[deepdarkgreen] On Being A Rock

deepdarkgreen

The things about rocks is, they aren't really that fast. They just sit there, unchanging, steady, strong. Those are all words that served me well for a while. I needed to be steady, strong, and constant.

It does get boring, though. And lonely.

On the other hand, changing a rock can be pretty difficult. I'm thinking the approach should be less strip mining and more sculpting. We'll take things slow. Really slow.

My Goals:

1) Get up and move most days of the week. Just a little.

2) Meal Prep once a week.

3) Post progress every day.

And that's it.

Goal 1: Move

I get up early and usually sit with my coffee for 30 minutes before the kids get up. I plan to use this time to do some basic things. I'm thinking 3 days a week, I'll get out my yoga mat. I don't have big plans for what I will do on my yoga mat. Some days I may just do savasana or cobbler's pose. The point is that I'll be on it. The other 3 days I'd like to do a few simple strengthening moves, like a wall push-up, a squat, and a plank. That sounds pretty simple, I think I can manage that.

Goal 2: Meal Prep

I have in my hands an actual 8-week meal plan with grocery lists and meal prep directions and all I literally have to do is follow directions. Except I don't. So for the next 6 weeks, I will muster up some energy and spend a happy hour or two in my kitchen stirring things, smelling good smells coming from things baking in my oven, and packaging up meals for the week, so I'm not hungry.

Goal 3: Post progress.

There will not be pictures, or points, or fanciness. But there will be accountability.

So there you go. Off to get this rock rolling!

• Like 1

Level 2 Human Druid

3.375 STR / 1.375 DEX / 0 STA / 2 CON / 3.75 WIS / 1 CHA

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was within me an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly." - R. Buckminster Fuller

Introduction - Daily Battle Log - Challenges 1 - Current

Goal 1) Move most days of the week - Done; I did 2 sets of 8 reps of wall push-ups, chair squats, and 1 minute-long wall plank

Goal 2) N/A

Goal 3) Done!

Level 2 Human Druid

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was within me an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly." - R. Buckminster Fuller

Nice goals, good plan and outlook.

Welcome to the Rebellion!

Sent from my KFAPWA using Tapatalk

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 |

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Thank you very much for the encouragement, Heidi!

Goal 1) Move most days of the week - Done;

Today I got out my yoga mat with the intention of doing a few sun salutations. But as I stood in Tadasana (Mountain Pose), I realized that I had massive muscle imbalances between the right and left side of my body (I carry my heavy laptop bag and purse on the left side) and needed to do some work to release the muscles in my lower back, hips and neck. It almost made me cry how tight I felt, I've never felt quite so out of balance before. So I did some very gentle standing work - tadasana, utkatasana (Chair Pose), forward bend, some sitting hip openers, and some reclining hip/lower back openers - including my favorite lower back/hip release, Happy Baby. Even lying in Savasana helped me realize how tight my right hip flexor was, though it wasn't a painful stretch and I didn't need to prop it to get comfortable. In all, I probably practiced for 10 minutes and was grateful that the time on my mat helped me get in touch with what my inactive time has done to my body.

Goal 2) N/A, though I will do some grocery shopping in preparation for this today.

Goal 3) Done!

• Like 1

Level 2 Human Druid

I'm taking a break from my meal prep to report my progress!

Goal 1) Move most days of the week - I am counting cleaning the house and working in the kitchen towards this goal today. Housekeeping is deceptively exhausting. Though I do intend to go outside and enjoy some sunshine as soon as I'm done in the kitchen! I'd always intended to take Sunday off, so this is bonus movement.

Goal 2) Doing it! So far, I have 7 meals prepared (2 quinoa bowl recipes, and a pasta salad recipe), and I intend to have 15 more (a berry breakfast bar, an edamame salad, and several snack bags) ready in the next hour.

Goal 3) Done!

Bonus activity, I spent 10 minutes meditating this morning when I woke up. I was up first, before my kids, and the cool breeze, sunshine, and birdsong just inspired me to sit, listen to my breath and the birds, and refresh my mind. Our kitty was very concerned for my safety, then decided since I was still, I would make an excellent napping spot.

• Like 1

Level 2 Human Druid

Wonderful way to end the first week, Green.

I love the functional fitness and the outside resting meditation.

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 |

Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Thanks Heidi! I really appreciate you checking in.

Goal 1) Move most days of the week - Done; I did 2 sets of 10 reps of wall push-ups, chair squats, and 1 minute-long wall plank. I noticed that I had no trouble increasing the reps for the chair squats and think my legs will be able to progress much faster than my upper body. I've never particularly thought of my upper body as a trouble spot, but it's so tight and unbalanced. I did manage to increase the reps of my wall push-ups, but my back complained the whole time. I'm thinking of adding some stretching to my goal every day.

Goal 2) N/A

Goal 3) Done!

Level 2 Human Druid

I like your goals. As simple as they are, they really feel essential to building good habits. What kind of meal plan do you have? I confess I've never had much luck with one, because looking at it makes me want to make changes, then if I'm changing everything, I feel like I'm missing the point. LOL How are things going with your meal plan? What does your family think about the meals?

"There's no use trying," she said: "one can't believe impossible things."

"I daresay you haven't much practice," said the Queen. "When I was  your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

-- Lewis Carroll

Good work with your goals this week. Did you know a little stretching can increase the effectiveness of your workout?

Keep up the great work!

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Nighsparrow - I do the exact same thing! It's just a simple little meal plan, seasonal, mostly vegan, though with a little fish. I try to have one smoothie, one salad a day and add a bunch of dinners and snacks. It's just me and my kids. They do pretty well with the meal plan (they are pescatarian), though sometimes the meals just utterly bomb with them.

Heidi - Thanks for the encouragement! I do recall reading that somewhere, but hadn't thought of it. I'm definitely going to add some stretches after my workout.

Goal 1) Move most days of the week - Done; I did the Home Practice for Lower Back from the most recent issue of Yoga Journal. I started with the intention to complete the 10 minute sequence, then decided on the mat to do more. My back feels like it is brewing big trouble and I'm thankful that I've gotten to it to see what I can fix before I can't move.

Goal 2) N/A, though I am enjoying the fruits of my labors from this weekend.

Goal 3) Done!

• Like 1

Level 2 Human Druid

I overslept this morning by an hour and was seriously tempted to skip this. And then I realized that my goals are so simple, it would literally only take me 5 minutes to complete this. So I had some coffee and got to work. 5 minutes and done! Thank you self for keeping it simple this time around!!

Goal 1) Move most days of the week - Done; I did 2 sets of 12 reps of wall push-ups, 2 sets of 12 chair squats, and 1 minute-long wall plank. Now that I've hit 12 reps, I'll add a 3rd set and go back down to 8 reps. I'll also add a second wall plank between the 2 & 3 sets. I did add some upper body stretching - chest stretch (using a wall), back stretch (using a door frame), shoulder stretch, triceps stretch. My neck feels a lot better after a week of movement and my back seems to be loosening up a bit.

Goal 2) N/A

Goal 3) Done!

• Like 1

Level 2 Human Druid

Great job this morning!

• Like 1

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Goal 1) Move most days of the week - Done; I used a practice from an older book that I have by Cyndi Lee (2002) with a warm-up and daily practice for every day of the week. Today was supposed to be about sitting poses, but there really weren't many. Nonetheless, it was a good practice and I feel much looser than I did last week. I'm looking for a sequence to open up the upper back/shoulder/neck area, if anyone has a good one they can recommend? Or something simple for my desk!

Goal 2) N/A

Goal 3) Done!

• Like 1

Level 2 Human Druid

I work from home on Fridays, so I took advantage to do my work out a little later than usual. It felt wrong to wait so long, felt guilty until I had done it. Since my reps didn't actually increase, I felt pretty good, but adding the second plank really exhausted my biceps and shoulders. I suspect that I will feel that tomorrow! My body feels so much looser (in a good way) since I started this challenge.

Goal 1) Move most days of the week - Done; I did 3 sets of 8 reps of wall push-ups, 3 sets of 8 chair squats, and 2 minute-long wall plank (planks between the sets of push ups/squats). I also did stretches for chest, back, shoulders, triceps, biceps, quads. Being a dancer in my previous life, I stretch my calves and hamstrings habitually, so didn't do that as part of my workout.

Goal 2) N/A

Goal 3) Done!

• Like 1

Level 2 Human Druid

Nice progress with the set increase.

You're going to look badass before you know it.

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Checking in for yesterday, as I was out of town for birthday festivities.

Goal 1) Move most days of the week - Done; I took my yoga mat on my trip. I was very tempted to not do anything. But....I told myself that all I had to do was unroll my mat and sit on it. That's all I had said I would do, right? Again I say, thank goodness I made my goals so small! So I unrolled my mat, stood in Tadasana and decided some cat/cow stretches would feel really nice after all the driving I had done. And some needle pose. And some downward dog, and so on. I only did about 5 minutes, then a little savasana. Felt pretty good, physically and mentally.

Goal 2) So much food prep! I made a big batch of brown rice, a batch of lentils, and a batch of black beans, and put some of each in the freezer. I'm also marinating two blocks of tempeh for a 'Hawaiian" quinoa bowl I'm planning for dinner tomorrow. And I made these Berry Bliss bars, mine came out a little soft. I still have a batch of quinoa to make, which I can do tomorrow, and I have to cut up a pineapple (yum).

Goal 3) Done, though late.

Bonus movement - hauling several bags of groceries up a hill, then two flights of stairs to my apt. Walking around the block with my son to burn off some extra energy (so he could sleep).

Level 2 Human Druid

Good job!

• Like 1

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

After being up most of the night with a kid with the stomach bug, and many, many loads of laundry, I just didn't have it in me to also wake up early and work out. So I did my workout before dinner.

Goal 1) Move most days of the week - Done; I did 3 sets of 9 reps of wall push-ups, 3 sets of 9 chair squats, and 2 minute-long wall plank (planks between the sets of push ups/squats). I did a little stretching.

Goal 2) Made the quinoa that I didn't make last night and finished the "hawaiian tempeh".

Goal 3) Done!

Level 2 Human Druid

O wow, that stomach bug and laundry routine is hellish. Good for you for making the workout fit into your day. You're owning this.

• Like 1

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Thanks Heidi!

Goal 1) Move most days of the week - Done; I did sun salutations with my daughter, then helped her with some stretches for ballet.

Goal 2) N/A - enjoying the fruits of my labors.

Goal 3) Done.

Level 2 Human Druid

So sick today. Getting out of bed felt like exercise. Talk to you tomorrow!

• Like 1

Level 2 Human Druid

So sick today. Getting out of bed felt like exercise. Talk to you tomorrow!

Hugs and hot tea.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Like 1

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Somehow I got distracted on my way to post last night. I definitely remember sitting down at my computer to post! Yet somehow it didn't happen.

Goal 1) Move most days of the week - Done; I did yoga and ballet stretches with my daughter (who is a pre-professional ballet student)

Goal 2) N/A, still eating very mild food

Goal 3) Done! For real this time.

• Like 1

Level 2 Human Druid