Liz's Peace of Mind Challenge

WanderingLiz

I'm coming back to challenges after a few years of slackitude not serving me so hot. My last few challenges were with the adventurers, but after much reading, I think the Druids guild speaks to me the most. And what better time to start a challenge (late) than at the end of one of my most stressful seasons -- Tax Time! I've been having some issues seeing the benefit of my depression/anxiety meds lately, and I realized my routine is ALL out of whack. What better way to reorient myself than to challenge my habit-building? :)

My main quest still feels a bit fuzzy to me, word-wise, but it's about being present in, celebrating, and caring for my body! To that end...

Quest 1: When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you will head off your foes with a balanced attack.

5 minutes of yoga, 6 days a week. This can be sun salutations, yin yoga... don't give a damn, so long as I do it. Saturdays are my 'off' day. Includes increasingly longer planks (which may become their own quest in the future).

Quest 2: He who questions training only trains himself at asking questions.

2 minutes of meditation, 6 days a week. Will likely be guided or unguided from Calm.com... other suggestions welcome!

Quest 3: When you doubt your powers, you give power to your doubts.

I'd rather not give more power to my doubts though, so I'm starting a nightly "Win of the Day" practice. 

Life Quest: To learn my teachings, I must first teach you how to learn.

Complete PHP class with an 85% average. This class is required for my current degree program. Since it ends on May 10th, I'm going to supplement this goal with also completing CodeAcademy's PHP course as a supplement.

---

Trying to keep this fairly easy for myself. I could use the win.

:moon:

• Like 1

~*~ WanderingLiz ~*~

(no longer wandering off the path of health) 

Current Challenge:  | Previous Challenges: Finding Peace of MindChaos Maintenance!

Hello and welcome!  So glad you've joined the Druids for this challenge.  How did Week 1 go?  :frog:

• Like 1
Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

Hello and welcome!  So glad you've joined the Druids for this challenge.  How did Week 1 go?   :frog:

Hi there!

I'm a little behind in responding to this, but

1) Thank you so much for the welcome! Really means a lot to me. :) Also, I love your turtle avatar. I'm smiling just looking at it.

2) My challenge's first two weeks have ended up down the tubes. Thanks to some fascinating side effects from my medications (along with a heaping dose of stress), I haven't touched on ANYTHING in my above list.

So, I'm 'rebooting' my challenge, treating today like it's day 1. Doctor has said it's going to take me probably until the beginning of June to finish adjusting, and I want to see how much I can accomplish from my challenge, despite that. :)

Tracking post to come!

~*~ WanderingLiz ~*~

Current Challenge:  | Previous Challenges: Finding Peace of MindChaos Maintenance!

Week 3!

Quest 1 (5m yoga, 6 days/week): 1/6

Quest 2 (2m meditation, 6 days/week): 1/6

Quest 3 ("Win of the Day" practice a.k.a. gratitude with a little Attitude): 3/7 (!)

Life Quest (85 in PHP class): xx% average in the class (making up work due to the medication stuff)

For a mid-medication crisis reboot, this was not a bad week. Movement and sitting with my thoughts is still pretty difficult, but the Win of the Day is fun.

Now, for the Life Quest... I made the decision to withdraw from that class, due to my medical issues. I just don't have the focus to devote to something like that. Making it to work every day has been a challenge on its own, and I get paid for this!

So my new LQ for weeks 4-6 will be obtaining a successful Withdraw from the class (bonus points if they approve the refund!).

~*~ WanderingLiz ~*~

Sorry to hear about the first two weeks.  I think rebooting is fine, as whatever you manage is a success really, especially if you are suffering medication side effects.  Looking forward to seeing your progress.

• Like 1

Fitness:  Self defence, Yoga, Meditation.  As of July 16 dumbell weight training.

Other interests:  Pre hospital medicine, Role playing, Sci-fi / fantasy, Cooking, Dog.

First Challenge Second Challenge Third Challenge

Sorry to hear about the first two weeks.  I think rebooting is fine, as whatever you manage is a success really, especially if you are suffering medication side effects.  Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Thank you so much for the sympathy and support! :) I actually found that, once I came "down" (from the panic attacks) being able to check the boards gave me something to look forward to. :)

~*~ WanderingLiz ~*~

Week 4!

Quest 1 (5m yoga, 6 days/week): 0/6

Quest 2 (2m meditation, 6 days/week): 0/6

Quest 3 ("Win of the Day" practice a.k.a. gratitude with a little Attitude): 0/7

Life Quest (85 in PHP class): Successfully withdraw from PHP class. (Step 1: Personal paperwork)

~*~ WanderingLiz ~*~

Looks like you had a big mid challenge slump...its totally fine you know. If it helps, remove or modify your goals to something more doable. Kishi (superb Monk GL of Amazingness) said to me last week, that even things you want to do that are positive for you, are still stressful...so I even gave up things I want, in favor of what I can and will do that doesnt cause unnecessary stress. My goals at the moment are 8k steps and eat gluten and dairy and sugar free, which is not even happening 100%, I walk the dog and eat GF 99% of the time, but my lunch today is GF mac and cheese kale with turkey ham and raw cookie dough, but I did SOMETHING today. So its still a win :) I think you have more wins than you give yourself credit for. It took me a long time and everyone here, to accept even tiny wins as wins, bc if they werent perfect, they didnt count in my head, and that did nothing but hurt me and keep me stuck.

Soooo I'm here to help you see the little wins that I know you had, but you have to post for me to find them :) Soooo hows today been?

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Wow! I am so touched that folks followed up, and so so embarrassed that I ended up flopping towards the end. I'll be honest, even coming back to this post after the fact, while feeling embarrassed, is a HUGE step for me. 

I think I can manage to not let this scare me away from trying another challenge... I think. I'm going to try at least. 

Seriously though, thank you all for checking in. It means a lot to me.

~*~ WanderingLiz ~*~

No probs at all. Some challenges go well and some don't. If they were easy they wouldn't be called challenges. Reflect on this one, learn from it, and come back stronger for the next one.

I look forward to seeing your next challenge and being here to support you during that one too.

Fitness:  Self defence, Yoga, Meditation.  As of July 16 dumbell weight training.

Other interests:  Pre hospital medicine, Role playing, Sci-fi / fantasy, Cooking, Dog.

First Challenge Second Challenge Third Challenge