Bookwormdee challenge: Start!

bookwormdee

I am a brand new character here at NF, and a little late off the starting block, it seems.
A little about me: I'm a mom to a very active and curious 2 year old. I am a full-time student, finally going to college again after a 13 year "break". I am a voracious reader and gamer, but I have cut down on that since my child's birth.

For this, my first challenge, I set the goals at novice level. Main goal is to lose 5 lbs and 2 inches from my waist. Starting at 191.2 and 41.5, respectively.

Sub-goals:
•Track my food in Myfitnesspal at least 5 days out of the week.
•Workout on Tuesdays and Thursdays at least twice a week.
•Drink 60 oz. of water a day.

I am sure these are realistic goals and I'm looking forward to how much better I'll feel after completion.

Update to add starting weight and waist measurements.

Updated to alter workout goal.

• Like 4

Level 1 Lalafell - Newbie

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 0 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 0

Challenges: #1

Main Quest: Lose 50 lbs!

9%
9%

Welcome aboard.  It's good to see other moms out here in the forums.  Glad you had the chance to jump in, and you don't seem late at all.  We just got started!

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Old Challenges: #1(2015) * #2 * #3(push ups) * #4 * #5(food) * #6 * #7(2016)* #8(nerdiversary) * #9 * 10(animal) * Battle Log * 11(2017) * 12(garden) * 13 * 14(biking) * 15 * 16  * 17  * 18 * 19(2018) * 20(2019) * 21

Following along. a couple questions,

what are yoru MFP goals?

You say you want to work out on Tuesdays and Thursdays. What kind of workouts are you looking to do?

60oz is a good amount! way to go

Final question, Are you ready to kick some butt and become even more awesome than a mother of 2 can be?

• Like 1

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Following along. a couple questions,

what are yoru MFP goals?

You say you want to work out on Tuesdays and Thursdays. What kind of workouts are you looking to do?

60oz is a good amount! way to go

Final question, Are you ready to kick some butt and become even more awesome than a mother of 2 can be?

MFP has my main goal quest, which is to lose 50 lbs overall.  It's just a matter of making myself log.  What I tend to do is start off well, but then just stop logging, since I don't want to see how many calories over I went.  I will do it anyways, regardless of my actual eating the day of.

I am starting with the beginning bodyweight workout, which will probably be squeezed in while the kiddo is napping.  However, if I am rocking the bodyweight workout, I will probably add 1 more workout to the week.  I just wanted to make my goals quest managable to start, ya know?

I am ready to kick some butt!  I am already pretty awesome, but I suppose it's possible to become more awesome. :nevreness:

9%
9%

managable starts are always the best. When I started out if you had told me that I would be training in the "beginer" stages of power lifting now I would have laughed at you. Those look like awesome plans and I look forward to cheering your on

• Like 1

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Mini goal #1

Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)? Over a long period of time, yes.  Is it reasonable? Yes.

Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Yes, all three keep me focused and accountable. Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on? Sub-quests for all!

Are your main goals realistic? My main goal is realistic, it may even be not ambitious enough. Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them? I am planning on it, the main quest is quite the quest.  I need to have smaller steps in order to help make the end not so far away.

Are your goals able to be measured and tracked? Yes.  What will you use to track them? I will use Myfitnesspal to log meals and workouts, and my water bottle to measure the water intake.

How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€? These are pass/fail goals, however I will give myself points if there is actual effort involved.  No effort, No reward.

What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?  If I become ill, I will wait until I am well to proceed with the workouts (logging and water, can and should, continue no matter what) Injured, I will modify my workouts around my injury, but still continue with logging and drinking water.

Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those? If there is a holiday or celebration on a day where I may have scheduled a workout, I will either try to do it anyways, or just move it to the next available day. Progress, not perfection, right?

Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?  No, all my goals compliment each other and will lead to my Main Quest, like a watershed goes to a river.

Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?

Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest? There is time, and I will make the time work.  I am trying to build multiple habits, but those habits flow to my main quest.

9%
9%

End of week 1.  Time for a progress report!

I am giving myself a little slack, since I started on Thursday, rather than Monday, so my week is pro-rated, so to speak.

Sub goal 1: tracking my meals on MFP

I did manage to complete the log for Thursday and  Friday but fell off the wagon on Saturday.  However I managed to kick my own butt in gear to complete the log for Sunday.  Full Points for effort, and staying on track. 

Sub goal 2: Exercising on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I was able to complete 1 circuit of the beginning bodyweight workout with some hip bridges thrown in, since I have a hard time activating my butt (ha, almost sounds like I made a joke) I'm a little disappointed that I was only able to do 1 circuit, since the workout calls for 2-3 circuits, but I will work up to the full workout. Still, full points for effort.  My muscles certainly feel like they gave all they could. :nonchalance:

Sub goal 3: Drink 60 oz. of water every day.

Man, I totally crushed this.  I drank 60+ oz. every day.  I never realized how much my body needed and actually wanted water until I made this date with destiny my water bottle. Full Points.

Overall, I feel good about the steps that I've started taking.  I am super frustrated that I was unable to do a full beginner workout.  Somehow there was the impression that I was more in shape that I actually am.  What a blow to the ego!  Like I've been foiled by my own flesh!   I am tempted to shake my fist like a 2-bit villain and declare "I'm not through with you yet".   But that would be silly.  :playful:  

• Like 2

9%
9%

I am giving myself a little slack, since I started on Thursday, rather than Monday, so my week is pro-rated, so to speak.

I did manage to complete the log for Thursday and  Friday but fell off the wagon on Saturday.  However I managed to kick my own butt in gear to complete the log for Sunday.  Full Points for effort, and staying on track. 

I was able to complete 1 circuit of the beginning bodyweight workout with some hip bridges thrown in, since I have a hard time activating my butt (ha, almost sounds like I made a joke) I'm a little disappointed that I was only able to do 1 circuit, since the workout calls for 2-3 circuits, but I will work up to the full workout. Still, full points for effort.  My muscles certainly feel like they gave all they could. :nonchalance:

Man, I totally crushed this.  I drank 60+ oz. every day.  I never realized how much my body needed and actually wanted water until I made this date with destiny my water bottle. Full Points.

Overall, I feel good about the steps that I've started taking.  I am super frustrated that I was unable to do a full beginner workout.  Somehow there was the impression that I was more in shape that I actually am.  What a blow to the ego!  Like I've been foiled by my own flesh!   I am tempted to shake my fist like a 2-bit villain and declare "I'm not through with you yet".   But that would be silly.  :playful:  

Awesome start!  And I know what you mean about the workout... I don't know that I ever really accepted how much I had gained (no matter what the scale said) or how out of shape I really am (no matter how out of breath coming up my stairs).  The BBWW is no joke, and reminded me of these two things very quickly!  I did the "Recruit" workout and could barely walk for 2-3 days.  Anyway, the workouts also give hope though that there is a path to get back to where we want to be!  And also, the feeling of improving every workout is very motivating.  Good luck on your full second week!

• Like 1

Level 3 Human Assassin

Challenges: 21

all exercises are subjective to you and how you feel. for example, if i tell someone to lift heavy i mean what is heavy for them. because heavy to you may be completely different than heavy to me. doing the workout, doesn't matter if 1 set or 10 sets, definitely counts. so major points for effort.

p.s. subbed

p.s.s. i like 2 bit villains

3.gif

• Like 2

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

Hi, I like that you created your goals realistic. It's you that knows you best, so you should know, you know? ;)

After week 1 it looks you're on the right track here :)

Iceburner

Lvl. 7 Human, (Lvl. 5 Assassin, Lvl. 2 Rebel)

STR: 13.25 ~ DEX: 6.5 ~STA: 14.25 ~ CON: 9 ~ WIS: 15 ~ CHA: 10

Current Quest: #9 - Finding the balance in mind and body

Battle Log

Finished Quest (challenge): #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #7, #8

Aborted Quest (challenge): #6

"Kaizen!!!" 

weight loss goal (92kg -> 87kg): |----------------------->| (currently 86.3)

waist loss goal (109cm -> 94cm): |--------->____________| (currently 103)

pull-ups (0 -> 10): |->____________________| (currently 0)

push-ups (0 -> 50): |------>_______________| (currently 12)

Awesome Goals! Gonna follow cause I can totally relate! What type of gamer are you? Board, computer, and video here. Once you have a little one you do have to dial back and juggle. Now that our little guy is older we do board games with some buddies just about every Friday. :)

Assassin - (race to be determined at a later date)

Current Challenge  4  3, 2, 1 Accountability 1 Assassin Initiates 

Awesome Goals! Gonna follow cause I can totally relate! What type of gamer are you? Board, computer, and video here. Once you have a little one you do have to dial back and juggle. Now that our little guy is older we do board games with some buddies just about every Friday. :)

Console (still rocking the PS3) and computer video games here.  For folks in the know :friendly_wink:, my race is enough of a hint of what computer game I play.  (Well, besides the Sims.  Love me some Sims.  No hate)  I pretty much only play now while the kid is sleeping.

Don't really play board games, unless it's Candyland or something similar.  Is that what you mean?

• Like 1

9%
9%

Hi! I finally had time to reeeeeally read your challange :) and... I love it!! I'm struggling through the BBWW too, and I have problems with the push-ups so, we're in this together!

Go mummy gooo! What about books? Genres, authors..?

• Ladygazza  :lemo: 

Race: Lightfoot Halfling | Class: Assassin

[Level: 1 | STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1 ]

​Current quest: Lemons!

Battle log: Le cahier de Mme Pie aka The Ladygazza

Accountabilibuddies: Aspiring Assassin Apprentice Accountabilibuddies

Console (still rocking the PS3) and computer video games here.  For folks in the know :friendly_wink:, my race is enough of a hint of what computer game I play.  (Well, besides the Sims.  Love me some Sims.  No hate)  I pretty much only play now while the kid is sleeping.

Don't really play board games, unless it's Candyland or something similar.  Is that what you mean?

LOL I use to have PS and an xbox. When I got married we down sized for the Wii. Now we have the Wii U. I would love to get a PS3 or the newer xbox for the role playing games. But that will have to be when kiddo gets older due to the graphic contents and that good stuff. :) My biggest computer game that I LOVED is Diablo 1 and 2. I wish I could get the 3rd one, but due to kiddo, gotta wait. Especially since those types of games kinda suck you in for hours. I never really got into the Sims.... Mostly cause they would never do what I wanted them to do, Grr!

LOL yeah we have candy land and a lot of kids games but those are kiddos. Out board games tend to run a little more complex. Dominion, Net runner, Ascension, 7 wonders, Race for the Galaxy (which are mostly card games) are to list the lighter side of what we have. The harder ones are Eclipse, Power grid, space Alert, Risk legacy to just name a few.

What type of books do you read? I am in the Paranormal and Paranormal Romance. (Kresely Cole, Gena Showalter, Nalini Singh, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Jennifer Estep, and Janet Evanovich). Hubby has kinda gotten me into the Dragon lance books too.

Assassin - (race to be determined at a later date)

Current Challenge  4  3, 2, 1 Accountability 1 Assassin Initiates 

Hey, you're doing great so far! My goal on the next challenge is going to be getting through the BBWW. It looks tough, so well done to you for just getting through one circuit at all. :) If you want some more accountability for MFP then feel free to add me, I'm JustAGal95, hear you on the struggle of not wanting to know the numbers some days!

Challenge 3 | Challenge 2 | Challenge 1

L3 Elf: | 0 STR | 1.6 DEX | 7.4 STA | 6.8 WIS | 8.6 CON | 3.8 CHA |

Overall Weight Loss Goal:

33.3%
33.3%

SW: 153lb CW: 142lb  GW: 120lb

Hey! Great job so far!! I'm also starting the BBWW this week, doing only 2 reps and some modified/reduced push ups. :) It will be exciting when we are both doing 3 full reps :) (and I'm pretty confident we'll both get there before we know it). Keep it up!! (aand ...I need to follow your example and get some more water into my system...)

:bee:

Here's my first challenge!  B)

Yeah! You two keep up :) one baby step at a time and you'll end up doing it.

Ok, week 2 update!

I missed 1 day of complete logging this week, and am on track as far as that goal goes. So a pass for this week.

I continue to kill it with the water goal. Actually going over my goal many days. So pass on this one.

And finally, the one I'm the most pleased with, I have done the BBWW twice this week. I've moved up to 2 circuits in total, and I was able to hold the plank for 20 seconds (just once, though) I also need to actually do the milk jug thing. I had been using 5 lb weights for my rows and that's too light now. So, yay me!

In a side note, I really need to update my workout goals to just be twice a week, since I had to postpone my Tuesday workout due to sick, nap-less kid.

So, I had a great week, goal-wise. (Sick, puking kid made the week less than fun, otherwise) Thank you to my accountabilibuddies. Just knowing that you guys were in the shadows, lurking (cause that's what assassins do,right? Lurk in the shadows, looking for an opportunity to strike?) made it easier to keep on track. And the week ended on a happy note. I've lost 3 lbs and 1 inch!

• Like 1

9%
9%

Whats BBWW?

Beginner Body Weight Workout  http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Ok, week 2 update!

I missed 1 day of complete logging this week, and am on track as far as that goal goes. So a pass for this week.

I continue to kill it with the water goal. Actually going over my goal many days. So pass on this one.

And finally, the one I'm the most pleased with, I have done the BBWW twice this week. I've moved up to 2 circuits in total, and I was able to hold the plank for 20 seconds (just once, though) I also need to actually do the milk jug thing. I had been using 5 lb weights for my rows and that's too light now. So, yay me!

In a side note, I really need to update my workout goals to just be twice a week, since I had to postpone my Tuesday workout due to sick, nap-less kid.

So, I had a great week, goal-wise. (Sick, puking kid made the week less than fun, otherwise) Thank you to my accountabilibuddies. Just knowing that you guys were in the shadows, lurking (cause that's what assassins do,right? Lurk in the shadows, looking for an opportunity to strike?) made it easier to keep on track. And the week ended on a happy note. I've lost 3 lbs and 1 inch!

How an amazing week! And with a sick kid... aaaw I don't know how you did that!! Kudos!

---lurking, we see youu

Cat-Lurking-Behind-Dog.jpg

• Like 2

Well done Dee! Good progress too. :pride:

Iceburner

Lvl. 7 Human, (Lvl. 5 Assassin, Lvl. 2 Rebel)

STR: 13.25 ~ DEX: 6.5 ~STA: 14.25 ~ CON: 9 ~ WIS: 15 ~ CHA: 10

Current Quest: #9 - Finding the balance in mind and body

Battle Log

Finished Quest (challenge): #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #7, #8

Aborted Quest (challenge): #6

"Kaizen!!!" 

weight loss goal (92kg -> 87kg): |----------------------->| (currently 86.3)

waist loss goal (109cm -> 94cm): |--------->____________| (currently 103)

pull-ups (0 -> 10): |->____________________| (currently 0)

push-ups (0 -> 50): |------>_______________| (currently 12)

Great job! Glad you're losing weight like you wanted and killing all your goals. Hope the kid's doing better. Also, yes, we totally do the lurking thing  :ph34r:

Level: 2

STR 2.8| STA 1.6 | DEX 1.8 | CON 5.2 | WIS 3.8 | CHA 1.8

Challenge: 6-week challenge (assassin)

Quote: "Suck it up now so you don't have to suck it in later"

7-8hrs of Sleep

9%
9%

Healthy Eating

12%
12%

Exercise

9%
9%

Lose Weight: Starting weight = 50 kilos

0-ish%
0-ish%

It seems like you're absolutely killing it! I can't even imagine how hard it is to worry about your health and working out with a two year old and being in school. I'm in school with only myself to worry about and sometimes I even feel overwhelmed. Keep slaying!

• Like 2

"What, like the back of a Volkswagen?"

AJ | Recruit (assassin?) | 18 | East Coast | Elvhen

"Someone tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back."