Al seeks out more brutality

Old Man AL

So I've been making slow progress since the beginning of the year and I'm really tired of that.  I want to see if I can really hammer myself for 6 weeks.  Yes, I'm starting a week late.  I had it marked on my calendar that this challenge started today, so I'm just going to run it from now through May 31st. 

Of some note, I'm currently reading The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie.  If you are into rangers and wizards and warriors and political intrigue, its pretty freakin' awesome.  Check it out.  It makes me want to level up and be more awesome.

This will be a 3 part challenge for me, because three is the number of completeness.  I thought about making this a 7 part challenge, because 7 is the number of perfection, but that seemed like an awful lot, so I settled for completeness.  We'll go for perfection later.  Without further ado...

Goal 1: A solid foundation

Diet and hydration.  I will consume no more than 1750 calories per day and no less than 170g of protein per day.  I will also drink 8 pints (one gallon) of water each day.

Starting with a daily score of 10, I will deduct one point for missing a pint of water.  I will deduct one point for going over or under my caloric goal by a full 100 calories.  I will deduct one point for going under my protein goal by a full 10 grams.  Scores will be taken daily and averaged\graded weekly.  These will be tracked in my excel spreadsheet.

9.0+ = A

7.5 - 8.99 = B

6.5 - 7.49 = C

5.5 - 6.49 = D

under 5.5 = F

Goal 2: Becoming what I want

Physical and mental training.  I will start everyday with a dynamic warmup (and coffee, but that goes without saying) for 1 point.  I will exercise twice a day, six days a week, on the following schedule MWF AM - mental exercise, for the beginning of this challenge I'll be studying the book of Ezekiel.  PM - running, either 2+ miles of flat running or 30 minutes of hill sprints.  TRS AM - lower body lifting.  PM - upper body lifting.  Each workout scores 2 points.  Every workday I will do the "break circuit" that I've designed at least once.  1 circuit = 1 point.  I will ride my bike to work and home for lunch every time it isn't wet out when it's time to leave.  1 round trip = 1 point.  If I miss a ride due to rain, I will allow 20 minutes on the elliptical machine as a substitute.  So in a week it would be possible to see the following:

warm ups = 7pts

full workouts x12 = 24 pts

break circuits x5 = 5 pts

cycling x 10 = 10 pts

TOTAL = 46 pts

I'll be tracking these in my daily battle log and grading them weekly as follows:

43-46 pts = A

39-42 pts = B

35-38 pts = C

31-34 pts = D

30 or less = F

Goal 3: Home and Happiness projects

I will spend 15 hours per week working on major home projects, and at least one hour per week spending one on one, qualify time with each of the other 4 people in my household.  The quality time goal will be generally limited to the weekends due to Goal 2, but we may be able to fit it in during the week, here and there.  I have a lot of ideas for quality time, so no fear of running out of those.  The first major home project will be cleaning and organizing the garage.  This will also be tracked daily in the battle log, and graded weekly.

19 hours = A

18-18.99 hrs = B

17-17.99 hrs = C

16-16.99 hrs = D

less than 16 hrs = F

I don't have much planned for rewards on this challenge.  But if I stick to it for the full 6 weeks, I have a very strong feeling that the results of hitting high marks on all of these will be a pretty huge reward by itself!

Level 2 Human Squire

I want to be a Paladin.  Current Challenge Battle Log

Previous Challenges: 1  2

Challenge: Go from a 42 inch waist to a 34 inch waist

25%
25%

Challenge: 100 Wilkes point deadlift.

76.73%
76.73%

This is going so well.  I used to hate leg day with a passion, if I even did it at all.  Now I start sweating hard early in the workout and by the time I hit hang cleans at the end, its coming down in buckets and I LOVE it.  Today is a weights day and I feel fantastic!  When I put my pics on the computer tonight we'll see if I look as good as I feel.  The new workout and diet plan is awesome so far, can't wait to see if that keeps on being the case.  DOMS have only been moderate, and that's probably because I have continual periods of intense activity followed a couple hours sitting in a fixed position in a chair.

Better is better, but better would be better.

Level 2 Human Squire

25%
25%

76.73%
76.73%

Nice work! What's the dynamic warmup you're doing in the mornings? Something I've been looking to incorporate myself.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

The link button on here doesn't work with my office computer, so you may have to cut and paste this:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/01/09/warm-up/

I typically break a light sweat doing it, because I'm not in great shape.  I do the warm-up right after a light breakfast.  Then I take the dog for a walk while drinking another cup of coffee.  Then I go downstairs and hit the weights, and mornings are lower body time.

It took a little off my squats, but I'm cool with that since I don't seize up later in the day now.

Level 2 Human Squire

25%
25%

76.73%
76.73%

End of week 2, I gained a pound and a half, and I'm guessing it wasn't all solid muscle.  The weekend got away from me and there was some eating for comfort.  Still, I think things are going to be better on the other side of all of that, and I'm back on the horse.

Totals for week 2

Diet = F

Workouts = F

Projects = 22.5 hours in = A

I'm shooting for all passing grades this week.

Level 2 Human Squire

25%
25%

76.73%
76.73%

Ug.  Week three was better than prior efforts, but still under performing.  I think my goals may be a little unrealistic.

I am officially modifying the diet goal to eliminate the penalty for being under calories.  I has led to some late day eating that turned into a "cascade failure".  I'm also reducing the protein intake requirement to 150.  My main goal right now is to cut within the bounds of sanity.  I feel like I've been on a cut my whole life, and I really want to get to the point where I can start tweaking for maintenance.  It also appears that I grossly over estimated how much time I have available to me, so I am modifying the Projects goal.  Still one hour of qualify time with each other family member, but reducing time spent working on the garage to 11 hours from 15.  I'll fix my first post later today.

I pulled an F in diet and hydration last week, but only barely, with a total of 5.3.

I squeaked out a C in the exercise \ workout goal last week with 36 points.

I failed in the Projects goal.  Brutally.

I'm going to keep hobbling along at this.  I really do believe that I can make a go of this, eventually, even if it's just one of the 6 weeks in the challenge.

Level 2 Human Squire

25%
25%

76.73%
76.73%