Wockerjabi's Quest: To Slay the Jabberwock!

wockerjabi

As a new recruit to the Rebellion, I pledge to achieve the objectives which I shall now lay out:

By the end of this five and a half week period, I will have gone a full week without binge eating (loosely defined to be consuming in excess of 3000 calories in a single day). In support of this goal, I will put together the meal on a plate before eating anything for at least two of each day's meals.

For the duration of this challenge, I shall eschew sugary substances. This is a well defined rule that disallows cookies, candy, granola bars, some brands of yogurt and in general anything with more sugar by weight than Coca-Cola. 

While this challenge lasts, I will work out twice a week for at least twenty minutes in addition to any transportation related walking and work related activity.

As you may have gathered, I'm looking for some support as I work on my terrible eating habits. Exercise is also a habit it would be good for me to be in, but right now, I am viewing it mainly as a prop for that more immediate goal. I am excited to become part of this excellent community. I feel like I am back at freshman week at my university (which is famed for its nerdiness), and it's an awesome feeling. 
  • Like 2

'And now leave me in peace for a bit! I don't want to answer a string of questions while I am eating. I want to think!' â€¢ 'Good heavens!' said Pippin. 'At breakfast?'

Level 1.5 Marsh-Wiggle 2 STR | 3 STA | 0 DEX | 6 CON | 2 WIS | 1 CHA

Second Quest: Wocker is an Adventurer Now!  â€¢  Walkers PvP

I have discovered the first week's side quest! 

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable? 

Yes, I am absolutely capable of reining in my binge-eating for a week at a time (probably not a month, though).

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?

They're not organized very well, as I thought I was supposed to pick three main objectives, but the steps listed are all healthy behaviors that will help me to avoid binge mode.

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?

My goals are all habit based.

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them?

I keep a food log, and will probably track days exercised on my phone.

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?

Grading will be pass/fail based solely on my meeting the expectations on a daily basis. Final grade will be a percentage of times I succeeded.

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?

They will still be the same, because they are not performance based, and because I want to be honest with myself.

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?

As it happens, I have none of those in the next few weeks.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?

No, they should mesh well.

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?

Time should not be a problem (Except when I have to get up at 3:30 for work. Then the time may deplete my energy to have goals.)

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest?

There is a little bit of multiple habits building, what with goals relating to both diet and exercise, but nothing problematic.

'And now leave me in peace for a bit! I don't want to answer a string of questions while I am eating. I want to think!' â€¢ 'Good heavens!' said Pippin. 'At breakfast?'

Friday was a success in both calories consumed and consuming them in defined meals. I also did my first workout for the week. Going well so far. Now for a day where I actually have to work...

• Like 2

I met my objectives to eat in actual meals and in reasonable amounts both Saturday and Sunday. I was surprised how tempting it was to go right up to the limit I had set for myself, though. I thought I had given myself a few hundred calories more than I would normally care to eat on a non-binge day. 

I am not counting walking to and from work as "working out" for the purposes of my third goal, but I am counting it toward the PvP challenge that I have joined, and I hit twelve miles today!

One thing I should have defined, but didn't think to, is that I will be counting a "week" for purposes of exercising twice a week, as running Thursday - Wednesday. That's the way my workweek is segmented, and it's easier to plan my life around that, since schedules are not released in advance. Hooray, shift work!

Today was almost a complete success. I completed a bodyweight workout (woo!) and was responsible about eating food in the form of actual meals. However my caloric intake was over.

• Like 1

I'm going to call Tuesday a success. It feels like cheating to declare prepackaged peanut butter crackers and coffee a meal, though. Especially when the next meal is prepackaged peanut butter crackers and Rockstar. But you know what? It fits the rules of the challenge and it fits the exigencies of going into work nine hours earlier than I have become accustomed to. 

Bonus! That energy drink is only the second one I've had in the month of April. That's down from three a day a few months ago.

• Like 1

Met food related goals Wednesday, but I wannnt suggarrr....

I have reached the end of the week (it is only six days long because I started on a Friday). The score so far is 92, reflecting the eleven out of twelve times that i met expectations.

• Like 2

I love your goals, every time I walk into a store, my skin begins to jump, it's as if the biscuits and cakes are calling my name, I actually had a hershey's dark chocolate bar  today  :moody:. A minor slip up  :untroubled: . I'm very glad to see you're hitting it though. One things I wish is that I hand more fruits around me, atleast a wider variety so when I get the pangs I could grab something naturally delicious. If fruits are available try grabbing one when you feel that sugar demon, it's still sugar but fruits have a whole lot more nutrients.

You have a fabulous day tomorrow!

FearlesslyFree

HumanAssassin

[Level: 2 | STR 3.7 | DEX 1.8 | STA 2.8 | CON 3.7 | WIS 4 | CHA 2.8 ]

The Beginning The Journey Continues FearlesslyFree, Road to 20 Push ups

Current Challenge: FearlesslyFree Returns to Battle

John 5:22-24

Thanks guys!

Food goals were met today, but the foods I did eat were junk (a box of wheat thins somehow didn't exceed my calorie limit). I will have to work on this in future. I did go for a superfluous walk today, which counts as my first workout for the week. 

Friday has been a success. I worked my ass off at work, walked to and from work and still did a short bodyweight workout afterward. And then I passed out for three hours, which has made staying within my calorie limit easy.   ^_^ 

• Like 2

The weekend has been mixed. I've been pleased with my success at sticking to my food plans and avoiding binge mode (only succumbing once since the start of this challenge). However, I've been genuinely struggling to keep within my calorie limit. This was not what I expected to happen, based on my log data from the past nine months. I'm theorizing that my body is unused to normal amounts of food over several days running. I'm really not happy to find this, but the solution is fairly simple. I just have to gradually crank down the amount that I eat so that my body can get used to it.

Anyway, I was slightly over both days, although I was good about eating only defined meals. All my exercise was work or transportation related. 

• Like 1

It does take a few weeks for your body to adjust to a change in eating habits. Your energy levels, and mood take a huge hit at first, but they come back again, and the cravings will go away after a few weeks.

Try and keep to your plan, you have had a great start.   :D
Your body will adjust quickly, keep up your hydration, sometimes a food craving will go away when you drink a glass of water. 

CohenTheBarbarian Level 1

STR 4 | DEX 0 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Current Challenge

It'll be awesome if it turns out that way!

Ghrelin - the hunger hormone is telling you to eat more right now. When your stomach gets stretched from eating it turns off.

Eat something that will turn off the signal but is not high in calories, like and apple for example, or plums are quite filling. Thick soups are filling and porridge oats help too.

CohenTheBarbarian Level 1

STR 4 | DEX 0 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Current Challenge

I eat a pretty even mix of whole foods and junk. I've been slipping in the past few months, which is part of why I'm here. For a while I was having enormous salads every night with just a little bit of meat, and fruit with peanut butter for breakfast. Lately it's been more like, frozen pizza, with maybe some spinach. Also, my significant other wants me to keep alcohol around, so that's been a more frequent part of my diet than it had been in the past (although we are less likely to drink the whole six pack in one night now that I buy it on a weekly basis).

Monday I met my food goals. As a bonus I cleaned my apartment properly!

Tuesday has been a fail. Got called into work at four AM, and thus did not bring good food with me or take time to eat proper meals. And then we went to my mother in law's house, and I ate way too much. The only objective I did meet today was the avoidance of sugar - I actually turned down free ice cream. I'm going to crash now. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Wednesday has been better. Ate responsibly and walked a few miles (which doesn't count for the exercise goal, but was nonetheless nice).

• Like 1

Thursday: was a proper binge day. There was chocolate, breaking the sugar rule. Fail.

Friday: calorie count was reasonable, but only ate one real meal.

Saturday: met both food goals.

Sunday: met both food goals.

I haven't done any extra exercise yet this week, but I'm going hiking tomorrow, so I'm not too worried.

The week that ended Wednesday had a score of 19/23, or 82%. I'm counting avoiding sugar in this one, which I forgot to do in the first week (the score for that week ought to have been 94%).