A&S Mini - Group R Cardio & Bodyweight Mix

Since we've been called out, I guess it's time for us to make some decisions. This grouping up & organizing thing is hard. . .

What's the focus of your group? 1 goal, 3 goals, motivation, tracking, etc...

a.    How much info do you want to share? There doesn't have to be a rule here, but if you're feeling iffy about the content (TMI stuff) but want to talk about it, then use the Spoiler box so that folks know that going into that box means you have agreed to the risk. Some folks handle other people's stories just fine, some get triggered. SPECIALLY useful for the group working on awkwardness!

b.    How often do folks think they should post? Don't overdo it, this isn't your main challenge, but you'll want enough that the conversation stays fresh and everyone gets a chance to chat about their stuff and give responses as they can/want.

4.        Make a short post once a week onto the mini threads (a post for week 1 is NOT required). It can be the same for both threads.

a. I am interested in motivation as a focus, but am not sure what you two have in mind. Thoughts?

b. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how often we would like to post to this thread?

• Like 1

Level: 3    Race: Wood Elf

STR: 4    DEX: 4    STA: 5 CON: 4    WIS: 4    CHA: 5

Previous Challenge Current Challenge

Spoiler

5%

Bodyweight Workout 3X per week (1of 18 total)

8%
8%

Cardio 2X per week (1 of 12 total)

23%
23%

30 Days of Yoga - Day 7 Completed

Motivation is a good shout for a focus, and I think posting once/week at least to cheer each other on and discuss how well the week has gone would be a good idea. Do we have any scouts involved yet? Might wander over to the Scouts forum if not and hunt out some people...

Aquatic Elf

Level 2 | STR 0 | DEX 0.5 | STA 1.5 | CON 6 | WIS 6 | CHA 1

Challenges 1 2

A) Share as little or as much as you feel comfortable sharing.  It takes a lot to get me to say "that was too much" (former hospital worker here), so I've seen and heard just about everything.

B) Post as much as you have time for, but at least once a week.  We're humans and we're busy, so how about we make it a point to check in as often as possible and post if we have anything to say, constructive or not?

As for motivation, I've been on a pretty good streak for the past few challenges.  I haven't had perfect scores, but I have noticed that I'm lifting a little heavier, running a little further, and my clothes are getting a little looser.  The motivation for me is that I really don't want to go back too where I was, so I'm making the conscious effort to watch what I eat within the goal I set for myself and stick to the workout plan.  

• Like 2

IronChefEd
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer | Subclass: Bard

[Level: 6 | STR: 33.7 | DEX: 7.7 | STA: 27.3 | CON: 27.9 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 15.5 ]

Current Challenge: 2016 is here!

24%
24%
Weight Loss Goal: 250 to 200

"No one will feed you as well as someone who loves you." -Alton Brown

I have been much more mindful of how I spend my time this week. Still have not started back on any projects, though. Instead spent the extra time gained updating finance info (a good thing) and making up some of the day's steps. Have a couple lunchtime events this week which cut out about 15 minutes I had been walking on lunch hour. I am on track to meet all other goals for the week.

Think I just need to set aside 10 minutes to start a project. Once I get started, I usually keep going and may even lose track of time as I become lost in the flow.

Spoiler

5%

8%
8%

23%
23%

Hi guys. Thanks for making me feel welcome in this group. This is my first challenge. I posted elsewhere my goals for this week.

I'll copy that post below, but Here I'll just talk about challenges, and highlights. You'll be my more inner circle. Who knows how much I'll open up. Too early to tell.  

I think at least a weekly check in would be great, but I've followed this thread and if I see others asking questions, or needing support, count on me to be there to do my part. 

Here then is the copy of my post from the adventurers mini forum. 

The big "life goal" is to become more well rounded and at peace.

6 week (ok 4 weeks now) goals: 

Exercise: Work out 4 x / week minimum. (2 cardio type / 2 strength)

By end, be able to do 8 controlled pull ups

Food. Eat Healthy, and start to learn about paleo. 

Limit alcohol to 5 drinks per week. 

Time Management: This is my worst attribute. I'm not sure how to create a smart goal around this.. I work for myself, so I haven't got anyone buy myself (and the fear of losing a client) to motivate me. How about "Log at least 20 billable hours into my time tracking software each week" 

Stress Management: Try to learn about Meditation and at least twice a week sit and try to meditate for at least 10 minutes each time. 

I like how we are encouraged to work on many aspects of our selves. 

Ok, so as i understand it. I can just come back and reply to this post with updates along the way. 

Next step... see if I can figure out minis. etc. 

Lots to learn. 

Wish me luck, and I'll try to be here for you all too. 

Red. 

• Like 1

Level: 2    Race: Human    Profession: Adventurer

STR: 2    DEX: 2    STA: 2  CON: 2    WIS: 2    CHA: 2

Waiting for next challenge to start

First Challenge (#40 - Adventurers)
 Goals:
 Workouts >5/wk, 8 Pullups, 20 Billable Hours/wk, Meditate 2x/wk, Keep drinks to <6/wk

I have been much more mindful of how I spend my time this week. Still have not started back on any projects, though. Instead spent the extra time gained updating finance info (a good thing) and making up some of the day's steps. Have a couple lunchtime events this week which cut out about 15 minutes I had been walking on lunch hour. I am on track to meet all other goals for the week.

Think I just need to set aside 10 minutes to start a project. Once I get started, I usually keep going and may even lose track of time as I become lost in the flow.

Oh I can really relate to the "just do 10 minutes" thing. I'll put off something for weeks, thinking it's a big deal, and then when I finally have to do it, it turns out to be pretty easy and sometimes doesn't take as long as I imagined. Just doing 10 minutes of all the things on my list would get so many checked off, and others under way. This coming week I'm going to schedule some time to try to spend 10 mins max on a bunch of things that i've been putting off. 

• Like 1

Goals:
 Workouts >5/wk, 8 Pullups, 20 Billable Hours/wk, Meditate 2x/wk, Keep drinks to <6/wk

Newbie question for my new friend here... 

how do I get those goal bars and the attributes to show up below my posts like some of you? Is this in the signature or something? 

Goals:

I'd forgotten to check in! Argh okay I'm here now. Good to see some new faces - I should aim to post in here more often!

So my week has gone well in all of my health/fitness/diet goals, but I really fell down on my life goal, barely reaching 50%. My motivation for my fitness goals is always pretty strong - I always just want to come along and tell everyone who follows my thread (and now you guys!) what I've been up to! But when it comes to my life goals, doing university work is so uninteresting and takes so much more motivation. 

Aquatic Elf

Challenges 1 2

Newbie question for my new friend here... 

how do I get those goal bars and the attributes to show up below my posts like some of you? Is this in the signature or something? 

Yes, it's one of the signature options. On the second row of tools above the typing box. It's one of the special BB code things (don't ask me how it works though, it took me so long to work out how to post a link!)

Aquatic Elf

Challenges 1 2

Thanks crar4221. That was the push I needed to figure it out.

• Like 1

Goals:

Wow. What a day. Volunteered at a community garden this am to help week garden beds. Then to church to clean after coffee hour. Tons of shopping.. Then more yard work, laundry, and helping my wife cook and clean up dinner.

I stopped for a few minutes to see how many pull ups I could do. (5).

Then did some sit ups and push ups for good measure.

I had reached my weekly drive limit, so instead of a beer I made some ice tea.

Also said no to the girl scouts cookies calling my name.

All in all a plus day.

• Like 2

Goals:

Wow. What a day. Volunteered at a community garden this am to help week garden beds. Then to church to clean after coffee hour. Tons of shopping.. Then more yard work, laundry, and helping my wife cook and clean up dinner.

I stopped for a few minutes to see how many pull ups I could do. (5).

Then did some sit ups and push ups for good measure.

I had reached my weekly drive limit, so instead of a beer I made some ice tea.

Also said no to the girl scouts cookies calling my name.

All in all a plus day.

Good work, Red! An A+ day indeed!

I've found a great motivation to stick strictly to paleo diet on my paleo days - I noticed this morning that my usual milky coffee tasted extra good for not having any yesterday! Brilliant! Next time I'm on a paleo day, I'll stick hard to it because I'll know that the next coffee I will have will be delicious!

• Like 1

Aquatic Elf

Challenges 1 2

Nailed all my exercise/life goals last week, and came close to maintaining my 50% Paleo diet on the weekend (for those of you who haven't seen my diet goal, I'm striving for 75-100% Paleo during the week and 50% on weekends, when I'm on the road playing gigs at the local Renaissance Festival, where almost everything is fried and on a stick).  There are a few options out there that fall within guidelines, so I need to make a conscious choice about what I'm grabbing for lunch and snacking on during the day.  But overall, a good second week!

IronChefEd

[Level: 6 | STR: 33.7 | DEX: 7.7 | STA: 27.3 | CON: 27.9 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 15.5 ]

24%
24%

Hey guys. Quick check in. I did a body weight workout yesterday, with push-ups, pull ups, handstand push ups and body rows. There was a yoga warm up. Today we did cardio... 5 rounds of 40 seconds filled by 20 seconds rest. 6 stations.

Jump rope, burpees, med ball slams, kick outs, box jumps, bear crawl.

Last night I attended a movie premier of a documentary type craft beer industry in Montana. I had only one beer. I could have easily ordered another if not for my commitment to this round. Hurray for accountability buddies!

Goals:

Hey ironchefed, great job on finding healthy food on the road. I'm impressed.

Goals:

We did high knees as part of our warm up today, but I'll try to do some more soon. 

Question: Do you guys like to see my workouts? or can i just say "bwb" or "cardio day". 

Also, should I also be posting anything in the Adventurer Challenge Forum? I have that post over there.. which I link to in my signature... so I feel like I should. 

Let me know what you think. 

We may need to get Cheerful Dame and others to chime in again. I'm curious how they are doing. 

As for the procrastination thing... This forum could be my biggest challenge! (irony). 

I also spent about 30 minutes organizing my browser's bookmarks yesterday. Not productive at all really. Oops!

Goals:

It's up to you whether you post your full workout. I tend to just say "BBWW" or "run" and keep the full details on my spreadsheet I keep for each challenge. There's more accountability if you post the full workout though, I suppose, but it's really up to you!

I agree that this website is quite the good procrastination station for me - have to be careful to limit myself to 20-30 mins or else all my time disappears!

Aquatic Elf

Challenges 1 2

Week 4 will be upon us soon.

What is working for you and your group?

Do you need different activities to keep things fresh?

Are there things you're no talking about that you are nervous about?

Is the challenge easier with your team with you?

What plans do you have for the rest of the challenge?

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Hi all,

A quick check-in. Last week I skipped the mini, somehow forgot about it in all the excitement of travel. I did not meet all of my goals, and my plan to work on balance to replace hooping did not happen. I didn't even think about it. I think the lesson I have learned here is that I need to create some kind of cue to remind me of my goals when I am away from my familiar routine and environment. On the bright side, I got lots of sunshine, made my step goal, and got in my bodyweight workout the first evening we were away from home. Halfway through the challenge, still time to ramp it up. However, need to get to work on some of those unfinished projects.

Spoiler

5%

8%
8%

23%
23%

I know what you mean, Cheerful Dame. I feel like my diet/fitness goals are really going well, I'm at about 80-120% of where I should be for each of my main three goals but my life goal is just getting forgotten and procrastinated and not achieved. Barely hitting 50% for that. If my Skype worked, I'd suggest that we could Skype each other for an hour to make sure we get something done on our life goals? Any other ideas?

Aquatic Elf

Challenges 1 2

Also I received a fitness tracker for my birthday (which is tomorrow, but I opened my presents from Mum while I was at home for the weekend). Now that's motivation! I'll be sure to let you know how it affects my workout motivation over the coming weeks!

• Like 1

Aquatic Elf

Challenges 1 2

Going to be hard to get all my usual exercise in this week, as I've been away from home four out of the last six days, but I'll put a little creative spin on it and figure something out.  Diet... been a little more of a challenge, but I've only missed my goal one day this entire challenge so far.  The "practice music" goal has been the least of my priorities, but since I'm performing every weekend, I don't feel like I'm falling that far behind.  Just need to brush up on a few pieces that are a little rusty.

• Like 1

IronChefEd

24%
24%

Going to be hard to get all my usual exercise in this week, as I've been away from home four out of the last six days, but I'll put a little creative spin on it and figure something out.  Diet... been a little more of a challenge, but I've only missed my goal one day this entire challenge so far.  The "practice music" goal has been the least of my priorities, but since I'm performing every weekend, I don't feel like I'm falling that far behind.  Just need to brush up on a few pieces that are a little rusty.

Sounds as if you are doing great. Looking forward to hearing what creative solution you come up with for your exercise.

Spoiler

5%

8%
8%

23%
23%

I know what you mean, Cheerful Dame. I feel like my diet/fitness goals are really going well, I'm at about 80-120% of where I should be for each of my main three goals but my life goal is just getting forgotten and procrastinated and not achieved. Barely hitting 50% for that. If my Skype worked, I'd suggest that we could Skype each other for an hour to make sure we get something done on our life goals? Any other ideas?

I don't have Skype, but will try to do a better job of checking in with you.Have you given any thought as to where you are encountering your point of resistance with your life goal? Perhaps pay careful attention to what you are thinking when you contemplate working on it, and especially the stories you are telling yourself about it. Also, perhaps remind yourself of why it is important for you to accomplish your life goal and what you will gain.

I have done this and discovered that a big problem for me is focus. I need to pick one goal and focus on it until I reach completion. I start on something, and then think "but I could be working on "X". That would be fun too. Maybe I should stop working on this for awhile, and start that instead since it's been so long since I worked on it.

I have given it some thought, and will prioritize in this order. Once I have completed these, I can look at my list for other projects to complete.

Garden:

1) Continue watering new plantings nightly for the rest of the week.

2) Plant peppers, potatoes, beans, cucumbers, etc.

3) Weed garden beds

4) Plant a second wave of lettuce, greens, & radishes

5) Trim rose bushes (late, but better than never)

6) Weed outlying areas, walking paths

Reward: A beautiful yard and delicious freggies

Scan Pictures (can do on rainy days/in the evenings/when it's too hot to garden):

1) Finish the photo album I am currently working on (only 2 pages left)

2) Go back & edit photos to remove any scanning artifacts (possibly convert to .JPG)

3) Share the photos I have completed with family, which will give me motivation to move on to the next group

4) Scan remaining albums following same process as above

5) Return albums to MIL

Reward: My den will once again be uncluttered, and anyone in the family who wants them will have a copy of these pics)

OR

Work on Skirt (another excellent project for indoor time)

1) Remove top seam

2) Cut lining fabric

3) Sew side seam on lining fabric

4) Sew waists together

5) Add elastic

6) Sew hem on liner

Reward: Proudly wear something I sewed myself

Spoiler

5%

8%
8%

23%
23%