• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Robzilla1983

Rob's Journal

OK, my own challenge is to:

1) Actually update this daily (or mostly daily, probably combine Saturday and Sunday into 1 post). Will show what I've eaten every day, and what I've worked out

2) Make it to the gym 20 times (i.e. every day after work), and do *something* active on the weekend.

3) Get down to 180 pounds again without ballooning back up (I've hit 180 multiple times, but I can never get below it).

EDIT: starting weight is 191 pounds. I weighed myself on the gym scale right before Monday night's class. So I'll check at the same time in a month from now, wearing probably the same clothes

4) No sugary foods (good thing I'm writing this after my danish this morning :))

5) Accept constructive criticism, and have an open mind about suggestions.

I'm a fussy eater, so the food part is hard, but that's where my biggest challenge is. I'm already going to the gym quite a bit, and this won't be much different.

So, with that being said, as I start updating with what I've eaten please throw as many suggestions at me as possible and I'll do my best to incorporate the good ideas :D

March 1st:

Breakfast:

Cheerios with partly skimmed milk

Travel mug of coffee with one Sugar Twin packet, and cereal cream

Lunch:

Chicken Noodle soup, salted crackers, and a danish

Supper:

Nachos (I know not the best, but it was low sodium chips, lots of onion, green and red pepper, so it could have been worse. I did use nacho seasoning though)

Snacks:

Special K bar right before my workout, banana and yogurt right after, apple shortly before bed

Workout:

Hour of cardio kickboxing

45 minute walk with the dog

Drank water most of the day. Diet Pepsi with supper, and Crystal Light in the evening.

Side bar:

What's everyone's opinion on diet pop? I gave up drinking pop altogether in the Fall and it was tough. Probably the hardest food related thing I had to give up. Been drinking a lot of diet lately though. Just looking at nutritional info it doesn't seem so bad, just wondering what everyone else thinks. Usually I have only the one can a day, and lots of water throughout the day, so I'm pretty comfortable with diet Pepsi being my biggest vice :)

March 1st:

Breakfast:

Cheerios with partly skimmed milk

Travel mug of coffee with one Sugar Twin packet, and cereal cream

Lunch:

Chicken Noodle soup, salted crackers, and a danish

Supper:

Nachos (I know not the best, but it was low sodium chips, lots of onion, green and red pepper, so it could have been worse. I did use nacho seasoning though)

Snacks:

Special K bar right before my workout, banana and yogurt right after, apple shortly before bed

Workout:

Hour of cardio kickboxing

45 minute walk with the dog

Drank water most of the day. Diet Pepsi with supper, and Crystal Light in the evening.

Side bar:

What's everyone's opinion on diet pop? I gave up drinking pop altogether in the Fall and it was tough. Probably the hardest food related thing I had to give up. Been drinking a lot of diet lately though. Just looking at nutritional info it doesn't seem so bad, just wondering what everyone else thinks. Usually I have only the one can a day, and lots of water throughout the day, so I'm pretty comfortable with diet Pepsi being my biggest vice :)

Hey Rob, in case you didn't see it - I wrote an article on NF back on october about diet soda

I'm goign to start a new thread on the weight loss thread to get everybody's opinions on diet soda. I don't drink the stuff, but I'm sure plenty of people do.

-Steve

Thanks for the article Steve. I haven't seen it yet but I'll take a look at it today when I get some time.

March 2:

Breakfast:

Cheerios with partly skimmed milk. Glass of OJ. Coffee with Sugar Twin and cereal cream

Lunch:

Soup and crackers (I honestly don't know what the soup was... some kind of chowder-y thing I think). Caesar salad

EDIT: Went for a 25 minute walk on my lunch break. It was on a hill though. So half of it is walking up a rather steep hill, and the other half is zig zagging my way back down.

Afternoon coffee. 3 sugar and lots of cereal cream (the work coffee is pretty brutal, and there's a reason I don't often drink it)

Workout:

Special K bar right before my hour of cardio kick boxing. I can't always say this, but I definitely did not hold anything back on the workout last night. I keep reading other people's journals and everyone's right sore it seems. I haven't been really sore in quite a while, just because I've been doing this workout for about 5 months now. They do change it up night to night, but it's still the same set of stuff we do. I was kind of jealous of everyone being sore. It's a great indicator that you worked your ass off. Not sure today, but at least I didn't hold back :)

Banana and yogurt about half an hour after

Supper:

Chicken (half a chicken breast) with gravy, potatoes, frozen peas and carrots, cream corn. Didn't do real great on cutting down the portion size, but what I did do was eat about half the potatoes that I typically would and had the cream corn instead. Can of diet pepsi

I had MAJOR snack cravings later on that evening. I tried an apple but that didn't cut it. In the end I had some low sodium nacho chips with Franks Red Hot sauce. Thank god the chips were almost gone. I had probably half of what the portion size is on the back of the bag.

EDIT: Just read the article (and accompanying comments). Starting to wonder if the Diet Pepsi caused my snack cravings that evening. Will have to try just water for today and we'll see how that goes

Had probably 1L of water throughout the day + during the workout.

Breakfast:

Same as yesterday (what can I say, I'm a man of routine. This won't change at all on a week-day)

Lunch:

Left overs. But with a full chicken breast instead of just half

Made it to the gym. Special K bar right before. Last night's class was a bit later than usual, so I was quite hungry by the time I made it home. Had the usual banana and yogurt, but then an apple and Nature Valley bar on top of that.

Supper:

Meat balls (extra lean ground beef mixed in with 1/4 chopped up onion and an egg to hold it together, and a jar of sweet chili sauce). Uncle Ben's rice... the stuff you pop in the microwave for 90 seconds. And frozen veggies. I went back for seconds on the meat balls (then finished off what my wife didn't), but I had lots of rice and veggies so here's hoping that balanced out :) On the plus side, no Diet Pepsi at all last night.

Only minor snack cravings, which I blame on the rice (which always leaves me hungry in an hour). Settled for a Special K bar, and had Crystal Light afterwards.

So besides my morning coffee and OJ I had only water yesterday, sometimes with Crystal Light.

Didn't go for any additional walks during the day or evening, but I also had no Diet Pepsi so overall I'm counting it as a day :D

Breakfast:

same

Lunch:

Whole wheat bagel, turkey, lettuce, bacon, green pepper

A delicious cookie :oops: (I wouldn't have eaten it if my wife didn't already buy it for me because she knows how much I love them)

Workout:

Usual Special K pre-workout snack

ALMOST didn't go to the gym. Really had a struggle with it yesterday, even as I was on my way out the door to go. In my car I coulda turned right to go to the gym, or left for home. And in the end I turned right and tried not to think about it too much. Really glad I went though. On Wednesday I had a bad cough, so I got winded really quick and didn't feel like I got much of a workout. Yesterday my breathing was great so I took advantage and really went for it. I've got cuts all over my feet now from kicking the punching bag, but it's worth it :)

Supper:

Usual banana and yogurt 30 minutes after the gym. Had an early supper of steak, potatoes, and frozen veggies. Cut down on the potatoes portion again, only had half a steak. Doubled up on the veggies.

Snacks:

Another Special K bar after supper.

Fruit with a dip which was super bad for me. But on the plus side, lots of fruit.

Only drank water (after my morning OJ and coffee). Not even Crystal Light this time.

So, not a great day for snacking (the cookie and the fruit dip broke my no sugar rule), but I had a great workout at the gym, and I can feel a difference already. (I had to tighten my belt another notch this week, and it's already feeling loose again. And the scale at the gym is starting to go the way I want).

No afternoon or evening walk (too cold on lunch break, and my wife walked the dog before I got home).

All in all, I'm calling the day a victory because of the no Diet Pepsi (second day in a row!) and great workout

I, like you, get hit by the desert monster a lot. I always want something around 7PM and fruit does not always cut it. I read about a GREAT tasting treat in Men's Health a few years ago (it can be a little expensive): Ricotta Cheese with Vanilla.

Get about a half-cup of Ricotta, add a small bit of vanilla extract (seriously, add too much and it will taste like the bottom of a shoe...or so I imagine) and some Truvia to taste.

It tastes great, has no "bad" carbs, and is packed with protein. I would liken it to a healthy pudding.

My only word of warning is, it does have a decent amount of fat in it, so don't over-do it. But, it is filling. Sometimes I will only eat about half of it and save the rest for the next night.

-Don-

mmm, not really a cheese fan, but keeping with rule #5 I will give it a try before the month is done. :)

I'll let ya know how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion

Fair enough man. I am a picky eater too. I will say this, it does not taste like cheese. I would recommend finding a cheaper ricotta though. In case you dont like it, you dont want to drop $6 on something you will waste.

Just updating to help my resolve tonight :)

I will not drink beer this weekend

Third time's the charm I guess?

I have to get up early on Saturday, so that should help for no drinks tonight. And thank god I'm the driver on Saturday, because we're curling, which is a drinkers sport if there's ever been one.

Since I'm updating:

Breakfast:

same

EDIT:

Had a mid-morning apple. Forgot about that at first. It's out of the norm, but may be part of the norm from now on.

Lunch:

Left overs

Having my traditional Friday afternoon coffee, but not from the usual spot, so Sugar Twin instead of actual sugar (but just as much cream).

Suppers already planned out (speghetti... using "smart" pasta... which I think means high fiber). And no snacks in the house, so I'm optimistic on the food in take today. Plus I'll be at the gym after work. I'm officially going to try the ricotta and vinala tonight as well, so wish me luck. Do you just mix it all together? Or put the vinala and sugar twin (which I'm assuming is the same as truvia) on top?

EDIT:

Went to the gym, only to realize I didn't pack any clothes in my gym bag. Only the wraps. And I didn't have time to go home and get them and make it back to the gym. I took it as a sign to take the night off.

On the plus side: no beer, no rum and coke, and no snacks for the night. At probably too much for supper.

On the plus plus side:

I finished Mass Effect 2 (in time to start Final Fantasy 13 this Tuesday). Holy crap it was good

Been avoiding this long enough I guess. Didn't do real great eating-wish this weekend.

Saturday:

same ole Cheerios breakfast, plus a hard boiled egg (which was my first, and probably last time I'll eat one of those). For lunch we went to this little cafe place. I ended up having a cold chicken plate (which was a few slices of chicken [just white meat], roll, potato salad, and coleslaw). Which wasn't too terrible, and certainly not as bad as the burger and fries that looked amazing (home made fries and everything, which is one of my favourite things in the world). I did indulge and have a cookie for desert. I had a coffee after that, but managed to not have a donut so that's a plus. But despite my "I will not drink beer this weekend" repeats I had 2. We were curling, and lost the first game, so we thought a little liquid courage wouldn't kill us (and it worked... we won the second). Subway for supper, and no snacking that night.

Sunday breakfast was an apple, yogurt, and a dozen or so mini Reese peanut butter cups. Lunch was nachos, and supper was this sweet and sour chicken thing from a restaurant (lots of veggies and rice with it).

Exercise:

curling 2 games on Saturday

housework on Sunday (I know lame excuse, but when we spend 3 hours cleaning the house top to bottom I'm still pretty tired and a bit sweaty... there was a lot of lugging things up and down stairs, and cleaning the floors was quite a bit of work, even did a little cleanup on the walls which we don't always do, so I'm counting it)

In the end: didn't eat real well, but compared to last weekend I did amazing. The bottom line is both times I went out to a restaurant to eat I made better choices than what I normally would. On Saturday that burger and fries combo looked amazing, and on Sunday wings and fries would have done the trick nicely. But I made a healthier choice, which is kind of the point of this whole challenge for me, so I'm not too beat up about it. I'm going to try to limit my fries and X meals more.. that's usually my staple food when I go out to eat.

Well yesterday was a stressful day at home with the dog, so I had a few more cookies and more pop than I normally would have, but all in all it was a good day.

Same ole breakfast.

Salad soup and garlic bread for lunch.

Meatballs and rice for supper.

Usual workout with kick boxing.

Usual water throughout the day, coffee and OJ at breakfast. Diet Pepsi with lunch and supper. More water and Crystal light in the evening. Usual Special K pre-gym and banana post-gym snack. But a few cookies and Reese's mini peanut butter cups which I'm not too beat up about

EDIT: Forgot to mention results

Gym scale had me at 186 pounds last night. Which is down 5 pounds from last week. I think in truth it's likely 2 or 3 pounds. Last week when I did the weigh-in on Monday it was after a weekend of eating nothing but salty/greasy food, so I suspect I was a little bloated, and lately I've been overing around 188 189 anyway, so 191 might have been a bit skewed. Still though, the needle is noticeably a bit more to the left than it was this time last week.

I didn't take any size measurements, but I'm definitely a bit smaller. Judging by how some jeans fit, and the fact that I had to tighten the belt a notch, I'm guessing I'm down 0.5-1 inch-ish

Breakfast: same as ever day

Lunch: Left over rice/chicken/veggies (green and red pepper, mushroom) in sweet and sour sauce

Supper: home made lasagna

Usual hour of kick boxing.

15 minute dog walk

FFXIII for 2 hours :D

Feeling pretty burned out today. I think I'll scale back to kickboxing 3 days a week and focus more on the diet. Long walks with dog on the off-days maybe. Not looking forward to the gym tonight and I may end up skipping it if my wife will skip with me.

Mood has been pretty crappy the last couple of days so it's affected things a bit. Eating was generally good yesterday, though I snacked on Reese's peanut butter cups again. Made it to the gym, but for all the energy I had I might as well have stayed home. As the instructor said though: "It's better to show up and fail than not show up at all." Think I'm just getting burned out from a few things.

So today I'm starting off on the right foot. Already feeling more optimistic, taking the afternoon off work to unwind a bit, and making it into the gym tonight with my wife. Already have a few weekend meals planned out, so we'll do that instead of eating out like usual, although there will definitely be some beer consumed this weekend. Hoping to end the week off on a high.

Going into next week I'm cutting my gym trips down to 3-4 per week, instead of 5. Tuesdays are always tough to get to, so I'm dropping that day. I'll make Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and Thursdays we'll just see how I'm feeling week to week. On the off days we're going to take the dog on the one path that takes us an hour to walk it. With the weather getting really nice lately it's great motivation to head outside. This weekend I think we're going to try running with the dog for the first time.

Friday was really good (minus the ice cream snack at the end of the night. Great workout and half decent eating.

No workout on Saturday or Sunday. Nice dog walk on Saturday though. I did enjoy the rest. Eating was again not bad on the whole, but I had wings and fries Saturday night. And some beer throughout the weekend. All and all I'd say it was about average. Could've eaten a bit better, but usually I'm a lot worse on the weekend so that's a win. And we could've walked the dog more/farther, but the heat was a bit too much for him we thought.

This week's gym schedule is not looking great. Hoping to get in 3 visits. I've decided to cut down my 5 visits to 3 or 4, and just because of a few things going on in the evenings I think it's going to be a 3 visit week. But lots of family coming on the weekend so that should a) encourage better eating since it's pricy for so many to eat out B) encourage me to get out more, because I need my space so when there's lots of company I have to leave the house to get my own space.

Great workout at the gym last night. It's mostly girls in the kickboxing class, but I had a guy next to me last night who is in great shape and I tried keeping up with him. Didn't last long, but I kept pace with him for most of the skipping at the beginning of the class, and I find when I get a good start like that the rest of the workout is awesome. One of the better ones I've had in a while.

Trying to decide if I'm heading back tonight. I have to miss Wednesday and Thursday, so I'd like to go tonight, but my calves are pretty achy so I'd like to give them a rest of a day. We'll see. Probably end up going. ..

Eating was pretty good. Snacked a bit in the evening, but it was a fairly healthy snack, I just had a lot. Not as much water throughout the day since I forgot my water bottle at home. House is officially devoid of pop though so that's one temptation finally gone.

My weight was back around the 188 mark on the scale last night. I'll check again tonight as sometimes I find there's quite a bit of fluctuation from day to day. I'm hoping it's because of putting on muscle mass last week, but I suspect it's more to do with the 12 beer and wings and fries on the weekend

Well I'm calling this a big fat fail for myself but I don't feel too crappy about it.

Part of the problem is that I went pretty hard in the gym starting the second week of February, so by the time mid-March rolled around I crashed and burned. I missed pretty much a whole week in the second half of March because of being sick, and just being busy at home.

I did OK for avoiding the sugary foods for the most part. Though I had a major chocolate craving and caved into that yesterday. Than apple pie and ice cream in the evening.

My eating out food wasn't great, but there were a few times where I consciously picked a healthier alternative than what I normally did.

Last week I didn't eat out at all, which is pretty good (I usually have one or two days that I eat at the cafeteria for lunch at work, and usually on the weekends my wife and I go out somewhere). And I had to tighten my belt another notch. So I didn't meet my goals, but I'm still down 6 pounds from the beginning of March (not that that won't fluctuate again), and I'm a little slimmer, so at least I can say I'm happier with myself now than when I was a moth ago.

I did take a before pic. I'll try to get in the after tonight and we'll see how that looks

Sign in to follow this