intersting article

Guest tparker

Complete hogwash.

I'm a very slim / athletic build. Under the 9% body fat. Have maintained weight and measurements (including the neck) for the last 12 years. (Including when I was 18.) Same rough build, waist size has not varied any more than a half an inch, and my neck as well.

Currently, 17" neck. Age 16: 16 3/4" neck.

The table they offer:

Boys

Age 6: 11.2 inches

Age 10: 12.6 inches

Age 18: 15.4 inches

Granted I'm built extremely top heavy, but that is not a great indicator. HOWEVER, the neck and chin line do show fat that is not easy to hide. Even small trace amounts show up there.

Obsession, thanks for linking to the article. I know lots of people dismiss BMI, especially body builders (who are obviously in good shape, so I'm not sure why they get all fired up about it), but for me it's a useful tool. I am overweight, about ten pounds according to BMI, I do believe it makes sense for me and most folks. Certainly it's a good check--my goal right now is to get into a healthy BMI range (ie 154.8), and then I'll figure out from there where I want to go.

Guest tparker

I'm not denying the outliers. However, the problem is in the neck. BMI itself, depends on how you are taking the measurements, as the only true indication is the water displacement test. Only then can you reliably and accurately know what it is.

The cold hard fact about it, you don't need a magical BMI number to know if you are overweight, too much fat, too skinny. It's visible without it. Everyone holds things differently, has different looks, tones. Hence my bit on the neck itself. If the fat is depositing there, causing a difference, then you have way too much body fat as a percentage.

That spare tire and muffin top? Tells the same tale.

BMI is just another number to chase.

Right, but this article is about kids, not adults. It's helpful for doctors to have an easy way of measuring kids to talk to the parents. You'd be amazed at how unable we parents are about seeing problems in our own children.

It's just another helpful tool. We're not going to be dunking kids into water at their annual physicals.