New Recruit - New Beginning

CCCatFL

I'm CCCatFL - it's all new to me here.  But I think I've found my people.

Here's the back story: 

1. Had shoulder surgery on March 30 - everything's changed (abilitity to exercise, work, type, wipe (yep it's my dominat hand!) I fatigue mid-step like a wind-up toy that runs out of rubberband.

2. If my typing has misspells, oh well, see #1 above.

3. Initial Main Quest and Missions will be modest but I'm ok with that -learning to be gentle with myself is an unspoken part of my Mission (signing up and posting this makes me feel like I'm a winner already as I've been reading this site since December.)

MAIN QUEST:

Rehab shoulder to 50% or better while dropping 10 lbs would be lovely.

Mission/Goal #1:

Walk 10 minutes or more daily.

Work abs/lower body 3x/week (don't know what I can do as of now)

Mission/Goal #2:

Eat 1500 cal/daily

Drink 8/8 oz water daily

Mission/Goal #3:

Get minimum7 hours sleep per night

SIDE QUEST:

Complete Photoreading course - because I want to be a faster reader.

MOTIVATION:

I want to know what it feels like to win. 

• Like 1

Just getting the guts to put yourself out there and join the rebellion is a win in itself. How does your first taste of victory feel?

Wishing you a speedy recovery from your broken wing, can't wait to watch you soar

Faedra the level 1 Lycan 
STR 1|DEX 3|CON 1|STA 1|WIS 3|CHA 1

Current Challenge  | Battle Log

What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable - Socrates

My first week looks like this:

MAIN QUEST:

Lost 1 lb - I'll take that as a win!  Shoulder pain has gone from 7-8 to a 6-7; no change in ROM as I haven't been cleared for PT yet.

MISSION 1:

SILVER STAR

Exercise: walked or biked (recumb) 4x for 100 minutes total (Goal: 10 min/day for 70 min. total) I did really well with this overall but I'd like to work on the consistency of everyday.  When I skip a day I'm more likely to skip 3.  

SILVER STAR

Excercise: lower body work out 2x (Goal 3x/week)

WHITE RIBBON (what you get at the County Fair for participating even if you didn't place)

Exercice abs -0- (Goal 3x/week) Since I'm just learning what I can do post-surgery & I haven't started PT yet I have to take it easy and discovered I don't know how to work abs right now!  You know what? That's just going to have to be ok for now.

MISSION 2: 

SILVER STAR

Averaged 1530 calories/day, (Goal: 1500/day.)  I'll accept that as a nice start, given I have been consuming somewhere between 1700-2100.

GOLD STAR

Averaged 53 gram sugar/day (forgot to state in orig goal that I'm shooting for 80 gram/day) so this I did really well.  Sugar has been a big issue for me.

GOLD STAR

Hit water consumpton target 8-8oz day-I've been working very hard at this esp after having to me on all these awful meds for surgery that mess with my system!

MISSION 3:

BRONZE STAR

I'm getting sleep in 2 to 2-1/2 hour increments while having to sleep in a chair.  I got my first 3 hours stretch last Monday and then 4 hours straight on Saturday.  I don't know how many hours I'm getting exactly because the effing math is getting to be too much!  But I'm awarding myself a Bronze because dammit I'm making this sleeping upright work and keeping my complaints down!

SIDE QUEST:

no progress/start on my PhotoReading course.  Just stating the truth.  I want to do it, but I don't make it a priority even tho it'll make everything else go so much faster. Why do I resist it?  I dunno yet.  

Finally, finding this boad again, figuring out how to reply is nothing short of miraculous for me - so in all, I'd say I'm really happy to be here!  

My first week looks like this:

MAIN QUEST:

Lost 1 lb - I'll take that as a win!  Shoulder pain has gone from 7-8 to a 6-7; no change in ROM as I haven't been cleared for PT yet.

MISSION 1:

SILVER STAR

Exercise: walked or biked (recumb) 4x for 100 minutes total (Goal: 10 min/day for 70 min. total) I did really well with this overall but I'd like to work on the consistency of everyday.  When I skip a day I'm more likely to skip 3.  

SILVER STAR

WHITE RIBBON (what you get at the County Fair for participating even if you didn't place)

Exercice abs -0- (Goal 3x/week) Since I'm just learning what I can do post-surgery & I haven't started PT yet I have to take it easy and discovered I don't know how to work abs right now!  You know what? That's just going to have to be ok for now.

MISSION 2: 

SILVER STAR

Averaged 1530 calories/day, (Goal: 1500/day.)  I'll accept that as a nice start, given I have been consuming somewhere between 1700-2100.

GOLD STAR

Averaged 53 gram sugar/day (forgot to state in orig goal that I'm shooting for 80 gram/day) so this I did really well.  Sugar has been a big issue for me.

GOLD STAR

Hit water consumpton target 8-8oz day-I've been working very hard at this esp after having to me on all these awful meds for surgery that mess with my system!

MISSION 3:

BRONZE STAR

I'm getting sleep in 2 to 2-1/2 hour increments while having to sleep in a chair.  I got my first 3 hours stretch last Monday and then 4 hours straight on Saturday.  I don't know how many hours I'm getting exactly because the effing math is getting to be too much!  But I'm awarding myself a Bronze because dammit I'm making this sleeping upright work and keeping my complaints down!

SIDE QUEST:

no progress/start on my PhotoReading course.  Just stating the truth.  I want to do it, but I don't make it a priority even tho it'll make everything else go so much faster. Why do I resist it?  I dunno yet.  

Finally, finding this boad again, figuring out how to reply is nothing short of miraculous for me - so in all, I'd say I'm really happy to be here!  

Read this today on my email and want it here to remind me during this challenge:

Putting something off is harder than doing it right away because we carry
with us the heavy burden of worry. When we think about what we have to do,
we often become panicky in last-minute attempts to catch up.

Procrastination is a learned habit that can be unlearned. The antidote to
procrastination is positive action way ahead of deadlines. 

Dear God,

I no longer want to be a procrastinator.
I ask you to re-create me as a person of action.
I pray that I am no longer addicted to the negative rush of last-minute deadlines.
I pray that I learn to live worry and stress free by living my life - in advance.
I no longer first see the project at hand as a discomfort to be delayed, but as an adventure - as I work with You.
I ask You to remove any laziness from me, and re-create me as a self-starter.
The only catching up that I will ever have to do is playing more with all the extra time that I have.

Amen

week #2 results are in! I am feeling grateful.  

MAIN QUEST:

Lost 2 lbs - for a total of 3!  

Shoulder pain has gone from 6-7 to a 5; no change in ROM as I haven't started PT but I have been cleared to start.

MISSION 1:

SILVER STAR

Exercise: walked or biked (recumb) 6x for 130 minutes total (Goal: 10 min/day for 70 min. total) much improved from last week!

GOLD STAR

Excercise: lower body work out 3x (Goal 3x/week) YEAH!!!!

SILVER STAR

Exercice abs 2x (Goal 3x/week) modest work out of abs but again, I'll take it! Finding out a way to work abs w/o involving the shoulder is no small feat.

MISSION 2: 

SILVER STAR

Averaged 1555 calories/day, (Goal: 1500/day.)  Clean eating - mindful eating. However, I have noticed that I eat something sweet everyday, so I'd like to be a bit more aware of that before actually consuming it & make sure it's something I truly want and take just a minute to ask myself if I do. After reading today's message from Steve on naming your own superpower, I liked Capt America's clear-cut, "I do this...I don't do this" code of conduct. I'm going to play with that idea this week.  

GOLD STAR

Averaged 56 gram sugar/day (Goal: 80 gram/day) even tho I ate a sweet daily

GOLD STAR

Hit water consumpton target 8-8oz day-still have to work at it but it was easier this week.

MISSION 3:

GOLD STAR

8 hour sleep/night - even tho it still comes in 3-4 hour increments due to general aches/inability to remain comfortable thru the night. 

SIDE QUEST:

I finally pulled out the Photoreading course, read the intro and started with lesson 1.  

I started mediating for 2 minutes - made it happen 4x this week.  Nice.  

week #3 - I'm actually sticking with something!  

MAIN QUEST:

Lost 1 lbs - for a total of 4!  

In general, shulder is getting better even if miniscule.

MISSION 1:

BRONZE STAR

Exercise: walked or biked (recumb) 4x for 90 minutes total (Goal: 10 min/day for 70 min. total).

SILVER STAR

BRONZE STAR

Exercice abs 1x (Goal 3x/week) modest

MISSION 2: 

SILVER STAR

Averaged 1540 calories/day, (Goal: 1500/day.)  Clean eating - mindful eating. RE: sweet treats I actually skipped 2x because I thought about it first/decided against it.  

GOLD STAR

Averaged 46 gram sugar/day (Goal: 80 gram/day) even with sweet treats!

SILVER STAR

Hit water consumpton target 8-8oz day-except for one day.

MISSION 3:

GOLD STAR

At least 8 hr each night, still broken up in 4-5 hr increments. 

SIDE QUEST:

I completed lesson 1 of 16 and 1st exercise of the Photoreading course.

I started mediating for 2 minutes - made it happen 5x this week.  Nice.  

week #4 - I like this - keeping promises to myself, reporting in, etc.

MAIN QUEST:

Lost another 1.5 - for a total of 5.5lbs!  

I had my first 2 PT appointments and follow-up with surgeon - I am on track to a complete healing on this shoulder. Still have pain regularly, not on any pain pills, got shoulder to 100 degrees passively.  Was told 2 more passive weeks, followed by 4 active weeks of PT.  I am ok about adjusting my goals accordingly.

MISSION 1:

SILVER STAR

Exercise: walked or biked (recumb) 4x for 120 minutes total (Goal: 10 min/day for 70 min. total).

WORK ON: CONSISTENCY - TRY TO GO FOR 5X THIS WEEK

SILVER STAR

WORK ON: TRY 3X

SILVER STAR

Exercice abs 2x (Goal 3x/week) modest 

WORK ON: TRY 3X

MISSION 2: 

SILVER STAR

Averaged 1510 calories/day, (Goal: 1500/day.) Mindful eating with the exception of a cookie baking day when all hell broke loose...but I did recover - the next day I got back on track and it was a big dinner party event so I am feeling pretty good about that.  

GOLD STAR

Averaged 42 gram sugar/day (Goal: 80 gram/day) even with sweet treats!

SILVER STAR

Hit water consumpton target 8-8oz day-except for one day. Same this week as last - Saturdays I seem to go blank on water and sleep.

MISSION 3:

GOLD STAR

Getting full nights sleep now and then some.  One day broken-up

SIDE QUEST:

Crud! I completely forgot about Photoreading course!  I was on the committee for the big dinner arty event so I'll write it off to that but if I don't put this on a regular schedule I need to rethink whether I truly want it or I'm procrastinating and need to push thru....

I started mediating for 2 minutes - made it happen 6x this week.  Nice.  

week #5 - reporting in no matter what...

MAIN QUEST:

Gained 1 lb whah-wha - so I'm down a total of 4.5lbs - not ideal but not the end of the world.  Gentleness with self is the bigger deal here.  Not giving up!    

Week 2 of PT on shoulder - going well, accepting it's a process.  Can be frustrating to only have use of one arm for so many things.  It's just for now, it will change.  I know I am healing exactly on course and not alarmed.  

MISSION 1:

GOLD STAR

Exercise: walked or biked (recumb) 5x for 180 minutes total (Goal: 10 min/day for 70 min. total).

I hit the mini-goal here of "WORK ON: CONSISTENCY - TRY TO GO FOR 5X THIS WEEK" Yeah me!!!

SILVER STAR

WORK ON: TRY 3X try again week 6

GOLD STAR

Exercice abs 3x (Goal 3x/week)

I also hit this mini-goal!!!  WORK ON: TRY 3X

MISSION 2: 

BRONZE STAR

Averaged 1635 calories/day, (Goal: 1500/day.) Mindful eating BUT lot of exceptions this week and that's reflected in 1lb gain even with more exercise.  3 days were not ideal - high calories and higher amounts of sugar - not a good cycle to experience.  Don't think I'll be baking cookies for a while....   

GOLD STAR

Averaged 53 gram sugar/day (Goal: 80 gram/day)

WORK ON THIS WEEK ONLY HAVING 4 SWEET TREATS

NO STAR/RIBBON

Didn't remember to truthfully track water for 3 days - will watch if that is part of a pattern with eating too much sugar?

MISSION 3:

SILVER STAR

2 nights I didn't get more than 6 hours sleep. 

SIDE QUEST:

I feel a little peeved I don't get to this side quest...in fact, I'm a bit peeved I haven't really got a daily routine since this surgery  I'm going to do the best I can with my last week of this quest (not try to make it all up in the finish - it can't be done in 7 days so I'm not going to drive myself insane.  Do I avoid it?  Do I even remember it in the first place?)  

Perspective here:  I made it out to a family function on Tuesday night, I made it out to Mother's Day (with hair styled with a single arm...no small feat), I got caught up with all my friends AND I watched the season finale of Mad Men and that was a profound piece to see in real-time (esp since I don't watch much TV) - so I chose other things I wanted to do more. Yes, I wish the damn course was just done and in my head already and ready to use (like Matrix downloads) and I don't want to do the work to get it.  I/We can't do everything - I/we have to choose.  How to deal with the feeling of not being able or willing to do it all, that's another matter requiring some thought....      

Mediating for 2 minutes - made it happen everyday for longer periods - didn't really track time, just more than 2 minutes.  

Week 6 stats are below - final grade posted elsewhere as requested.

Fun to actually complete something!

Learned where I'll concentrate efforts next time.

Pickup up some good habits and learned how to be patient and gentle with myself post shoulder surgery - a new thing for me.

MAIN QUEST:

Rehab shoulder to 50% or better while dropping 10 lbs would be lovely.

Final 4 lbs lost - shoulder is probabaly 50% better

Mission/Goal #1:

Walk 10 minutes or more daily.

5x for 110 min

Work abs/lower body 3x/week (don't know what I can do as of now)

lower 1x and abs 3x 

Mission/Goal #2:

Eat 1500 cal/daily; 80 grams sugar

1580 average, 51 grams sugar/day

Drink 8/8 oz water daily

7 days of 64 oz

Mission/Goal #3:

Get minimum7 hours sleep per night

6 nights got my sleep 

SIDE QUEST:

Complete Photoreading course - because I want to be a faster reader.

Learned I just don't want it that bad - I have other things I want to do and this is a "should" - let it go. be peaceful about it.

Cool to hear the challenge worked out for you.  What you got from your side quest is a tough one for sure.  Way to go all around.  What are you thinking for the next challenge?  If you want something fun for the interim there is a fun one over in Scouts (or any other guild...but I am partial LOL).  You can pick which exercises you want to improve and I am sure you can find something that will not mess with your shoulder.  It is designed that you can adapt it if sidelined for any reason.  ;)

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile