and was quite enjoyable so no regrets.

100%
100%

60%
60%

So I went running and it was overall pretty good. I still felt a light soreness, but nothing really painful or "dangerous" I don't think.  This falls as a C in my quest, but I think overall it was a good thing.  My next run is on Sunday for a long 9-10 miles and I think I might switch to my old worn out shoes for that one. I think part of the blame is wearing my new shoes starting last Wed for all of my runs without rotating them. If I can rotate for the next week I should feel much better by the end of this.

100%
100%

60%
60%

Well best day so far. Although last night did include a trip out with the family for ice cream I ran 10 miles today with no calf pain. It was for sure the to sudden switch in shoes. I used my old shoes and ran great. Now the test is to rotate in my new shoes and limit any injury.

100%
100%

60%
60%

One Week Update:

Main Quest: I have run my first 10 mile run this weekend with no pain. I completed it at my "long run" pace of about 9 min/mile. That would put me at 2 hours for a half marathon and I should have no problem shaving 10 minutes off my time when I am actually racing.

Quest 1: I only lasted 3 days before training again, but when I switched to my old shoes the pain was non existent. I feel the calf pain was more due to my to quick shoe switch and not so much overtraining. I will make sure to continue to rotate shoes.

Quest 2: Being home for Patriots day yesterday resulted in extra snacking, but all last week I was able to limit or eliminate snacking.

Quest 3: I have done the 20 pushups each night and my form has gotten much better with bring my chest completely to the floor. I continue to add some plank time at the end and 1-3 times a week I am adding a modified Star Wars Workout for body weight cross training.

Life Quest: I have made my monthly payment for the account I payoff each month, but I was not counting that toward the goal. Essentially after one week in the challenge I am wear I wanted to "start". My balances are around $14,500 and I would need to reach $12,500 to complete the goal.

I have also completed both mini quests 1 & 2.

100%
100%

60%
60%

Been two days since I last updated. The running is going fine...the only issue is one I often deal with. GO SLOWER! I'm going to wind up hurting myself if I don't but instead of running 8:30-9:30 min/mile I speed up and finish in the 7:30-8:00 min/mile range. It's fine as a planned speed day, but I did it twice this week and have a test 5K this weekend to set a goal for my half marathon.  Any way I have an easy 3 today to just get going and demand that I run in the 27 minutes range for the distance!

I've been allowing myself one junk food a day at most and most days it's been an ice cream sandwich, but based on MFP I've been at my target for a week straight and often once you account for the running I've been below target (I'm only aiming at 1 lb/week loss so the extra should not be to severe)

100%
100%

60%
60%

Second week completed and all systems go so far. I completed my first race of 2015 with a 5K in a PR time of 22:09. Beating my best time ever of 23:09 that I ran way back in 2003.

Using the McMillan Calculator that estimates my Half Marathon time at 1:42:33 which would beat my 1:50 goal as well as my 1/2 PR of 1:44:16.  I won't hold myself to that, but plan on using my new Polar M400 watch like I did at this race to keep a very good eye on my pace to avoid burning out early.

As for my quests: I continue to feel a slight nagging in my calf and will continue to rotate shoes to improve.

I did really poorly eating this weekend and snacking was up. There was a birthday party and junk left at our house. I also do worse at home then during the week at work where I can isolate myself from most of the junk and I have a bit more willpower at work.

I have continued to do my pushups and added a Daily Yoga routine at night to help stretch myself to improve my running.

Lastly I will be making strides on the Life quest starting this week through 5/15 to reach that goal.

100%
100%

60%
60%

Last night I did my first Beginner Bodyweight exercise routine from r/bodyweightfitness. I'm really hoping this leads to better results with handstands as well.  This is stepping up my final quest from just push-ups every night to bodyweight workouts 3x week to partner with my running and light yoga. I won't be doing anymore 20 pushups everynight, but instead this workout 3x week instead as my final quest.

100%
100%

60%
60%

Introduction:  Hi I am Trizza and this is my first challenge.  I am a big running Nerd and I train mainly from thaw to freeze in the New England region. I have four kids who keep me busy and tired and work a standard 8-4 work day. I would like to improve my running as well as gain some strength (I'm not good at sticking with this) and improve my endurance. 

Main Quest:  Run a 1 hour 50 minute half marathon this year, my first chance is May 24 at the Boston Run To Remember Half.

Quest 1: Stop running until my calf heals. I have overtrained and pulled/strained my calf. It's REALLY hard for me not to run right now, but if I don't it will get worse. My first Half is in 6 weeks so this is tough to do, but I must let it heal.

Measurement: A = Skip one week training, B = skip 4 days running, C = run on Friday (3 days skipping normal Wed run)

Quest 2: Less Snacking. I eat fairly well and I track my eating, but I have been slow to lose the last few pounds to get to my running weight (170, currently 177). I would like to cut out the snacks or at least resort to healthier fruit/veggie options.

Measurement: A = Eliminate Junk Snacks, B = average 1 junks snack a day, C = more than 1 junk snack a day

Quest 3: 20 pushups /day before watching any TV at night.  I've been doing Insanity before I returned to running, but that is to cardio intense for my rest days from running. I really was gaining good strength though and would like to keep that.

Measurement: A = 20 pushups/day; B = 15 pushups/day, C = 10 pushups/day

Life Quest: Pay off $2,000 of CC debt and start learning to live without them. I currently have more than $14,000 in CC debt and would like to eliminate it and use cash from now on or payoff rewards card monthly.

Measurement: A = Less than $12,000 left and no bills paid with cards, B = more than $12,000 left , but all bills paid in cash, C = all bills paid with cash

Motivation:  I want to be a healthy and financially stable father for my family. I'd also like to eventually enter some skills of Monks and Assassins into my challenges, but for now want to establish myself as the best scout I can be.

When I started the new year I was at $14,000 as well... I don't know how I did it but I am down to $8,600. But I know that my fun time is walking or running or hiking. 

Level 7 Hobbit Scout
STR: 9.2 | DEX: 7.2 | CON: 14 | STA: 15.15 | WIS: 16.7 | CHA: 12.7

I've been all over the world. Except Asia, Africa, and South America. - Coach McGuirk
My Bio My Blog Current Challenge

I was lower last year, but we needed a furnace before winter and that brought us back up :-(

My plan is to have it all done by next summer and then start working on remaining student loan debt, which is at a fairly low interest rate and why I'm leaving it for last.

100%
100%

60%
60%

Another good day. I ran 4.3 miles yesterday and did a good amount of hills during that. One at the 2 mile mark really kicked my butt and took some time to recover after, but still averaged an 8:30 min/mlie for the run as a whole.

I forgot my fitness watch today so won't be able to track my activity today, which is a bit disappointing. I also have a test on junk food with taking my oldest daughter to see Avengers tonight with a friend of hers. We are having fuddruckers for dinner (It's in the movie theater center we are going to) and temptation of Movie theater snacks. I think I'll do all right on the dinner portion, but will need strength at the theater.

100%
100%

60%
60%

Yesterday was pretty much a loss, but one I feel I can recover from.

I forgot my activity tracker at home in the morning and felt naked without it all day. It wasn't a running day for me so I ran some errands at lunch and ate a light healthy lunch, but I was taking my oldest daughter to the movies last night to see Avengers and we had dinner out before and I was unable to stop from ordering the burger and then had some twizzlers at the movies after that.  The good news is I wasn't up today and the better news was I still tracked everything in MFP even though MFP then told me I would weight 6 pounds more in 5 weeks if I ate like this every day.

Today is a running day so it's time to get back on the road and I plan on 5 miles during lunch. This weekend I also have a 10-11 mile long run planned. The biggest issues might be having to come into work. That always messes with my schedule on the weekends.

100%
100%

60%
60%

qde8mP7.gif

Three weeks completed! I have officially reached level one Padawan Scout. So based on the Recruit level I also have 10 points of stats to role out.  Based on my work I think I will break it down as follows:

1. Goal allocation:

Q1: Heal my calf = 2 CON

Q2: Cut Back on Snacking = 1 DEX & 2 STA

Q3: 20xpushups then 3xweek bodyweight = 2 STR & 1 STA

LQ: Payoff $2,000 in CC Debt = 2 WIS

2. Mid Challenge Summary:

Q1: Took off for three days and solved injury with rotating shoes = B (85%)

Q2: Only had one or two weak days on the weekend = B (80%)

Q3: Did pushups everyday until new plan...3xweek done so far = A (100%)

LQ: No Debt paid yet, but allocated money set in savings, will pay in the next two weeks to goal $12,000 = B (80%)

3. Challenge allocation:

Q1: B (85%) = 1.7 CON

Q2: B (80%) = 0.8 DEX & 1.6 STA

Q3: A (100%) = 2 STR & 1 STA

LQ: B (80%) = 1.6 WIS

4. Signature:

STR 2 | STA 3 | DEX 1 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 0

100%
100%

60%
60%

Last night was tough to get off my butt as I had a beer on the deck and read my book, but I got up and did my bodyweight and stretching. I felt good afterwards, but the beer did not sit well in my stomach.

I think I'll be saving those calories for something healthier next time.

100%
100%

60%
60%

I've really ignored my first quest since the first week, but I've been paying very close attention to my calf when I run. There have been some times I wonder if it's still sore or perhaps I notice any pain, but overall I think it's just normal aches from training.

I had a great day yesterday avoiding snacks and even when my dinner plans fell apart I stayed strong and found a replacement.

Yesterday was a running day and so no bodyweight work, but put in a solid 5 miles during lunch at work.

I'm starting to believe that I can not only break 1:50 on the half marathon, but maybe challenge my PR of 1:44

100%
100%

60%
60%

I completely forgot about the stat points! Great reminder! 

Nice progress! Your willpower sounds like it's pretty tough - coping with failed dinner plans can really throw a wrench in the situation. 

Level 2 - Human Mage Adventurer

STR: 2 ~ DEX: 0 ~ STA: 3 ~ CON: 1 ~ WIS: 2 ~ CHA: 2

Hey, it's great value for the mana.

Current quest: Fat Mage Slimmer

Fic Blog (Pseudo Dragon Age: Inquisition Fan Fic about the fitness journey): Fat Mage Slim

Progress Toward Weight Loss Goal

In another situation it would have been worse, but what happened was my wife and I ordered a LARGE chili from a local food shop. They asked if she wanted cheese on it and she said sure (I mean who doesn't want cheese).

When I got home I found what amounted to a small cup of chili that was maybe two cups, but it was close and surely not enough for two people (even eating healthy). Then we opened it and it turns out cheese=cheese whiz. Just a big dollop of whiz right in the middle. Once we scooped that out it was about a cup left and I had lost my interest in that.

If I had ordered this in the place and realized the problem I might have gotten frustrated and just ordered whatever looked good. Thankfully I was home and in a rush for my daughters school concert that I grabbed something at home, which was not a great food but at least it was keeping me from over eating.

100%
100%

60%
60%

Keeping strong without a plan to hang on.  So dinner was a mess last night...AGAIN. I had to drive my wife to Boston to the hospital for a family member giving birth. We skipped dinner and my lunch had been short due to a spoiled avocado :-/

Once in Boston we had to wait for her to get approval to enter the wing of the hospital. Once she went in I shot over to the cafe and thankfully it was an Au Bon Pain which is no covered in calories on EVERYTHING! I picked out a salad and then got a pack of mixed nuts.  Ended the day in the black after having a four mile run as well.

Tonight will probably be a struggle as I got tickets to go see Tom Brady speak (yes I expect he'll avoid any deflated ball talk) right after my daughters soccer practice that I coach.  I'm hoping to stay strong and find a good choice, but I'll need to be prepared again for anarchy.

• Like 1

100%
100%

60%
60%

I'm starting to think the CC payment won't happen this month in time for my goal and I might take a hit there. I don't think it was anything I did wrong, but the money I was planning to use for that payment was used to pay the utilities this month instead of using the CC to get the cash back. Now this month I have a CC bill for my last month of putting Utilities on the CC to payoff to avoid interest and the regular Utilities.  It looks like June will be the month I am back to normal and have the funds available to make the big payoff I wanted.  I'm not giving up, but just being realistic.

I ate well yesterday even with a rushed night and snacking was at a minimum other than healthy things to keep me between meals.  I did have to skip on the bodyweight strength work as soccer coaching and the trip to see Tom Brady had me ready for bed when I got home. I'll see how I feel tonight about mixing bodyweight work on an easy run day.

100%
100%

60%
60%

Victory today with bodyweight exersizes on a non running day. I feel this strength work is really working and I look better but also run faster too.

• Like 1

100%
100%

60%
60%