Something I love about hero stories is that typically the main character gets knocked down (sometimes very hard), but they have the resilience and ability to get back up.

I posted my story in the Respawn forum, but figured I would start a daily log here to track as I work on getting back up.  Since I'm coming back between challenges, my goals here are a bit more long term than the focused 6 week challenge goals.

Inspirations:

• Black Canary - Yeah she has sonic super powers, but she trained in classical boxing techniques, and was the hand-to-hand combat instructor in "Young Justice". She can go up against tough villains, and kicks serious butt.
  • Xena - Need I say more? I grew up on those shows, and "warrior woman" is tots my jam.
  • Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson - Do yourself a favor, and check out his twitter or Instagram. He's always so positive about his workouts, and just exudes "can do" spirit.
  • Nikkita - International spy/assassin trying to make past wrongs right, fighting the good fight, and protecting the people she cares about. Heck yeah!
  • The Flash - Regardless of super speed, he's another all around positive dude, who takes care of his enemies with an inspiring level of compassion.

Villains:

• Darth Desk Job - I sit. A lot. I'm an engineer and spend my 8-5 behind a computer.
  • Sally Sweet-Tooth - DAMN YOU SALLY!
  • Theodore Travel Bottom - I have to travel for work quite a bit in the summer, and am usually headed to areas with limited food options.
  • The Stressinator - In addition to travel, my job can be hella stressful, and I'm shit about self care when work hits critical mass.

Allies:

• Husband Man - Not every epic tale needs a love story, but mine has one. Husband Man has my back in any fight, and I have his.
  • Perpetual Motion Puppy - Some side kicks fight crime, others chase squirrels.
  • The Extraordinary League of Family Peeps - We team up from time to time to fight crime, bag summits, and see exotic locales.

Goals:

Food goals - I've been an ovo/lacto vegetarian for about a year. I'm sticking with that and would like to continue working on reducing the presence of animal products in my meals. I'm also working on eating more fresh prepared meals as opposed to pre-packaged or restaurant meals. Specifics:

• Reduce meals out to 2 or fewer per week.
  • Only have dairy or eggs in one meal per day.
  • Do weekly meal planning with Husband Man.
  • Hit up the farmer's market at least every other week (when I'm in town) for a veggie I wouldn't normally buy at the super market.
  • Stop visiting the snack drawer at work by planning breakfasts and lunches.

Fitness goals - Kick it Canary style!

• There is a boxing gym near my work, that I'm going to check out.
  • Start lifting at the rec center with Husband Man.
  • Take Perpetual Motion Puppy for a walk before work every day. Bonus mode: get a hike in with her on weekends as the weather warms up.
  • Take lunch walks during the day to get away from my computer (even for just 15-20 minutes).

Adventure goals - More hiking, fun travel and playing outside.

Non-negotiable quality of life vices:

• Scotch/whisky/bourbon - I have a couple of fingers of one of these less than once per week (every other week - monthly would probably be more accurate).
  • Ice cream - One scoop or less per week (at least in the summer the ice cream parlor in our town is the best thing ever).  Game plan is to earn it throughout the week via workouts and otherwise clean eating. Teaming up with Sally Sweet-Tooth from time to time keeps her in line overall.
  • Video games - FFXIV is my jam, Husband Man and I play with friends near and far, and it's an important part of our social schedule. With the right attitude gaming doesn't have to be a destructive pursuit.

I'm a little nervous posting all of this, but being accountable is important, and solidifying and tracking goals is the name of the game.

Let's do this!

• Like 1

Level 0 Undine Druid

"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, not food.†~ Finding Nemo

June challenge thread.

Battle log, for a day under siege.

Good things from yesterday:

Got out for a lunch walk.

Identified when the introductory class at the boxing gym is.

Had a really good breakfast and lunch.

Didn't hit the snack cabinet at work.

2 out of 3 meals were vegan.

Areas for improvement:

Ate out for dinner.

Totally stress ate a Klondike bar and a beer. 

Didn't give myself enough time to walk the dog before work.

Level 0 Undine Druid

"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, not food.†~ Finding Nemo

June challenge thread.

Yesterday's good stuff:

Avoided the sweets.

Avoided the snack cabinet.

Packed a breakfast and lunch.

Took the dog for a walk.

Areas for improvement:

Ate out again for dinner.

Only one vegan meal.

No lunch walk.

Work yesterday was insane -> I worked through lunch, and was so exhausted by the time I got home that cooking was pretty much the last thing on my to-do list.  However the weekend draws ever closer. Going to meal plan with Husband Man tonight, and get us set up to go shopping Saturday.

Level 0 Undine Druid

June challenge thread.

Yesterday - 

The good:

Took Perpetual Motion Puppy for a walk before work... and a walk after work... and got in two other walks during the day.

Used my balance ball as a chair all day.

Packed a breakfast and lunch.

Ate dinner at home.

Tracked all my calories for the day, and actually finished my food log.

Planned meals for the weekend.

The bad:

After a stressful interlude, totally comfort ate three dove promises.

No vegan meals.

Weekend goals -

Go grocery shopping and stock up for planed meals.

Hit up the farmer's market.

Check out the intro to boxing class on Sunday.

Level 0 Undine Druid

June challenge thread.

Catching back up!

Made it to the farmer's market, got some asparagus, rhubarb, and raw honey for some experimenting this week.

Found out I have to travel over mother's day -> went on a mini trip with my mom and grandma over the weekend.  Off the rails a little on diet and working out, but totally fell into the adventure/explore more, so I'm OK there.  We went to a hot spring, and did a cave tour, plus quality time = tots worth it.

Back on track today, and starting meal planing for my up coming trip.

Thanks, Madbethcash! Detailed is about the only way my brain works ;). Environmental engineer.

Level 0 Undine Druid

June challenge thread.

Good things: 

• Two vegan meals
  • Home cooked dinner (polenta, asparagus, artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, with pesto; so good!)
  • Morning walk with the dog
  • Lunch time stress relief walk
  • Stayed under my calorie goal for the day

Areas for improvement:

• Totally comfort ate some dove promises from the snack cabinet at work. That thing is pure evil.
  • Still haven't managed to make it to either the boxing gym or the rec-center.

Level 0 Undine Druid

June challenge thread.

Thanks!

Yesterday was ok. Co worker is leaving -> we had a going away happy hour for her. Managed to stay under my calorie goal even with a beer and happy hour small plates.

In a larger leveling up life sense, had some good conversations this week about life and work. As insane as my job has been, I think an over arching plan in falling into place -> I'm in a head space with a lot of purpose and drive right now. Going to try to fold all of it together.

Plans for the weekend:

• "Avengers: Age of Ultron" tonight!
  • Some big gardening projects this weekend. I'm finally feeling confident that the weather isn't going to freeze again.
  • Perpetual Motion Puppy was crazy sick last night. I had been hoping to go hiking with her, but I think she's going to need to stay home. May go running instead.

Level 0 Undine Druid

June challenge thread.

Catching back up.

I was out of town for the last week and a half for work.  Hard outside manual labor does the body good.  Limited food choices in rural Idaho... less good.  I planned ahead and took breakfast and lunch stuff with me. That worked out really well.  Dinner options were a lot more limited.  Ended up going off the vegetarian rails and had fish at one place as it was that or stake.

Getting back into the routine now that I'm home. Getting ever closer to that 180lb mark again. 182.5lb as of this morning.

Level 0 Undine Druid

June challenge thread.

Food was a little all over last week. But I was dialing it in by the end of the week. I'm traveling again today and tomorrow, but want to get back to the meal planning once I'm home.

I checked out the boxing gym! It was a really tough work out. I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure it's my sport calling. I'm going to give it a couple more tries (I figure when it comes to sports you should try at least 3 classes before deciding one way or another).

Had a tough conversation with Husband Man about his health this weekend. Trying to figure out how I can be support of him, while not turning into a bossy know it all.

Level 0 Undine Druid

June challenge thread.