CoderGatherer Gets Back To Coding And Gathering

CoderGatherer

tumblr_msb2xyHLzu1sh01fro1_500.gif

Hello everyone! My name is Meg. This is my first challenge as a Ranger. I almost didn't do a challenge this time around, but I decided I really do need the emotional support that only my fellow Nerdians can provide.

Big changes are coming in the CoderGatherer household. My husband was recently accepted in to a master's degree through the University of Iceland. The semester starts in August. Long story short....we're totally going! While I couldn't be happier for my husband, I am getting a little overwhelmed with all that we have to do to prepare for our year long adventure. For starters we have to obtain residence visas, find a job that will let me work while I live in Iceland, reduce our possessions down to the bare minimum, find a safe home for our hound, and get physically fit enough to survive without a car. 

Needless to say, overwhelmed. But no matter! I've decided to take a step back and focus on what's important. At this point in time, I'm using my username as a guide. This means getting back in to coding (atleast 1 hour a day), eat atleast one paleo meal a day, and move more (5 bodyweight workouts a week). 

Working on coding 1 hour a day, +3 INT

tumblr_m3biyv0ofs1qinmdwo1_500.gif

Eat one paleo meal a day, +3 CON 

tumblr_muu0q3D4hh1rbk72ko1_250.gif

5 bodyweight workouts, +3 STR

tumblr_m3znh9Q1RU1r03eggo7_250.gif

(what I feel like when I do push ups)

Get all the paperwork together for Iceland, +1 WIS

200_s.gif

I look forward to meeting you all and cheering you on in this challenge! Good luck on your challenges!
  • Like 2

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

STR 9 | WIS 6 | CON 8 | CHA 3 | DEX 6 | INT 6

Current Challenge

Chapter 1 - Chapter 2 - Chapter 3 -Chapter 4 - Chapter 5 - Chapter 6

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face." - Eleanor Roosevelt

If I knew you in real life, I'd gladly take your dog for a year. I love animals!

I hope that you enjoy Iceland and find some passions to keep you occupied there (or wherever you may go).

• Like 1

Workouts (4/18)

22.2%
22.2%

Stretch Post-Workout (2/18)

11.1%
11.1%

At Least 2 Meals (7/40 days)

17.5%
17.5%

Logged Progress (4/40 days)

10%
10%

Meditate (1/40 days)

2.5%
2.5%

Newbie | Level 2

|| STR 1 || DEX 2 || STA 2 || CON 1 || WIS 2 || CHA 2 ||

Affiliations:

The Cutlasses

Fellow Nerdian checking in to support! A new adventure in Iceland, eh? Sounds exciting :D Being overwhelmed is probably bound to happen, but your goals for this challenge seem like good places to start. :)

All the best! You've got this!

Ah, loving the goals! They're nice and clear cut, easy to go for, and with everything you've got swinging, easy enough to fit in, right? You got this! :D

If I knew you in real life, I'd gladly take your dog for a year. I love animals!

I hope that you enjoy Iceland and find some passions to keep you occupied there (or wherever you may go).

Thanks everyone! You guys are awesome!

• Like 1

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face." - Eleanor Roosevelt

tumblr_n0aa505jOa1s82otzo1_500.gif

Fridays are so awesome!

Bodyweight workout challenge progress: 3/5

I'm currently doing Bodeefit workouts. Their free bodyweight crossfit workouts that are emailed to subscribers every week day. Really challenging, but I can already feel myself getting stronger. 

Additionally, I walked 1.5 miles on my lunch break. Yay walking!

Paleo Meal Progress: 3/5

Today my paleo meal was baked fish topped with sliced tomato and avocados with a side of steamed broccoli. 

(I was going to include a picture, but my phone is not cooperating)

Coding Progress: 3/5

Still struggling with the first week's homework. I decided to go through the recommended readings in the hopes that it will un-muddle things.

I'm currently taking CS50. It's the basic programming class offered free from Harvard. 

So far this is the most challenging goal. 

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

OMG!!! You're coming to Europe !!!!! :D

tumblr_inline_nf4rhzx1g51sbgh76.gif

Should I mention the fact that ICELAND IS NOT THAT FAR FROM SCOTLAND ?!? I'm so excited!!!! You are so invited to come over!!!

If you need any help whatsoever (any advice, contacting institutions, etc.) I'm there for you, ok :)

Iceland isn't thaaaaaat close to Scotland, so obviously, I can't help as much as a local, but I'm sure there'll be stuff I can do as the date approaches.

This is such great news, Iceland is really fabulous (and I might lobby to visit as well :P), you'll love it!

Concerning your challenge, I'm glad you decided to do one anyway, let's do this together!!

I'm also working on the super basics (my quests are seriously almost the same as yours). You coding, I singing, we can do this!!

• Like 2

Dancing Sylph - Level 9 Monk/Druid

Former Captain of the Nerdians of the Fitalaxy

Current Challenge

"E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle" - We came forth, and once more saw the stars, Dante

Heeeey yoooou, I see the Nerdian Captain is just-a hopping along like the awesome little coder that you are and you stay awesome and you own it because you are aaaaawwwwweeeeessssoooommmmeeeee. :D Oh, and keep on top of your groceries, haha!

• Like 1

Jaz Xiao Long | Level 2 Assassin | Half-Giant
STR: 1 | DEX: .75 | CHA: 2.5 | CON: 5.5 | WIS: 2 | STA: 1.25
"We do what we need to do, and then we live." -Rick Grimes, The Walking Dead.
Current Challenge | Challenge 1

OMG!!! You're coming to Europe !!!!! :D

tumblr_inline_nf4rhzx1g51sbgh76.gif

Should I mention the fact that ICELAND IS NOT THAT FAR FROM SCOTLAND ?!? I'm so excited!!!! You are so invited to come over!!!

If you need any help whatsoever (any advice, contacting institutions, etc.) I'm there for you, ok :)

Iceland isn't thaaaaaat close to Scotland, so obviously, I can't help as much as a local, but I'm sure there'll be stuff I can do as the date approaches.

This is such great news, Iceland is really fabulous (and I might lobby to visit as well :tongue:), you'll love it!

Concerning your challenge, I'm glad you decided to do one anyway, let's do this together!!

I'm also working on the super basics (my quests are seriously almost the same as yours). You coding, I singing, we can do this!!

Eeeeeeeeeeee I forgot you were in Scotland! OMG I hope we'll have a chance to meet up in person. That would be amazing.

I can definitely use all the help I can get. I'm just now finding out that I probably won't have a job when I get over to Iceland....so I may need your advice on working in a foreign country

Definitely overwhelmed.

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

helllooo!!! that is so amazing! what an adventure you will have!!!

Thanks Nikki! It sounds like you are going to have a grand adventure yourself as a mountie. It's so good to hear from you! :D

• Like 1

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

Heeeey yoooou, I see the Nerdian Captain is just-a hopping along like the awesome little coder that you are and you stay awesome and you own it because you are aaaaawwwwweeeeessssoooommmmeeeee. :D Oh, and keep on top of your groceries, haha!

Thanks Jaz! Wait.....I'm the captaiin? OMG I didn't even realize that. @_@ I'm such a slacker.

On to the Nerdian chat!

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

Week 1 went pretty well.

Coding Goal: 4/5.....but I still don't know what I'm doing. I"m having a ridiculously hard time with the second assignment. I swear my code should work...but it's giving me a completely wrong result.

Gathering Goal: 4/5 Sunday was an unintended cheat day. Ran out of groceries and time to get everything done.

Work out Goal: 4/5 DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Sorenss) kicked my ass Sunday. I decided to listen to my body and give it one day off. I'm so glad I did.

80% aint' bad for the first week. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

Week 2 is going strong! I got a little bit bored with the bodeefit workouts, so I decided to try something else. Then I found this.

I'm on Day 2 of the plan. I only managed one set because my legs were spasming by the end of it. It's a really good workout :)

day02.jpg

• Like 1

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

Week 2 was awesome!

Coding goal: 6/7 days

Paleo meals: 7/7 days

Body weight workouts: 4/5 days

88.5% Getting better. Much better! :D

tumblr_n28vwlNrxh1ry9luuo1_250.gif

• Like 1

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

Coding: 

I got frustrated by my CS50 class. Instead of giving up altogether, I decided to try a different programming language. I ended up deciding to brush up on my Python. It's going really well so far. So much better than C. I"m flying though it and can't wait to get my feet wet in some real world applications.

tumblr_m6pzzuVLFt1qm6oc3o1_500.gif

(Don't mind me. Just noping out of this C class)

Gathering: 

This week I tried to make eating paleo as foolproof as possible. I cooked a pound of organic breakfast sausage and a medium sweet potato on Sunday night. Now I just take a scoop of each with two eggs, stir them together and throw it all in the microwave for 3 minutes. Bam! Instant paleo meal. It's delicious and super hardy. It keeps me full well in to lunch time. 

tumblr_mn3l7uVvjI1r8o3vyo1_500.gif

(Happy breakfast makes a happy Meg)

Moving Around:

Today's workout was a mix of yoga and walking. I warmed up by doing a quick set of sun salutations (I can almost do them the standard way!) Then the whole family (husband, hound and I) went for a walk to the nearest ice cream shop. My husband got a big dip of strawberry ice cream but I resisted the sweet discomfort that my stomach knows as ice cream. I did get a small cherry coke though. Cherry coke always trumps ice cream. 

tumblr_inline_mw9vq4axIm1rt1oqx.gif

(Exactly how I looked when "limbering" up)

• Like 1

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

Things are going well!! :D

Your paleo breakfasts sound so yummy!!!!! Makes me hungry for protein!!

Awesome that you're enjoying Python! I went to a beginner crash course in November, it was really interesting!

My boyfriend is actually a tutor on a Coursera beginner coding course :) but it's surely way too basic for you.

How's the Iceland move coming along? So exciting!! :D

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle" - We came forth, and once more saw the stars, Dante

Things are going well!! :D

Your paleo breakfasts sound so yummy!!!!! Makes me hungry for protein!!

Thanks Nol! I'm really enjoying them. I'm hoping to move up to 2 paleo meals a day soon. :D

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

Coding:

I lost steam half way through the week. It's been very stressful at my current job so I've just wanted to relax once I come home.

tumblr_muwgbbYri11spqws6o1_500.gif

Gathering:

I did pretty well this week. I ate paleo almost every day. I also started focusing on portion sizes for my non-paleo meals. Healthy weight here I come!

ratatouille.gif

Moving around:

The last couple of weeks I've felt really stressed out and angry. Like really angry. As in if one more person asks me a stupid question at work I'll punch them in the face angry. Sooooo I've started lifting agan. I've found lifting heavy things to be a much better outlet for my frustration then, say, someone's face.

a1df5589024aa9909badad47e477748b.jpg

(this is exactly how I felt after I lifted)

• Like 2

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

tumblr_nimyb9gQf01u13pswo1_400.gif

I can get behind you on the punch someone in the face angry...I just happened to resign to crushing paper cups at work. Ah, sorry to hear you've been so stressed out Q~Q But one fierce look from the CoderGatherer and they'll pick up on it...eventually.

STAY STRONG.

• Like 1

Jaz Xiao Long | Level 2 Assassin | Half-Giant
STR: 1 | DEX: .75 | CHA: 2.5 | CON: 5.5 | WIS: 2 | STA: 1.25
"We do what we need to do, and then we live." -Rick Grimes, The Walking Dead.
Current Challenge | Challenge 1

Hi guys! Sorry for being MIA for awhile. The truth is one of my friends passed away suddenly last week. I only hung out with her a few times but still considered her a friend and was shocked when she passed. Her passing really put in to perspective how precious our time on this earth is. So the last week or so I've been thinking hard about where I am and what I want to do with my life.

I've decided that I'm going to focus my time and energy on things that I love. These include, but are not limited to, the following:

My family

My friends

Gaming

Knitting

Travelling

Yoga

Bike Riding

Sunshine

Nature

Watching tv shows

Reading

You'll notice that coding isn't on that list. It's true, I really don't love it. In fact, I'm not even sure I like it.

When I originally chose the name CoderGatherer, I was creating it for the person I wanted to be at the time. Truth be told, I tried being that person and didn't like it.

Because of that, not only will I be changing my name I will also be removing my coding goal. In its place I will be focusing on my current passion, knitting, and the possibility of making money from it. 

So here are my new goals:

Knitting: Knit at least 5 minutes a day

Gathering: Knit at least 1 paleo meal a day

Moving around: Do at least 10 minutes of physical activity a day

Any comments? Questions? Concerns? I'd love to hear them :)

0d1084467ba8650d22b0014198ef1ab8.jpg

• Like 1

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

This is a really great way of coping with death!  :)

I find your list lovely and your goal to knit and try making money from it wonderful! Were you thinking of Etsy to sell your creations? In any case, I am so excited to see how this project evolves for you, what you create and how you decide to share it with the world, it's really great!

• Like 1

Current Challenge