Virtualmonkey - Lost diary of a Scout

virtualmonkey

So I just realized that the challenge started yesterday. It's been a bad few days at my house, whole family has been passing around a bug I've avoided for 3 weeks so far.

One of my most prized possessions is a small box my grandmother gave me a few, very long and hard, days after my grandfather died 17 years ago. In this box were 4 items, the knife he carried, a hammer that has no significance that I know of other than it was his, the last two items are simple notebooks that my grandfather kept. One is filled with stories and things he found interesting during his childhood & teen years in Eastern Kentucky and the coal mines of Virginia. The other is his journal as a young man just after he married my grandmother and started their family.  I know why my grandmother gave them to me, she's told me many times, I was named after my grandfather and we were best friends during my childhood, my dad left when I was still an infant and my mom remarried a great guy, but my grandfather was still the driving male force in my life. Since then, I've acquired 14 total journals of his, to my knowledge, I'm the only person to read. They were kept in a safe my grandmother didn't have the combination to, I found it written in another journal and she said they were mine to keep. 

I want to be able to leave something like that behind for my grandchildren. So this challenge is all about record keeping. 

Journal #1 - The fun stuff.

Like the first notebook, this is going to be filled with the randomness that makes me happy or catches my fancy. With my awesomeness known as ADD it should be pretty interesting. I assume its going to be similar to the stupid stuff I randomly post on Facebook, only less memes.

Journal #2 - WOD book

I'm terrible about keeping track of my workouts. Actually I'm not I'm just terrible at locating the information when I need it. My runs go to either the Garmin site or MMR, my lifts go to either Wodify or Evernote but neither contains the same info, and my CF WODs are also in Wodify but I usually forget to put them in for a few days. I'm going to keep a workout journal, with daily entries about food, mood, and workouts. Then back of this journal will be basically broken down by movements (ie run, squat, bench, etc) and a date list under that movement telling what my last weight was and how many sets I did. 

Journal #3 - The real stuff

This will be the hardest for me to keep up with. This book will be completely honest and my deeper thoughts on life and everything else. I simply don't like talking about myself so putting those thoughts onto paper will be hard.

I'll work out scoring later but this is what I'm in for.

On a side note, my first mini quest is coming up in this challenge. April 25th Country Music Half Marathon. I'm proud to say I've raised over $1k for St Jude, I'm not proud to say it cost me my beard but it will grow back. 

My current main quest is also coming to an end, the Spartan Sprint is May 16th. Well live or die I'll finish that race and I proved that to myself today when we did 150 burpees, 125 KB swings, 100 cleans, 50 push presses, 10x 400m runs. (I think all that math is right...it sucked...)

• Like 3

Level 6 - Scout

Challenges - Lost Diary of a Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Hey hey.

Wow. The journals of your grandfather, that's amazing. What a treasure to have. My dad's father was a story-teller big time, but my mom's dad was a quiet man. He was estranged from his family when he married my grandmother (she was not from Quebec). They came around much later, I was about 8 years old, I think. So he went up with his immediate family and spent time getting to know his family. I have always wondered how that was for him and how it shaped his adult life. Suffice it to say, I'm happy you have a chance, and that you found the combo!

Ugh. Workout tracking. I get them on here pretty well, but nowhere else so I have no idea where I'm at with things unless I track down all the posts. I think I'm going to join you in this if you don't mind.

Best of luck and self-compassion for this challenge.

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Are we friends on MFP? I can't remember. Either way, it's the same handle as here so if you want to that would be cool.

And yes, I'm going to track my workouts! Starting tonight!! At least get a template going that I like! And doodle, definitely need doodles! lol

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Yes journaling! That's something I also struggle with and am going to be working on this challenge as well. As the cheesy sign in my gym says "things that get measured, get improved" and writing everything down really does keep you accountable.

Good luck on this challenge and in your race.

• Like 1

So far I'm doing pretty good.

I started my paper journals yesterday.

The randomness journal already has 6 entries of just odd ball thoughts I've had. Two are showing promise when I remembered to talk to the right people about them. Which is nice b/c usually I forget them within seconds.

Workout book is doing good. I wrote a decent intro into it, a page of goals, and have logged the past two days workouts. 

The real stuff isn't going that great. I sat down with it last night and just didn't have anything to write. I scribbled some stuff down the kid did that I thought was cute, I drew a doodle or two in the margins, and then I put it away. 

Logging food is going ok. I'm on a 10 day streak on MFP but only 7 of them include everything. I'm mainly interested in MFP to make sure I hit my protein goals more so than anything else. My food usually balances out and my weight is dropping and I'm happy with the body shape changes I'm seeing, my measurements aren't changing much. My arms and legs have always been pretty low fat, most of mine is stomach fat and I know it, that's doing good though.

I have to tell this though, my wife's friend just got divorced and she's a very good looking lady we feel kind of bad for her b/c her single guy friends are always offering to do her favors hoping to get something from it. So I do a lot for her and teach her the easy stuff just so she doesn't have to rely on any of them. Anyways, I was moving something for her daughter's room and she was talking to my wife about how cut my legs are looking. I just went around smiling for no reason I'd tell them about b/c I know they think I couldn't hear. Yay for superhuman dad hearing!

• Like 1

Level 6 - Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Now that's really awesome of you to do for her. I bet learning to take care of things on her own will help her feel confident and thereby she will be more likely to demand that she gets a good man, not a dweeb! 

So you have obviously managed to impress Lili Taylor!

Lloyd: "I'm a guy."

Corey: "Don't be a guy. There's lots of guys. Be a man."

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

So an update on my goals...

My workout and daily journals have merged. I was writing the info in duplicate it seemed so I just merged them and have been happy with it. 

Food is hit and miss. I ate a lot after the HM that I didn't log but for the most part its going well, I think in the two weeks I've missed 3 days completely and a random meal here or there. 

The fun stuff book has been converted to Evernote, its so much easier to just keep it with me that way b/c I was typing them in there and then moving it to the notebook later.

Level 6 - Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Sounds great having your info merging together so well. I'm still trying to remember to log my workouts. I used to use my phone diary all the time, maybe I will go back to that? I can play a game on the phone if I log something first. Anything, as getting into the diary is the hard part.

Sounds like tracking food is going well even when the log is not up-to-perfect-date. That's great.

Enjoy the rest of your week!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way