Challenge #1: Iceburner is following the path...

Iceburner

Hi,

I'm Iceburner, well actually Thomas. I joined NerdFitness Academy about 2 weeks ago and so far I have a blast! I read tons of articles on diet/training/health/otherStuff and now watch my diet, log all my food and have scheduled and started my workouts. I already feel that I have more energy during the day and I am really excited and ready to start my first 6-weeks challenge. So here it goes, my noob Recruit Lv. 0 (trying to follow the Assassins path):

Main Quest: "The way is the goal..."

Goal: Continue to follow the path to a healthy lifestyle following the advice of the ones who did this before

Description: While initially I planned to define the goal of my first challenge over weight loss, I came too the conclusion that it is much more important for my first challenge to follow through with what I started. One of the risks that I face is that after all the excitement of this new experience that I still feel after this 2 first weeks I might loose interest after a while. So it is most important for me right now to just continue to level-up my diet and my workouts that lead me to a healthier lifestyle for the next 6 weeks. After those weeks I can really start to call my diet and workout my habits. This Quest is fulfilled if all three main missions have been successful. The Life Quest is a bonus.

Reward: The Armor/Helmet/Talisman of Enlightenment (Some nice NerdFitness Merchandise)

Mission 1: "No Hunger Games"

Goal: Level up on the NF Diet to LV. 6

Description: Since I wasn't eating completely unhealthy I could maintain my weight below 100 kg for several years. I had cut out sodas and sugar/milk in my coffee nearly completely for years and I had already reduced the pasta for dinner. So I started with NerdFitness at NF Diet Lv. 3. and leaving out bread for breakfast felt utterly wrong (more about that later). But it turned out to be not that hard and I am progressing well to another nutrition level-up. Right now I think Lv. 6 is the Level that I want to stay on in the long run. I will stay there for a while and see what feels right for me.

Reward: The Blade Of 1000 Slices (A new good kitchen knife) or The Shield of Burning (new awesome frying pan)

Attributes: +3 CON, +2 WIS

mission 1 progress

100%
100%

Bonus Side Quest: Avoid the temptations created by my room mate (exotic Persian candies and cookies) or her boyfriend (good Persian food containing mostly tons of rice). Resist 5 times to take 1 time.

Bonus Reward: Enjoy the cookies and candies in moderate amount when you take them. When refusing do it in the good feeling that you will reach your goal more easily.

Mission 2: "The Dirty Dozen (and a half or so)"

Goal: Continue with 2-3 scheduled workout per week (total 17) and reach Lv. 3 of the Bodyweight Brigade path

Description: I think I found a good rhythm in my workout Schedule which means I train 2-3 times per week (this week 2, next week 3 times). Already I get used to the stress put on my body by the exercises, except for push-ups and inverted rows, where I have to choose easier variants. But the important thing is that I  already see progress, which motivates me and makes me confident that I can reach Lv. 3.

Reward: Potion of Stamina/Regeneration (like BCAA, I want to wait with that until I see that I have not quit on the workout and the exercises get harder)

Attributes: +2 STR, +2 STA, +1 DEX

mission 2 progress

100%
100%

Bonus Side Quest: 1 Pull-Up, never in my life I was able to do a clean pull-up

Bonus Reward: Feel Awesome, because being able to do pull-ups is awesome

Mission 3: "13 Assassins"

Goal: Write a weekly update of the progress during the 6-weeks challenge

Description: Since the community makes us strong and from what I see so far you are very encouraging I want to share with you my progress, motivate others and myself. There do not need to be exactly 13 people reading this or commenting, I just needed a mission title.

Reward: Get some personal trainer lessons

Attributes: +3 CHA

mission 3 progress

100%
100%

Bonus Side Quest: Post at least 1 additional post per week in the forum to get closer to the community.

Bonus Reward: This warm feeling...

Life Quest: "Project Iceburner"

Goal: Publish the Iceburner Webpage.

Description: 3 years ago I reserved a domain for me with the intent to do a webpage...it's still empty, what's more to say.

Reward: Lifesum Gold Membership

Attributes: +2 WIS

life quest progress

100%
100%

Bonus Side Quest 1: Write a workout app for Android

Bonus Reward: An app that supports my workout

At last I want to share what I initially had planned as a goal:

<invalid>

Main Quest: "Beat the 90s Curse"

Goal: Loose weight until the scale shows 89,9 kg (198.4 lbs).

Description: For years my weight increased slowly but steady towards the magic 100kg mark (Not so magic 220 lbs). The last 2 years or so I kept it a stable 98-99 kg. Last year my doctor told me to lose 10kg. Start of this year I crossed the 100kg line. So now the time for a change has come. My current weight last Monday, 13th of April, was 96,8 kg (213.4 lbs). That's 6,8 kg (15 lbs) that I have to assassinate. ;)

Reward: The Armor/Helmet/Talisman of Enlightenment (Some nice NerdFitness Merchandise)

Bonus Side Quest: Put together a good playlist with music from the 90s that you can hear during workouts.

Bonus Reward: A playlist with good nostalgic music that I can hear during workouts. :)

</invalid>

So that's it. You might have noticed, that I prefer to use the metric system and that I promised some more information about why I thought it would be so hard to cut out bread from my diet. Both is related to my Nationality. But since I wrote a lot of stuff here I decided to tell that story another time.

Updates:

Weekly Report:

week 1

week 2

week 3

week 4

week 5

week 6 and overall summary

Mini Challenges:

week 1:   mission accomplished +1 WIS

week 2:   mission accomplished +1 CHA

week 3:   mission accomplished +1 CON

week 4:   mission accomplished

week 5:   mission accomplished +1 CON

week 6:   mission accomplished

Level 1 UP!:

"No Hunger Games": completed, therefore maximum attribute points CON:+ 3 ~ WIS:+ 2

"The Dirty Dozen (and a half or so)": Good progress on the workout mission, improved attributes equally STR: +1 ~ DEX: +1 ~STA: +1 

"13 Assassins": Found a great group with whom I have regular contact CHA: +2

"Project Iceburner": No progress on the life quest so far, therefore WIS +0

• Like 4

Iceburner

Lvl. 7 Human, (Lvl. 5 Assassin, Lvl. 2 Rebel)

STR: 13.25 ~ DEX: 6.5 ~STA: 14.25 ~ CON: 9 ~ WIS: 15 ~ CHA: 10

Current Quest: #9 - Finding the balance in mind and body

Battle Log

Finished Quest (challenge): #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #7, #8

Aborted Quest (challenge): #6

"Kaizen!!!" 

weight loss goal (92kg -> 87kg): |----------------------->| (currently 86.3)

waist loss goal (109cm -> 94cm): |--------->____________| (currently 103)

pull-ups (0 -> 10): |->____________________| (currently 0)

push-ups (0 -> 50): |------>_______________| (currently 12)

Welcome to the Rebellion!  With your current goals and interests, you've attracted the attention of the Assassins' Guild.... but don't worry, I'm here in a supportive capacity!  Even if you ultimately don't join us, we'd love to help you along on your journey, and there are a lot of people working on goals similar to yours within our black-clad ranks...

If you think you might like to check us out, I hope you'll come by the Assassins' Den chat and say hello!  We're very welcoming killers-in-black, really.      ;)  You can also check out the Assassin Guild Info & Announcements for more info about what's going on with the guild.  We also have our handy Assassin Phonebook, which will allow you to find people who are working on similar skills to yours.  And though we may be the bodyweight guild, we're also a guild of extreme variety - we do a bit of everything!

Additionally, if you like what you see, I encourage you to go introduce yourself on the Level 1 Assassin Initiates Q&A/Chat thread as well!  There are a lot of fun people hanging out as they consider whether to join us - and you can make new friends, ask questions of guild leadership, post awesome gifs (we wouldn't be Assassins without gif parties) and more!  I hope to see you there soon.

If you ever need anything, feel free to PM me or catch my attention by quoting one of my posts.  Otherwise, I or one of my colleagues will be stopping by to check in on you and celebrate your successes as the challenge goes on.  Now get out there and crush those goals!

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

In regards to your life quest; start jotting down random thoughts for blog post ideas, layout designs, ect. as they come to you in a site dedicated notebook or on sticky notes - then move on with what you were doing. You would be surprised by how many GREAT ideas you let slip away during the day simply because you can't stop and focus on it right at that moment.

Anyways, your quest looks SMART and I look forward to following your progess over the next 6 weeks :onthego:

• Like 1

Class: Human (Ellie-esk)

Current Attributes: STR: 0, DEX: 0, STA: 0, CON: 0, WIS: 0, CHA: 0

Current Challenge: MadMoxxi Dumps the hodunks

Quest 1: Go to the Gym at least 3x per week - with a plan! (+5.5% each visit)

11.1%
11.1%

Quest 2: No more soda (currently I am drinking 44oz + per day); Drink 8 glasses of Water instead (-4% for each Soda)

96%
96%

Quest 3: Clean up my diet by removing processed foods, refined carbs, and sugars (-5% for each bad eating day)

90%
90%

"Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back" -RuPaul

@starsapart:

Thanks stars, I already looked into the links you sent me and I'm looking forward to joining the assassins guild.

@MadMoxxie:

Thanks Moxxie, that's a good tip. I already forgot more things that I wanted to put on the webpage than I like. I hope that when I have put up my first page it will get easier to update information. So yes, noting ideas is a good thing.

general report for week 1:

Mini Challenge:

Since I put a lot of time into defining my goals I could directly put a check on the first mini challenge. :offended:

Mission 1:

I already worked on the level-up of my diet for a few weeks, so I was already able to level up to NF diet level 6. I have swapped out grains completely at breakfast for a high protein breakfast for two weeks straight. I consume a vegetable with every lunch and every dinner for 10 total days in a 2 week period, and I go one week without eating pasta. I have gone 12 out of 14 days without eating bread OR pasta, and 12 out of 14 days with a vegetable in every meal I eat. Tadaaa! :pride:

Mission 2:

I continued with my workout as planned and scheduled all workouts for the next 5 weeks. So overall I've done 2 of 17 workouts (and will do one today).

Mission 3:

This is my first update, as planned, so... check! :smug:

Life Quest:

not done anything so far... :moody:

• Like 1

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Good job with the progress so far! Keep up the good work. I like your reward system (and the names you give them!). I've developed something similar for myself on HabitRPG. Really makes you work harder towards your goals when the rewards sound that much cooler haha.

• Like 2

Thanks. I'm using HabitRPG too. It's a cool tool.

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Hey, you're doing great so far! Really respect you being able to cut out bread, it's something I'd like to be able to to eventually, it's much better without it. Keep up the good work!

Also, I'm a HabitRPG user too, although I just started over. Let me know if you want to quest sometime, I'm always up to go beat bosses!

• Like 1

Challenge 3 | Challenge 2 | Challenge 1

L3 Elf: | 0 STR | 1.6 DEX | 7.4 STA | 6.8 WIS | 8.6 CON | 3.8 CHA |

Overall Weight Loss Goal:

33.3%
33.3%

SW: 153lb CW: 142lb  GW: 120lb

Cool. I am in a boss battle in HabitRPG right now, so I don't think I can invite you to a party right now. But I will come back to that offer. My user ID for HabitRPG is 600aeac3-4d74-4f16-9746-f9afd3331cbd, so when you look for someone in the future just try if I'm available.

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

general report for week 1:

Mini Challenge:

Since I put a lot of time into defining my goals I could directly put a check on the first mini challenge. :offended:

Mission 1:

I already worked on the level-up of my diet for a few weeks, so I was already able to level up to NF diet level 6. I have swapped out grains completely at breakfast for a high protein breakfast for two weeks straight. I consume a vegetable with every lunch and every dinner for 10 total days in a 2 week period, and I go one week without eating pasta. I have gone 12 out of 14 days without eating bread OR pasta, and 12 out of 14 days with a vegetable in every meal I eat. Tadaaa! :pride:

Mission 2:

I continued with my workout as planned and scheduled all workouts for the next 5 weeks. So overall I've done 2 of 17 workouts (and will do one today).

Mission 3:

This is my first update, as planned, so... check! :smug:

Life Quest:

not done anything so far... :moody:

Awesome first week!  I'm eating at level 7 for my quest, and man is it tricky!  So, I commend you for your efforts.  I'm glad that there is a goal that is almost paleo, but a little bit more sustainable, being mindful of certain "cheat" items without cutting them out completely.  Anyway, good luck on week 2!

Level 3 Human Assassin

Challenges: 21

Awesome first week!  I'm eating at level 7 for my quest, and man is it tricky!  So, I commend you for your efforts.  I'm glad that there is a goal that is almost paleo, but a little bit more sustainable, being mindful of certain "cheat" items without cutting them out completely.  Anyway, good luck on week 2!

Yes, I looked at your challenge thread and realized that our first 2 quests looked pretty similar. Respect for trying level 7. I felt that would be too much of a change for me. Good luck to you too.

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Thanks, will do. The only "thing" that can keep me from reaching my goals is me! The last 3 days I was a bit scatterbrained and confused my scheduled workout days, mixed it up with a promise to my wife to get our bicycles from work and booked a message on the wrong day. Additionally I tried to fit in a fasting day. All in all I created a little chaos for myself, but nothing really tragic or unfixable:

On Tuesday I cycled 14km (8.6 miles, quite a distance for me) home from work. I had parked my bike for about half a year in the garage of my workplace. Since this was enough exercise for one day, I moved my scheduled workout to Wednesday.

On Wednesday I realized I had booked a message in the afternoon after work, so after having that and being completely relaxed, I went home and started my workout and ended up not so relaxed afterwards.

Today I had planned to have a fast day, where I have just 25% of my normal calorie intake, but since I had the workout yesterday and will have the next one tomorrow, I decided not to deprive me of any nutrition and eat as usual.

• Like 1

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Thanks, will do. The only "thing" that can keep me from reaching my goals is me! The last 3 days I was a bit scatterbrained and confused my scheduled workout days, mixed it up with a promise to my wife to get our bicycles from work and booked a message on the wrong day. Additionally I tried to fit in a fasting day. All in all I created a little chaos for myself, but nothing really tragic or unfixable:

On Tuesday I cycled 14km (8.6 miles, quite a distance for me) home from work. I had parked my bike for about half a year in the garage of my workplace. Since this was enough exercise for one day, I moved my scheduled workout to Wednesday.

On Wednesday I realized I had booked a message in the afternoon after work, so after having that and being completely relaxed, I went home and started my workout and ended up not so relaxed afterwards.

Today I had planned to have a fast day, where I have just 25% of my normal calorie intake, but since I had the workout yesterday and will have the next one tomorrow, I decided not to deprive me of any nutrition and eat as usual.

Well at least you were able to get back into the swing of things!  8.6 miles is definitely a lot... I don't think I've made it that far yet, so congrats!  Is this going to be a regular thing, or was it just for transportation this time?  My fiance loves biking to work but stopped over the winter (but he only has about 2-3 miles each way ;) ).

Good job adjusting your plan to make sure that you have enough fuel to exercise!  I can't even imagine fasting at this point lol.

Scatterbrained or not these past few days, it sounds like you're making great progress! And grats on the eating!

• Like 1

Level 3 Human Assassin

Congrats on your Mission 1: "No Hunger Games" completion! Looks like you knocked that one out of the park.

Thanks, it was easier than I thought because thankfully I get a lot of support from my wife and my room mate. :)

Well at least you were able to get back into the swing of things!  8.6 miles is definitely a lot... I don't think I've made it that far yet, so congrats!  Is this going to be a regular thing, or was it just for transportation this time?  My fiance loves biking to work but stopped over the winter (but he only has about 2-3 miles each way ;) ).

Good job adjusting your plan to make sure that you have enough fuel to exercise!  I can't even imagine fasting at this point lol.

Scatterbrained or not these past few days, it sounds like you're making great progress! And grats on the eating!

Thanks, This time was only a one-time-thing. But I'm thinking about making it part of my next challenge to go by bike to and from work (at least) once a week. Right now the ride is not really nice, because apart from the distance there is also a lot of construction work ongoing, so that one has to cycle quite many times over gravel and bigger pieces of crushed rock. There are some nice paths through the woods though, so let's see how motivated I can get. I'm not much of a cyclist, but since I have so much more energy right now, who knows.

How you doin' so far? It's about half the second week ;)

Second week is good so far. As posted earlier I was a bit scatterbrained, but I could catch up with my schedule. the diet part works out well and thanks to all AAAAs my third goal to get in touch with the community is a full success so far.

Yesterday I had so much energy so I just went to the gym across the street for 20 min. to do some interval training on the treadmill. Felt great!

[Edit:] But I forgot to mention, that I haven't done anything on my life quest yet. I plan to do that on the weekend.

• Like 2

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Hey there Iceburner!

Looks like you are doing really well on your first challenge! You are putting in some great work! I need to get my bike out of storage now that it's warming up again, thanks for reminding me to do that!!

I've noticed the longer I stick with a nice clean diet the more energy I have and the less it fluctuates during the day, so I believe you when you say you had so much energy that you went interval training. I'm glad things are going well, keep up the progress!

I know it can be a bit difficult doing that first challenge without a lot of support (I started my first challenge way late so I turned it into an extended challenge to sync up with everyone and only had 1 person respond.) Having multiple things changing at the same time can be overwhelming at times but if you stick with it the rewards are amazing!

-Tixnleeches

• Like 3

Starting: Weight 176lbs | Bodyfat ~19% | Current: Weight 184lbs | Bodyfat ~16.5% | Goal: Weight 190-200lbs | Bodyfat 6-10%

Level 2 Human Assassin

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

First Challenge : Completed.

Second Challenge : In progress.

Tixnleeches Epic Quest (Life Goals) : In Progress

Hi Tixnleeches,

I hope in the meantime you could gain more support. And yes, it can be overwhelming, but right now I can make the effort and focus on that. I hope later everything will be just an everyday routine.

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Hi Iceburner, 

It looks like you're doing well on your challenge :) Congratulations on slaying your first mission. 

Apparently you joined the Academy, because I have no idea what it is when you are talkingabout eating at a certain level. If so, how do you like it so far?

I like how you phrased your quests and also your rewards, they seem sensible (expecially getting good kitchenware. A good knife is worth a lot when you're cooking much). Doing a clean pullup is also a great goal that I'd like to achieve at some point. 

Also good on the energy :)

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Achillessehne

Human Assassin Lvl 2 

Feel free to add me in skype "mearuwankel", just mention nerdfitness.

Apparently you joined the Academy, because I have no idea what it is when you are talking about eating at a certain level. If so, how do you like it so far?

Hi Achillessehne, thanks for dropping by. Yes, I subscribed to the rebellion newsletter and joined the academy the same day, after I had read one of Steve's blog posts. At that time I didn't know that I could have just registered to this forum, since I didn't know those 2 (academy and rebellion forum) are seperate. But I do not regret signing up with the academy, since it showed me a good way how to start this whole new "healthy life" thingy. It is very well structured and has a lot of good articles about mindset, nutrition and exercise. Probably over time I would have found most of the information here as well, but it gave me a good kickstart and a way to follow.

At the academy the diet is devided into 10 levels, from level 1 "The Food Noob" to level 10 "The Hardcore Paleo Want-To-Have-An-Insane-Low-Amount-Of-Bodyfat Legend". I chose level 6 for now, which in short means I cut out the bread at breakfast :sorrow: and replace the carbs like pasta with vegetables most of the times, and stuff I don't remember right now, but anyway do.

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Hahah looks like I'm eating like a level 6 or so without knowing giggle giggle. I still have 50g of carbs (currently in love with steamed basmati rice) after I run my 10 kms because I know that my body needs them. I feel sore afterward otherwise.

• Like 1

• Ladygazza  :lemo: 

Race: Lightfoot Halfling | Class: Assassin

[Level: 1 | STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1 ]

​Current quest: Lemons!

Battle log: Le cahier de Mme Pie aka The Ladygazza

Accountabilibuddies: Aspiring Assassin Apprentice Accountabilibuddies

Hi Iceburner, just wanted to drop by and say thanks for making the accountabilibuddies forum, and also your reward names are super cool :D

• Like 1

Level: 2

STR 2.8| STA 1.6 | DEX 1.8 | CON 5.2 | WIS 3.8 | CHA 1.8

Challenge: 6-week challenge (assassin)

Quote: "Suck it up now so you don't have to suck it in later"

7-8hrs of Sleep

9%
9%

Healthy Eating

12%
12%

Exercise

9%
9%

Lose Weight: Starting weight = 50 kilos

0-ish%
0-ish%

Thanks, it was easier than I thought because thankfully I get a lot of support from my wife and my room mate. :)

Thanks, This time was only a one-time-thing. But I'm thinking about making it part of my next challenge to go by bike to and from work (at least) once a week. Right now the ride is not really nice, because apart from the distance there is also a lot of construction work ongoing, so that one has to cycle quite many times over gravel and bigger pieces of crushed rock. There are some nice paths through the woods though, so let's see how motivated I can get. I'm not much of a cyclist, but since I have so much more energy right now, who knows.

Second week is good so far. As posted earlier I was a bit scatterbrained, but I could catch up with my schedule. the diet part works out well and thanks to all AAAAs my third goal to get in touch with the community is a full success so far.

Yesterday I had so much energy so I just went to the gym across the street for 20 min. to do some interval training on the treadmill. Felt great!

[Edit:] But I forgot to mention, that I haven't done anything on my life quest yet. I plan to do that on the weekend.

Yeah, I can agree, having support is key.  Not that J is eating exactly the same as me, but I couldn't do it if we weren't at least somewhat on the same page.

Oh yeah, that doesn't sound fun at all.  And then you have to get ready for work at work. Ugh. J at least has a nice locker room and stuff, so he just packs everything and showers there.  I'm glad he enjoys it, but I could never do that. I would rather just make dedicated time for a ride later. To each his own. :)

I love surprise energy like that!  Awesome job taking advantage of it.

• Like 2

Level 3 Human Assassin

I love all this energy surplus you have =) I'm kinda experiencing that as well, after the BBWW I wanna do more, so I jog longer and try out some handstand, just for fun! I could do a crow pose YAAAY

• Ladygazza  :lemo: 

Race: Lightfoot Halfling | Class: Assassin

[Level: 1 | STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1 ]

​Current quest: Lemons!

Battle log: Le cahier de Mme Pie aka The Ladygazza

Accountabilibuddies: Aspiring Assassin Apprentice Accountabilibuddies