The Tale of the metal_weaver - Chap 2

Where's Chapter 1?

Chapter 1 documents ALL of the failures of the past (past challenges included). Been there. Done that. Learned from it. Moving on now.

This is my story. I can write it how I want.

The Bigger Picture (or, why am I doing this?!)

Y'know what's funny. I'm scared. I have never been fit. I've been overweight my entire life. And yes, I mean the whole dang thing. I don't know what I'm going to look like without this suit of living jelly-armor that I have created for myself... and I'm scared of it. I don't know if I'm going to like what I see. But I need to stop being a daeva, stop focusing on what I LOOK like (or what I am going to look like) and start caring for my HEALTH. You only get one pass at this life thing. I need to stop living in fear of "what if" and "what now" and just get to the living part!

Focus...

on what I want instead of what I don't want (to do). Keep it positive. (e.g., instead of "I will not eat out at work today" I will rather tell myself "I will aim to enjoy 3 different kinds of tea instead of 2 today!" or some other such silly thing)

- this is less of a goal (since it's not really measurable) and more of an aspiration. I'm listing it in here to keep it top of mind during my challenge.

---

Fuel...

the body I want, not the body I have. I will stop feeding my cravings. Period. 

Goal #1: Follow the Fast5 intermittent fasting guidelines (essentially fasting from 9pm thru 5pm the next day) for the work week. I have a desk job and don't have many physical demands throughout my day, so this, I feel, is reasonable. I've already been doing it after a fashion, so this is really just tightening the belt and doing away with the coffee additives and temptation to get lunch from the plethora of fast food places around.

*During my eating window I will focus on veggies and protein w/ a fruit of some sort incorporated into the meal instead of keeping this "dessert" mentality that is literally killing me and harming the health-outlook of my kids.

... For the weekend: at this point it's damage control. My "shoot for the moon" is Paleo-style eating. My "land among the stars" range is undefined and somewhat vague because it all depends on the situation. Fail. (lol)

Goal #2: I will log what and how much I eat on the weekends. Let's start there.

---

Research & Recover

I tore my right Achilles tendon, so I'm currently nursing that back to health. I'm really hesitant to do much of any workouts and can't effectively walk for fitness so I'm going to be using this time to really buckle down and focus on getting my diet in line with my long term goals.

I will be researching this week what exercises/movements I can do without putting strain on my tendon. Revised goal to come.

---

Meditate

My good friend helped walk me through how to meditate once (and he's got a soft, calming voice to boot) and it was the most ridiculously relaxed I think I have ever felt in my life. I must do this again! And again. And again.

Goal: start meditating for 5 minutes twice a week (allotting 10 minutes of time since I don't know how to just get into the zone right away) and ramp up to meditating for 10 minutes 3 times a week.

---

(re)Create...

my sister's chainmail bra and dance belt. I've started working on it and I forgot how FUN it was to engage in my hobby.

Goal: to have my sister's belt adjusted and her bra finished & fitted (project completed) by Memorial Day (slightly past the challenge window, but I have to work around both of our schedules for times to get together since she lives 2 hours away).

Will post pictures. ^_~

---

That's what I got. Let the good times roll.

• Like 1

I like the way you skipped the first chapter and jumped straight into the action. Trying to work around an injury is a bummer, but you seem to have a really good attitude and have managed to work around it to create an interesting challenge. Following along if it's ok.

• Like 1

Level: 3    Race: Wood Elf

STR: 4    DEX: 4    STA: 5 CON: 4    WIS: 4    CHA: 5

Previous Challenge Current Challenge

Spoiler

5%

Bodyweight Workout 3X per week (1of 18 total)

8%
8%

Cardio 2X per week (1 of 12 total)

23%
23%

30 Days of Yoga - Day 7 Completed

I like the way you skipped the first chapter and jumped straight into the action. Trying to work around an injury is a bummer, but you seem to have a really good attitude and have managed to work around it to create an interesting challenge. Following along if it's ok.

Haha, thanks Dame! I agree, having this injury is a major bummer, especially since I eventually want to parkour, but I need to make sure it heals up right so I can continue to follow my dream.

Totally on board with you following my thread! Always helpful to know someone's watching; helps keep me out of trouble. ^_~ 

• Like 1

Yesterday was pretty winning on the Fast5 thing. Had a naked chili chicken wrap from McD's for dinner (put down the torch and pitchfork! Crazy run-around night from the moment I got home last night and needed to feed the kids something on the run on less than $20 and knew if I didn't get something for me too I was going to binge. I opened the tortilla and ate the innards. Grilled chicken, of course. Was freakin' delicious. Going to have to make chili chicken salads for dinner some night).

Seeing as it was non-stop till 9:15p, I didn't get in any meditation, chainmail or research last night. Could have done some meditation, but honestly I didn't think about it.

Week One

Fast5 M-F: [-] [-] [W] [_] [_]

Log Sa-Su: [_] [_]

Research: [_]

WorkOut: [requires research]

Meditate: [_] [_]

Thursday recap:

So Thursday nights are my game nights. I drive 90 minutes to "the Compound" and we play Vampire (new WoD). Just getting into a new game, so last night was all about vetting. I scored full bonus XP for my vet scene -- SO HAPPEH! That really speaks to my progress as a role player. Yay progress! ;P

Anyway, rocked my Fast5 goal. Someone already had gotten me dinner from Culver's (based on previous orders) so I had a mushroom swiss burger and onion rings waiting for me when I got there. Mowed through the o-rings (won't touch fries but onion rings get me almost every time) and threw out the buns on my burger (so it was just 2 beef patties, mushrooms and cheese - no other condiments). Gave my drink away and stuck to water. One of the other players even brought cheese cake and I resisted the urge all night! WOOT! Kept telling myself it wasn't going to taste as good as I was imagining it and I would feel sick afterwards, which is a very real possibility. Ignored the chip bag that got passed around, too. Lots of snacks there tonight. Not normal... but oh well. Easy enough to ignore when you're on a natural high from passing the vet! 

Got done with other human interactions around 1:45am but was still a little wired (no caffeine was consumed the entire evening) so seeing as I crash on the couch (as opposed to driving 2 hours when I'm dog tired) I decided to try meditating. Set my phone timer for 11 minutes (1 minute to get situated and 10 to get it done) Took me probably about 3 minutes to relax so I actually guess I meditated for about 6-7 minutes. :D Purposefully ended it because I didn't want it just to be a "hey, go to sleep now" but more like a "you need to relax before you sleep" thing. And I needed to brush my teeth yet. ;P

So yeah! Winning day yesterday. Winning so far this morning. Enjoyed a nice cuppa tea and already polished off 1 liter of water. Ah the sweet sweet taste of success. ^__^

Week One

Fast5 M-F: [-] [-] [W] [T] [_]

Log Sa-Su: [_] [_]

Research: [_]

WorkOut: [requires research]

Meditate: [Th] [_]

Week One Finale

Fast5 M-F: [-] [-] [W] [T] [F]

Log Sa-Su: 

Research: [_]

WorkOut: [requires research]

Meditate: [Th] [_]

So I fell short of my meditation goal. As well the researching the difference exercises that would be safe to do with my injury. Grr.

Onward and upward! Gonna make this happen this week!

WEEKEND FOOD LOG:

Saturday: didn't have breakfast. Had 1cup (per the measuring cup) of homemade mac 'n cheese for lunch with the kids cause I was jonesin' for it. Dinner happened at the in-laws and we ironically had more mac 'n cheese (yup, the kids argued fiercely over this fact. Ha. NOT!) and kielbasa. I had a small scoop of pasta and probably 4 3" pieces of sausage.  NOT the best day by far, but we normally don't have pasta for lunch.

Sunday: didn't have breakfast again. Lunch was leftover sausage from Saturday (2 3" pieces). Dinner was a frozen beef stew type meal thing that needed to get eaten up. Ate maybe 2 of the little potato pieces in there before pawning them off on the 7yr old. Had almost half of a family-sized bag of frozen okra along with the veggies from the stew (carrots and green beans) along with a couple small chunks of beef. Teased the hubby that I should have had him make up the rest of the okra. I LOVE that stuff. Ermahgersh. :3

Liquid Calories. I don't drink soda. Don't drink much if any milk (it makes me break out and get all mucus-y). If I do coffee, it's gotta be doctored, so I generally don't drink coffee often. Fortunately for me, I like water and tea. So just wanted to get that out there. IF I drink something other than water or unsweetened tea, I will report it. Cause it becomes a food at that point.