Let's try this again...6 week challenge!

smashmp

Just a quick update:

Hit a new PR for DL yesterday at 215 lb! My dilemma: I need to buy more plates!

On an equally positive note, I also got my squats back up to 165 lb, which is just a few pounds over my current bodyweight (162).

Here's last night's workout:

Deadlift:

• 185x5
  • 195x4
  • 205x3
  • 215x2

Squats:

• 135x5
  • 145x4
  • 155x3
  • 165x2

Bench Press:

• 95x3
  • 95x3
  • 95x3

Barbell Curl (bar only):

• 5 sets of 5

Only thing I'm very clearly struggling with at this point is my bench. Trying not to feel defeated, but it's tough when I look at the progress made on DL/squats over the last year, and bench has only crept up slightly from 75 lb. If anyone has pointers for improving my bench, I'm all ears. 

• Like 1

"Stay strong until you win against yourself. At the end of the day, you will always be the winner." - Rika Usami

Deadlift Goal: 300 lb (136.078 kg)

71.7%
71.7%

Bodyweight: [start: 185 lb] [Current: 161 lb] [Goal: 135 lb]

44%
44%

UPDATE!

I'm happy to report that I've finally achieved goals set out in a 6WC. On Sunday (5/17/15), I had my karate exam. I slipped up on a turn early into the exam that kinda threw my head out of the game, but I did my best to shake it off and keep going. Up until that point, I knew I was overthinking every single move. After silently calling myself an idiot, I took a breath and reminded myself that this really isn't any different than what we do in class every week. So, I tried putting myself in class instead of pressuring myself to land everything since I was being tested.

Got through the rest of the exam and felt pretty good, except for the one hackjob of a turn I made. Went to class yesterday and the results were in: I passed!

Promoted from yellow to blue is a nice way to ease out of this challenge and prep myself for the next one since there's a massive gap between now and my next exam; likely another year before I test.

• Like 2

"Stay strong until you win against yourself. At the end of the day, you will always be the winner." - Rika Usami

71.7%
71.7%

44%
44%

NICE. Congratulations! Way to make it happen. Now you have plenty of time to grind for the next exam when it comes on down. :)

Also, don't freak about the bench press. Women have a tendency to struggle when it comes to building upper body strength. Which isn't to say it can't be done - it totally can - but it'll take you longer to get there than it will with your lower body movements.

Nothing to freak out about. Just keep focusing on getting stronger. The rest will come in time.

• Like 2

And just like that, it's over.

Not much new to report, other than I had a very busy weekend and still managed to get a good lift in. I've started squatted heavier without my belt. Previously, I was unable to DL 205 without a belt, but knocked out a set of 3 yesterday with no belt and good form. Still wearing the belt for 215, but overall, a vast improvement.

Speaking of belts, I'm pretty excited to officially wear my new rank in karate this week. It's been a good challenge and really helped me shrug the plateau I'd hit both in my lifting routine and my body measurements. Since this challenge, I've finally broken the 165 lb bodyweight mark and currently hover around 160-162. I've hit DL PRs and just generally feel good again.

Onto the next one.

• Like 2

71.7%
71.7%

44%
44%