• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hilary_W

My 100th attempt to get to 100 pushups

Hi all, Everyone here seems so friendly and I've been wanting to join for a while.  It's finally time.

This is my first 6 week challenge and I'm really excited.

For the next 6 weeks my goals are:

1. do 100 pushups every day, no matter how many sets I have to break them down into.  Right now I'm doing them in groups of 5 or 7 or 10 depending on the day.  But then there are those pesky times when I don't do any - for days at a time - even weeks.  This is changing now!

2. drink 3 L of water every day.  Did this as my 30 day academy challenge - felt great - stopped doing it - felt crappy again - am getting back on board the water train with 3 L /day for six weeks straight.  

3. get to bed no later than 9 PM every night (this is the hardest of the three). Days getting longer, more stuff to do, etc

Really excited.  Can't wait to meet you all in the forums.

• Like 4

Love this, I remember when I was doing those, I normally did four sets of 25, now I'm way out,

Feeling your strength improve is just great so I hope you succeed. I think I might need to incorporate a little of this in my current plan.

Hydration hydration.

• Like 1

Hi Fearlessly Free, Totally agree with you.  I am starting from scratch but dream of the day that I finally feel stronger.

I started the challenge a little late so today was my day 1.

My son has lego spread all over the living room so I did pushups staring at a little lego fireman. The lego dude is fitter than I am at this point but that is going to change.

Day 1 work completed:

knee pushups for today - sets of 5, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 5  All completed between 5 and 6 pm while making dinner.

H2O - 3 L between 5:30 AM and now - feel great

sleep - last night the boy wouldn't go to sleep so I didn't crash until 9:40 PM - not quite goal but something to work on

Looking forward to day 2 tomorrow.

• Like 2

That's a great start! You'll be feeling it tomorrow.

I don't think I've had a litre of water  :grey: to be honest lol, that'll get better though

For the past days I've been sighting my son during a few workouts lol,

on Monday I had to pause, for a couple minutes because he decided to go in the plant pots for a snack.

I'm really happy for you, hope you have a great workout tomorrow.

• Like 1

Not gonna lie, your challenge title is what made me click on it. I love your goals! You've got a really solid plan it seems.

I too struggle with getting to bed by a set time every night. Granted some flexibility in that time isn't necessarily a bad thing in my book.

Looking forward to watching your progress!

• Like 2

Thanks FearlesslyFree and KiltedCowboy.  I'm new to the forums and don't know anyone yet so it is really nice of you both to stop here for a bit to say hi.

Day 2 already and it seems like I've been here forever.  That's a good thing.

1. pushups - knee - 10 groups of 10.  I started them at 8 PM after my son went to sleep and just finished now.  Tomorrow I think I'll try a pyramid or something to break the pattern up a bit.

2. 3L H2O - drank that and more between 5:45 AM and now.  feel good  

3. sleep 9:20 last night, almost there

Woke up before my alarm this morning.  Feel great and looking forward to tomorrow.

• Like 1

Great work so far on the pushups!

Welcome to the Rebellion. Since pushups are one of your main goals, next challenge when you are ready to level up and choose a guild, the assassins may be a group you would enjoy. I am an ambassador for the assassins. Which means, we spy out for potential recruits to our guild, and will come by and cheer you on and answer questions. Feel free to PM me if you have a question, or need some encouragement.

You can go check out some of the thread of assassins and see the kind of things we do. Here are some links you can check out to see what we are up to:

The Assassin Guild Info & Announcements

The Assassins' Den guild chat thread this our fun hang out and chat, post gifs, and ask questions place

The Level 1 Assassin Initiates Q&A/Chat thread

• Like 1

What a great challenge! Your water one is a particularly good reminder. 

I really love the image of you and the lego fireman doing pushups together. :)

• Like 2

Friday already - day 3 of my first 6 week challenge.  

1. pushups - I tried something new this morning and did them while getting ready in the morning. sets of knee pushups - 15, 15, 10, 10, 15, 15, 10, 10.  The morning routine worked better for me because I wasn't as tired as I usually am at the end of the day

2. water - 3L - started at 5:45 am and just finished now

3. sleep - didn't get to bed until 9:30 pm last night.  I'm feeling the lack of sleep from this past week and fell asleep on the couch tonight.  My son woke me up a little while ago to watch cartoons.

Overall it feels good to be getting back into a routine. This first week is about practicing the habit of doing by 3 challenge items but going forward I hope to feel stronger and more rested overall. 

Hope you all have a great weekend and I'll see you here in the forums.

• Like 2

Saturday and my day 4 of this 6 week challenge.  

1. pushups - decided to stop goofing around and did full pushups today (i.e. the proper type).  Did them in little groups throughout the day starting at 7:30 AM and finished about 20 minutes ago.  5, 5, 7, 10, 7, 10, 12, 10, 10, 10, 10, 5  = 101

2. water - 3L - started at 6:45 AM and finished now

3. sleep - went to bed after 10 PM last night and my son woke me up at 6:30 AM.  I guess that is 8 hours but I still missed my target bed time.  Sleep hacking is harder than it looks. lol

Moving forward ... 5 1/2 more weeks to go.  Am really happy about getting back to full pushups.  No more slacking off with the knee pushups, although they did serve a purpose while I was wrapping my mind around the idea of doing 100 of these a day.

• Like 1

Sunday - my day 5 of this 6wc.   I have been keeping track of the pushup sets on a postcard.  My son got his hands on the postcard today and crumpled it up and threw it on the floor.  He said that he doesn't like seeing me doing pushups when I should be playing with him.  I asked him if he could count for me but he just got mad.

My little guy is three years old.  He'll get used to Mommy's pushup game eventually. 

1 pushups - did full pushups today - 8, 10, 10, 10, 12, 10, 10, 10, 10, 5, 7 = 102 

2. water - 3L - drank and drank until I finished my daily allotment

3. sleep - went to bed after 10 PM last night because I was reading through the NF forums when I should have been sleeping.  These forums are as addictive as sugar. lol

I'm feeling pretty good about doing 2 whole days of proper pushups.  My weakest part is my core since it breaks first when I do the pushups.  My arms and shoulders are feeling ok with all of this unexpected exercise.  I've been experimenting with feet-together or feet-apart but don't feel any difference in my core/plank position during the pushup.

Time to keep on keepin' on, as they say.

• Like 1

Sounds like you had a super week!

I bet he'll be joining you one of these days.

I feel the same about the nerdfitness lol, new addiction, I think it's giving me that push to make the decisions I've wanted to make for a long time.

I'm really happy and excited for you.

• Like 2

Thank you both so much for the encouragement.  

Elastigirl - the gifs and videos in the assassin's guild are inspiring. It's hard to believe what people can do with their bodies, whether dancing or bouldering or whatever else they do.   I can't wait to join you and your fellow assassins for the next challenge.

FearlesslyFree - These forums are really interesting aren't they? I'm glad you're having fun with it too. Not sure if you had the same impression as me but when I signed up this challenge seemed a bit daunting.  Now it's turning into a fun adrenaline rush.  

I wish I'd done this a long time ago.

• Like 1

Way to go with the pushups! If the kiddo feels you should be playing with him instead of pushups, any way you could make it into a game and get him pushing floor too?

Glad you are loving the boards here! Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Hi KiltedCowboy,  You've read my little guy perfectly.  He wants to make everything into a game so encouraging some pushups of his own just might work.  

He usually comes around to new things once he gets used to them.  He even eats broccoli and green veggies when I serve them up. He's totally a future recruit for nerd fitness.

I suspect that games with animals and growling will catch his interest.  I try to do my pushups quietly but some dinosaur growls could work.  Also, singing might work if I can catch my breath long enough to do it.

Could definitely use some more ideas, though. I wonder if someone else has posted suggestions in the forums in the past.  If you run across any in your travels, please let me know.

• Like 1

The day before I joined I had made the decision to start getting active again, even 10 mins a day, so Monday I opened my NF newsletter, did some searching on the forum and then I saw the challenge, felt it tied in with what I was doing and the rest is now history lol. Still while there's the adrenaline rush and the excitement there's this little thought I the back of my head questioning my abilities, however I'll take it a day at a time, one workout at a time. We're already a third of the way through the year, I still kinda can't believe it, and that happened a day at a time. So I'll complete this challenge before I know it, with success.

• Like 1

One day at a time is a good way to look at it.  I think I'll do the same.  I tend to think too far ahead but am practicing being present in each day and slowing down my pace.

Today is my day 6, since I started a little late on this challenge.  It was a little harder than the last two since I crunched all the pushups in between dinner and my son's bath time.  The previous two days I spread them out over an 8 or 9 hour period and hardly felt them at all.

1. pushups - full ones - 10 sets of 10 plus an extra 3 at the end = 103

2. water - 3 L and some extra.  Was working hard today and really appreciated having this great water drinking habit

3. sleep - stayed up too late again last night.  Am aiming for 9-ish tonight to get a really good sleep.  :moon:

See you all tomorrow.

Awesome challenge! 100 pushups a day is uber impressive. I did a 100 push ups challenge a couple of years ago (to build up to 100 consecutive) and I stopped at around the 40 consecutive mark. But I couldn't handle it every day - my arms would be like jello if I tried push ups two days in a row.

You must be pretty strong!

• Like 1

NeverThatBored - Getting to 40 consecutive is a great accomplishment.  I'll be happy once I move past 10, even 15 would be welcome at this point.

I'm not strong at all in the upper body.  I was goofing around with dumbbell and barbell workouts but decided to get real with myself.  I really want to improve my functional strength and that means getting back to body weight movements.

The closest that I've come to a challenge like this was not a NF event.  My apartment building contracted for some elevator repairs that took 3 months to complete.  As a result I spent 3 months schlepping my groceries, baby, etc up the stairs several times a day.  It hurt at first but by the end I felt really good.  I'm hoping this challenge leaves me feeling good too.  So far it's going well.

• Like 1

Great job in sticking to the grind so far!  Pushups are a terrific way to start building upper body strength and stamina. 

The sleep goal is also a really good idea.  I'm at a pretty bad deficit in that department these days because of my twin toddlers, which is why I only lift two times a week.

When you're ready (maybe in a couple of challenges down the road) you should try incorporating some pulling movements as well (e.g. flexed arm hang leading to chin ups).  You're upper body strength will explode once you are able to fit both pushing and pulling into your routine.  But your approach of starting with a single movement to master is very smart.

Good Luck finishing the challenge!

• Like 1

Hi Harbard,  I love your suggestion to add pulling to the workout.  I can't do a single pull up yet but that goal will definitely be added to my challenge list next round.  It might take a while to get to the first one but the stronger muscles from this challenge will help out when it is time to do pulls.

I imagine that twins must be a little tougher to parent than my toddler.  I'm thankful that my parents help out every week by spending time with him while I try to catch up at home.  Without their help I'd be in rough shape.

As for challenge results - a tuna sandwich helped me break through today.  Imagine, the lowly tuna sandwich is the engine of my progress. Food for thought. lol

I had my normal meals today but was hungry again by mid-afternoon so I headed to a sandwich shop for a snack.  That seems to have given me enough energy to increase my pushups this evening.

I forgot that extra food is required for strengthening up. I'll monitor the hunger pangs in the next few days to see if this is a one time event.  If not then I'll have to make meals that are more calorie dense.

1. pushups - full ones - felt great today, a little stiff in the mid-back but not painful in any way.  Sets: 12, 12, 12, 10, 12, 14, 10, 12, 12, 10, 10, 10 - very pleased, this is better progress than I expected to see at this point

2. H2O - 3 L and more. Am loving the water challenge.

3. sleep hacking - a little late tonight.  Will crash after hitting "post".  Sleep is so necessary and I should be doing it right now but wanted to post my results before crashing for the night.  It took me a long time to make the decision to sign up for this challenge so I want to finish strong.  To be fair, I have been getting more sleep than before.

Good night everyone.  :moon:

This is day 8 of my challenge.  I cut the volume back a little bit for a rest but still completed my workout this evening.

1. pushups - full - 7, 10, 10, 12, 12, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10

2. H2O - 3 L plus some (am thinking of switching this goal to one involving less coffee.  Have to psych myself up for that one.)

3. sleep - 10 PM last night with my usual start time of 5:45 this morning.  Not quite 8 hours, still working on this goal.

Week 2 is going well and I'm still feeling pretty happy with the challenge.

• Like 3