• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jasuntzu

jasuntzu - Art of Fitness

I am late as usual but I won't let that become another excuse to procrastinate.  I used to be a personal trainer, hiker of forests, practitioner of chi gung and tai chi, mountain biker, climber of big hills just because they were there, hunter, and Holistic Health Practitioner (HHP).  I am now a father and a man who works/travels a lot.  I have lots of excuses for how I fell out of shape.  I am tired of thinking about what I want to be or what I used to think I was, and I am ready to go and get it.  I like what you do here, Steve and Team.  You inspire so many, including me.  So here goes.....

My main Quest:  I want to lose weight and get strong so that I feel and look better.  I want more energy, and to keep up with my kids as they get older. 

My first challenge (starting 4/20/2015):
  1. I will lose 10 lbs by the end of my challenge (6 weeks)
  2. I will exercise 3 times a week for 6 weeks (body weight train)
  3. Meditate 3 times a week or more
  4. No drinking of beer during the week (man is that full of calories!)

This is my first challenge and I am looking forward to y'all keeping me honest (yes I said y'all).

Rock on!

I want to give clarity to what I am trying to accomplish.  After poking around the forums a bit, I realized that I really half @$$ed my entry. Here is what I am trying to do:

Introduction: I am jason.  I work in technology and business as a consultant.  I love binge watching episodes of xfiles, walking dead (kinda weird show), and GOT.  I used to weigh over 200 lbs at 5'7" about 3 years ago.  I couldn't button the top button on my shirts anymore.  I developed a weird heart issue and got yelled at by a doctor...yelled at.  He told me that I was too young to be having these issues.  I searched all over for motivation, went to gyms and just really reverted back to spending a lot of time at a gym and seeing no results.  Then I found NF.  I crept around the perimeter, looking in and spotted the bodyweight training.  I picked up running (I hate running) and started to go back to whole foods.  I lost 20 - 30 lbs over 1.5 years.  The rest never came off.

Main Quest:  Hit a target weight within range of my body type but develop strength to lift, throw, climb, and do a handstand.

Quest 1: Work out 3 times a week doing body weight training, angry birds, etc.

Measurement: A = 18+ for the challenge/3+ times a week or more, B = 15 -18 and 3 times a week, C = 12-15, F = any less than 12 total

Quest 2: Meditate 5 times a week

Measurement: A = 5+ times, B = AVG 3, C = AVG 2

Quest 3: Eat less calories (under 1600) - increase whole fresh foods and reduce carbs - monitor with Myfitness pal

Measurement: A = Average a week at or below caloric intake B = 2 or 3 days over in a 7 day period/ less than 3 overall, C = 3 or 4 days over less than 5 overall, D = 5 or more days over caloric range, F = at any point dropping below 1200 calories or abandoning caloric monitoring (without being crazy about counting...just get er dun)

Quest 4: Lose 10 lbs by the end of the first challenge. (I weigh 174 now)

A = 10+ lost, B = 7-10 lost

Quest 5: No beer consumption Sunday through Thursday

A = just making it through this part, B = 6 times overall, C = 10 times overall

Motivation:  I want to keep up with my kids, look good for my lady, be able to run up stairs without hyperventilating, and feel good about myself.

• Like 1

Knocked out 2 days of body weight training and rode a stationary bike for 30 minutes both times.  I am going to conquer the full body weight circuit this week (do all the reps and intervals) and keep riding the bike.  No beer yet and my calories are right were they should be.  Good first week for me.  I want to incorporate some pull ups now that I got a bar.

How long have you been on NF?

• Like 1

How are you finding MFP? I use it, but keeping everything below 1600kcal...wow! I know that's probably close to your bmr at 5'7".

Are you doing intervals on the bike? If I use a stationary I try to do HIIT workouts.

Keep being Awesome!

Week 1 results:

Quest 1: A+  Made it through the full routine but I am noticing a pain in my knees that is not so great.  I did some research and think I will try some wall sits for now.  Definitly the lunges.  I left those out and felt ok the next round.

Quest 2: A  Om Mani Padmi Hung - Feeling great!

Quest 3: C - hit my target until the introduction of beer.  I didnt make it through the weekend shooting for my calorie goal as well as drinking beer.  Not going to be possible.  I am going to offset the beer by introducing the couch to 5k plan.  I believe that I can do it.  I just need support....I think I found that here at my job.

Quest 4: A+++  I am now at 170.5!!!  I think its the lack of beer everyday as well as the excercising.  This will happen everytime.  I am going to introduce running into the mix as I know this is new to my body and should help me lose more weight and take a new challenge on.

Quest 5: C - Only dinging myself because of the damn calories.  I made it through the whole week with no alcohol consumption.

Every morning I get up, I think to myself "Self..you can sleep in...no worries...plenty of time."  And then the saying, Don't give up your goals for what you want today echos through my head.

Rock on

@sowilo - I like MFP but it is not the most accurate.  It helps me catalog what I am eating and detect those sleeper cells that add a bunch of calories.  Again, something like cashews has a high content of  calories and fat, but so what...its natural and good for you.

As for the stationary bike...I alternate routines to keep myself doing something different.  Its too nice outside this time of year for me to ride the stationary bike all the time so I am looking to run a bit.  Pray for me.

Hello Jasuntzu and welcome to Nerdfitness!  Good week 1 results.   It sounds like you're modifying things sensibly where you need to.  How are your knees doing now?

I'm one of the ambassadors for the Monk's guild.  We keep an eye out for people who may wish to join our guilds and help out with the Recruits.  Many of the martial artists and fighters hang out with us.  Many of us also cross-train with other fitness types (running, weight lifting, bodyweight strength training).  If you'd like, please feel welcome to drop by the Monk's Courtyard.  I'll be keeping an eye on your thread.  Please let me know if you have any questions or need anything!

• Like 1

Hello Jasuntzu and welcome to Nerdfitness!  Good week 1 results.   It sounds like you're modifying things sensibly where you need to.  How are your knees doing now?

I'm one of the ambassadors for the Monk's guild.  We keep an eye out for people who may wish to join our guilds and help out with the Recruits.  Many of the martial artists and fighters hang out with us.  Many of us also cross-train with other fitness types (running, weight lifting, bodyweight strength training).  If you'd like, please feel welcome to drop by the Monk's Courtyard.  I'll be keeping an eye on your thread.  Please let me know if you have any questions or need anything!

Thank you, Teirin!  My knee on my right leg is shot.  Pain in the lower part of the knee cap.  I have switched from Lunges to wall sits in order to still get through the body weight workout (BBWW?)  and not create any more damage to the knee.  I am a Hockey Goalie and have been for many years (since I was 16 yo).  I beat my knees up pretty good.  I have not started running yet (Couch to 5K) but plan to start next week to introduce different exercise to my body.

I checked out the Monk's guild right when I started.  Pretty Awesome!  Lots of martial artists on there.  I am not practicing any form of fighting art but was into Kenpo/Karate for much of my youth (5-9 years old).  My Chi gung and Tai Chi practice has been on and off for many years.  I am an avid watcher of kung fu movies and seek to actually be competent in the arts one day.  Thank you for the invite and for reaching out!

Week 2 was challenging...I guess that's the point!  With pain it becomes easier to justify the habits of old.  I made my goals, just barely, but I made it.  I did have a glass of wine yesterday to celebrate overcoming 2 days of not working out (I worked out that morning).  A little reward for staying focused and coming back.

I will score myself on Sunday as I begin week 3 of the challenge.  Many of my coworkers have started asking me questions about what I am doing.  I keep telling them about Nerd Fitness (we are all nerds here).  I think I need a shirt to get some of these folks on the wagon!!!

I realized that I was not following the right sites either - missed the mini challenges (Sorry Blaidd) but I am making up for it now.  So much cool stuff on this domain.  I have a goal to start reaching out to more folks and making friends this week and next.

Have a great weekend!

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable? Yes.  Totally doable.  Just have to STICK WITH IT

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?  They all build into the tip of a sharp spear.  All related and achieving my ultimate goal.

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?  I could break out more chunks into smaller achievable goals..that is what other challenges are for, right?

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them?  Yes.  Cant have a SMART goal if you cant measure it

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?  For the weight loss, yes.  Everything else has a range.  If you measure it, it will improve

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?  I am injured now. Its about adapting the goals to the best of your ability.  If I fail, I RESPAWN...>AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH (battle cry)

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?  I have a big trip coming up for work.  These guys like to eat rich food and drink.  It will be a challenge but I walked in knowing this.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?  Yes..more or less.  Allowing myself to drink beer on the weekends directly competes with the caloric deficit target.  I learned that the hard wy the first week.  I have since adapted by introducing another challenge to mitigate keep the caloric deficit high and agreed to just drink less beer.

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?  I have set the time in the morning.  If I miss the morning, I can make it up in the afternoon, but I will reduce my points as part of that.  Gotta keep the routine.

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest?  Build many good habits...all focused on mind and body.  These are the first steps in my Epic Quest to build a solid foundation.

Ha!  Love the enthusiasm :-)  You may also be interested in stopping by the Assassins.  Many of the bodyweight training enthusiasts there. 

Being a hockey goalie would indeed be hard on the knees. 

Week 2 results:

Quest 1: B  Added some wall sits for now for the knee pain.  The pain has gone down dramatically.  I have still not started running.

Quest 2: A  Om Mani Padmi Hung - Still killing loving it

Quest 3: C Made it through the week at a great target...until the weekend...only 1 day this week over my caloric intake.

Quest 4: B no additional loss this week..I haven't started running yet.  Need to ding myself on that.  Food is going good but I have to stop this habit of 'rewarding myself'.  Its creating an excuse to throw it out the window.

Quest 5: B - Had a glass of wine but no beer.  The idea is to not drink at all...I am still doing really well.  I said "No" a few times!

Here goes week 3 and it is already tough.  Hard to stay focused on the goal.  I wanted to go out and binge eat a cheese covered sandwich because my salad looked like rabbit food...(yum...rabbits).  Instead I ate my salad and had a great conversation with someone who is going to help me buy half a cow and 2 pigs for meat over the next year.  BONUS!!!!  

Keep it real NERDS!

• Like 2

I RAN TODAY!!!!  STARTED THE COUCH TO 5K!!!!  This is huge for me.  I finally did it.  It felt great!

WOOT WOOT!!!!

12.5 mile run walk pace 2.25 total miles.

• Like 3

I RAN TODAY!!!!  STARTED THE COUCH TO 5K!!!!  This is huge for me.  I finally did it.  It felt great!

WOOT WOOT!!!!

12.5 mile run walk pace 2.25 total miles.

BADASS!!! Way to Go!! :victorious: 

Week 2 results:

Quest 1: A+  Continued wall sits for the knee pain.  The pain has gone down and not resurfaced.  Those lunges were killing me.  I started running, doing the couch to 5K.  Its slow which is what I need.  Had some pain on the top of my foot and shins.  Ran the second time and did not have nearly the same pain.  I have also started lifting weights.  Feels great to be getting strong!

Quest 2: A  I love meditation.

Quest 3: C Made it through the week at a great pace...but went over my caloric intake 3 times.

Quest 4: A - Lost 2 pounds this week. I have been not so great eating high calorie food so I need to be careful.

Quest 5: D - Had a few beers this week for client relationships.  I am not doing great on this one.

Week 3 was hard.  I feel great for the wins!  I have been talking about how awesome NF is to anyone who will listen.

Week 4 has started out rough, again high calorie food and beer.  Travel doesnt have to be  hard.  I have introduced weights to counterbalance the travel diet....always remembering that I cannot out run my fork.

ROCK ON, NERDS!

• Like 1

Exactly so but I will note that you still lost 2 lbs while going over your limit several times.  It's still clearly going well.

Week 4 Results

Quest 1: Work out 3 times a week doing body weight training, angry birds, etc.

Week 4 Result = A+  Started working with weights.  Added 5x5 hybrid until I can get some regular free weights on a regular basis.  Spontaneous push ups, and running.  Good times.  I feel stronger.  I need to establish a rhythm once I am not travelling anymore.

Quest 2: Meditate 5 times a week

Week 4 Result = A+ Om Mani Padme Hum

Quest 3: Eat less calories (under 1600) - increase whole fresh foods and reduce carbs - monitor with Myfitness pal

Week 4 Result = D-  I really tried but I have consistently failed.  Not as many fresh foods.  Travelling is a great excuse to blame something other than will power for sucking at your mission.  RESPAWNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!  The only reason I didn't fail myself is I added more exercise.  I haven't run mainly because of the unicorns that convince me its not a good idea.  Damn unicorns.  CANT OUTRUN YOUR FORK.

Quest 4: Lose 10 lbs by the end of the first challenge. (I weigh 174 now)

Week 4 Result = B  No gain/no loss.  I can't wait to really get it together to see some results.  I think building the habits is what is the most important.

Quest 5: No beer consumption Sunday through Thursday

Week 4 Result = F  I pretty much drank every day this week....maybe not 1.  BIG FAT F.

I am enjoying this even though I am not doing so great this week.  But the reality is in the powerful habits we can build through this type of 6 week commitment.  The habits are what is key.  Working out again, attempting to run (damn unicorns), and paying attention to food.  I am happy to start lifting again.  I feel strong.  Good stuff.

• Like 1

Overall Results

So I ended on an upside.  I didn't loose all the weight (but a good amount (8 lbs)).  I didn't even get through the last two weeks honoring any of my challenges....no meditation, over calories, no regular workouts.

What I learned:

Don't bite off more than you can chew.  The regular habits are what makes you successful.  I am now clear on what I like to do to exercise.  I now wake up at a regular time everyday.  I now alternate days of running the couch to 5k.  I am working to get a gym membership to continue the 5x5 program (well...start over)

This was a great experience for me and I hope to continue with NF!

ROCK ON!

What I learned:

Don't bite off more than you can chew.  The regular habits are what makes you successful.  I am now clear on what I like to do to exercise.  I now wake up at a regular time everyday.  I now alternate days of running the couch to 5k.  I am working to get a gym membership to continue the 5x5 program (well...start over)

This is exactly correct.

Hey!  We're two weeks into the current challenge.  Jump right back in!