Polgara's First Challenge! (Added Iron Druid theme!)

Polgara19

After reading around the forums, I have decided to add a theme to my 6 week challenge!  Original post below!

------------------

Hexed_02big1.jpg

Main Quest: Become an Iron Druid

In Kevin Hearne's excellent Iron Druid series, 2100 year old druid Atticus protects himself and his friends using his skill, stamina, strength, and the Earth.  He also takes on Granuaile as an apprentice, training her to become the first new druid in centuries.  Her training is extensive and in depth, and develops her into a competent and fit woman.  This is my goal.

oberon_5F00_400x400_5F00_4E526EF7.jpg

Quest 1: Run with Oberon

Atticus can shape shift or draw power from the earth in order to increase his stamina, using this to play, run and hunt with is Irish Wolfhound Oberon.  Oberon is the highlight of the books for me, and so running with him would be a thrill.  I have signed up to run my first 5K at the end of May, and this will be my inaugural run with Oberon!

3 runs/week = A

2 runs/week = B

1 runs/week = C

491803.jpg

Quest 2: Deal with the aftermath

Throughout the series, Atticus and Granuaile end up moving lots of big heavy things around - bodies of dead gods, mythological creatures, enchanted weapons, what have you.  Part of being a competent druid is being able to lift and move things when required, so I will be training to deal with the aftermath of events in my life.

2 weight training sessions/week = A

1 weight training sessions/week = B

Bonus result - lose some inches off my mommy tummy!!

Quest 3: No visiting Rula Bula alone!!!

Rula Bula is an Irish pub in Tempe serving the best fish and chips in the land.  Atticus loves this restaurant, and goes there whenever he can.  This is like me and sweets.  I sneak sweets whenever I can, gorging when I'm along.  I will not be eating any sweet treats alone for these 6 weeks.  I can eat something if someone else is also eating with me, but not alone.  This will be the hardest quest for me, so if I succeed, I will be rewarding myself with a trip to the spa at the end of the 6 weeks!

-------------------

Well, I am diving in and committing to this 6 week challenge.  

Main Goal: Overall fitness

I have registered for my first 5K at the end of May, so I think this 6 week challenge will be focussed on my training plan.  I also want to lose 10lbs.

Quests:

Complete 3 training runs every week, aiming to run 5k in 35 min by the end of the challenge.

Grading - A = 3 runs/week

B = 2 runs/week

C = 1 run/week

Exception - partner's business trip week

Cross train 2X/week

Grading - A = 2 cross training/week

B = 1 cross training/week

Only 1 serving of treat (not endless!)

Starting weight 

69.5 kg (153 lbs)

Challenges - solo parenting during partner's business trips make getting to the gym nearly impossible. Solution: yoga and body weight training at home!  

• Like 4

Level 6 Ranger

Current Challenge - Scrubs!

Previous Challenges - Theme-Free LazinessMedieval MarginaliaBrandon Sanderson's Way of Kings Theme - AgainWay of Kings 1Top Gear ThemeStargate SG:1 themeIron Druid theme!

2016 Battle Log (Long term goal tracking)

Well, I'm doing pretty well on the work out front. Yesterday I did some inverted rows at the park while my daughter played, some push-ups later, then did 3x10 barbell squats at the gym (bar only), 69 sec plank in 2 sets, and some deadlifts.

Then this morning I went for a run, first in 4 days so a bit slower than was doing last week. Ran 2.01 miles in 24 min.

Today's challenge is to not scarf sweets during naptime. Maybe I'll make a pot of tea and hope that lasts me the length of the nap.

Any ideas what I can replace the sweet snacking with?

• Like 1

Level 6 Ranger

Previous Challenges - Theme-Free LazinessMedieval MarginaliaBrandon Sanderson's Way of Kings Theme - AgainWay of Kings 1Top Gear ThemeStargate SG:1 themeIron Druid theme!

Alright, so I've been thinking.  Working out and running aren't that much of a challenge since I enjoy it and do it regularly already.  The biggest challenge for me is containing my sweet tooth.  So, I am modifying my goal and adding a reward.

Quest

Will only eat sweets with someone else.  I will not eat sweets alone.  

Reward

Visit to the spa

This will hopefully curb my snacking during nap time, but still allow me to make dessert and bake for my family as I enjoy that.  If someone else is eating the treat, I can too!

Should I go back and edit my original post??

• Like 4

Level 6 Ranger

Welcome to the Rebellion! Good job making your goals SMART goals.

2 miles in 24 minutes - you'll be blowing by old, slow people like me during your 5k.

As for snacking during downtime, I'm with you there. It was the worst part of changing my eating habits. I starting chewing gum. Mint gum has the longest-lasting flavor due to actual mint oils. When I do actual snacks, I keep them healthy - carrot chips and hummus is a good one. If I absolutely have to have something sweet, I'll do peanut butter and a banana. That usually does the trick.

• Like 3

Rebel Scum Current Challenge

So excited for your first 5K! It sounds like you are on track for your time goal.

Sweets are a tough one for me, too. I like eating frozen grapes or blueberries to meet the craving. It somehow feels like more of a treat when they are frozen.

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

my snack is usually cucumbers with salt, some turkey, and a bit of cheese. not really sweet, but it works.

that's a good time for 2 miles. you'll be fine by the time your 5k comes around. 

• Like 1

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

Thanks for all the replies everybody!

I have no problem eating fruit, the problem is that I usually then always seem to want something after - guess it's the programming from my mother, have a piece of fruit before the chocolate!

Anyways, yesterday I didn't eat any sweets at all!  Success!  

Having a pot of tea prepared during nap time instead of just a cup seems to have helped since I can immediately satiate the "I want something" craving.  I drink lots of medium expensive blends of tea, so hopefully that will scratch the "treat" itch!

We had Math Night at my kindergartener's school too, and avoided temptation at "JubeJube Geometry"!  Success!

This morning then I went to the gym and did a lovely weight training work out.  

5 min rowing (nearly 900 m!)

3X10 Squats (added 5 lbs to the bar)

2X10 Lunges (20 lbs)

3X10 Push ups

3X5   Inverted rows (Last 2 were ... not quite full, but I did them. Improvement next time!)

30 sec Plank (35 sec/25 sec)

3X10 Overhead press (20lbs)

3X10 Deadlifts (20lbs)

I'm pretty happy with that and will hopefully manage to improve all that by the end of the challenge.  My quads are killing me today after Tuesday's squats.  Hope this DOMS subsides quickly!

Today, I am hoping to buy some running shorts for my 5k.  I currently work out in cropped leggings, but by the end of May it will be very hot out, so want to get some shorts.  

• Like 2

Level 6 Ranger

I successfully avoided sweets during naptime today! But I am amazed by how strong the urge to just grab some animal crackers or chocolate chips out I the freezer is the second I sneak out is the bedroom. Ah well Vanilla Orchid oolong tea saw me through today.

This morning I also bought some workout shorts for the upcoming hot weather, and fell in love with the shirt pictured with them below!

post-38645-0-77381300-1429210643_thumb.j

post-38645-0-77381300-1429210643_thumb.j

• Like 1

Level 6 Ranger

Alright, so I've been thinking.  Working out and running aren't that much of a challenge since I enjoy it and do it regularly already.  The biggest challenge for me is containing my sweet tooth.  So, I am modifying my goal and adding a reward.

Quest

Will only eat sweets with someone else.  I will not eat sweets alone.  

Reward

Visit to the spa

This will hopefully curb my snacking during nap time, but still allow me to make dessert and bake for my family as I enjoy that.  If someone else is eating the treat, I can too!

Should I go back and edit my original post??

Ooh. Sweets are my Kryptonite, too. I followed you home from my thread- challenge looks great!!

• Like 2

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

Quest 1: Run with Oberon

This morning was my second training run this week.  I am trying to increase my stamina, so my goal was to run 15 min, walk 2 min, run 10 min, walk 2 min, for a total of 29 min.  I ran on a treadmill at the gym at a 1.0 incline, and managed to cover 2.39 miles (3.84 km) in the 29 min.  I am glad I went and did it, but I am finding it hard to better my distance on a treadmill.  I am hoping to eventually get down to a sub 30 min 5k, so will need to step it up!

Quest 2: Deal with the aftermath

Today is a rest day from weight lifting, and I'm glad.  My thighs are quite sore after 2 sessions this week already.  

2 sessions = A!

Quest 3: No eating at Rula Bula alone!!!

Still haven't had any sweet treats alone.  Shared a small piece of dark chocolate with the kids last night after dinner, but that's all I've had.  

Normally I would have weighed and measured this morning, but due to scheduling changes, I think I will be doing that either tomorrow or Sunday morning.  Hoping to see some results!

• Like 2

Level 6 Ranger

Today is a rest day, so Quest 1: Run with Oberon, and Quest 2: Deal with the aftermath are all about recovering.

CAwRVBKUQAA_sgq.jpg

Quest 3: No going to Rula Bula alone 

This quest continues, and I am amazed at how easy it has turned out to be to say no to sweets on my own.  After 4 days of this now, I am actually shocked by how often I have this little flash of "Grab one of those yoghurt covered pretzels".  The act of getting some alone time (rare with 2 kids) immediately leads to me thinking about something sweet.  I've been surprised by how common these intrusive little thoughts have been, and the habit-nature of the cravings has made them easy to ignore.  I've also been able to identify when I am actually hungry.  Without eating sweets, I think I am not getting as much carbs as my body needs, and I'm finding myself hungry.  This is easy to remedy though with proper snacks, like yoghurt or a bagel.

• Like 1

Level 6 Ranger

Have fun at your 5k! It sounds like you'll be in great shape to really enjoy it. 

That incessant "I have two minutes to myself it must be time for something sweet" is crazy! I used to get my tea as a double double with milk and one day I realized that whenever I was craving tea it had nothing to do with the caffeine or a warm drink, it was all about the sugar. They could have given me a cup of hot water with that much sugar dissolved in it and I would have been completely happy. Just nuts.

Sounds like you're doing great with it! We're here cheering you on. :)

aithne, level 0, rebel

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Current Challenge

The Challenger :  

NAPTIME

The Craving:  Homemade banana raspberry chocolate chip bread

post-38645-0-76881900-1429377210_thumb.j

But....

Nobody else can eat it with me, so instead I will be having this

post-38645-0-91002600-1429377371_thumb.j

A handful of sugar snap peas and black jasmine tea.

Sigh.

Actually, the peas were excellent, and I love black jasmine.  

Yum.

• Like 2

Level 6 Ranger

If you need anyone to get rid of the bread for you, I'd be happy to. It sounds AMAZING. (But we'll done bypassing it and sticking to your challenge)

Thanks!  We had some after dinner as a family, and it was hard not to have a second sneaky piece while doing the dishes.  But I did it.  Boo.

Hi & belated welcome!

My book nerd senses were tingling, so I had to come visit. =) Nice challenge you have here, and you seem to be doing really well so far! Keep at it, and that 5k is toast!

So, book nerd? =D

I am absolutely a book nerd.  Just finished reading Cherie Priest's Maplecroft, which I loved! Mostly I'm a fantasy gal, but I read the odd science fiction too.  There don't seem to be as many book nerds here as other things, but I can represent!

I also think that the Lies of Locke Lamora would make a great challenge theme!

Level 6 Ranger

This quest continues, and I am amazed at how easy it has turned out to be to say no to sweets on my own.  After 4 days of this now, I am actually shocked by how often I have this little flash of "Grab one of those yoghurt covered pretzels".  The act of getting some alone time (rare with 2 kids) immediately leads to me thinking about something sweet.  I've been surprised by how common these intrusive little thoughts have been, and the habit-nature of the cravings has made them easy to ignore.  I've also been able to identify when I am actually hungry.  Without eating sweets, I think I am not getting as much carbs as my body needs, and I'm finding myself hungry.  This is easy to remedy though with proper snacks, like yoghurt or a bagel.

It's amazing how strong a compulsion habits can be. For me, it's Coke and video games. I generally don't have much of a sweet tooth, and can therefore easily say no to sweet things, and after a bit of a battle have managed to kick my chip habit. I don't really crave Coke at any other time, and will go weeks or months without having one and never miss it, but as soon as that game starts, it feels wrong not to have one.

You seem to have the first (and sometimes the hardest) step of kicking the sweet habit down, which is to be mindful of your cravings. With that part down, you're sure to be successful with the goal!!!

Also, unrelated, in response to your comment on Starpuck's thread, who do you play ringette with? Depending on which way you go from Toronto, you might have played my sister's team. (I figured I'd bring this over here, to avoid hijacking Starpuck's thread too much...)

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Also, unrelated, in response to your comment on Starpuck's thread, who do you play ringette with? Depending on which way you go from Toronto, you might have played my sister's team. (I figured I'd bring this over here, to avoid hijacking Starpuck's thread too much...)

Probably a good idea!  I go up to Markham, but I know there's a recreational league in Etobicoke, as well as some more competitive ones in Ajax/Whitby area.

Yesterday was games night at our place, so had another piece of banana bread with everybody else, as well as a Timbit someone had brought, but I didn't gorge.  

Quite proud.

This morning I went for a run, managed 4.61km in 33 min.  Pretty good!

• Like 3

Level 6 Ranger

Probably a good idea!  I go up to Markham, but I know there's a recreational league in Etobicoke, as well as some more competitive ones in Ajax/Whitby area.

Ah, I have fond memories of a tournament in Ajax.... And by fond memories I mean it was that one time where, if I could have reached him from the penalty box, I probably would've actually strangled the referee.... But then I scored 4 goals, so it all evened out.

My sister plays in Guelph, so you guys probably wouldn't meet in general, but maybe in a tournament some time.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

I am absolutely a book nerd.  Just finished reading Cherie Priest's Maplecroft, which I loved! Mostly I'm a fantasy gal, but I read the odd science fiction too.  There don't seem to be as many book nerds here as other things, but I can represent!

I also think that the Lies of Locke Lamora would make a great challenge theme!

Locke Lamora would translate into challenges very well, I think! Go for it!

There's a fair number of book nerds here, we're just slightly less visible. There are more gifs for movie and TV stuff, and I think that factors into the number of book related challenge themes. (I know it does for me.) You'll see though - there are plenty of us who won't shut up about books once we get started. (Including me..)

I hadn't heard of Maplecroft, but it looks really interesting. I've had the first Iron Druid book on my list for a while; I think it might be moving up after this because your challenge is really interesting. Right now I'm reading one of David Edding's trilogies and random other stuff in between books. I'm also mainly fantasy and urban fantasy, but I like lots of stuff. I read a lot of romance, because it's cheap - both in cost and time to read. 

• Like 1

Absidey

LEVEL12

STR11 DEX13 STA20

CON29 WIS17 CHA11

Fear is the mind-killer.

Main Goal: Lose 20 Hip/Waist inches

95%
95%

Current Challenge

I hadn't heard of Maplecroft, but it looks really interesting. I've had the first Iron Druid book on my list for a while; I think it might be moving up after this because your challenge is really interesting. Right now I'm reading one of David Edding's trilogies and random other stuff in between books. I'm also mainly fantasy and urban fantasy, but I like lots of stuff. I read a lot of romance, because it's cheap - both in cost and time to read. 

Well, I clearly really love the Iron Druid.  They were recommended to me to fill the Dresden Files gap, and they filled it in style!  Love the world building, love the characters.  The dog Oberon is the highlight for me - just fantastic!

Doooooo it!!!

Where does most of this book nerding happen?  I'm new here and finding it a bit tough to figure out where different types of discussions belong.

My sister plays in Guelph, so you guys probably wouldn't meet in general, but maybe in a tournament some time.

Might have met her in a tournament, we only did two this season though - not enough people.  One of the problems with recreational women's sports.  Everybody just has too many other commitments.  We had fun though, and that's what's important.

Level 6 Ranger