Sarah - whole life fitness

So... I totally missed the first week of this because I thought the challenge didn't start until next week. Oops. So, I'm on the 5 week challenge again because I goofed. Oh, well. I'm still excited about this.

Whole life fitness - last challenge, I focused on mind and spirit, but I realized there is a lot more I can do to make my life more productive and full. So, I'm not just working on fitness this time - my whole life can be more fit!

My overarching goal is to get back down to 170 lbs so I can dance without getting tired and keep up with my nephew (and niece, once she gets mobile). I've broken down my goals this way:

Physical health: +1 Dex, +2 Sta, +1 Str, +1 Con (12 parts each week; 60 total)

• Walk 30 minutes 3/week 
  • Belly dance 2/week (focusing on 1hr videos) - I had wanted to take classes starting this challenge, but I plan to move by July 1, and I need to save my money for moving costs. :(
  • Bodyweight exercises 3/week (ideally in conjunction with my walk) - Need to get this plan down asap and will detail it once I get it worked out. EDIT: 3 sets 10 - girl push-ups, wall push offs, broom twist (broom across shoulders and twist), gallon jug curls, veggie can shoulder presses (arm straight out and lift), lunges, veggie can tricep workout (arms above head, bend elbows behind head), veggie can front lifts (thighs to shoulder height), veggie can side lifts (hips to shoulder level) wall squats (lean against wall and walk feet out to 45* angle, squat). If too easy, add more reps. May start with one set, but goal is to achieve 3 sets. 3, 5, 8 lbs weights to substitute for household items. (Note: I think my dad overestimates my physical prowess. Yikes.)
  • Food tracking 4/week - track all food 4 days out of the week - When this was a mini, it really made me focus on portion sizes and I'm hoping to see a higher weight-loss this challenge. Good eating habits was a goal I left out last challenge.

Spiritual health: +3 Wis, +2 Cha (7 parts each week; 35 total)

• Meditate 5/week
  • Work on spiritual class material for 1 hour 2/week

Mental health: +2 Con, +1 Wis, +1 Sta, +1 Cha (9 parts each week; 45 total)

• Limit TV watching to 2 hrs on 4/5 week nights, and no later than 10pm
  • Go to bed no later than 11pm on weekdays

I'll figure out the stat bonus for mental health later... But better rested helps the immune system, so it sort of makes sense, and I may keep it there. EDIT: Taking RD's suggestion, I've included Stamina, as well as Charisma (less irritable/more patient with people) and Wisdom (plan on using my time to be creative).

EDIT: Changed my stats according to the "new" rules - I used the questionnaire, which is older. And I've changed my earned points for this challenge to match up to the 15 potential earned points.

• Like 1

- Sarah

"I am the beauty of the green earth and the white moon among the stars."

My Epic Quests:

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/143011

tumblr_n3kfmpZxcG1srkiv2o1_400.gif

Welcome back Sarah!!! Yeah, it caught a lot of us off guard with only the one week break. Apparently those dates are projected dates and weren't actually set in stone. No worries, you could start tomorrow if you really wanted to. It doesn't matter if it's 5 weeks or 6, just that you are doing it.

Goals look really really good. Have you looked at any of the bodyweight workouts here? The Beginner Bodyweight one can be a lot but the Angry Birds one is pretty good, that's what I've been doing lately. You can always get to classes in the fall after you get settled in after the move. Where you moving to?

Great to see you back. Camped out watching your greatness this challenge!!!

• Like 1

Goals look really really good. Have you looked at any of the bodyweight workouts here? The Beginner Bodyweight one can be a lot but the Angry Birds one is pretty good, that's what I've been doing lately. You can always get to classes in the fall after you get settled in after the move. Where you moving to?

Great to see you, too! I'm super excited for both of us!

When I told my dad about NF, he offered to help me plan a workout. I told him I wanted to do one challenge first and then he could help. Now that I'm ready to add that part, it would mean a lot to have his help, so I'll start there. He was asked to join the SWAT team even though they knew he was having a hip replacement...  He kinda looks like Bruce Willis, even, so I totally think the movie RED is what his retirement will be like.

I'll be moving into Tampa to be closer to work. Our office just moved and I want to be closer. And I'd like central air and a dishwasher. :P

• Like 1

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

Considering it's Tampa I'd really hope for central air. My body type is "not compatible with excessive heat and/or humidity without proper ventilation". 

I know the bodyweight stuff has been working wonders for me because I also started with no exercise to now doing 4 days a week. Hoping that it helps you out too. Plus, personal opinion, your Mental Health goals could be both Con and Stamina. Just a thought. 

If I can be of any other help, just holler, I'm around :D 

• Like 1

4/19 - Did my walk this morning with my little man. "Go to pond, look at birdies." Good thing about taking my nephew? I have to push an extra 40 lbs around. Stepping up the workout as a side effect.

Also, did my hour of spiritual study.

I also went shopping and I'm kind of excited. I really want to do better with the food portion, so I bought a lot of veggies  to snack on, because that is my biggest issue (aside from drive-thrus from being on the road so much for work). Best part? The veggies were pre-cut since I'm kind of lazy about snacking and will forego good stuff for easy stuff. Then, I didn't buy cheese to snack on, or chips, because I tend to overdo it. I also didn't buy my favorite brand of hummus because I can totally eat a whole tub of that in one sitting; I bought organic instead. And red wine instead of my usual white and pink because I know red wine is supposed to be better (also organic).

Oh, and I bought a yoga mat so when I have to do floor work for dancing, I don't have to do it on my hard tile floor. Yay!

This challenge, I think I'm going to update my progress bars once a week; doing it every time I update got confusing.

• Like 3

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

Ooohh! Exciting stuff this challenge!  

We're at least going to have Wednesdays to walk! When I shift change I'll have Wednesdays and Thursdays off for at least the next three months. :3 

What kind of yoga mat did you get and do you like it so far? I've actually not gotten myself a mat yet even though I've been doing yoga this challenge. I need one. 

• Like 1

~Kurai~

Level 4 Catkind | Assassin

STR 7.1 | STA 4 | DEX 2.7 | CON 12.8 | WIS 8.9 | CHA 4.6

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3

Tumblr | Art Tumblr

4/20 - Did my meditation. Also, just now getting to TV watching, so will make my TV watching goal today, too - under 2 hours, and done by 10pm. Made it to bed by 11pm.

Boy was I busy today. Checking apartments, filling out apps, etc. Did my dishes, too. I meant to put that on as a goal this challenge, as well, but I like what I have right now, and I'm not really sure where it would go. And I did ok with food stuff, except the fast food burger on the way home - but, omg, I love hummus on raw bell peppers. So yummy.

• Like 2

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

Yum!!!  Maybe I'll work in some raw veggies and hummus in my planned snacks goal!  I tend to be lazy and eat either fruit or protein bars, but pre-cut fresh veggies might actually work.  Or get composted.  

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

4/21 - Made it to bed by 11pm, which is tough because it was gaming night. Everything else was a no go. It is also a bad day for food because of gaming snacking. But I am totally ok with that for one day.

4/22 - Did my walk. Also, it is a food tracking day:

Love(?) brand egg breakfast burrito, 24 oz DD iced coffee w/ skim and 3 splenda

Caesar side salad (lettuce, Caesar dressing, croutons, Parmesan cheese), chicken Alfredo on penne pasta, 1 slice of cheesecake w/ strawberries and blueberries

1 chocolate w/ liqueur filling (they were giving them out at lunch - kept one in my desk at work for those really bad days, lol)

chicken tender wrap w/ organic cheese, 1 tbsp Whole Foods guac, 1 tbsp non-fat plain Greek yogurt (healthier alternative for sour cream), 2 tbsp organic salsa; cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, and carrots with garlic hummus

32 oz diet blueberry iced tea

2 glasses of red wine (really one rather large glass)

2+ servings of chips (ouch) - I really had a snacky craving, and I can definitely do better. Luckily, it is my last bag of chips, so when it's gone, no more temptations.

I'm waiting till 8 to start watching TV so I can be done by 10 and head to bed. I don't think it's difficult for me to do, but I do need to hold myself accountable, and this is the way to do it. I'll finally get to some belly dancing tomorrow.

Kept to my TV watching limit and will be in bed soon.

• Like 1

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

Yum!!!  Maybe I'll work in some raw veggies and hummus in my planned snacks goal!  I tend to be lazy and eat either fruit or protein bars, but pre-cut fresh veggies might actually work.  Or get composted.  

It is definitely an awesome snack. However, I think my peppers went bad. Kind of slimy, so I tossed them. But the carrots and celery I bought pre-cut are fine. Also, I'm thinking I might switch to the small whole peppers you can buy. They're sweeter like bell peppers, not hot, but I can't remember what they're called. Then they won't go bad so quickly.

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

We're at least going to have Wednesdays to walk! When I shift change I'll have Wednesdays and Thursdays off for at least the next three months. :3 

What kind of yoga mat did you get and do you like it so far? I've actually not gotten myself a mat yet even though I've been doing yoga this challenge. I need one. 

Yay walking! It was good to see you today!

I haven't tried out the yoga mat yet. I'm going to use it tomorrow, I think, if the belly dancing video requires floor moves. It was a spur of the moment purchase when I was in Whole Foods buying groceries.

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

4/23 - Yay belly dancing! Yay body weight workout! Apparently, my dad did not overestimate my badassitude (we'll see how I feel tomorrow when I hurt all over). I did all of the exercises except the push ups because they hurt my knees, and the curls because I forgot and I'm not moving from this couch for like an hour. I am also super proud of myself for my food choices today. I was on the road all afternoon and I was so hungry, but didn't need a meal. I had to stop for gas, and Race Track sells veggie and cheese snack trays - score! I am very proud of myself for not giving in and going through a drive-thru.

Did my meditation. Kept to my TV limit, and will get to bed soon.

Food tracking:

Egg, potato, and kale breakfast; DD medium iced coffee w/ skim milk and 3 splenda

Two Moms cranberry bar

Turkey, bacon, and cheese lean pocket

Celery, carrots, cheese, and ranch dressing

48 oz diet blueberry iced tea

2.5 servings mushroom and olive Amy's brand pizza

• Like 2

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

It is a Gaiam Chakra Yoga mat. I liked it. Although it has that new plastic smell, which I expect will go away.

• Like 1

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

Thought I'd stop by and say hi! Love the goals - it's great that your dad's on board, too.

I did all of the exercises except the push ups because they hurt my knees,

So I was recently informed that knee push ups are less helpful than incline push ups, and when I looked into it, it seemed the logic held. Maybe try those? Then there isn't any pressure on your knees.

It is a Gaiam Chakra Yoga mat. I liked it. Although it has that new plastic smell, which I expect will go away.

I've got one of those - I'm fond of it. The smell does indeed vanish over time.

• Like 1

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

So I was recently informed that knee push ups are less helpful than incline push ups, and when I looked into it, it seemed the logic held. Maybe try those? Then there isn't any pressure on your knees.

I agree - the incline push ups would be more strenuous, but I don't have the strength to do those. I tried thinking that since my knees hurt, I'd do those. But no go.

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

Body weight exercises modifications now that I've done it a couple times:

3 sets 10 - knee push-ups, wall push offs, broom twist (broom across shoulders and twist), gallon jug curls, veggie can shoulder presses (arm straight out and lift), lunges, veggie can tricep workout (arms above head, bend elbows behind head), veggie can front lifts (thighs to shoulder height), veggie can side lifts (hips to shoulder level), squats. If too easy, add more reps. May start with one set, but goal is to achieve 3 sets. 3, 5, 8 lbs weights to substitute for household items.

4/24 - Skipped the lunges today. Boy do my legs hurt! Omg. I also did the push-ups today, but only did 2 sets. Those were hard. :( But I'm still really proud of myself since I didn't even think I could half of the exercises and I can do all of them (even if some are harder than others).

I also did my belly dancing since it was too hot out to walk and I can't wait till later because I am meeting friends tonight (yay!).

Food tracking:

DD wake up wrap (egg, cheese, ham), DD medium iced coffee w/ skim milk and splenda

Apricot raw bar (live/raw seeds and stuff)

Organic celery, carrots, and roasted pepper hummus

Taco Bell chicken quesadilla (So, on the way to my friend's house, I was getting really hungry, and I was all, I am not going to snack, I'm not going to snack... And then I realized I hadn't eaten dinner. Ha!)

2 glasses organic cucumber vodka w/ diet cranberry juice (Much more cucumber-y than I expected; think it will go better with mojito stuff.)

• Like 2

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

So, I am bad at math. When I figured out my weight-loss progress bar, I did it wrong. I actually made a little under 2% progress last challenge. But I had the chance to weigh myself last night, and I figured out the correct way to do the math for the progress bar. I've lost 9 lbs (7 lbs since last weigh-in)! Yay! So happy with myself.

• Like 2

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

4/25 - May need adjust my workout, at least the upper body part. I'm not sore the next day, which means I'm not stretching my limits. Although I do get the burn when I'm doing them, I think I'm not pushing myself the way I want. I'm going to talk to my dad about adding some reps.

Did my morning walk.

Did my body weight exercises, but I skipped the leg exercises. I hurt waaay too much. However, I did 3 sets of everything else, including push ups.

1 hour of spiritual study

Food tracking:

Breakfast burrito (2 organic eggs, organic cheese, 2 tsp Whole Foods guac, 2 tsp nonfat Greek yogurt, 2 tsp organic salsa)

16 oz water

Chicken tender wrap (4 chicken tenders, organic cheese, 2 tsp Whole Foods guac, 1 tsp nonfat Greek yogurt, 2 tsp organic salsa) - Can you tell I'm trying to eat up all the guac before it goes bad? ;)

32 oz diet peach iced tea

Late July organic mojo chips w/ guac (kept it to one serving this time)

Organic carrots, celery and roasted pepper hummus

Amy's Light and Lean veggie pizza

Glass of Merlot

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

Week 1 Summary:

Physical health: +1 Dex, +2 Sta, +1 Str, +1 Con (12 parts each week; 60 total)

• Walk 30 minutes 3/week  - Success!
  • Belly dance 2/week - Success!
  • Bodyweight exercises 3/week - Success!
  • Food tracking 4/week - Success

Spiritual health: +3 Wis, +2 Cha (7 parts each week; 35 total)

• Meditate 5/week - only 3 :(
  • Work on spiritual class material for 1 hour 2/week - Success!

Mental health: +2 Con, +1 Wis, +1 Sta, +1 Cha (9 parts each week; 45 total)

• Limit TV watching to 2 hrs on 4/5 week nights, and no later than 10pm - Success!
  • Go to bed no later than 11pm on weekdays - Success!
  • Like 1

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

So, this week is going to be tough because I'm going to a festival for the weekend. I know it will screw up my workouts, but if I dance around the fire each night (in place of body weight exercises or walking), I will count it as a success for my physical health goals. I think that will be the only one affected, as I can get to all the other goals during the earlier part of the week. I'm also starting my food tracking earlier this week so I don't have to cram it in to the last 4 days of the week.

4/26 - Belly dancing done. I need to try and find some intensive hour long videos. The one I did today was very good for learning the basic moves, but wasn't really strenuous enough to feel like a workout. I may have to just do 2 half hour ones.

1 hour of spiritual study done.

< 2 hours of TV watching and off by 10

Meditation done

Bed by 11

Food tracking:

Breakfast burrito (2 organic eggs, minced garlic, organic cheese, organic salsa)

48 oz diet peach iced tea

DD medium iced coffee with skim milk and splenda

Black bean soup and chicken ceviche wrap (grilled chicken, avocado, tomatoes, mushrooms, and balsamic vinaigrette) - Lucked out on this one; was going to have to go through a drive-thru, but my sister was running late so I stopped for lunch. Omg, yum!

Glass of sangria (omg, the strawberry garnish was huge and perfectly ripe!)

Red wine

20 oz water

Zucchini and summer squash with buffalo chicken dip and guacamole

Cucumber and hummus and chicken tender wrap (3 chicken tenders, organic cheese, cucumber, and ranch dressing) - Forgot to measure the ranch on this one and definitely used too much. Will remember for next time.

• Like 2

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

4/27 - Did my walk. Did my body weight exercises - 3 sets of everything, except lunges, which I did only 1 set of, in the hopes that my legs don't scream at me for the next three days like they did last week when I tried it for the first time. Also, bought weights so I increased from 1 lb to 3 lbs on some exercises, but on the curls I went from 6 lbs to 5 lbs, and I don't think that was enough. Next time, I'll try the 8 lb weights.

1 hour spiritual study

Meditation done

TV limit met, in bed by 11

Food tracking day:

Bacon, egg, and cheese Lean Pocket, DD medium iced tea w/ skim milk and splenda

Amy's Pesto Tortellini (Omg, my favorite - the basil is so fresh, it smells like a garden cooking in the microwave.)

1 Reese's PB cup mini

Raw pumpkin seed bar

48 oz diet peach iced tea

1.5 servings Late July green mojo chips (And now they're all gone - yay!)

Cheese and spinach quesadilla (2 servings cheese, organic spinach, 2 tsp nonfat Greek yogurt, 2 tsp organic salsa)

• Like 2

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

4/28 - Made it to bed by 11, watched 0 TV (gaming night). That was all.

4/29 - Walked for a 30 minutes (Actually, walked for an hour in the morning looking at sidewalks for one of my associations.) Will do my body weight exercises tomorrow since my mom arrived today and I went to meet her for dinner after walking with Kurai.

Got distracted waiting for my laundry to finish and didn't make the 10pm limit on TV, nor the 11pm bed-time tonight.

Meditation done

Food tracking:

Ham, egg, and cheese Wake up wrap, DD medium iced coffee with skim milk and splenda

Grilled salmon sandwich with flavored mayo (dill, I think), tomato, and lettuce

40 oz raspberry iced tea

2 chicken fajitas with cheese, peppers, tomatoes, 1 tsp sour cream (each)

12 oz Coke zero

40 oz diet peach iced tea

8 oz mead

• Like 1

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

4/30 - Meeting ran late so I didn't get my body weight workout in. I'm going to try to get to it tomorrow morning before I go to work, but I'm still wishy washy on that one - gonna leave early to get to Festival, so I don't know if I can go in late. Though I did kind of work my ass off today to get caught up. Meditation done, in bed by 11, met TV limit.

Food tracking:

Evol breakfast burrito, DD medium iced coffee with skim milk and splenda

1/2 Chili's grilled chicken/bacon/avocado/tomato sandwich (on a pretzel roll with seasoned mayo)

A few fries (pretty much literally) dipped in ranch dressing

Chips and bean dip

40 oz blackberry iced tea

Leftover Chili's chicken sandwich

Glass red wine

8 oz diet peach iced tea

• Like 1

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

Did you get your workout in??  

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Did you get your workout in??  

I did, indeed! I left for a Festival Friday night, which is why I have not posted all weekend.

Here's a summary:

5/1 - Danced for an hour and used fans, so even got a good workout for my arms.

Food tracking - 

Mini bagel (raisin and cinnamon) with cream cheese, DD medium iced tea with skim milk and splenda

1/2 Greek Salad (mostly just ate the good stuff out and left the lettuce), 1/2 Gyro

10 oz water

DD medium iced tea with skim milk and splenda

Mojo pork, couscous and veggie thing (I didn't make it, so I don't know what all was in it) - I tried to eat veggies vs. just starch, and I tried to keep my portions small even though there was a TON of food every meal.

5/2 - Danced for a short time at the Fire Circle. Fire ants got to me and I had to leave.

- Sarah

My Epic Quests: