K-Prime gets up and dusts herself off...

K-Prime

It's time to get back on the horse! I had a great start, then petered out due to various life reasons, then spent the last couple of months being embarrassed to drag myself back. I think most people know that feeling, amirite? 

BUT I also know what an awesome and welcoming group this is, so I've come up with some new goals and decided to throw my hat in with you band of merry adventurers! I'm glad to be back.

Mission:

To continue my life's goal to become Batgirl. 

batgirl_promo_dc_comics.jpg

I actually got to meet Gail Simone at Emerald City Comic Con last month and tell her that Barbara Gordon is my fitness idol and someone I really aspire towards. It was an incredible moment, especially when she held my hand while telling me that she tries to write Barbara as a very human role model, someone to look up to, and she was happy that was how I took her. Since then, my efforts have redoubled! 

I've kept up weight training over the past several months, but now I'm interested in adding in a component of bodyweight exercises. I don't want to be pointlessly big or strong; I want to be able to use my body. I'm just at the beginning stages, but long term I'd like to be able to climb a rope and do handstand push ups. 

I'd also like to get down to 21% BF. I'm currently sitting around 27%. Unfortunately I have PCOS, and while I have it much better than many people with this syndrome, I still need to take it into account and accept that I'm going to have an extremely difficult time with this particular goal. But that's what makes the challenge interesting, right? 

6 Week Challenges:

1. Strength Training 4x/Week

- I currently meet with my personal trainer once a week to work on bodyweight training, so that only leaves 3 more days that I need to get off my butt and do my weight training. Totally doable. 

Grading: 4x/Week - A

3x/Week - B

2x/Week - C

2. Moksha Yoga 3x/Week

- I started going to yoga a few months ago, but fell off the wagon. I really enjoy it, though, and am looking forward to getting back into it. The studio is only a block and a half from my apartment and has classes all the time, so I really have no excuse to not go. 

Grading: 3x/Week - A

2x/Week - B

1x/Week - C

3. Stick to my Meal Plan 5x/Week

- I don't have a crazy strict meal plan, so really this shouldn't be that hard. Eat food with whole ingredients, don't eat out, no junk. My weakness is when I'm at the grocery store (damn you chocolate bar stands at the till!) or when I'm at school. I'll need to focus on being prepared so I have healthy choices if I do get snacky. My partner works out of town from Monday to Friday, so I'll loosen up my food choices on weekends when she's here, but nothing outrageous. I'll be tracking this all using the handy dandy My Fitness Pal.

Grading: 5 Days - A

4 Days - B

2-3 Days - C

Let's do this!

• Like 1

Level 2 Human Hero (in training) 
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke

Current Challenge

1st Challenge

Twitter | Instagram

My week so far...

Monday - I'm not counting Monday. I didn't find out the new challenge had started until Tuesday. Ha!

Tuesday - Went for breakfast with some old co-workers but made healthy choices. Simple english muffin, egg, slice of cheese. I stopped eating pork a few months ago and it's really cut down on my options of breakfast meat, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I then hit the gym to start my new and improved upper body routine. I had a slight stumble when I got to class last night and was presented with birthday mini-cupcakes from one of the women in my program, but I limited myself to 2 and shared the rest (instead of the 6 I would have had previously). I still kept to 1550 calories for the day, which is around where I try to end up each day. 

I also got some meal prep done yesterday. My favourite protein powder brand, Vega One, just came out with two new flavours so I treated myself to a new jug of coconut almond for my smoothies. I also broiled a few chicken breasts and got a huge container of spinach and some avocado for lazy salads. I'm already feeling better prepared for my night classes this week!

• Like 1

- Arthur C. Clarke

Current Challenge

1st Challenge

Twitter | Instagram

Wednesday Update:

Met with my PT today and she started teaching me how to climb a rope. I, uh, wasn't prepared for hard it was. But now I know the steps! Conveniently my gym has a hanging rope in one corner, so I can practice whenever I feel like it. I have new appreciation for the trend of wearing knee high socks. We also worked on my pistol squats, which are coming along nicely, and did 200 kettlebell swings. 

I also finally FINALLY got back into the yoga studio! 1st class in a couple of months today, and it was with a new teacher. I didn't enjoy her style as much as some others, but it still felt great to go through the motions. I'm looking forward to going back! Probably tomorrow, so I can fit in my 3 sessions per week this week. 

I'm proud of my food diary for today, and still have 200 calories left for snacking before bed. I'm currently hooked on instant oatmeal mixed with coconut almond milk. Yum yum! 

• Like 1

- Arthur C. Clarke

Current Challenge

1st Challenge

Twitter | Instagram

WooT! Holy cow, super excited to see you back :D AND DUDE GAIL SIMONE AND ECCC AND WOOOOWWWWWW!!! That is so great!

Let's do this thing!

will-smith-celebration-gif.gif

• Like 1

Level 5 Human Assassin

Current Challenge: x

Previous Challenges: 4 3 2 1

"Iron Man's got a suit, and the Hulk's pretty strong. And Thor he's like a god, and me I'm just a guy... Just a regular guy in a not so regular world. What's a man to do when I know I'm just a regular guy in a not so regular world?...They're like 'Yo, ain't you that Hawkguy dude?' And I'm like, Nah, you got me confused."

- from "Hawkguy", Adam WarRock

D'awww

tumblr_n40mdwyOgy1smcbm7o1_250.gif

Level 5 Human Assassin

"Iron Man's got a suit, and the Hulk's pretty strong. And Thor he's like a god, and me I'm just a guy... Just a regular guy in a not so regular world. What's a man to do when I know I'm just a regular guy in a not so regular world?...They're like 'Yo, ain't you that Hawkguy dude?' And I'm like, Nah, you got me confused."

Thursday Update:

Woke up this morning, rolled to the side of my bed, put my feet down, stood up, fell back down. WOW did those pistol squats and kettlebell swings do a number on my legs! It isn't often that I get sore like this anymore, so I weirdly relish it when it does happen. 

Since today was my tentatively scheduled leg day, however, I opted to skip my workout and go for a couple of long walks throughout the day instead. 

I still kept my food on point, and was able to fit in meeting some friends for a drink. Instead of my usual beer I went for a vodka and soda. Weird how I didn't feel all bloated after. :P 

• Like 1

- Arthur C. Clarke

Current Challenge

1st Challenge

Twitter | Instagram

Friday Update:

With only 2 days left to fit in 2 strength training session and 2 yoga classes, I didn't have much chance to slack off. Friday AM I was still sore from my PT session I had another upper body day. I've finally gotten my bench press up to 95 lbs, a goal I've been working towards for what seems like FOREVER. I also did 2 sets of 4 full extension chin-ups, woohoo! 

Friday PM was a 60-min yoga class. I had a couple of difficulties with some of the positions but overall the stretching felt awesome. I'm glad I added the yoga to my challenge this time. 

My partner came home on Friday night, so we went out to an art show and had a couple of drinks, and stopped for ice cream after. Not exactly part of the food plan, but still delicious. 

Saturday Update:

I got up early from my warm bed and left my partner and dogs sleeping so I could hit the gym for an overdue leg day and still make yoga class for 10AM. Dedication!

I started doing split squats with dumbbells in this session. I try to make sure I'm changing up my routine every 6 weeks or so, and this exercise will definitely be sticking around for a little while. My gym also finally got new jump ropes, so I'm trying to add in 3 rounds of skipping at the beginning of my workouts as a warm up. It's a lot harder than it looks! I couldn't believe how sore my feet and lower legs were after the first day. I can't wait to see the change this makes with my running and hiking. 

I was able to make it to the studio in time for the 10AM class. I was a bit nervous for this, since it was a 90-min class and I haven't done one of those in MONTHS. Happily it was my favourite instructor, someone who really loves the concept that the savasana is the hardest pose in yoga as it requires you to be still, so there were several long breaks. I'm really feeling it in my glutes today, though!

I took the day off from food tracking, since Ania was back. Still kept aware of portion control and made sure to eat lots of veggies. 

1st week completed! Roundup post with thoughts and feelings to come!

• Like 1

- Arthur C. Clarke

Current Challenge

1st Challenge

Twitter | Instagram

Woo!! Overall sounds like your week probably went pretty well :D Your Saturday is an inspiration; I am super impressed!!

Level 5 Human Assassin

1st Week Impressions

Strength Training - A

Yoga - A

Stick to Meal Plan - B

Overall, I think I did fairly well this week. I was already halfway to doing these already, but putting it down in writing really made me tighten it up (of course, that's why we're all here). My partner was also quite supportive when she was home this weekend, and didn't give me any grief about getting up early on Saturday to spend the morning at the gym and yoga studio. I think it helps that my physique is changing enough now that she's really appreciating the new body. ;)

There's a few things I could be doing to be more successful. I need to stop waiting until the end of the week to rush through all my classes/gym sessions. It's doable but just stresses me out. I also need to get up and at 'em first thing in the morning. I have a really hard time with motivation the later in the day it gets, especially when it comes to going to the gym. It's fairly quiet in the morning but gets crazy in the evenings, leading to unpleasant gym experiences. Along the same vein, I need to start budgeting my time a bit better. I find that I'm not giving myself quite enough time to get in my full and proper workout before having to leave for yoga class, and I've been dropping (on average) an exercise and the end of routine cardio. I can do better.

As for food, I can be stricter. I find it easy to start slacking off as soon as Ania gets home, when really to complete this challenge I just need to hold off for a few hours until Saturday AM. It won't kill me. 

Woo!! Overall sounds like your week probably went pretty well :D Your Saturday is an inspiration; I am super impressed!!

Thanks! I was pretty freaking tired by the end of it haha. I'm thinking of trying out some flow classes to see what they're like but I'll definitely be saving that for days when I'm not also hitting up a crazy gym session.

• Like 1

- Arthur C. Clarke

Current Challenge

1st Challenge

Twitter | Instagram

THAT PIC IS AMAZING!! You are a beast! Also I adore your phone case :D

Sounds like you've got a really good idea of what you gotta do this week. On to victory!

lolbrary.com_51130_1386363408.gif

• Like 1

Level 5 Human Assassin

Monday Update:

I decided to take today off from yoga and spend as much time as was needed at the gym, and it felt amazing. 3 x 3 minute rounds of skipping, an hour of upper body strength training including working on my one-armed push up progressions, then 20 minutes of speed walking up at 12% incline. Feel the burn! 

I then followed up by grabbing a chocolate bar at the store. Gah! Not an auspicious start to the week, but it's only one day. Everything else I ate was awesome and super healthy, although I didn't need that last banana and peanut butter. :P 

• Like 1

- Arthur C. Clarke

Current Challenge

1st Challenge

Twitter | Instagram

Tuesday Update:

My morning started with a session with my trainer. We spent the first half doing dynamic stretches and working on my rope climb. I made it almost to the top! I'm pretty pumped at my progress with this. I feel like now I'm learning how to do more useful things with my new improved strength. Or at least things that look cool. The second half of the session was HIIT style, with jump rope, burpees, kettlebell swings, and tuck jumps. Between that and the 9 minutes of jump rope I did as a warm up, my lower legs were buzzing for several hours after my workout. 

My food was bang on for the day. I got a new pesto hummus that makes a delicious snack when paired with raw pepper slices for when I get snacky. I pre-packed my dinner for school tonight which helped me avoid the convenience store on campus. Hopefully I will be just as successful tomorrow.

• Like 1

- Arthur C. Clarke

Current Challenge

1st Challenge

Twitter | Instagram

Holy rope climb, Batgirl!

Level 5 Human Assassin

Wednesday Update:

My shoulder was surprisingly sore from my session the day before, likely from the rope climbs, so I stuck with just yoga. I had class last night, and I've been doing great at bringing enough food with me to avoid the convenience store. Definite win for me so far. 

I've been getting a bit bored with my lower body workout, so I went through bodybuilding.com and made some adjustments, adding some new exercises and dropping a couple. I'm hoping this kickstarts my legs back into it. I also need to get started on my hill training, since the Grouse Grind is opening in a couple of weeks. They don't call it Mother Nature's Stairmaster for nothing! I did it for the first time last year and clocked my best time at 1 hr 15 min. I'd love to get it under an hour by the end of this year. For point of reference, when Matt Damon was here filming Elysium he would do the Grind as part of his regimen and would get to the top in about 46 minutes. 

- Arthur C. Clarke

Current Challenge

1st Challenge

Twitter | Instagram

I've been getting a bit bored with my lower body workout, so I went through bodybuilding.com and made some adjustments, adding some new exercises and dropping a couple. I'm hoping this kickstarts my legs back into it. I also need to get started on my hill training, since the Grouse Grind is opening in a couple of weeks. They don't call it Mother Nature's Stairmaster for nothing! I did it for the first time last year and clocked my best time at 1 hr 15 min. I'd love to get it under an hour by the end of this year. For point of reference, when Matt Damon was here filming Elysium he would do the Grind as part of his regimen and would get to the top in about 46 minutes. 

OK, now I wanna go do that! Sounds bloody difficult but also lots of fun. Too bad it's all the way up there! Don't think I'd be able to convince my mom and sister to go do that when we're day tripping in Vancouver in June... drat.

• Like 1

Level 5 Human Assassin

Long overdue update! Unfortunately I had a pretty bad weekend, emotionally, so I spent most of my time offline. Turns out adult relationships are really hard. But thankfully, things seem to be on the up and up, and the challenge continues!

Thursday update: 

I made the aforementioned changes to my lower body work out, and I feel better already. It's nice to mix it up for a couple of months. I also worked on my dips, and it really struck me how much I've improved with them since I started. When my trainer first showed them to me I really struggled to do 5 reps, let alone multiple reps. Now I can push out a dozen no problem, and routinely do 3 sets of them. BAM! 

Food was also on point. I've been working on keeping my kitchen stocked with healthy snacks and easy to grab items, and it makes a world of difference.

Friday update: 

I had a LOT of trouble getting motivated, so I ended up going to the gym later in the day and it was PACKED. While it was excellent motivation to keep me getting up and going in the morning, it didn't make Friday's experience any better. I get really uncomfortable having to interact with people I don't know, and the weight room was full of younger guys taking up the squat racks and leaning on every other piece of equipment while waiting for their turn. Every time I had to ask someone to move they were cool with it, but after the 3rd time I just gave up and went to focus on my skipping. On the plus side, I managed to do 7 rounds! (I thought my legs were going to fall off.)

Food: Killed it. 

Saturday update: 

Went to yoga! Only made it twice this week, but better than none!

Sunday update: 

Day off to deal with personal issues. Being an adult sucks sometimes. 

Monday update: 

Personal training session day! Now, it would have been really easy to slack off or skip entirely. My partner didn't know I had to get up so she turned the alarm off, and I woke up 45 minutes late. I'm also getting my period, which doesn't happen very often (due to my PCOS) so when it does I tend to hermit until it's over. I'm also just in general feeling kind of sick and crappy. 

BUT I didn't skip. I still went, and I still gave it my all. I couldn't do as much as I normally can since I just wasn't feeling as strong, but I did manage to do 5 unassisted pistol squats on both sides for the very first time. Nailed it! Sure, I went home immediately and went back to bed, and bailed on the rest of my commitments for the day, but I got my work out in. :D

• Like 1

- Arthur C. Clarke

Current Challenge

1st Challenge

Twitter | Instagram

OK, now I wanna go do that! Sounds bloody difficult but also lots of fun. Too bad it's all the way up there! Don't think I'd be able to convince my mom and sister to go do that when we're day tripping in Vancouver in June... drat.

Haha I know that feeling! I'm going to LA for a weekend in June with one of my party friends, and so far his suggestions include bars and strippers and mine include running the canyon and hiking to the Hollywood sign. :P 

But come back for longer than a day and do it! Just make sure you can take a shower after. It's INTENSE. Also, if you need any pointers/suggestions/tips/help when you're here, say the word! I've been a happy resident for the past 10 years.  :)

• Like 1

- Arthur C. Clarke

Current Challenge

1st Challenge

Twitter | Instagram

Aw man. Sorry to hear about your adult relationship problems, but I am glad to hear that they are getting better! Cats and dogs are easier to deal with but people can be more rewarding. :)

Good job on your week 2 though! Doin' stuff and aw yeah DIPS!!

The real funny thing is that I'll be in Vancouver twice this year, once in June, once in August. But June is one day with my mom and sister and August is like five hours between getting off a cruise ship from Alaska and getting on a plane to come back home. So close, yet so far. I'll have to get the fiance on board with another vacation, but it'll have to be next year since by August I'm out of vacation days already. Gah!

Level 5 Human Assassin

Yoooo, how's it going? You doing OK over there?

Level 5 Human Assassin

I'm ba-ack! 

I hit a mid-challenge posting slump, combined with following my partner out of town for a week so we could spend some more time together, but my fitness work has continued!

Week 3 Update:

Write-off. Complete and absolute write-off. Between being sick, being over tired, and staying in a hotel for the week, I did not get a whole lot accomplished, fitness or life related. I'm not happy about it, and not proud of it, but I'm trying not to be too hard on myself about it. As long as I keep getting back on the horse, right?

Week 4 Update:

On the Sunday, I did something pretty cool. My partner's (Ania, her name is Ania) step-sister was running in her first marathon and asked if I could run with her for a chunk to help keep her going. So I hopped on to the course at the 23rd KM and ran the next 6K with her! I am by no means a runner, and I despise running outside, but I think all the skipping I've been doing helped get my ankles and calves prepared for the impact. Also, running with her was fun! We chatted and enjoyed the view and just relaxed. I think we're going to sign up with her mom to run it as a relay team next year. 

My trainer was out of town, but I kept up with my regular weight training. I'm at the point now where my progression has slowed to a crawl, but it makes every increase that much sweeter. 

Yoga was only done twice last week. Now that it's getting to be super nice outside, it's a lot harder to lock myself up in a crazy hot yoga studio haha. But the more I train, the more I need it. Good thing it's just down the street from me. 

Food was on point. After a week of eating gross diner food out of the hotel, I was definitely ready to eat steamed vegetables. Mmmmm, broccoli... 

I admit, it was really hard to come back and write this update after being radio silent for a couple of weeks. You know how it goes, we set these obligations for ourselves and then get embarrassed at not meeting them or the perception of letting others down. But I feel better for having done it, and I'm pumped to finish this challenge out strong (and just in time for my weekend in LA). 

For the Rebellion!

• Like 1

- Arthur C. Clarke

Current Challenge

1st Challenge

Twitter | Instagram

This week so far...

Sunday: Started the day out with an awesome upper body workout. My chin-up count was down, but I saved it for the end of my workout so I wasn't really surprised. I've still been working on my skipping with every gym session, and it's great to see how much I've improved. And the change in my calves is INSANE. 

We met Ania's dad and step-mom for lunch at a delicious Mexican restaurant we never go to because it's across town, so following a healthy eating plan was not a part of my day. On the plus side, my burrito with extra guacamole was totally worth it. The restaurant was conveniently located two doors down from a fitness store I've been meaning to check out, though, so that killed two birds with one stone and I finally picked up my own jump rope after lunch. Now I can practice whenever I want! 

Monday: The Grouse Grind is open! So I climbed a mountain. 

I'm not going to lie, it was awful. I had forgotten how terrible climbing 235 flights of stairs can be. It's the closest I've come to throwing up in a lo-ong time. But I shaved 2 minutes off of my best time of last year, and it's only going to go down from there! I'm going to be gone for most of the summer but if I can do the Grind 1-2 a week before the end of June I should be close to my goal of under an hour. 

My eating was good for the day, I just ate a LOT. I'm justifying it by saying I climbed a freaking mountain. 

Tuesday: Session with my trainer, and my handstand progressions are coming along nicely. I finally figured out the proper stance to not bug my shoulder, and remembering to keep my head straight and focus on a spot on the wall almost doubled the amount of time I could be upside down. 

My trainer also asked if I was interested in submitting my transformation story to be posted on Huffington Post! I admit, I was pretty excited by that. I love having a trainer that pumps up my self-esteem so much. Aside from this she regularly tells me I'm her best client and that she loves my never-say-no attitude, which is a big change from how I used to approach fitness. I was strutting for the rest of the day!

Homework was the focus for the rest of my day. I have a big assignment due in one class, a midterm in another, and another midterm next week. So much dry reading!

Food was good, but I need to figure out how to keep my protein up. It's something I really struggle with. Maybe I just need to start keeping cooked chicken breast in the fridge for random snacks. 

• Like 1

- Arthur C. Clarke

Current Challenge

1st Challenge

Twitter | Instagram